Quantcast
H&K VP9 vs P30 ? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 30, 2014, 07:15 AM   #1
SigP229R
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 6, 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 363
H&K VP9 vs P30 ?

I was browsing GB last night and checking prices on the new H&K VP9 and came to realize that they were several dollars cheaper than the P30's. I was wondering if this is because they are new and H&K is wanting to get them into the market place. As far as I am concerned the P30 is the superior pistol if only because it is hammer and not striker fired. Do not like and do not own and will probably never own a striker fired pistol which is one of the reasons I have never owned a Glock besides which I think they are an ugly pistol. I would like to hear thoughts from the rest of the gang on this .
__________________
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations"
Theodore Roosevelt "Talk soft and carry a big stick"
SigP229R is offline  
Old August 30, 2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Phaedrus/69
Member
 
 
Join Date: June 20, 2013
Posts: 1,066
It's cheaper because it's cheaper to make a striker fired gun than a hammer fired gun. The VP9 has fewer parts. I don't recall the actual count but I saw the parts list for both guns and it's a pretty significant difference.

As to which one is better...man, that's a tough one! I have a P30S with a trigger done by Gray Guns and a new VP9. I also have a USPc 9mm, USPc .40 and a USPf9 (as well as a USC carbine, and used to have a USP45 Tactical in .45). So I've shot a lot of HK guns.

Right out of the box, very first shot with the VP9 I hit dead smack on the X of the X-ring. I've never done that with any other gun! Subjectively it's as good a shooter as my tricked out P30S.

The bore axis of the VP9 is a bit lower; the hammer spring of the P30 runs down the backstrap. The VP9 has no hammer spring so there's room to undercut the grip more/higher up into the gun. In practical terms they're very close but he VP9 might run even flatter than the P30! The bullets seem to be self guided, and I was able to get good hits running the gun as fast I can pull the trigger.

It's very hard to pick a favorite. I too prefer hammer fired guns and I'm comfortable carrying my P30S cocked-and-locked. But I shoot the VP9 at least as well. It's about a wash.

The VP9 is a very good deal! I got mine for $599 with factory installed Meprolight tritium night sights and two mags. Big bonus- the VP9 and P30 use the same mag (which will also fit the USPc and P2000). I already had at last eight mags on hand so now I have ten.

I think the VP9 will be an epic product for HK. No one in their right mind should buy a striker fired service-type pistol without checking out the VP9.

Hopefully HK wil have a VP9c or VP9sk on the way before too long!
Phaedrus/69 is offline  
Old August 30, 2014, 07:37 AM   #3
snooperman
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 4, 2009
Posts: 2,142
I have the P30 and it is the best fitting and shooting 9mm that I have. I have not shot the new Striker pistol from H&K but like all the H&K guns I am sure it is a quality pistol. I like the P30 much better than the SK2000 and the USP that I have.
snooperman is offline  
Old August 30, 2014, 07:37 AM   #4
sigarms228
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 3, 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 655
IMO there are a lot of factors on why the VP9 retails for less then the P30 possibly simply including volume of the VP9 sold

I have read numerous places that the VP9 actually has MORE parts than the P30!!

I own a VP9 and a P30LS. I really dig them both. If I could keep only one it would be my P30LS as I am also partial to hammer fired pistols. The P30/30L is also a proven design. Time will tell with the VP9 but I expect it will also have an excellent long term track record.
sigarms228 is online now  
Old August 30, 2014, 08:32 AM   #5
HexHead
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 15, 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 2,881
I've handled the VP9 quite a bit, though haven't shot one. It brings nothing to the table for me my light LEM P30 doesn't already offer. AFAIC, the V1 P30 is the best 9mm pistol you can buy, I have two of them.
__________________
Sic Semper Tyrannis
HexHead is offline  
Old August 30, 2014, 10:07 AM   #6
HKGuns
Member
 
 
Join Date: August 29, 2004
Location: Bora Bora
Posts: 2,203
I own both and they are close enough to being the same that you can pick your preference striker or hammer. The operation and triggers are the major differences.
HKGuns is offline  
Old August 30, 2014, 11:22 AM   #7
2wheels
Member
 
 
Join Date: March 28, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,090
I think there are three possible factors, first I wouldn't be surprised if HK is intentionally pricing these cheap so they can break into the striker fired market.

