Quantcast
Why would would a pump gun be spring loaded? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 7, 2014, 12:23 AM   #1
XD Fan

Location: Stuck up here (rural Missouri) and got Dixie on my mind
Why would would a pump gun be spring loaded?

I was in a small gun repair shop the other day and the owner was selling a Turkish (At least I think it was Turkish.) 12 gauge pump that had a spring loaded pump action so that it would load rounds more quickly. Or at any rate that is the reason the shop owner gave. Does anyone know which company makes a gun like that and why? I would think it would make the gun more susceptible to short stroking.

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Go Vols!
Old September 7, 2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Virginian

I think that shop owner sells snake oil on the side.
Next, someone will be along and tell us how the Winchester is also faster.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:19 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

I don't think the spring tension on the Model 12's is to make it faster, but rather to stop loose parts from rattling.

The same could go for the Speed Pump also.
Old September 7, 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Fred Fuller

Sorta like fishing lures - more of them are made to catch fishermen, than to catch fish.

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old September 7, 2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Virginian

I'll have to remember than one Fred. So very true.

I would not trust Remington's dating service accuracy as far as I could throw my truck.
Old September 7, 2014, 12:49 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

Yes so very true.
Old September 7, 2014, 01:04 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

I guess it's not snake oil.
Cobra Tactical shotguns Do have a spring loaded forearm which is 'supposed' result in faster cycling.

http://tristararms.com/cobra-tactical-pump-shotgun.php

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/m...cle.php?id=346

rc
Old September 7, 2014, 01:42 PM   #8
rbernie
Contributing Member

The sprung forearm is supposed to make it seem faster to cycle the gun. My local shop had two that they struggled to give away.

Support THR by becoming a Contributing Member. Texans should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
-
Trying to alter human behavior by regulating objects has been historically proven a fools errand, and yet is the fundamental underlying premise of gun control.
-
A conclusion is not a destination, it's simply a convenient place to stop thinking.
-
Reading a thing doesn't automatically make it so, and repeating it doesn't necessarily make it any truer.

-
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no class.
Old September 7, 2014, 03:08 PM   #9
PapaG

We had one we sold three times. Most couldn't pump it hard enough to make it cycle faster. The spring tension kept it from releasing the shells unless it was slammed back really hard.
Old September 7, 2014, 03:24 PM   #10
toivo

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I'm not a mechanical genius, but wouldn't the "forward assist" provided by the spring be offset by the extra resistance on the backstroke? Not to mention the increased possibility of shortstroking.
Old September 7, 2014, 03:34 PM   #11
JT-AR-MG42

Years ago, saw a cut down 870 from the local PD's SWAT team that was the forerunner of sorts.

I do seem to recall there was a small spring employed to help keep the slide fore-arm forward and the action closed.

The action bar lock? had been modified so that the pistol gripped gun did not lock closed, but was a blow back that was shaken forward
like throwing a baseball (ala Jimmy Cagney revolver shooting) or shaken forcefully downward (toward the officer's own feet and it was a discouraged method) and back up to chamber the next round.

Was told it allowed the Officer to shoot and operate the gun one handed - in case he was climbing a ladder or some such -
we had 2 two story buildings that had ladders in town at the time.

Was offered, but had no desire to try it.

JT
Old September 7, 2014, 03:40 PM   #12
toivo

Quote:
Years ago, saw a cut down 870 from the local PD's SWAT team that was the forerunner of sorts.

I do seem to recall there was a small spring employed to help keep the slide fore-arm forward and the action closed.
Could that have something to do with having the shotgun "cruiser ready"? (Tube full, action closed on an empty chamber.) That way the gun could be hammer-down so the user wouldn't have to hit the release to rack it, but the slide would stay forward and ready to rack.
Old September 7, 2014, 07:05 PM   #13
XD Fan

Location: Stuck up here (rural Missouri) and got Dixie on my mind
The shop owner let me cycle the action, and I have to say it was a powerful spring. It took some real energy to achieve full rearward motion on that pump.

"As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Go Vols!
Old September 7, 2014, 09:51 PM   #14
DT Guy

Quote:
I'm not a mechanical genius, but wouldn't the "forward assist" provided by the spring be offset by the extra resistance on the backstroke? Not to mention the increased possibility of shortstroking.
I'm not a genius either-just ask my wife.

But I'm wondering if the idea isn't that it's an easier task for most people to 'pull' the forend, as compared to 'pushing' it back forward; if that's the case, the spring may be trying to 'assist' us where we're weak, by using the direction where we're stronger to store some energy? The whole tensor vs. flexor thing?

Larry
Old September 7, 2014, 10:02 PM   #15
BSA1

"The disadvantage to the spring loading is the fact that you cannot slide the fore-end back and keep the receiver open, a method of storing a personal-defense shotgun at home for some shooters. The only way to keep it open is to remove the spring, which took only a few seconds so it is not a deal breaker."

For me this outweighs any perceived advantage of the spring action.
Old September 8, 2014, 09:28 AM   #16
jaguarxk120

I do know this, the spring loaded shotguns are "trick" guns.

I have a Model 12, Model 37 and a 870 Wingmaster. They do not need a spring to operate they are slick and smooth in operation. If I hit the action release the forearm will slide downward and with little effort the gun will cycle.

By the way I don't use any of the value pack or other cheap shells.
Old September 8, 2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Jenrick

The only good thing I can see out of it, is keeping the action fully forward so you can load shells into the magazine tube. Beyond that I really don't see a utility.

-Jenrick