Quantcast
Point Man Rig - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 22, 2016, 07:02 PM   #1
Cooldill

Point Man Rig

Hello all!

As some of you may know, I recently acquired a Mossberg M590A1 combat shotgun that I turned into a sort of "modern trench gun" with sling, M7 bayonet, and a heat shield.

Well, I decided to also put together a rig for this shotgun to hold spare ammunition and also to hold a backup sidearm, in the form of a Glock 19. My goal was to make an effective and simple rig that I would think would be good for a point man doing patrols in the jungle and whatnot. Keeping with the military theme, here is the result:

Everything you see in this picture is all milspec, with the exception of the Glock 19 and magazines. Ammunition for the shotgun is stored in two 12-round pouches at the front of the belt, for 24 rounds total. Additional shells are carried in the M18 Claymore mine bag (this was done in Vietnam). The Glock 19 rides in a Bianchi UM92II flap holster which is a derivative of the M12 military holster. Spare ammunition for it is contained in two M9 magazine pouches, which fit Glock 19 and Glock 17 magazines well. The M7 bayonet is stored in the M8A1 scabbard when not in use. Of course, all of this is attached to a standard USGI pistol belt.

Just thought you guys might like to see my completed rig. It's comfortable to wear and supports the weight well even without suspenders. It feels good to finally get this project done, I've had it in my mind (at least the shotgun component) for years.

Take care all and thanks for looking!

PS: I plan to buy a repro M1916 holster for my 1911 when I feel like carrying it over the Glock. I found my 1911 mags fit nicely in the M9 mag pouches. I'll post a picture when I get it.
Old July 22, 2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Corpral_Agarn

Cool!

Round count on the rig?

Total cost?
YouTube Channel: EvanTV
Old July 22, 2016, 07:36 PM   #3
Cooldill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpral_Agarn View Post
Cool!

Round count on the rig?

Total cost?
Round count:
54 shotgun shells (12 in each pouch, 30 in claymore bag)
51 pistol rounds (18 in gun, 17 in each pouch).

Total cost of the rig approx $200. The bayonet and holster could have been gotten cheaper but I wanted all milspec or USGI products so did not skimp.
Old July 22, 2016, 07:50 PM   #4
Shane in MT

Very nice!
Old July 23, 2016, 07:50 AM   #5
bannockburn

Cooldill

Great rig! I have a couple of those 12 round shell holders but they're a bit older and
are made from OD canvas.
Old July 23, 2016, 09:16 AM   #6
P.B.Walsh

Well I might have to copy this, I like it!
"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."
-By a very inteligent person (not me)