Quantcast
KY pistol laws (i'm not lazy!) - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > Legal

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 29, 2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Omni04

KY pistol laws (i'm not lazy!)

i'm not trying to be lazy and just post a question that is easily found on these forums, but i can't find it anywhere.

Does anybody know Kentucky pistol laws? I know i have to be 21 to buy one but can i still own one and take it to shooting ranges at 18?

i have skimmed these forums for quite a while now, and i have read posts on other forums and even been to some law sites (which kind of lost me, or were several years old). Most people either say "i think" or "i'm pretty sure" well i don't find those very comforting when it could land me in jail Who locally might i be able to call? County Sheriff? Local Police department?

I also heard that some states let you own them at 18, just not buy them. But, if i gave the money to a parent to buy it for me and they gave it to me that is illegal too. The reason i am curious about that law is because a loved one recently passed away, and had a pistol. And i am wondering if i would be able to legally own it since i didn't actually purchase it.

any information here, private message, or even a link to a post that answers this question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old November 29, 2004, 11:58 AM   #2
txgho1911

Other resources

check out www.packing.org state pages.
Also look at the KY State gov websites like the Attorney General and state police.
Old November 29, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Greg L

County Sheriff should be able to point you in the right direction at least. State AG's office should be able to help as well. Ask them where in the statues they found thier information so that you can verify it as well.

I'll restrain myself from an I think answer .

Greg
Old November 29, 2004, 01:18 PM   #4
Swamprabbit

Try searching here:

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/search.htm
Old November 29, 2004, 01:41 PM   #5
RooK

You guys are wasting your breath having him search KY law or packing.org. I've went through this same exact search, it's not listed. I'm 20 and in similar circumstances of possesing a handgun. KY law only makes mention of juveniles and their possesion. Nothing is said about people between 18-20 and the only thing I can surmise is that your allowed to posses one so long as it is gifted or bought through private sale, basically defaulting to federal law.

If legalities are in doubt, let your parent buy it and they keep it as 'theirs' until your turn 21. You can still borrow it for shooting, hunting, or the like. Also, you can ask local CLEO, but seeing as some of my local gun dealers don't even know the laws, I doubt the LE are much better.
Old November 29, 2004, 02:48 PM   #6
Russ

Go to www.KC3.org
Old November 29, 2004, 04:20 PM   #7
Omni04

i am kind of glad i'm not the only one having this problem rook. In KY i know you don't have ot have a permit or anything to own a gun, as long as you are old enough. So i wouldn't be abel to get in any trouble if i 'borrowed' it from a parent?
Old November 29, 2004, 04:56 PM   #8
Battlespace

You are taking a lot for granted in borrowing a handgun. If the LEO who happens to stop you believes you up front, you are home free. The chances of that are about zero to none. I doubt if a notarized letter from your parents would suffice. This means you will more than likely be arrested and your parent's gun confiscated. You will have to make bail and then be scheduled for a court appearance. Will the judge believe your parents? My better judgment says - wait a few years. If you are convicted of an illegal possesion of a handgun at 18 or 19 you can just about forget about ever legally owning a handgun.

I am not an attorney, don't reside near you, just offering you some common sense advice.
Old November 29, 2004, 06:24 PM   #9
joebogey

You can contact the Ky Attorney General.
They should be able to answer your questions. I've talked to them before concerning my wife's CCW.
They were very helpful.

http://ag.ky.gov/office/contact.htm
Old November 29, 2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Swamprabbit

Well then, I can tell you that, being a life long resident of KY, that the laws are quite liberal regarding handgun ownership. However, you need to follow some general advice if you are under 21:

1. Don't carry a handgun in a municipality (especially Louisville or Lexington);
2. Don't carry concealed;
3. Unless you are on your own property, don't be in posession of a handgun without your parent or legal guardian present;

No, this isn't legal advice - just things that will keep you out of trouble with LEOs. Things used to be different here when it was just a bunch of farm boys walking around but things changed with the school shootings and other juvenile violence in towns that used to not have any problems (sorry for the run-on sentence).
Old November 29, 2004, 06:55 PM   #11
Omni04

what exactly is an LEO? and if it says if somebody under the age of 18 has one outside of their home, or a shooting range it is a class A dismeanor. How bad is that exactly? because i am over 18, and i only plan on having it at a shooting range so i doubt i would get in any worse trouble than that ^_^

but thanks a lot for the idea on contacted the attorney general, im about to write them an e-mail right now!
Old November 30, 2004, 12:09 AM   #12
RooK

Battlespace, you apparently don't live in KY...

We can carry a handgun, under 18, by state law with just a signed note from your parent, traveling to and from the designated activity (hunting, target practice, etc.). It's written right in the law book as well, so keep your parent's note and a copy of the law with you. We can even carry guns across school property if we must cross it in order to carry out some duty (such as hunting). Heck, I saw two guys during hunting season looking over their rifles in plain view outside a gas station here, guns aren't a big deal here like in some areas of the country.

That said, borrowing a gun shouldn't be a problem at your age. If you must, get a note from your parents and follow Swamprabbit's guidelines. BTW, LEO is a law enforcement officer.
Old November 30, 2004, 09:29 AM   #13
Battlespace

Rook - I am from a part of the country where the deer and the antelope (pronghorns) play under the big blue sky, but that is neither here or there.

