Quantcast
Experience with Taurus snubbies? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 29, 2002, 07:49 PM   #1
Dave Markowitz

Experience with Taurus snubbies?

Anyone have experience with the Tuarus snubbies? I'd like to get a 2" or 3" snubbie in .38 or .357 sometime and they seem like a good buy. E.g. the Model 850 CIA

My only recent experience with a Taurus is a Tracker .45 ACP that my dad (Ron in PA) recently bought. The DA pull out of the box sucked but is improving as he shoots and dry fires it.

TIA.
Old December 29, 2002, 08:16 PM   #2
3 gun

Just one Taurus in the family, a 605. I got a good one. It's worked/shot great from day one. This is not always the case with Taurus products.
Old December 29, 2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Coffee357

Was recently in the market for a good snubby. Always liked the
3". I was very disapointed to find that taurus no longer lists the
three inch guns in their catalog. Of the 2" guns from Taurus I
looked at, the fit and finish was very nice (and you gotta love
their grips). The only flaw I saw was that the front sight post
was milled off center on some of the barrels. That pretty much
stopped me (that day). I'll probably be looking at the 3" sp101,
gp100, or an old model 13 / 65 if I can find one in that barrel
length. Just examine the one you want to buy and you should
be fine. If not, there is always that lifetime warranty...

Coffee
Old December 29, 2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Spackler

I have one of their 2" .38 specials, model 85UL. It's been accurate and reliable. Very light and easy to carry. It's not especially comfortable to shoot. I find compact .40S&W and .45 autoloaders more comfortable to shoot than a 2" .38. I can't imagine shooting one of the scandium or ti guns, especially in .357.
Old December 29, 2002, 08:33 PM   #5
Bacchus

I've shot a 605, too. It was really well made in stainless. No complaints from me or the owner.
Old December 29, 2002, 08:45 PM   #6
Betty

I own a Taurus 617 (7 shot .357), and it is an excellent revolver. Though my USPc is my current carry gun, I still go back to the 617 every once in awhile. It's quite accurate for a snubbie, and points naturally for me.

At 100 yrds. I shot at a 5 gallon bucket single-action, hitting it twice out of the 7 shots, and around 2-3" under it with the rest of the cylinder.
Old December 29, 2002, 09:09 PM   #7
Dave Markowitz

Thanks guys and gal!
Old December 29, 2002, 09:20 PM   #8
George Hill

Very good.

"Courage is when you are afraid, but you saddle up anyway."
Old December 29, 2002, 09:26 PM   #9
Kevinch

I had a Model 85 with the standard hammer in blue. I did have to send it back to Taurus as out the box it had 2 problems:

First, the barrel was machined wrong. When threaded on the frame, it turned a little too far & the front sight was canted. The POA was way off. I should have noticed that by looking at the gun when I bought it.

Second, it was light striking the primer in DA.

This was a good 8 to 10 years ago. I sent the gun back to Taurus, and it was returned right, although I do seem to remember getting a little anxious for its return. It worked flawlessly after that, & I was pretty accurate with it.

I sold it to a friend to fund another purchase, he still has it & reports no problems with it.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. -- Thomas Paine

TFL Alumni Senior Member
Old December 29, 2002, 09:55 PM   #10
happy old sailor

got a Taurus 41 mag snubby (think mdl 415) and it is well put together, dull grey stainless, five shot, ported, and shoots very well. recoil is less than i thought it was going to be, still a little stiff, but the ribber grips calms it down some. my woman thinks it is great fun but tires of it after a couple cylinders. says it recoils more than her SnW 29. think twist better describes it.

carried it w/me this a.m. while walking my woods. no fear of man or beast.

i also have the mdl 608, a .357 eignt shooter. it is also well put together and finished. just look a Taurus over really good before buying. i did and got two good ones.
Old December 29, 2002, 11:36 PM   #11
gbelleh

I have had no problems with my Taurus 85 UL .38 Special.

Ist dies das haus des Johann Mattes?
Old December 29, 2002, 11:42 PM   #12
Tamara

My 731UL has been a champ from day one. It has just an absolute gem of a trigger for a coil-sprung J-frame-sized gun.
Old December 29, 2002, 11:53 PM   #13
Neal Bloom

We have a blue 605. Very reliable and suprisingly accurate. Heard a lot of stories about Taurus quality but so far we have been very pleased with it. Would not hesitate to buy another.
Old December 29, 2002, 11:58 PM   #14
emann

I had that shiny black version of the 605. It was a good gun but the finish didn't hold up well at all.
Old December 30, 2002, 12:07 AM   #15
10-Ring

The nice ones are really nice, while the not os nice ones need serious help. The 2 used snubbie 38's I've shot were very nice and very accurate, while the 3 or 4 Trackers I checked out in stores had very gritty triggers. Might just be a matter of break in tho.
Old December 30, 2002, 12:11 AM   #16
Alan Fud

Own the 850 and two 85's (one with a concealed hammer and one with a regular hammer) ... all three of them are stainless steel and quality handguns.

