Quantcast
lead shot seperator? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 11, 2015, 05:10 AM   #1
RugerBob

lead shot seperator?

Hi All,
I acquired a large coffee can of lead shot. Its mixed 8,9 6 and 4.
I would like an easy way to get the 4 and 6 out. I load for cowboy shooting and they say no loads with #6 shot or larger.
Its probably a one time deal and I just need a cheap simple option to seperate the larger 2 sizes.
Thanks, Bob
Old August 11, 2015, 06:42 AM   #2
lysanderxiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerBob View Post
Hi All,
I acquired a large coffee can of lead shot. Its mixed 8,9 6 and 4.
I would like an easy way to get the 4 and 6 out. I load for cowboy shooting and they say no loads with #6 shot or larger.
Its probably a one time deal and I just need a cheap simple option to seperate the larger 2 sizes.
Thanks, Bob
#9 Shot - 0.079"
#8 Shot - 0.089"
#6 Shot - 0.109"
#4 Shot - 0.129"

Find a wire screen or mesh that slightly smaller that the biggest shot you wish to exclude, and pour....
Old August 11, 2015, 05:54 PM   #3
RugerBob

I may have to do that. Just didn't want to have to by a 84" roll guessing at the size. Thats standard screen replacement size. Didn't see a size on roll for the openings. Guess its a crap shoot there.
I am gonna hit some places that sell cheap products this weekend and see what I come up with.
Bob
Old August 12, 2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Jesse Heywood

Go to a real hardware store. You should be able to buy hail screen or window screen by the foot.
Old August 12, 2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Patocazador

Go to one of those end-of-the-road illegal dump sites. Should be some hunks of tossed screens.

Bob
Old August 12, 2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Sunray

A cheap simple option would be a plastic colander from a dollar store. Take one pellet of each size with you for scientific testing. snicker. Kind of suspect a colander's holes will be too big though.
Any window screening will be too small.
Plan 'B' would be to make a custom shot sieve out of a plastic bowl from a dollar store. 7/64" drill is .1093" diameter(a #35 drill is .110"). Drill, then shake and stir. That'll leave the #4 in the sieve. Repeating will leave the #6.
Old August 12, 2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Rule3

Plan B above sounds like a plan to me.^^

I was more of, gather up the neighborhood kids, give them gloves and equal piles of shot, Have them divide into cups. The first one to finish wins. Pay him/her what ever you want. Tell parents they are playing with LEAD.

Everyone wash up and buy a pizza!
Old August 12, 2015, 04:21 PM   #8
oneounceload

Might see if there is a fine enough hardware cloth - that can usually be bought by the foot.

Otherwise take a 1/2 cookie sheet and using something like a popsicle stick or similar, pretend you're a drug store employee sorting and counting pills while tilting it ever so slightly - you should easily be able to tell the different sizes - you might also want to sweep with a magnet for steel; we've been getting more and more of that in the shot we reclaimed from our fields.

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 13, 2015, 08:50 AM   #9
Blue68f100

I believe McMaster Carr sells sieves (not sure of the spelling). They are pans with wire mesh of specific size, huge selection. Used to seperate sand and most any media by size.
Old August 13, 2015, 09:50 AM   #10
jmorris

Some prefeorated sheet metal would do the trick notch the corners and bend up the edges to form a "box" set it above something to catch the smaller shot.

Something like this.

Might see if these guys will send you a sample.
http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated
Old August 13, 2015, 12:29 PM   #11
Cavediver

Make a couple of risers out of business cards (6 of mine =.092") and notebook paper, and then span them with a ruler or straight edge. Placed on a cookie sheet or another pan, this ought to make a gate allowing the smaller shot to roll to one end.
Old August 13, 2015, 02:37 PM   #12
tyeo098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver View Post
Make a couple of risers out of business cards (6 of mine =.092") and notebook paper, and then span them with a ruler or straight edge. Placed on a cookie sheet or another pan, this ought to make a gate allowing the smaller shot to roll to one end.
Heck, if you made it angled with dividers you could sort ALL the shot in one go!
Old August 13, 2015, 03:57 PM   #13
jmorris

I would have suggested something similar to this but I know of no coffee can large enough to hold enough shot for Otto be worth the effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFw7IcQUmgs
Old August 15, 2015, 04:13 AM   #14
GLOOB

I wonder if there's another way. I'm picturing two sheets of heavy gauge steel connected with a door hinge. The top sheet is held about a 1/4" open, with a shim or a screw. The sheet is placed with a slight tilt. You pour shot into one end, and gravity pulls it towards the other corner, where you have a collection cup. You set the cup so only the smaller shot can make it all the way there. The rest gets stuck or falls short, into a larger recollection bin.

I'm sure this would get clogged up fast. Just remove or cover the "good" collector cup, open the hinge, and dump out the bads.

Or maybe set up two sheets at a right angle to make a V, but with a 0.1" gap between them. Then pour the shot in. Push the shot down to the recollection bin. Some of the good ones will fall through. Take the recollection bin and repeat until you get a good amount of small shot collected?
Old August 15, 2015, 04:33 AM   #15
RugerBob

Some good idea's there. Thanks all.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #16
RugerBob

I just decided to spend some cash and bought a Humbolt sifter. Measured to let me keep what I wanted. It will allow 7 1/2 to fall through. So I can mix 9-7 1/2 and keep the 6-4 for practice or whatever.