Quantcast
BPI's Thug Slug - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 30, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Jason_W

BPI's Thug Slug

In case anyone's interested, I recently made it to the range with some Thug Slug handloads. It wasn't as comprehensive a test as I would have liked, but I think my writeup is still reasonably informative.

http://lofigunandgame.com/bpis-thug-...liminary-test/
Old January 31, 2014, 10:02 AM   #2
JShirley
Administrator

Good quick test.

I think you'll get more response if you summarize your results here.

John
Old January 31, 2014, 10:19 AM   #3
rbernie
Contributing Member

I'm curious how badly the slug leaded up the barrel and chokes.

Support THR by becoming a Contributing Member. Texans should be a member of the Texas State Rifle Association.
-
Trying to alter human behavior by regulating objects has been historically proven a fools errand, and yet is the fundamental underlying premise of gun control.
-
A conclusion is not a destination, it's simply a convenient place to stop thinking.
-
Reading a thing doesn't automatically make it so, and repeating it doesn't necessarily make it any truer.

-
I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no class.
Old January 31, 2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Pete D.

Thug slug

I have been developing Thug Slug loads for a couple of months. I have been using an old Mossberg 695....rifled barrel.
Sighted in at the range at fifty yards - only brought ten shells - the last four were at 75 yards:

Brass hulls from RMC, Thug Slug, 75 grains of SR4759.
The fifty yard sight in target was not as tight....go figure. The three shots to the right were the first, second and third. (The one farthest to the right was a different load and slug.) Then they started to go in.

Iron sights, aperture rear.
Old January 31, 2014, 09:02 PM   #5
Uniquedot

I've been loading these for a while now too and have been pretty impressed with them. My only experience has been in 12 gauge loadings.
Old February 1, 2014, 07:30 AM   #6
Jason_W

Those are some nice groups, Pete D. The slug really seems to like at least a little bit of rifling. 75 grains is a hefty charge. How did they recoil?
Old February 1, 2014, 12:15 PM   #7
PabloJ

It's simpler to pick up pack of Federal Truball deep penetrating slugs at local sporting goods store. These run about $1 per shot and are pleasant to shoot and very accurate.
Old February 1, 2014, 04:16 PM   #8
Pete D.

Quote:
Those are some nice groups, Pete D. The slug really seems to like at least a little bit of rifling. 75 grains is a hefty charge. How did they recoil?
Recoil was not at all abnormal. The load is from Hubel's long standing thread about "the 12 ga. Shotgun from hell." Not a load for a pump gun or a semi.
Old February 3, 2014, 03:27 PM   #9
Pete D.

Did some further shooting on Saturday. Tried 100 yards with the aforementioned load and one newer combo. First two shots are the ones touching; those are SR4759. Then I dropped one of the new load....40 grains of Alliant Steel. The fourth shot is also Steel....better elevation but still left.
Maybe I should use a scope for this kinda thing.

The loaded shells look like this one:
Old February 3, 2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Jason_W

That a pretty mean looking round.

Very cool.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Pete D.

Well, I did go and put a scope on the old 695. Bore sighted it, kinda, at home. Went to the range today. Did not have a lot of time. First shot at 50 yards was aimed at the center of a white bullseye. It hit low an right. I held on that hole. I shot four more shots.

Last edited by Pete D.; February 23, 2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old February 23, 2014, 01:30 PM   #12
hubel458

If the slug is less than 610gr try to get more 4759 in, it
should tighten the group. That rifled barrel will take the loads we had
lab tested safe with 90gr 4759 with 600gr, and any modern
pump or auto with slug bbls will do that also. Greg and others who told
me about 4759 years ago used pumps and autos.Ed
Old May 17, 2014, 11:24 PM   #13
turp81

Hello Pete-D, Any idea what the fps is running on the A=steel, and 4759 is?
Thanks
Old May 19, 2014, 07:21 AM   #14
Pete D.

fps

No chrono data from me.....yet. I will at some point but when....? I am guessing, based on reading through Hubel 458' data that the load is at. at least, 1700 fps. Could be more, I doubt less.
You may fund relevant data in Hubel's thread about the "shotgun from hell"....he has extensive and ongoing data.
Pete

Last edited by Pete D.; May 19, 2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old June 17, 2014, 03:30 AM   #15
turp81

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying these slugs out.
Old July 11, 2014, 03:12 PM   #16
wolf695

Not bad guys, looks good! Keep up the good work!