I owned a titanium ultra-lite 85 but traded it in for a S&W342 when I saw a grapefruit size fireball coming out of the ports. Stay away from ported defensive guns. The S&W and the Taurus SS models don't have ports to worry about.
Old December 30, 2002, 03:57 AM   #17
Okiecruffler

I carry a 605 that I haven't had a bit of trouble with, and now with a set of lighter springs it has the trigger pull of a S&W.

John A. Monroe, Cruffler, Contender fiend, 311 addict, PICU nurse.
Old December 30, 2002, 05:26 AM   #18
dave

I have a 605, stainless steel, factory comp, and I love this gun. I agree with the post that said, when you get a good one - it's real good.

I've shot a couple of the semis and don't think I would buy one. But I truely like this 605. Looks like a million bucks, shoots great and has, I kid you not, the smoothest action of any revolver I've ever shot.

All in all, if you get a good one, I think you'll find it to be one of the best bangs for your buck. They are priced quite fair.
Old December 30, 2002, 05:36 AM   #19
Kahr carrier

I have shot a few they seem to be a good buy for the price. The best Taurus experience Ive had is shooting my friends ankle gun a Taurus Model 605 3 inch with the 3 hole porting on top of the barrel it was loaded with 125 grain 357 what a blast.
Old December 30, 2002, 08:29 AM   #20
tlhelmer

A friend of mine has one and they are really good guns.
Old December 30, 2002, 09:03 AM   #21
RJ likeguns

I have a 2" ported 85. I had 2 light strikes out of 50 on the Winchester white box Wal - Mart ammo. Other than that, no problems. I really like the gun.
Old December 30, 2002, 09:59 AM   #22
Still Learning

About two years ago a neighbor picked up a used 2 inch Taurus and asked me to look it over. We ran about 200 rounds through it and it seemed to be fine. The double action was a bit rough but certainly not insurmountable. Accuracy was acceptable--as I recall I was shooting groups around 2 inches at around 7 to 10 yards.

The +P .38 loads were a might harsher in this little package but then again I'm used to shooting and carrying Kimber 1911's or a 4 inch S&W 624 in .44 spl. Both handle recoil better but I do sometimes wish for a lightweight snubbie!

If I keep thinking about this, I'll never be able to afford that Steyr Scout!
Old December 30, 2002, 10:01 AM   #23
Elkslayer

I've got 3. All perform well.

First one is a 605 3". Shoots well with no problems. Next is a 2" stainless 44 special with a concealed hammer. Sweet gun but kinda heavy to conceal except for on a belt.

Last one is my favorite.

A 445 3" 44 special which I picked it up from a pawnshop in terrible condition. Had light rust spots and had scratches from what looked like sliding on concrete. Gunsmith friend of mine put a blue job on it and buffed out all of the marks (for the most part) now it is my "truck gun".

Gotta love those 44 specials!
Old December 30, 2002, 10:21 AM   #24
Waitone

I own a 2" bead blasted SS Taurus 850 dressed up with a Barami Hip-Grip. Trigger is fairly stout at approximately 10 lbs.

I routinely work out with it at 75 yards using garden variety .38spl reloads. Never had a problem. Goes bang everytime. Hits POA.

Barami Hip-Grip lets it disappear when concealed.

Outstanding CCH rig.
"As riches increase and accumulate in few hands, as luxury prevails in society, virtue will be in a greater degree considered as only a graceful appendage of wealth, and the tendency of things will be to depart from the republican standard. This is the real disposition of human nature; it is what neither the honorable member nor myself can correct. It is a common misfortunate that awaits our State constitution, as well as all others."

Alexander Hamilton (speech to the New York Ratifying Convention, June 1788)
Old December 30, 2002, 10:42 AM   #25
P12

My wife has an 85 stainless. She has shot handguns very little. She shoots sub 3" groups and 7 yards.

Tyrants prefer: an unarmed and gagged peasant.

Malo mori quam foedari. Malon Labe.