Quantcast
uncommon 270 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM   #1
captainmark

uncommon 270

I recently came across a Ruger American in .270. It had seen a horrendous hack job and I was determined to salvage it. What I ended up with was a 17 inch barrel that was properly cut and crowned......so some of you may get where this is going.

Every factory load is a howitzer. I fitted it with a brake to help calm it down and have managed to get 1-1.5 inch groups with a few old recipes but the short barrel has me rethinking my powder. Considering going with a faster burning powder and a 150 gr nosler or 110 hornady by.

I appreciate the input.
Old Yesterday, 02:05 AM   #2
WestKentucky

Please be very careful, and whatever you do post results
Old Yesterday, 02:23 AM   #3
gamestalker

I would still use the same powder line up, as I would for any .270 win.. Going with a faster burning powder isn't necessary, nor will it offer any advantage over typical powders for this cartridge.

GS
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM   #4
captainmark

One of my drawbacks to the short barrel is the veritable flamethrower that comes with every shot. It ust seems like there is a lot of wasted energy and powder. If I remember correctly the 6.8 spcII has a lower cup pressure and shoots the same .277 110 hornady just fine with a faster burning powder. My buddys 6.8 sounds anemic next to this 270
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM   #5
rcmodel
Contributing Member

.270?

Strongly consider having it re-barreled with at least a 22" - 24" barrel.

A 17" .270 is just not in the realm of bearable performance with any powder.

rc
Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM   #6
captainmark

thought of that RC

Yeah, thought of that rc...couple of issues with that. I live in the middle of the pacific ocean. sending it out to be rebarrelled means I wont see it for a loooong time. Second, most of the shots around here are within 200 yds or less on axis deer. It does the job, its just really loud, hence the thought of a lighter load and a faster powder.

Does anyone know the length at which most powders are burned at in the 270? I thought I had read it was either 16 or 18 inches.
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM   #7
captainmark

maybe a better question to ask would be does anyone know how the chamber and cup pressures compare between 6.8 spc and the 270?. They are both firing a .277 caliber from a 16" barrel with a four land 1in 10 twist so I am trying to figure out if I should just look at loading up a 6.8 starting load in the 270 as a start point and work up.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #8
Grumulkin

I have to say that I wouldn't consider any 270 Winchester load short of blowing it up a "howitzer." It's not a flame thrower either. I must also presume none of you have ever shot the 270 Winchester in handgun form; it's a pussycat in that form as well.

There is NO difference in the powder that should be used in a short barrel vs longer barreled 270 Winchester but, if you must try more specialized powders, I believe the Hornady manual has loads for 270 Winchester handguns.

And don't use 6.8 SPC data in loading for a 270 Winchester.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM   #9
Captcurt

Might work.

You might try some of the reduced loads in the Speer Manual. They use a faster burning powder and would probably mimic the 6.8 loads. Just a thought.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #10
ArchAngelCD

I agree, a faster powder will do nothing for you.

Which powder are you using now?
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #11
243winxb

6.8 spc- 55,000 psi and the 270-65,000 psi. And don't use 6.8 SPC data in loading for a 270 Winchester. Use Hodgdon Youth loads with H4895. https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20...le%20Loads.pdf
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM   #12
ArchAngelCD

Instead of trying to turn a short barrel .270 into a "normal" .270 why not set it up as a Scout Rifle? If a .308 makes a good Scout rifle why not a .270? A scout type rifle in .270 would make a great brush deer rifle IMO.

From a 24" barrel a .308 w/130gr bullet will do ~3000 fps, from the same length barrel the .270 w/130gr bullet will generate a similar velocity. The only real difference is, with the .308 you generate that velocity with 4895 and in the .270 you use 4350. You can achieve similar results with a 150gr bullet although both will be a little lower velocities of course.

If a short barrel .308 is acceptable I see no reason why a .270 should be any different. Sure you won't generate the same velocity from a 17" barrel but the same is true of a .308 with a shorter barrel. No???
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #13
captainmark

I like the idea of the handgun and youth loads . Will start there. Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #14
captainmark

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #15
ironworkerwill

I would like to disagree with using a faster powder. It may increase accuracy and might be a little less thunderous. If it was me, I'd rebarrel with something fitting a 270.

Studies have shown that a ladder in the house is more dangerous than a gun.. That's why I own guns, in case some maniac tries to sneak a ladder in.-Uncle Stan
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #16
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmark View Post
The charge weights and powders used for .270 rifle and .270 handgun loads are identical. The only difference in the data is the velocities reported. If you doubt that fact check the Hodgdon site for yourself.

If you go with the H4895 reduced loads be very careful which bullet you choose. The added effect of the very short barrel combined with the reduced velocities of the light loads will greatly effect the ability of the bullet used to expand. I do not recommend using reduced loads combined with a very short barrel for hunting game.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #17
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworkerwill View Post
I would like to disagree with using a faster powder. It may increase accuracy and might be a little less thunderous. If it was me, I'd rebarrel with something fitting a 270.
If you decide to re-barrel the rifle you can go with any cartridge, not just the .270. If you already have rifles in .270 and 30-06 you could always go with a 25-06, the .280 Rem. or .35 Whelen. Maybe even something really interesting like the 338-06, I would like to give one of those a try myself...
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #18
balderclev

I know next to nothing about this conversation but isn't the increased sound simply because the end of the barrel is closer to the ear?
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #19
WestKentucky

Why not thread it and use a 6.8 flash suppressor?