Quantcast
1911 for around $800 - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 2, 2014, 01:48 AM   #26
duanebuck.schultz

I would say the Remington 1911R1. I have one and they are very accurate, American made, 1 year cleaning service for free, a rebate and they come with a match grade barrel right out of the box. They are about $750 or less for the basic R1.
Old September 2, 2014, 04:44 PM   #27
TfflHndn

IMO, folks pay an awful lot for brands in the 1911 arena. Particularly since many of those brands get their frames from the same place - the Philippines. Cut out the middleman and look at a Citadel or ATI. I have a Citadel commander size with Hogue grips and fixed sights that shoots great and eats everything I feed it. For target shooting, my ATI Thunderbolt is accurate, has adjustable sights and a rail, and after replacing the recoil spring it has been 100% reliable. Both are well within your budget. Neither is a Colt or a Springfield, but I didn't pay extra for those name brands. Worth a look. Good luck.
Pacific Division Individual Rifle Champion '85
All-Marine Matches '85
Pacific Division Rifle & Pistol Team Gold Medalist, '87
Pacific Division Individual Pistol Silver Medal, '87
Old September 2, 2014, 06:24 PM   #28
george burns

There are so many guns at that price point, you can basically sit and just call out names. You need to pick one you like and just go for it. I would get a SIG from slickguns, the thousand dollar guns are in the 7's . the Colts and springers are always good value, and the Girsans and Rock Islands are half that. They all shoot, pick one.
Old September 2, 2014, 06:27 PM   #29
wally

RIA Tactical, spend the savings on ammo and range fees.
Old September 2, 2014, 08:12 PM   #30
wojownik

Springfield and Colt would be at the top of my list.
Old September 2, 2014, 08:42 PM   #31
Hurryin' Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzeye8 View Post
I am looking at getting my first 1911. I've been doing some research but I want to just see what you guys think. I am looking for a full size 1911 5" barrel mainly for range/target use. I would like to stay around $800 but could go a bit more if I need to.

What are your opinions on who makes the best 1911 in that price range. Ruger, Remington, Springfield, Para, magnum research, or is there another I don't know of that is better? From what I am seeing it sounds like the springfield range officer might be the best choice.
FWIW, I picked up my first Model 1911A1 ("my" meaning one not loaned to me by Uncle Sugar ) about two months ago. I bought a brand new Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 (a PKZSE) for $503 and change, and am absolutely tickled to death with it. Except for the "series 80" firing pin block safety (a Colt invention), a slightly longer trigger, and the barrel hood "in the white", it is a spot-on reproduction of the World War II Model 1911A1. People who associate Auto-Ordnance with the days when they were owned by Numrich need a wake-up call. Under Kahr ownership the quality and workmanship has done (at least) a 180. And they are American-made (assuming Mass is still in the Union).
Old September 2, 2014, 10:38 PM   #32
bullzeye8

I don't really want to get a ria or similar. I would like a bit nicer one. I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I have seen great stuff about kimber but I have seen some bad to so that is one thing I am thinking about with them but it seems more good than bad. There is lots of positive on dan wesson and I here they use a lot of ed brown parts which is a plus. It is a very basic gun and is a bit more expensive. The springfield seems very nice to. From what I have seen though it sounds like the kimber or dan wesson are better. What do you guys think from these 3 options? am I correct in my statements? I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.
Old September 2, 2014, 10:52 PM   #33
MICHAEL T

For that kind of money you can get a hand fit Metro Arms with some change left over.
http://bersachat.com #1 board on net for Bersa pistols and now American Classic 1911's have their own place

http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old September 2, 2014, 11:05 PM   #34
200Apples

Quote:
I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=759632

Overpriced and poor customer service... which is the exact opposite of what you'll find with a Springfield pistol.
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000
Old September 2, 2014, 11:12 PM   #35
weisse52

A Colt is always the right answer!...he says again. My second choice would be the Springfield RO.

US Navy
Kentucky National Guard 223 MP Co.
Old September 2, 2014, 11:47 PM   #36
CNobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzeye8 View Post
I don't really want to get a ria or similar. I would like a bit nicer one. I think I now have it limited down to a dan wesson heritage, kimber custom 2, or a springfield loaded or RO. I have seen great stuff about kimber but I have seen some bad to so that is one thing I am thinking about with them but it seems more good than bad. There is lots of positive on dan wesson and I here they use a lot of ed brown parts which is a plus. It is a very basic gun and is a bit more expensive. The springfield seems very nice to. From what I have seen though it sounds like the kimber or dan wesson are better. What do you guys think from these 3 options? am I correct in my statements? I think I might be leaning towards the dan wesson.
I guess it would help if we knew exactly what you wanted like adjustable sights, etc.