I also think that it has a lot to do with the fact that the VP9 takes a lot from the P30. So the development and production costs are probably a lot less than you'd expect from a brand new handgun. They didn't have to reinvent the wheel on this one.

Last, it could simply be that striker fired guns are simpler/cheaper to make.
__________________
CCW - Colt New Agent and TALO CCO, HK P30
BUG - Sig Sauer P238 or S&W 442
Range duty -AutoOrdnance/Ithaca 1911, GSG 1911-22
2wheels is offline  
Old August 31, 2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Phaedrus/69
Member
 
 
Join Date: June 20, 2013
Posts: 1,066
I expect the VP9 to make serious inroads into the sales of the P30 family. Lots of people like striker fired guns and it's roughly $150-$200 cheaper than a P30 (although pricing is all over the place depending on where you buy, the day of the week, the phase of the moon, etc). The P30 offers a ton of options; DA/SA with a decocker, DA/SA with a manual safety and LEM V1 or V2 (all Light LEM from the factory now unless specially ordered). However the LEM is more popular than the other ones with the P30S being the least popular/common of all.

I would think anyone that was thinking about the LEM P30 might strongly consider the VP9 instead. The trigger is much easier to shoot well vs the LEM, at least out of the box. Plus there's the fact that it's cheaper.

Right now I guess I'm more in the P30 camp but I do love the VP9. If/when HK releases a VP9c/VP9sk I will snap one up immediately.
Phaedrus/69 is offline  
Old August 31, 2014, 07:36 AM   #9
snooperman
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 4, 2009
Posts: 2,142
I also like the H&K VP9. I shot my brother's VP9 yesterday and to me it is the best striker that I have ever shot. The way it fit my hand and the over all finish and quality is the best that I have seen. Much better than the SIG P320 in every way.
snooperman is offline  
Old September 1, 2014, 06:32 PM   #10
INMY01TA
Member
 
 
Join Date: November 20, 2008
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 211
VP9 looks like a good gun but if I ever fork over the cash for an HK I want a hammer.
INMY01TA is offline  
Old September 2, 2014, 12:31 PM   #11
5-SHOTS
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 26, 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 464
I prefere the trigger set-up of the P30 V3 (DA/SA with a decocker-only lever). So, for me, the P30 is the better gun.
__________________
I own: SIG-Sauer P226 AL SO (made in Germany); Walther P99 AS (PS, AM, LM version); Colt Government 380 stainless; Norinco TT-Olympia; Weihrauch HW9 Target Trophy.
I owned: Bernardelli 7.65mm (.32ACP) striker fired; Beretta 84F; S&W 686-6 Plus 2.5''; S&W 649-1 Bodyguard; Ruger SP101 DAO.
5-SHOTS is offline  
Old September 2, 2014, 02:28 PM   #12
tarosean
Member
 
 
Join Date: October 22, 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 4,173
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if HK is intentionally pricing these cheap so they can break into the striker fired market.

huh??? You do realize that they were the innovators of said market, and produced striker fired guns up until 5 or so years ago.
tarosean is online now  
Old September 2, 2014, 02:48 PM   #13
2wheels
Member
 
 
Join Date: March 28, 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarosean View Post
huh??? You do realize that they were the innovators of said market, and produced striker fired guns up until 5 or so years ago.
I do realize that, however the current striker fired market is dominated by companies like Glock and S&W. That's the market that HK seems to be targeting with this new gun.
__________________
CCW - Colt New Agent and TALO CCO, HK P30
BUG - Sig Sauer P238 or S&W 442
Range duty -AutoOrdnance/Ithaca 1911, GSG 1911-22
2wheels is offline  
Old September 28, 2014, 12:49 AM   #14
Avaaator
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 28, 2014
Posts: 3
Looking for a reliable CCL candidate. Looks like the VP9 will fit the bill.

Last edited by Avaaator; September 28, 2014 at 01:13 AM.
Avaaator is offline  
Old September 28, 2014, 01:12 AM   #15
Avaaator
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 28, 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus/69 View Post
It's cheaper because it's cheaper to make a striker fired gun than a hammer fired gun. The VP9 has fewer parts. I don't recall the actual count but I saw the parts list for both guns and it's a pretty significant difference.