In your reply you state: "It's written right in the law book as well, so keep your parent's note and a copy of the law with you." If you are giving advice like that you might want to include the exact page, paragraph and maybe even the sentence that states that. So the guy knows exactly where to go for this information. I am not doubting you, but if this young man simply gets a note from his parent and is then stopped by a LEO more than likely he is going to be in for a very hard time. The LEO has to interpret the law as it applies to the incident and then take proper action. You want to bet that he will error on the side of the gun owner or not? Even if the kid is in the right he had better have an attorney on retainer, I sure do.

If you doubt my advice you might read the post from Swamprabbit, he has some good solid advice, and he is from Kentucky.
Old December 1, 2004, 11:26 AM   #14
Omni04

actually, it didn't take much searching at all to find what he mentioned. but the laws i found did pertain to people under 18 years old. Who knows if the LEO would say "sorry since you are older than 18 this doesn't affect you"

but i am in the process of finding the answer for all who need it. I have written 2 letters to the atourney general and 1 to the head of KY state police. after i get this all worked out i will post them for everybody to read/print.
Old December 1, 2004, 11:29 AM   #15
Omni04

oh one more thing, how can i carry it so its not concealed? I know i can have it in a glove compartment in my car as long as the ammo is seperated. But when i take it out like when im at the shooting range what can i do with it? I can't just carry it can i, or is that brandishing? Im guessing i'm not allowed to keep it in a backpack either. I guess i need to pay more attention to the old guys at the shooting range
Old December 1, 2004, 02:29 PM   #16
joebogey

Quote:
oh one more thing, how can i carry it so its not concealed?
It is not considered concealed if it is lying out in plain view such as on the seat of the truck, or say on the dashboard, ( the dash is not something I recommmend).

At the range, it would not be considered concealed if in a pistol case or pistol rug, as the case is considered a satisfactory method of tranport.
I would think you could also carry in an open type method such as in a holster as long as the gun is not covered in any way, such as a coat pulled over it.
Old December 1, 2004, 04:29 PM   #17
Omni04

ohhh i see, so ill just pick up a pistol case then still waiting on my e-mail from the KY state police unfortunatley... if i don't get in i nthe next couple days ill just resubmit it.
Old December 1, 2004, 05:52 PM   #18
Derby FALs
Member In Memoriam

Quote:
oh one more thing, how can i carry it so its not concealed? I know i can have it in a glove compartment in my car as long as the ammo is seperated. But when i take it out like when im at the shooting range what can i do with it? I can't just carry it can i, or is that brandishing? Im guessing i'm not allowed to keep it in a backpack either. I guess i need to pay more attention to the old guys at the shooting range
It can be loaded int the glove box. That is not considered concealed in KY. Buy a good holster.
Old December 2, 2004, 11:21 AM   #19
Omni04

how can you be sure that it is allowed to be loaded in the glove box? It says that people under 18 can transport it to and from the shooting raneg but that the ammo has to be seperate. People over 21 may be able to carry it loaded but are you positive that at 18 i won't get in trouble for having it loaded in my glove box? (i think ill probably just be safe anyway, i mean i don't plan on any road rage going on or anything)
Old December 2, 2004, 03:35 PM   #20
RooK

Don't assume that those juvenile laws apply to you unless your letters confirm it. Generally when it comes to law: what is not said in local stature defaults to state and then federal level. Anyway, since 18-20 y/os aren't mentioned for handguns, I would say it defaults under the same restrictions for other firearms and their owners in this age group, which means being able to transport a loaded firearm. Once again, let us know what your letters state.
Old December 2, 2004, 04:22 PM   #21
Omni04

*sigh* i finally got the letter back from the head of police and like i expected, it didn't tell me anything. He just said

"Gun purchase procedures are regulated by Federal Law, which requires that
you undergo a background check prior to purchase. Just contact your local
gun dealer for information on how this process works and the time involved.
KY law does not prohibit owenership of a firearm by an 18 year old. "

by firearm i will guess he means pistol, because i was talking about handguns in all of my e-mails. but there was a pretty big disclaimer saying i can't post this, so i left out the persons name, title, and everything. In fact what is typed here may or may not be what was exactly sent in the e-mail... k i think im safe now

but yea, this e-mail still isn't too much help. you said since there is nothing on the books about my age group it defaults to federal law? in that case im in the green right?
Old December 2, 2004, 05:35 PM   #22
Battlespace

Omni04 - Don't worry, by the time we get through hashing this out you will be old enough.
Old December 2, 2004, 06:01 PM   #23
RooK

What kind of figure head did that imaginary letter come from? Did you pretend you were an LEO or state official when writing it?
Old December 2, 2004, 06:04 PM   #24
RooK

Quote:
Just contact your local
gun dealer for information on how this process works and the time involved
I wouldn't trust them that much, I had to convince a local dealer to check the laws confirming that I didn't have to be 21 to buy my Saiga .308. Like I'm really going to ask him for legal advice.
Old December 3, 2004, 11:25 AM   #25
Omni04

i was pretending i was a Commander of the Kentucky State Police Media Relations Branch. And yea, i wouldn't trust local gun shops either... but the thing is, even if by some miracle i do obtain written confirmation that i am allowed to own a handgun, nobody will believe me because there is such little documentation on it! So does anybody else know whom i may be able to e-mail or write about this topic? Senator maybe? And if i don't get a clear answer i will just reply again and again until they tell me the truth!