Quantcast
Good Trap/Skeet Gun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 4, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1
lpsharp88

Good Trap/Skeet Gun

I've recently began shooting some trap and skeet, and well, I'm hooked. I currently have a Mossberg 590A1, and it obviously isn't very well suited for trap. So I'm looking to find a good all around shotgun to kinda do it all. I'm debating between the 500 combo field/security or an 870 Express. I'd maybe consider something like a 930 or A300 as well, if the price isn't too steep.

I plan to sell off the 590 to help fund the new scatter gun, or maybe even completely fund it if I can get a good deal on the new one.

I'm currently leaning towards the 500 combo because I am familiar with Mossbergs, and being a lefty, the tang mounted safety is pretty nice. Also, I like that it comes with a set of chokes, and two barrels. It seems like some good bang for the buck.

As to price, I'd like to spend no more than $200-$300 after selling off the 590.

Any input or suggestions?
-Gen. James Mattis
Old August 4, 2016, 08:36 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Pumps are ok for Trap singles but Skeet has doubles every round.
You gotta be a Swift Shucker.
Old August 4, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Captcurt

Jmho1

Trap and skeet are two different animals. To do it right you need two completely different guns. I would pick the game that I like the best and buy a gun specifically for that game. Personally, I like skeet because I can use the same gun for Sporting clays, but you might like trap better.
Old August 4, 2016, 09:55 PM   #4
JohnnyFlake

As mentioned above Trap & Skeet are two different games, however, you can get it done with only one gun. Ideally, you should have two guns, completely set up for for each sport. The main difference will be the stock or the angle of the stock, with reference to the barrel. Trap stocks are high up and exactly straight with the horizontal line of the barrel. Skeet stocks are set slightly lower and at at angle from the horizontal line of the barrel. They are usually angled at about 30% downward.

You can get away with one gun, if you are able, physically, to adjust your hold on the weapon when shooting. Most people that I am familiar with, that use only one gun, will use a gun with a stock set up for skeet and adjust there hold when shooting Trap.

The best gun I know of, only because they are what I used for over 20 years of shooting Skeet & Trap, is a Remington 1100, with two barrels. One barrel being 26" Modified for Skeet and the other barrel being a full choked 32" for Trap.
Old August 4, 2016, 10:08 PM   #5
MutinousDoug

If you are committed to one gun, I'd go with an auto like the 1100. You need two shots for skeet unless you are VERY comfortable with pumping a 2nd round.
Old August 4, 2016, 11:03 PM   #6
entropy

Yup, you have to be fast on the pump to shoot skeet with one. But it can be done. The best all around gun for both is an O/U, there are some serviceable ones you can get for your 590+ a few hundred.
Old August 4, 2016, 11:17 PM   #7
SwaneeSR

Well I got hooked on trap. I started using my Rem 870. After a while your expectations change and you want to do better. eventually you will need two shotguns. I currently use a borrow BT99 for trap and an O/U for everything else. Trap is a different animal.

Last edited by SwaneeSR; August 4, 2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old August 5, 2016, 06:40 AM   #8
eastbank

i just bought a limited edition sporting clays browning citori 12ga with invicta plus tubes with 30" barrels for a very good price. and it shoots pretty flat, good for sporting clays and skeet but not to good for trap. i installed a older morgen adjustable pad on it and adjusted it for trap and shot a 24-25 and a 23-25. and its simple to adjust it back to shot sporting clays or skeet, just one screw to loosen and move the pad up or down as needed. eastbank.
Old August 5, 2016, 05:20 PM   #9
sappyg

I'll throw in for the beretta a300 for an all rounder at a good price though I think in its stock form it's on the light side for clay games. The stock comes with enough adjustments for a reasonable fit and the safety is reversible for a left hander such as the OP. The gun is uber reliable.
2nd pic would be an 1100. Weight and balance are close to perfect. I really don't think I know anyone that the stock doesn't fit well.
Old August 7, 2016, 12:58 PM   #10
Sheepdog1968

I keep a 590a1 for home defense. As such, I have one of those 500 combos for trap, 5 stand, and sporting clays. I primarily chose the pump so I could get weekly practice in trap league on running the pump and familiarity with a model identical to the home defense one. I don't find the pump at all to be an issue for doubles or true pairs.

If you are going to keep only one shotgun around the home, I'd be inclined to suggest sticking with a pump.

If you want a dedicated clay gun that isn't a pump, lots of folks seem very happy with Browning over unders or similar from Beretta.
Old August 7, 2016, 02:43 PM   #11
LeonCarr

You would be my hero for the ages if you shot skeet with the Mossberg 590A1 .

"Combat Skeet" is a great way to practice with the defensive shotgun. Learning to acquire and engage moving targets is always a good thing. The Cylinder choke that the 590s have works very well on Skeet. If you had the 590A1 reamed for screw in chokes, it would work as a trap gun too.

Another thing that would make you my hero for the ages is if you went to a skeet match and out shot a guy with a 15,000 dollar shotgun with your Mossberg .

Just my 02,
LeonCarr
Old August 7, 2016, 03:08 PM   #12
eastbank

not likely to happen, but never say never. eastbank.
Old August 7, 2016, 05:25 PM   #13
lpsharp88

Thanks for the advice! I don't have the money to get two shotguns, so that's why I'm looking for one to do both. I actually do pretty ok with skeet on the 590A1. I don't win any matches, but I hit at least half. Not bad for only shooting 4 rounds I guess. I was hitting the doubles sometimes as well, so I'm not too worried about being quick on the pump. I initially got the shotgun as a HD choice, but it has been replaced by the AR, so I'm not dead set on having a shorter barrel for that purpose.
-Gen. James Mattis
Old August 7, 2016, 10:47 PM   #14
LeonCarr

I watched a Game Warden in a charity DARE skeet shoot, shooting a Remington 870P with an extended magazine and a sidesaddle loaded with slugs, break 24 out of 25.

It can happen.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Old August 7, 2016, 11:29 PM   #15
cfullgraf

In the 1930s and 1940s, pump shotguns were the gun of choice for skeet.

As over/unders developed and self loaders became more reliable, they eclipsed the pump shotgun.

So, yes, good scores and lots of fun can be had with a pump gun.

But, if you compete in skeet these days, you cannot win unless you make the shoot offs and to make the shoot offs, you have to run a 100 straight. That is hard to do with a pump reliably.