Quantcast
Oversized barrels and plated bullets - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 26, 2015, 10:27 AM   #1
sevt_chevelle

Oversized barrels and plated bullets

I've got a Browning High Power 9mm with a barrel that I slugged twice which has a bore size of .358. At this point I've shot nothing but factory ammo through this gun, seems to group alright.

Would like to start shooting some reloads, I don't cast so any lead bullet would have to be commercial and I doubt finding a .359 sized 9mm projectile would be easy let alone fit in the barrel. I've thought about trying some of the coated bullets, but still it would be undersized.

So my question is, how about plated bullets for my high power? Do plated bullets have a better tolerance of barrel size then lead bullets? Or am I just stuck with factory ammo or buying FMJs to reload?

Am wanting on Bar-sto to reapply back on when they will be making new High Power barrels.

Thanks
Old August 26, 2015, 01:35 PM   #2
Sunray

.358" is the standard diameter for cast .38/.357. Cast or plated .38/.357 bullets will do nicely.
Old August 26, 2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Kp321

If your HP shoots well with factory jacketed bullets, it should do fine with plated.
Old August 26, 2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Schwing

I hate to disagree with those before me but, having the same issue with my 92FS, I can't agree.

If plated or plain cast bullets don't have a diameter that is at least .001 larger than your barrel, you will never see great accuracy. In my experience there is NO difference in accuracy between plain cast or plated. If they are undersize, they won't be accurate. The plated just lead your barrel less.
Old August 26, 2015, 03:05 PM   #5
d'Artagnan

My Browning High Power's barrel is .357 diameter. For years I tried .356 swagged or cast bullets and ended up with terrible leading. As a consequence, I'm an expert with an Outer's Foul Out III Electrochemical Bore Cleaning System. Accuracy with 9mm jacketed bullets never was all that good either. Reliable and very sturdy the BHP is, but not that accurate. I tried .357 plated bullets and accuracy didn't improve but, after firing them, the barrel was the cleanest I'd ever seen it.
Old August 27, 2015, 06:39 AM   #6
tightgroup tiger

http://hunters-supply.com/shop/sass-...index&cPath=65

The .359 lead bullets should work better in your barrel if they will chamber.
I would try to get a few free samples and try them before buying any.
Old August 27, 2015, 08:52 AM   #7
ASCTLC

I don't have the experience to advise on bullet size/type to resolve such an issue but is it possible one of the barrel mfrs like Storm has one for it? That should get you the right bore.

Andy
Old August 27, 2015, 12:30 PM   #8
murf

sevt,

what is the diameter (measured about a quarter inch below the mouth) of a fired and unsized case? i load and shoot .358" dia. lead bullets in my bhp with no issues. if your chamber is big enough, you shouldn't have any issues doing the same thing.

murf

festina lente