I recommended the Springfield Loaded, my only beef with those is the need to use a hex wrench to loosen the full length guide rod.

My other choice would be a Sig 1911...I think they're a much better value than Kimber. Most come with front strap checkering, night sights, and etc.

Both have lifetime warranty, hard to choose.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:05 AM   #37
bannockburn

I would still go with a Colt at your price point but there's a lot to like with either a Dan Wesson, SIG, S&W, or Springfield Armory 1911. Find one that has most of the features you want at a price you can afford.
Old September 3, 2014, 12:08 PM   #38
nugun55

I usually don't make recommendations on these things...But.... The Colt O1991 @ $769 is a lot of 1911 for the money. If I didn't already have one, I'd buy it. I'm half temped to buy it, anyway.
Old September 3, 2014, 01:27 PM   #39
Chocolate Bayou

The STI Spartan is well within your price range. STI doesn't make this line, they import from Philipines. Everything i read or heard has been positive, but I haven't shot one so no first hand knowledge.
Old September 3, 2014, 02:06 PM   #40
anothernewb

In with the others. Can't go wrong with the Ruger. Remmington model seems to be pretty solid too. Range officer is a fine gun that you can't lose on either. STI is a fine unit, but the base model Spartan is an armscor frame. Not that that's a bad thing. I have all three (RO, Ruger, STI) and they each function and shoot very well.

Colt is a fine gun too, but like it's always been you get a basic model with a pony roll mark, for the price of every one elses enhanced ones. But not to bash the colt either. Even little kids want a pony, lol.
Old September 3, 2014, 02:09 PM   #41
TfflHndn

Did you see the Remington R1 enhanced on grabagun? Looks like a great value.
Pacific Division Individual Rifle Champion '85
All-Marine Matches '85
Pacific Division Rifle & Pistol Team Gold Medalist, '87
Pacific Division Individual Pistol Silver Medal, '87
Old September 3, 2014, 02:37 PM   #42
Skyshot

I think the Ruger is a steal at $640.
Old September 3, 2014, 03:18 PM   #43
tipoc

The Colt will be your best choice. The materials of construction are second to none and it is a basic 1911.

tipoc
Old September 3, 2014, 05:11 PM   #44
handloader357

My most recent 1911 is a 5 inch Ruger. Great bang for your buck and made in the USA. I also happen to love the looks of the Ruger. My National Match Colt does group better, but the Ruger is still very respectable in the accuracy department.

I do also have a Phillipines made ATI 1911. Its a well made gun and their customer service was great in resolving some minor issues, but maybe I'm old fashioned as I like my American made stuff better.

Ive heard good things about the Remington and Springfield guns too but haven't had any experience with them. I have a personal deep rooted hatred for Springfield related to another product so I will not give them any of my business. I may have gotten the Remington, but found a great deal locally on the Ruger.
Old September 3, 2014, 05:34 PM   #45
Armor Snail

Tisas GI

Then $400 of upgrades, ammo, and holsters.

Ymmv
Old September 3, 2014, 10:26 PM   #46
243winxb

springfield range officer http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...&cat=20&sub=21
Old September 4, 2014, 05:56 PM   #47
UKWildcatFan

Springfield Loaded stainless was my first handgun, let alone 1911. It'll never be sold, as it's STILL my favorite of my plethora of handguns.
Old September 4, 2014, 08:17 PM   #48
Bristol Mt.Man

The last handgun I purchased was a Sig Sauer Match Elite. 1911 style, in 40 S&W. Absolutely no complaints here. Gun is solid, reliable, and shoots better than I can. I paid $838, plus shipping. Happy shopping.
Old September 4, 2014, 11:00 PM   #49
Damon555

A Kimber Custom II will fit the bill nicely......
Old September 5, 2014, 10:32 AM   #50
AFK

I used to be a Kimber fan and I still own 2 that I really like, but I recently found out that their customer service stinks. PM me if you want the horrid details but I would go with a company that will actually take care of their customers and have competent people working on their firearms. My next 1911 will be Dan Wesson