Quantcast
30-30 Brass size differences - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 24, 2015, 04:48 PM   #1
GTB937

30-30 Brass size differences

bought alot of used 30-30 brass once fired. I have Lee dies and single stage Lee Press, I know about the deprim and size with the first Die, but I'm finding such a vast difference of sizes, I'm second guessing myself. The Lyman reloading book for 30-30 trim length is 2.028, however some are longer like 2.039 that can be trimmed, but it's the brass that are shorter like 2.016 or 2.012. I'm thinking of makeing the shorter brass to the 2.028 for uniformity. Now how can I do this?
Old April 24, 2015, 04:56 PM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Are you measuring them before or after sizing??

You cant tell a thing until they have been resized.

With that said, I have seen more length variation in 30-30 brass from different manufactures then any other caliber.

If you plan to crimp in the seating die, all you can do is trim them all to the same length.

Even if that is shorter then recommended trim-too length.

The Lee FCD collet-crimp die is more forgiving as it operates off the shell holder, and will handle different lengths, within reason, quite satisfactorly.

rc
Old April 24, 2015, 05:04 PM   #3
popper

I've never trimmed any 30/30 brass but do use the case gauge to make sure the shoulder is 'right'. If you got the full Lee set, it has the FCD which works great. other dies are roll crimp so I just just kiss them so I see a shiny 'ring' on the mouth.
Old April 24, 2015, 05:18 PM   #4
GTB937

Measureing after sizing. Also yes plan to crimp
Old April 24, 2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Walkalong

Quote:
I'm thinking of makeing the shorter brass to the 2.028 for uniformity. Now how can I do this?
Shoot it.

2.012 isn't short enough to worry about. After sizing, trim everything to 2.028. Anything shorter just won't get trimmed. Then shoot them all, and eventually the shorter ones will catch up and get to 2.028. Crimp however you want to, it'll be fine. Problem solved.

Welcome to THR

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old April 24, 2015, 07:24 PM   #6
notaglockfanboy

Keep in mind that Hornady Lever eveloution ammo uses shorter cases for whatever reason, so check head stamp. That may be the cases that are shorter.
Old April 24, 2015, 08:39 PM   #7
GTB937

All the responses are awesome thanks alot guys.
Old April 25, 2015, 12:56 AM   #8
oldreloader

I agree with rcmodel and walkalong. They wont steer you wrong.
Old April 25, 2015, 11:09 PM   #9
witchhunter

I would separate your brass by headstamp. This may show which brands are short and which ones are long. I recommend using only one headstamp to create consistent loads. Good luck.
Old April 25, 2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Malamute

Separating by maker may show which ones are shorter or longer. I like a firm crimp, and keep them trimmed every couple loads. If some are short, I'd put them aside and readjust the die after doing the rest of them, then they will all have good crimps, and they will catch up after a while, like Walkalong said.

I find 30-30s tend to get uneven as much as anything. Trimming helps keep them even and the crimps uniform.

Some bullets have deeper crimp grooves, like Hornady compared to Speer. the deepr grooves are more forgiving in varying case length, but theres other reasons to use each bullet, so I just deal with the extra trimming when using the Speers.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old April 25, 2015, 11:15 PM   #11
SwaneeSR

Witch hunter is right.

I have been working on .30-30 loads the past few weeks and I have my Winchester and Federal brass separate and have same head stamp for each load.
Old April 26, 2015, 06:28 PM   #12
45lcshooter

All my brass I separate by headstamp, and load only 1 headstamp at a time. That way there is less confusion. And then you can measure and see if its just a couple pieces of brass or more that need trimmed, or thrown out.

I forgot to trim some 30-30 once, and the action on my Model 94 would not close, because now I had a headspace issue. Took the shells a parts, got everything taken care off, then with in a few mins, I blasted those few rounds too.