First squib load ever - THR

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 17, 2015, 05:27 PM   #1
First squib load ever

Today i went shooting with my dad. Brought out a bunch of guns and loaded up with S&W highway patrolman with some old 158gr lead SWC that a buddy of his loaded who knows how long ago.

I fired 4 shots without a hitch and the 5th just went pop.....I knew exactly what was wrong thanks to great forums like this one.

I waited a couple mins with the barrel pointed down range then swung the cylinder out and l could see the base of the bullet just past the forcing cone. Done shooting that pistol for the day! Haha

Took a couple good whacks with a brass cleaning rod to get the bullet back out. Just goes to show you, dont trust any reloads you didnt load or help load yourself. I know I wont be shooting other peoples reloads anymore.
Old September 17, 2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Hope theres not a shell with a double charge of powder waiting to be fired. http://www.photobucket.com/kabooom
Old September 17, 2015, 06:50 PM   #3
Contributing Member
I had a squib with my Ruger Security Six, bullet was stuck in forcing cone with part still in cylinder. Five more loaded rounds left in a cylinder that was tied up.
Old September 17, 2015, 08:03 PM   #4
Contributing Member
Glad you caught it.
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?"
Patrick Henry
Old September 17, 2015, 09:32 PM   #5
I knew it as soon as it happened. Didnt even go boom. Just pop! There definitely wasnt any mistaking something was wrong.
Old September 17, 2015, 11:43 PM   #6
I have good friends, and even one family member who's loads I won't shoot. I've observed how they process their loads, and I simply just don't trust those methods. There are fail safes I incorporate into my process, and by using these steps, I can be 99.9% certain nothing within my ability to control is going to go wrong. What's more, anything that might happen would be spotted before it ever leaves the bench.

I incorporate quadruple fail safe's into each and every step and component. Sure, it may require a few additional minutes, and may also seem very redundant, but is provides me with a life time of uneventful shooting, and peace of mind.

Plain and simple, there is absolutely no room for sloppy handling, or carelessness within this hobby. Even for those who load with progressives can afford to add a few extra minutes to verify the components and the process, it's time well invested.

I've never had a squib, and i really don't understand how it can happen if the reloader is adhering to each possible and preventive measure, and then incorporating those efforts into each step in the process.

Old September 18, 2015, 08:02 AM   #7
Has anybody ever experienced a hangfire with a smokeless cartridge? I know they rarely get mentioned in handloading, but are common with blackpowder.

They start as a squib, with the primer firing, and then the powder may ignite several seconds later. I just mention this to point out that if you do get a squib, it's a good practice to keep the gun pointed downrange for several seconds, making sure its not a hangfire before ejecting.
Old September 18, 2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Has anybody ever experienced a hangfire with a smokeless cartridge? I know they rarely get mentioned in handloading, but are common with blackpowder.
Yes, twice in my life. Some old .410 shells that were in an out building when I was a kid, oil had leaked into the bag they were in. Some would fire, some were fine and some were inbetween resulting in a hang fire with low velocity.

The other was using some surplus 50 BMG, a friend and I were playing with a bolt action 50 BMG that I had built and I "found a deal" on some ammunition. The primers were hit or miss, not all of them worked. I had warned " don't get in a hurry if there is a dud because a hang fire in this rifle could kill you, if you lift the bolt and it goes off." Had one a few shots later a good "2 one thousand " count after the firing pin dropped.
"My right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Joe S.
Old September 18, 2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Originally Posted by trania_000 View Post
... a buddy of his loaded who knows how long ago.
I'd say you're lucky neither gun nor human was harmed. Having no control over how conscientious other people are in their loading processes, I never shoot anybody's "reloads" except my own.

I'd advise proper disposal of this old fodder as it seems to me it's not trustworthy
Old September 18, 2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Friends have given me bunches of ammo that a tear down for components only. A guy even had a 110 pounds of .223 bad factory ammo to tear down for components. I have the tools to do this so it's not a big deal. As far as squib loads go, I've have a few bad primers but that's a FTF.
Old September 18, 2015, 09:05 PM   #11
It really pays to stay alert. I had a squib back in June at a pistol competition. I was shooting my reloads, so I have no one else to blame. My first experience with a squib, however, was with Winchester factory .38 special ammunition. I think the casing had no powder - only the primer. The bullet was stuck partly in the cylinder and partly in forcing cone, locking the cylinder. At least it was not possible to fire another round. I now carry wooden dowel rods of various sizes to the range to drive bullets from the barrel - should it ever happen again.