Quantcast
Do any shotshells still have real brass? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM   #1
jamesbeat

Do any shotshells still have real brass?

A friend recently mentioned that he thought it would be cool to have some shotshell buttons on his blazer.

He did me a really good turn recently, and I like to make things, so I thought I'd solder some button findings to some trimmed down hulls and surprise him with them.

This should be quite a straightforward task, but when I looked into it deeper, I discovered that hulls nowadays tend to have brass-plated steel, not real brass.

This presents a few problems; not only is steel difficult to solder, but the plating would wear off if I attempted to give them a good polish.

Are any hulls still real brass, and how would I be able to tell short of taking a magnet to a gun store?

Incidentally, to compound the problem, I need 20ga and .410 to have the correct sizes for the buttons.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #2
ugaarguy

Not cheap, but you can get Magtech full brass hulls - http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...earchscope=all.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #3
WestKentucky

All of my OLD shells in my reloading bag are rusty. Guess I will throw those hulls out...no bother since I haven't loaded a shotshell in 5 years or more. On a side note in a recent discussion I was linked to midway who sells brass hulls, as in no plastic at all. That might be a good start...expensive but good.

Same guy, same link^^^. Thanks ugaarguy.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #4
oneounceload

Current Winchester AA and Remington STS/Nitros have brass heads if all you want are the heads for buttons

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old Yesterday, 08:57 PM   #5
jamesbeat

Glad I was sitting down for that one!
They are really nice, but I wasn't thinking of spending quite that much.
They would be great for cowboy action shooters who wanted authentic looking shells though.

I'm going to seriously bear those in mind, but it's definitely a last resort. I guess I could sell the surplus once I had taken what I needed for the buttons.

Incidentally, I just tried polishing a couple of brass-plated steel hulls to see what would happen. I tried both Remington Slugger and some Estate, and boy is that brass plating thin!
Polished right off even though I only polished by hand using brass polish.
Steel is definitely out of the question.

Don't any commercial shotshells have brass any more?
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #6
jamesbeat

Sorry guys, I was still writing that post when you were replying.
Oneounceload, thanks for that, it's definitely going to give me a head start.
Now I just have to figure out where to get specific brands of empty shells, since I don't own guns in either of those bores.

Keep 'em coming everyone! The more confirmed brass brands, the better my chances of finding some...
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #7
DBR

The Federal LE buckshot shells I have use all brass heads.
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #8
eastbank

pm me your address and i will send you some brass bases from 12ga sts,s or nitro,s. eastbank.
Old Today, 07:30 AM   #9
huntsman

If it were me I'd head down to a local gun show and buy a few loose paper shot shells.

"Tis better to miss with style,than to hit with bad form"-Colonel Peter Hawker
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #10
tiamat

and I wouldn't bother with soldering, just use epoxy.
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
Now I just have to figure out where to get specific brands of empty shells, since I don't own guns in either of those bores.
Any trap/skeet/sporting clays club near you should have some folks willing to spare a few

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old Today, 03:05 PM   #12
drcook

also go over to shotgun world or other shotgun only devoted site (as well as here) ask the forum members to go through their stash of old shells and pick out some ones that are not good for reloading and/or collecting, offer to pay the postage and make good on the offer

explain what you are doing. I have located 16ga paper shells for a friend that loads BP in a Damascus barreled hammer gun, gotten some brass shells for myself for a project, etc etc. I always make sure that I send them enough to cover the postage on the package and a little gas or the cost of the envelope, etc.

you would be surprised how well most folks will help you out if you ask nicely.
Old Today, 03:14 PM   #13
jamesbeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiamat View Post
and I wouldn't bother with soldering, just use epoxy.
Why epoxy over solder?
Soldering would be more secure, and it's easy enough to do...