Quantcast
My Dan Wesson PM7 broke - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 20, 2014, 11:20 PM   #1
LopezEL

My Dan Wesson PM7 broke

So I was sitting here dry firing my gun in bed and all of a sudden, when I pulled the trigger I heard something hit the ceiling, bounce off the fan, and land in front of my dogs face. Surprised the heck out of me! When I went to pull the hammer back on the gun, it did not feel right. I looked at it and noticed that a piece had broken off the hammer.

I bought this gun new and it probably has around 5k rounds through it with no issues whatsoever. Im sure it wpuld probably fire as is, with the broken hammer. However, can anyone tell me whose hammer Dan Wesson uses on these pistols? I would like to replace it with something identical.

Old August 21, 2014, 12:24 AM   #2
1KPerDay

They use Ed Brown parts last I checked. If you call DW them they'll take care of it.
Old August 21, 2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Lucky Derby

Contact DW. I would be really surprised if they didn't take care of it for you.
Old August 21, 2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Saleen322

Wow, that is really odd! I agree with the advice to contact Dan Wesson as I am sure they will make that right with you.
Old August 21, 2014, 09:00 AM   #5
5-SHOTS

Quote:
I would like to replace it with something identical.
I'd replace it with something different... Not a good hammer design IMHO.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:49 AM   #6
bds
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-SHOTS
I'd replace it with something different... Not a good hammer design IMHO.
Skeletonized hammer design was the result of match shooting and thousands of rounds are fired each month for practice/matches. Over the last 2 decades, I have yet to see a skeletonized hammer fail like that.

I think it's an odd failure more attributable to manufacture/materials than poor design.

Dan Wesson comes with 5-year warranty for the original buyer and I would contact CZ-USA/Dan Wesson customer service for replacement - http://cz-usa.com/support/warranty/

1-607-336-1174
dwservice@cz-usa.com

Do something meaningful and fun ... today:
Support vendors offering 5% THR discount - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760272
Support THR by becoming a contributing member - http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Support Pay it Forward thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698208

Revelation 19:11
Old August 21, 2014, 11:05 AM   #7
LopezEL

I sent them an email with an explanation and pictures. I'll be awaiting a response.

I know I bought this gun from manofsteele (Jason) back when he was selling a lot of CZ and Dan Wesson products but I'm not 100% sure when I bought it. I think it was around 2008. The serial number starts with S801****
Old August 21, 2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Stony

I saw one of their revolver hammers break in half at a match once....never had much use for the DW's. But to each his own....
Old August 21, 2014, 11:21 AM   #9
mgmorden

Realistically the error was made by the company that made the part (Ed Brown if the above info is correct). Still - occasionally small parts fail. This one apparently lasted 6 years and 5k rounds.

DW should replace it, but if not buying a new hammer and having it fitted isn't the end of the world.
Old August 21, 2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Capt. Ct.

First time I ever saw that. Then again stranger things have happened.
Old August 21, 2014, 11:47 PM   #11
davidalyn

Forget the hammer.....why were you dry firing in bed?

Seriously, Ed Brown did have a bad batch of hammers about 2008ish. Dan Wesson was unlucky enough install them on some of their 1911s. Yours is not the first one to break and won't be the last one. Dan Wesson replaced some broken hammers a few years ago.

As a side note, I have the same hammer on my 2008 DW CBOB.
Old August 22, 2014, 08:48 AM   #12
5-SHOTS

Quote:
Skeletonized hammer design was the result of match shooting and thousands of rounds are fired each month for practice/matches. Over the last 2 decades.
I know that but I still think this hammer design in particular is on the "extreme" side of the skeletonized hammers spectrum: the incredible lack of material and the deep engraves for thumb cocking are a poor choice.

Last edited by 5-SHOTS; August 22, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:26 PM   #13
JudgeHolden10

One of the DW guys has a profile on 1911forum.com. His screen name is Keith DW, and he's really good about promptly returning PMs. You could always try him.
Old August 24, 2014, 12:26 AM   #14
ApacheCoTodd

Didn't we see this happen on another post in the last year or so - maybe two? I recall thinking how much it would hurt to cock the hammer. Discussions on MIM. Ed Brown discussions, etc...
Old August 24, 2014, 02:30 PM   #15
orionengnr

Yep, that was a problem with some DW 1911s in the 08-09 timeframe. My 10mm CBOB is an '08, and has never had that problem, but I am aware of it and am waiting for it to happen.

Of course, mine has fewer than 1000 rounds through it, so it might be a while.
Old August 24, 2014, 04:08 PM   #16
scramasax

Always remember... ANYTHING MAN MADE CAN FAIL
Murphy's Law: It will fail at the worst possible time

There just seems to be a trend of poor QC that has been getting worse from the gun manufacturers in the past several years. Don't know if it is because of larger volume production or due to them catching up with the rest of business greed in cheapening the product as much as possible.
Old August 25, 2014, 01:41 PM   #17
LopezEL

So, customer service responded and said they knew those hammers had problems. They have no old stock replacements and have encouraged me to buy the new hammer they use. The new ones are $80+$9 shipping.

Kinda feel let down since they and everyone else here seems to know that the hammers that were used in these pistols are faulty.
Old August 25, 2014, 02:01 PM   #18
ApacheCoTodd

Wait... What?

We know they were (some-all? Doesn't matter) defective.
We acknowledge that yours is no doubt one of them.
We (of course) no longer carry them for replacement.
We suggest you burn a $100 bill getting our preferred replacement.

Seems like a call to at least one level above that last tool is in order.
Old August 25, 2014, 02:57 PM   #19
CMC

A barstock hammer from Ed Brown is about 60 dollars 80 bucks is way overpriced.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod1298.aspx

Last edited by CMC; August 25, 2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add link to hammer
Old August 26, 2014, 01:10 AM   #20
MICHAEL T

I know a few years back their were several that broke. DW took care of them.
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols and now American Classic 1911's have their own place

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 26, 2014, 05:02 AM   #21
ApacheCoTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC View Post
A barstock hammer from Ed Brown is about 60 dollars 80 bucks is way overpriced.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...-prod1298.aspx
Sounds like a plan... Then I'd list the broken "Dan Wesson" one on E-bay for $100 and keep re-listing it till it's gone.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:49 AM   #22
98Redline

I think a call back to another CS rep is in order. DW should take care of you.

It's not like a 1911 hammer is some sort of specialized part. They may not have any of the original parts left but I am sure they have plenty of replacement hammers for their other guns (CBOB, Valor, CCO, ECO, etc...)
Old September 1, 2014, 09:10 PM   #23
Rinspeed

Quote:
So, customer service responded and said they knew those hammers had problems. They have no old stock replacements and have encouraged me to buy the new hammer they use. The new ones are $80+$9 shipping.

I would be very pissed at that response.
Old September 2, 2014, 10:11 PM   #24
Teachu2

Cross DW off MY bucket list!

Might give Ed Brown a call and see if they will replace it - or at least cut you a deal.
Old September 2, 2014, 11:07 PM   #25
MICHAEL T

I would go to

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

They have a DW section and person name of KeithDW is on their . He works for DW. Contact him might get better treatment.
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols and now American Classic 1911's have their own place

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com