As to which one is better...man, that's a tough one! I have a P30S with a trigger done by Gray Guns and a new VP9. I also have a USPc 9mm, USPc .40 and a USPf9 (as well as a USC carbine, and used to have a USP45 Tactical in .45). So I've shot a lot of HK guns.

Right out of the box, very first shot with the VP9 I hit dead smack on the X of the X-ring. I've never done that with any other gun! Subjectively it's as good a shooter as my tricked out P30S.

The bore axis of the VP9 is a bit lower; the hammer spring of the P30 runs down the backstrap. The VP9 has no hammer spring so there's room to undercut the grip more/higher up into the gun. In practical terms they're very close but he VP9 might run even flatter than the P30! The bullets seem to be self guided, and I was able to get good hits running the gun as fast I can pull the trigger.

It's very hard to pick a favorite. I too prefer hammer fired guns and I'm comfortable carrying my P30S cocked-and-locked. But I shoot the VP9 at least as well. It's about a wash.

The VP9 is a very good deal! I got mine for $599 with factory installed Meprolight tritium night sights and two mags. Big bonus- the VP9 and P30 use the same mag (which will also fit the USPc and P2000). I already had at last eight mags on hand so now I have ten.

I think the VP9 will be an epic product for HK. No one in their right mind should buy a striker fired service-type pistol without checking out the VP9.

Hopefully HK wil have a VP9c or VP9sk on the way before too long!
Phaedrus/69,

Where did you find your VP9 with sights for $599? I will be buying one asap and haven't found that kind of value so far! Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Avaaator is offline  
Old September 28, 2014, 10:48 AM   #16
RichardInFlorida
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 19, 2007
Location: Sunny Tampa Bay, Florida!
Posts: 133
If you don't like striker-fired guns, then it seems the P30 would be the only way to go.

I, however, like striker-fired guns, and I have extensively shot the VP9. I have found it to be completely reliable, very accurate and extremely enjoyable to shoot. I recommend this pistol without hesitation or qualification.

-Richard
RichardInFlorida is offline  
Old September 28, 2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Avaaator
Member
 
 
Join Date: September 28, 2014
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInFlorida View Post
If you don't like striker-fired guns, then it seems the P30 would be the only way to go.

I, however, like striker-fired guns, and I have extensively shot the VP9. I have found it to be completely reliable, very accurate and extremely enjoyable to shoot. I recommend this pistol without hesitation or qualification.

-Richard
Thanks Richard!
Avaaator is offline  
Old June 13, 2015, 12:47 AM   #18
bobby68
Member
 
 
Join Date: November 17, 2004
Posts: 233
I once watched a video of a guy getting a non-fire on a round after pulling 3 or 4 times after it failed to fire, and a success on the 4 or 5th strike. Would it be correct that the HK30 could be used to get multiple strikes on such a round, but not the vp9?
bobby68 is offline  
Old June 13, 2015, 01:57 AM   #19
bobby68
Member
 
 
Join Date: November 17, 2004
Posts: 233
I don't know about cheaper, but I don't think a discount should factor into the choice of took to protect your life.

I see many complaints about the p30 trigger travel, but they seem to be about the LEM model. I've seen a pistol fire on a round after 4or 5 strikes from a hammered pistol with repeat pull/trigger capability. I've heard of striker fired guns belong more finicky with some ammo, and they can't restrike a round that fails to fire.
bobby68 is offline  
Old June 13, 2015, 03:36 AM   #20
B!ngoFuelUSN
Member
 
 
Join Date: March 7, 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 324
OP, it seems that there is a majority of advocates here for the VP9 and I would agree. Like others, I own a bunch of different H&K's - ranging from the P7M8 and 13 to the P30/VP9 and many models in between. All are excellent though the trigger quality varies among them.
But I was very surprised when I picked up the VP9 for the first time at the range. It points as perfectly as the P30 (since it's essentially the same form as the P30) and fires accurately and dependably. It's really nice. Some would say that the stock trigger on a Glock is better than stock on the VP9 and that might be true. But the ergonomics and mag ejection location is far better (for me) than a Glock.
If you like striker fired guns and their manual of arms just buy one. If you like DA/SA with an operable hammer and decocker then buy the P30. Either way it will likely end up being the best firearm you own.
B
B!ngoFuelUSN is offline  
Old June 13, 2015, 07:48 AM   #21
HexHead
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 15, 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post

