1903A3 loads - THR

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 03:33 PM   #1
Nature Boy
1903A3 loads

Spent most of a rainy weekend making cartridges. but in the end I had to get out in the nastiness and shoot some of them.

I made my first batch of .30-06 to shoot through my dad's sporterized 03A3.

2 loads with 165g GMXs, IMR 4064 - these didn't work well. Metering issue with the 4064 was likely the main culprit

1 load with 125 SSTs and 50g of H4895 - these shot nicely. Might even take it to the field. I would love to take a deer this year with this rifle.

I understand that the Remington 03A3 has "2 groove rifling". Not sure if I understand the significance of that but whatever it is, it seemed to like this load.

If any of you guys are loading for your 03A3 I'd love to hear your experiences.

5 shots at 100 yards. one of those holes had 2 bullets through it

Last edited by Nature Boy; Today at 04:06 PM.
Old Today, 06:57 PM   #2
I load for my 03A3. GI cases, Remington 9 1/2 primer, Hornady 150 FMJ bullet and a hefty dose of W-W 760. The ball powder burns clean and flows through the powder measure on my Dillon 650 with .1 grain accuracy.

This load shoots one to one and a quarter five shot groups ay 2800 FPS from the two groove barrel.

I use the same load, but switch to a Speer 150 BTSP for hunting. Same POI, no adjustment of scope.

In my experience, work your load up to max and then back off 1/2 grain and you get a wonderful compromise between best velocity and best accuracy.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.

If you think the world's most powerful military is expensive, wait until you see what a weak military costs.
Old Today, 10:42 PM   #3
I load for three rifles in 30-06. One is a 1903A3, the others aren't.
As the second and third are M1s and I sort of pamper them all, my standard loading is on the light side but does function the actions on both M1s.

I believe each weapon should be fed what 'it' like the best. Yet, I only load this one load for all three.

Cal Bullet B-weight Powder P-weight M-Velocity weapon

30.06 JSPBT 150 748 48 2598 M1 Spfd
30.06 JSPBT 150 748 48 2651 M1 IHC
30.06 JSPBT 150 748 48 2531 03A3

(Sorry but spread sheets don't copy and paste well.)

As you can see, each weapon gets a different average velocity with the same load. I batch load and each test run is from the same batch and more than a suitable sample rate was tested for each. Note, of these, the IHC provided the best overall accuracy but not by much.

Find the load your weapon likes and you will be happy too.