Quantcast
45 colt in .410 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Shotguns

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 9, 2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Oldschool shooter

45 colt in .410

I have. Rossi 410 single shot. My question is in a pinch could I shoot .45 colt thru the smooth bore barrel? I know accuracy would probably not be too good, and not planning on doing this, but would it be safe?
Old February 9, 2015, 10:40 PM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

No, not unless it says .45 Colt / .410 on the barrel.

A .45 Colt bullet is .452" with no room to squeeze down smaller..

A .410 bore is .410" and may be even smaller at the choke..

rc
Old February 9, 2015, 10:43 PM   #3
slumlord44

.410 bore, .45 bullet? Only if you are willing to risk blowing up the gun and possibly injuring your self. They make .410 slugs that are made for the .410. Not saying that you might not get away with it but definitely not a good idea.
Old February 9, 2015, 10:51 PM   #4
USAF_Vet

.45 Colt probably won't even fit properly in a .410 chamber. Not to mention that a .410 chamber probably won't contain the .45 Colt pressure. Bullet diameter and choke differences will wreck the barrel and possibly kaboom your gun.

DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Old February 10, 2015, 09:40 AM   #5
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Oh, it'll fit the chamber, but not the bore and choke of the gun. The .45/.410 guns like my Contender use a .451" bore, overbore for a .410, then have a removable choke. One MUST remove the choke to shoot the pistol round through it. If you want such a gun, they make long .45/.410 barrels for Contenders and there's lots of used contenders around.
Old February 10, 2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Oldschool shooter

Thanks for the clarification about the over-bore on the .45/.410 guns. Glad I asked and did not just assume, or I would have been A#1 in that catagory. Thanks again!
Old February 10, 2015, 04:19 PM   #7
MCgunner

Location: The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
Even if it fit and worked, .410 shotguns are smooth bore, no rifling. You couldn't hit paper at 10 feet.
Old February 14, 2015, 03:01 AM   #8
clang

There is an H&R .410/.45 Colt Survivor will shoot both, but you have to remove the weird looking choke to shoot .45 Colt.

Using .45 Colt is a regular .410 would probably not end well.