I see many complaints about the p30 trigger travel, but they seem to be about the LEM model.
The LEM trigger takes a little getting used to, because it's different, but it's the superior trigger. It feels like a 2-stage trigger on a rifle. Only your first trigger pull is "long" (you're finishing cocking the trigger), subsequent shots using the easily discernible trigger reset are short trigger pulls. That first trigger pull is no longer than on a DA/SA trigger, but much, much lighter. You can also stage the trigger while getting the sights onto target, so when it's at eye level, you just need to break the trigger.
__________________
Sic Semper Tyrannis
HexHead is offline  
Old June 14, 2015, 12:05 AM   #22
mgmorden
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 22, 2009
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby68 View Post
I once watched a video of a guy getting a non-fire on a round after pulling 3 or 4 times after it failed to fire, and a success on the 4 or 5th strike. Would it be correct that the HK30 could be used to get multiple strikes on such a round, but not the vp9?
That would be correct, but why are you striking on a round a 4th or 5th time? Heck you shouldn't even strike a second time on the round - it's already proven unreliable once and you're just wasting time rolling the dice on a second try. If you're trying 4 or 5 times you could have already cycled the slide and gone again.

PS - second strike isn't a hammer vs striker thing. Some striker fired guns are 2nd-strike capable (Taurus PT series, Walther P99AS, etc), and some hammer fired guns are not (Beretta PX4 "C" series, Walther PPX, Kel-tec PF9, etc).

It doesn't really hurt to be there, but IMHO I wouldn't base weapons choice on that as its something you shouldn't be doing anyways. Tap, rack, bang.
__________________
"What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving." - Adrian Rogers
mgmorden is offline  
Old June 14, 2015, 02:50 AM   #23
PabloJ
Member
 
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Posts: 4,288
I'm not sure what P30 is but I know VP9 is ugly version of Walther P99. There is zero reason to buy VP9 because Turkish copy of P99 called Canik TP9 can be had for half the price of the H&K.

Last edited by PabloJ; June 14, 2015 at 03:12 AM.
PabloJ is offline  
Old June 14, 2015, 11:19 AM   #24
460Kodiak
Member
 
 
Join Date: February 12, 2011
Location: In a place.....by cool stuff.
Posts: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJ View Post
I'm not sure what P30 is but I know VP9 is ugly version of Walther P99. There is zero reason to buy VP9 because Turkish copy of P99 called Canik TP9 can be had for half the price of the H&K.
So you don't know what half the discussion is about by your own admission, and then you base your answer on the appearance of one of the guns in question, not functionality or build quality. Looks and visual appeal are totally based in the purchaser's opinion and to make a qualifying statement based on that makes no sense at all.

And what the heck does a Canik copy have to do with a discussion about the differences between the P30 and VP9? "Nothing" would be the answer to that.
__________________
My screen name is the result of testosterone driven jokes between friends, excessive laughter, and a bit of alcohol. I do not live in Alaska, and I've never been attacked by a bear, though, I have had bear encounters.
460Kodiak is offline  
Old June 14, 2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Rinspeed
Member
 
 
Join Date: December 25, 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJ
I'm not sure what P30 is but I know VP9 is ugly version of Walther P99. There is zero reason to buy VP9 because Turkish copy of P99 called Canik TP9 can be had for half the price of the H&K.




If they are that good how come you're the only one that owns one.
Rinspeed is offline  
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise.
This site, its contents, Shooting Reviews, and its contents are Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Firearms Forum, Inc.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER
Although The High Road has attempted to provide accurate information on the forum, The High Road assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. All information is provided "as is" with all faults without warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Neither The High Road nor any of its directors, members, managers, employees, agents, vendors, or suppliers will be liable for any direct, indirect, general, bodily injury, compensatory, special, punitive, consequential, or incidental damages including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage to data arising out of the use or inability to use this forum or any services associated with this forum, or damages from the use of or reliance on the information present on this forum, even if you have been advised of the possibility of such damages.