Quantcast
.223 Cleaning Post Sizing - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 24, 2015, 01:21 AM   #1
otisrush

.223 Cleaning Post Sizing

How do folks clean off case lube after sizing necked cases? I've been putting them back in the tumbler. But with the total time that takes I'm wondering if just wiping each case with a cloth would suffice.

BTW - I use RCBS case lube and pad.

Thx.

OR
Old July 24, 2015, 01:24 AM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Sure it would.

I just leave it on, wait and tumble 30 minutes after the rounds are loaded though.

How do you think some of that factory ammo gets so shiny?

rc
Old July 24, 2015, 04:41 AM   #3
gamestalker

I don't use the sticky stuff, so it's a little easier for me. But I'm pretty sure you could wash them off in a mild soap (dish detergent) and warm water solution, let dry, then tumble if desired.

With Dillon spray on case lube, I wipe the outside off, then I tumble them. If I plan on storing the ammo for an extended period of time, I get a bit more OCD and will take steps to get them completely squeaky clean.

GS
Old July 24, 2015, 06:47 AM   #4
oldandslow

ot,

I've done about 7,000 .223/556 cases in the last two years and have had good results. First I inspect and clean cases with a paper towel (six seconds). After inside-neck brushing and neck lubing (with Imperial wax) I decap and resize with an RCBS single stage press after thinly lubing the case with Imperial. Then to wipe off the resizing wax I use another paper towel, then wet tumble for 4 hours with Stainless Steel pins. Cases and primer pockets come out spotless.

Some prefer to clean before decapping but I like the clean primer pockets for below-flush primer seating. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old July 24, 2015, 07:23 AM   #5
Grumulkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisrush View Post
How do folks clean off case lube after sizing necked cases? I've been putting them back in the tumbler. But with the total time that takes I'm wondering if just wiping each case with a cloth would suffice.
You note that you put them "back in" the tumbler. How about taking your brass fresh from the range, resizing it and then tumbling it?

For many bottle necked cases you also need a little lube on the inside of the case neck for sizing. You aren't going to get that off by wiping it with a cloth.
Old July 24, 2015, 08:28 AM   #6
otisrush

I've been tumbling prior to sizing to keep dirt out of the die.
Old July 24, 2015, 09:12 AM   #7
cfullgraf

If I used a liquid lubricant like RCBS lube for neck sizing, I would tumble clean the cases after sizing.

But, when I neck size, I use a dry lubricant like mica or carbon and wipe the necks with a towel.

I do generally clean my rifle cases before sizing to get rid of range grime. Maybe no necessary but I am willing to spend the time and I get that warm, fuzzy feeling that makes me happy.
Old July 24, 2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Bart B.

I clean case lube off by sushing sized ones in a terry cloth tube moistened with laquer thinner. That takes all the lube off that I don't want to get on/in primers or powder or bullets as they're assembled.

Tumbling live ammo's not a good thing according to companies who make the powder. Heavy round's bullet tips put the same force on primers bouncing on them as free floating firing pins do upon chambering, too.
USN Distinguished Marksman #153
Old July 24, 2015, 09:29 AM   #9
highlander 5

The newer RCBS lube is easily washed off with hot soapy water. I remember the old style and it was a bear to clean off. Depending on the die maker you can get a carbide expander that makes resizing much easier. I use them in my 223,308 and 7.62x39 dies.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Rule3

I use a dilute LEE lube and do not bother with it. I leave it on. It's water based.
Old July 24, 2015, 10:50 AM   #11
Gravedigger56

1. Decap with universal die
2. Wet tumble 2 hrs. Dry.
3. Lube (alcohol/lanolin), size, trim
4. Tumble in corncob/mineral spirits 15-30 minutes to remove lube.
5. load or bag for storage
Old July 24, 2015, 12:19 PM   #12
JonB

1. Tumble walnut media to clean dirt and grime off
2. Decap with universal die if it is range pickups (lots of crimped primers)
2a. Decap / resize with FL sizing die if it is my own brass that has already been processed once. I use Imperial wax for a lube - works like a champ and a little goes a long way.
3. Tumble again to remove lube
4. Trim if needed
5. Bag it up with a card showing all the steps that have been finished in the prep process.
Old July 26, 2015, 05:25 PM   #13
JDMorris

.223 Cleaning Post Sizing

My method may not be the most popular, but unless it's dirty scavenged brass, I don't even tumble my brass.
It ejects straight into my hand from my bolt guns. I wipe off the carbon, lube it, size, wipe off, trim if needed, clean primer pockets, de-burr the case mouth, prime case, powder, bullet, done.

I only reload .223 and .308 for my Remington 700's. Both shoot well under MOA with my hand loads.
Old July 26, 2015, 05:41 PM   #14
trania_000

Tumble
Lube, resize, prime, charge seat bullet
Tumble to remove lube.

Done it with 1000's of rounds without any problems.
Old July 26, 2015, 08:25 PM   #15
Bart B.

Factory ammo is bright and shiny because it's untouched by human hands.
USN Distinguished Marksman #153
Old July 26, 2015, 08:46 PM   #16
MarshallDodge

For my plinking 223 rounds, I do the same as rcmodel, tumble the loaded rounds for 30 minutes. The ball powder can't get much finer, LOL.

For my precision rifle rounds, after sizing, I wash them in hot water mixed with a couple drops of dish soap and a little Simple Green.

The lube I use is lanolin based and it comes right off.

BA/UU/R.... In memory of Dave McCracken.
Old July 26, 2015, 09:08 PM   #17
sixguns

Not cleaning the lube off the inside of the case necks. Lube between bullet jacket and neck reduces bullet pull; can cause setback on autos, erratic ignition & increased extreme spread. I'd be rethinking that one?
Old July 26, 2015, 09:21 PM   #18
MarshallDodge

On 223, I don't lube the inside of the necks. I use a Dillon carbide sizer so not sure if it matters on regular dies.

BA/UU/R.... In memory of Dave McCracken.
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #19
JamieC

When I get enough range brass, toss into a bucket, spray with some de-greaser, add enough water to cover, shake it up, let it sit awhile, (maybe 1/2 hour, depends what else I'm doing), rinse, let dry in the sun. After resizing, trimming, removing crimps, wash it again real quick, dry in the sun, into the tumbler. Done, til I'm ready to load. I use Lee lube mixed with alcohol.
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #20
Walkalong

I tumble my fired .223 brass, then lube and size it, then tumble it with raw corncob (No additives) to remove the lube, then load it. I like loading without sizing on the LNL. It's very smooth and gives a good feel for seating pressure.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.