cheap estate buckshot, anyone had problems? - THR

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 18, 2015, 05:12 PM   #1
cheap estate buckshot, anyone had problems?

just wondering if anyone here had trouble like swelling and getting stuck in chamber.
Old August 18, 2015, 05:18 PM   #2
I've never used it, but there are 88 reviews there on the Midway site, rated as follows.

5 Stars (71)
4 Stars (13)
3 Stars (4)
2 Stars (0)
1 Star (0)
"A democracy won't stand for long because eventually the masses figure out that they can elect to be supported by the republic." -attributed to Aristotle (and other observers through the centuries)
Old August 18, 2015, 05:49 PM   #3
I have shot a ton of this stuff through a FN SLP without issue. It is GTG.
Old August 18, 2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Gtg through my Maverick and Mossberg 500. About 4 boxes down
Old August 18, 2015, 08:10 PM   #5
I chronoed Estate buckshot and it had higher FPS than any of the name brands that were loaded to the same Drm Eq specifications. In my opinion it is superior to the name brands. However I have not tested the Estate with the roll crimp like shown in the ad.
We sit in our homes and type away
on how best to find the way.
We critique all those that go and do.
While never is it me and you.
As a few brave men enter the fray.
We sit in our homes and type away.
Old August 18, 2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Everything I've heard and read on it, going back a few years, has almost been 100% positive.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant:It's that they know so much that isn't true". Ronald Reagan
Old August 18, 2015, 09:14 PM   #7
I've shot lots of it through my Mossberg 590 and 500. It is my bulk back up to the expensive home defense buck shot in case I ever run out (highly unlikely).
RIP Loui Awerbuck. I will truly miss your insight, openness, humility, and training. The world is diminished by your passing.
Old August 18, 2015, 09:18 PM   #8
I have shot some through my 870. It works just fine. I haven't patterned it though. I should take some different stuff out and compare them.
Do you ever wonder why nobody ever robs the bag man for the mob? No, you don't.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old August 18, 2015, 09:49 PM   #9
function-wise, it works for me; like others, not enough time spent at the pattern board though
"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 18, 2015, 09:58 PM   #10
I've bought two cases of it so far. I'm over halfway through one of the cases, the second case I'm gonna keep stashed away.

They are slightly longer than regular 2 3/4" shells with the standard crimp. I can only fit 8 total in my 590A1 as opposed to 9 of almost anything else I've tried, which isn't a big deal because I only use these for range practice, not loaded for self-defense.

My buddy and I set up "drills" in the woods near his cabin and go around shooting cheap soda cans. Good practice shooting and reloading on the move, and it's fun to watch the cans explode. I'm also happy with how they pattern at 25 yards.

No issues with it cycling in my 590A1
A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. - Lysander Spooner
Old August 18, 2015, 11:39 PM   #11
I love this ammo. Cannot get it up here in Alaska for less than 25$ a box. If anyone flies into juneau bring me some and ill take you on a whale watch for free :P
Old August 19, 2015, 06:31 AM   #12
evan price
If you notice the stars on the headstamp, it is my experience this indicates that it was made by Cheddite. I've shot Cheddite buckshot branded as Herter's and found it to be clean and hard hitting and had zero failures.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
Old August 19, 2015, 08:43 AM   #13
That's exactly what the stars on the head mean. Cheddite is a huge company making good stuff
"Support our troops; we'll need them to overthrow our government"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 19, 2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Works great for me in my Mossbergs. Good clean, reliably consistent shells.
"An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old August 25, 2015, 04:14 PM   #15
I've had the problem you described with all 3 boxes of Fiocchi (not sure if spelled right) and also a box of Remington. It made me chamber-fit check all my buckshot before loading any of it into the magazine for defense.
"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name (Jesus Christ) under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Old August 26, 2015, 03:39 PM   #16
Estate is fine, but I can't imagine that it's pattern holds up over longer distances like premium Federal stuff does.
Old August 27, 2015, 01:09 PM   #17
Andy John
No problems to report here. I've used the cheap Estate buckshot and it performs well.
Old September 21, 2015, 03:28 AM   #18
I have used it and seen it used in riot gun classes. Some of the classes are for high speed types. Never heard a complaint from anyone. If cost is not an issue, I prefer Federal low recoil 00 or Remington low recoil heavy shot 00.
Old September 22, 2015, 03:44 PM   #19
Around 2001, AD wiseguys, our gun club got an incredible deal for the Estate 12 ga. target loads (SS12H 9). The club bought several pallets of them and I took 20 cases. That’s 5,000 rounds without a so much as a misfire, ftf, ftf, or fte. This ammo was costing me $0.25 a box less than reloading. 20/20 hindsight: I wish that I bought a whole lot more!

Note: I used it for skeet competition and it was fine. Target distances are short in skeet and shot deformation is for the most part a negligible factor. When I competed in major competitions I did use premium ammo because I wanted all the odds in my favor... a mental thing mostly.

Last edited by Saw-Bones; September 23, 2015 at 02:32 AM. Reason: clarified negligible as being a factor
Old September 22, 2015, 03:59 PM   #20
Carl N. Brown
If you want scuttlebutt, all I have heard or read is that the Estate brand shotshells are a very good ammo at an affordable price. I have heard that there is better ammo but at much higher prices. I have also been told the Estate buckshot is loaded to big game hunting levels and is not the reduced recoil Law Enforcement or home defense type ammo.

Of course, too much good press for the Estate brand, demand could go up, leading to scarcity and scalping, so let's keep it quiet.
Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.
Old September 24, 2015, 03:55 AM   #21
Shot 500 rounds of the Estate OO buckshot & 500 rounds of the Estate #8 birdshot through my Kel-Tec KSG and have experience no stoppages or malfunctions.
"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old September 24, 2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Excellent ammo. At 25 yards, firing an M870 Tactical, all 9 pellets impact on the 15" AR500 steel target that we hang. Zero failures in over 500 rounds.