Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 130 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 11, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3226
dubbleA

DSM it's the bigger G0709. I just purchased a older Southbend Heavy 10 today and will pick it up in a day or two.
Old November 12, 2013, 04:08 AM   #3227
Rushthezeppelin

I find it ironic all these people who have one little dinky single stage but then so much components their reloading bench is piled high. I'm the exact opposite right now with my only press being a progressive but then very little components (less than 8 lbs total of powder, less than 1k bullets and sitting at about 500 SPPs) :P
Old November 12, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3228
NeuseRvrRat

maybe they just have a lot more time than they have money. that's my case, anyway.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3229
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
I find it ironic all these people who have one little dinky single stage but then so much components their reloading bench is piled high. I'm the exact opposite right now
Which means that while you're at home, staring at your pretty progressive press, the guy with the one "dinky" single stage press is shooting all he wants.
Believe it or not, there are people who load and shoot their entire lives and never have the slightest desire to own a progressive press. I know a couple of older guys that way. They've been loading 30-40 years on the same RCBS Rockchucker press. They could buy a progressive if they wanted to, but don't.
To each his own.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3230
loose noose

Rush, can you reload shotgun shells on your progressive press?
Old November 12, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3231
Rushthezeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose noose View Post
Rush, can you reload shotgun shells on your progressive press?
I dont shoot shotties...
Old November 12, 2013, 01:18 PM   #3232
dsm

dubble... that's cool. Hard to beat a nice heavy 10 for the home shop! I looked high and low for a good one, but either missed them or ended up being pretty worn.
Old November 18, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3233
Tom488

I re-arranged my loading area somewhat. Adding a Dillon 1050 necessitated building a new, lower, bench - as I like to sit when reloading.

The bench is made of 2x4s and 3/4" plywood. Two layers for the work surface (plus a piece of masonite), with a 6" overhang, and a single layer for the lower shelf (which sits on 8" legs, including one in the middle to prevent sagging). The lower shelf was designed to accomodate 50 cal ammo cans underneath it, which then necessitated a slight modification to the Lowes 5-drawer tool chest, which was an after-thought. Nothing a Sawzall couldn't fix.

The bench is fastened to the wall, screwed in to the structure behind the metal sheathing. Wire shelving from Lowes provides to the overhead storage, and power strips and LED light bars are mounted to the shelving using industrial, ANSI-rated zip ties.

A custom mount for the Mr. Bulletfeeder was further customized to sit at the correct height for the 1050, and a spare forming die from a parts bender sits on the bullet dropper, to ensure a positive return (so the tension in the feed spring doesn't hold the bulelt dropper open).

SAAMI-approved bullet guides (re-purposed cardboard from a MidwayUSA shipment) ensures that all the completed cartridges find their way into the bin - some were sneaking off behind the press.

This week's goal is to make the right-hand bench as clean-looking as the left - which is a lofty goal... it looks like a junkyard right about now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewBench1.jpg (122.5 KB, 416 views)
Old November 18, 2013, 07:53 PM   #3234
VonFatman

Very nice set-up....I bet that 1050 is a sweetie.

Bob
Old November 20, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3235
silicosys4

Well, here is a picture of my new loading area, just moved last month and am in the process of setting up so will post an after picture as well. This spot will be much nicer than my last setup, more light and warmer too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.9 KB, 151 views)
Old November 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3236
Weber

Old November 23, 2013, 09:04 PM   #3237
enine

I'm benchless at the moment but reloading anyway.
Old November 23, 2013, 09:13 PM   #3238
Countryboy1150

Here is mine. Still collecting equipment. Still need a thumler tumbler kit. A Wilson SS micrometer case trimmer and a manual powder drop. Not sure on which drop to purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reloading bench.jpg (8.3 KB, 214 views)
Old November 24, 2013, 12:23 AM   #3239
thefish

New Bench

Here's my new bench. Got it together finally last night, after working on it with limited time in the evenings. Made with about $30 of material, mostly scraps.

I mounted the press to a piece of 3/4" finish plywood, and that piece of plywood is attached to the bench with 3 bolts, with T-nuts on the underside of the bench. That way, I can keep the press put away but quickly reinstall. I'll countersink the three holes in the bench, and that way I can install short taper head machine screws to plug the holes, and have a smooth bench surface for other projects. It's a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5603.jpg (79.0 KB, 296 views)

Last edited by thefish; November 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old November 24, 2013, 07:35 AM   #3240
carbine85

Weber: Nice set-up. I noticed the little message you have on the tablet

"That's the good thing as a President, I can do whatever I want"
Barack Obama - Americas 1st Dictator
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights)
Old November 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #3241
Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine85 View Post
Weber: Nice set-up. I noticed the little message you have on the tablet
Thanks!
Old November 24, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3242
Ronno

The one thing that is most important in building a bench, I can speak of this from years of reloading and having 13 presses set up and running, is a SOLID BENCH... NO give at all in any operation. If you can get that done/built you will see a world of difference.

I'm talking rock solid from starting stroke to the finishing of the handle going back to start... Trust me on this one everyone... Make sure or do whatever you have to so that bench don't move, flex anything but stay still!..
Old November 24, 2013, 08:06 PM   #3243
LAH

Quote:
I'm talking rock solid from starting stroke to the finishing of the handle going back to start... Trust me on this one everyone... Make sure or do whatever you have to so that bench don't move, flex anything but stay still!
How very true. You need a solid bench. I had a chance to load 45 ACP on a Dillon 1000 which was mounted to a steel bench. There is nothing like it. You knew when the primer was seated & if you crushed any carbon doing it.
Old November 24, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3244
shadow9

I'm with enine- but have bench. All current items fit in said toolkit, except I need to narrow it down to Universal and RL22 for powders. I have a number of other powders, but this is my "bug-out"/Range-kit set. I use the Lee Hand Press exclusively, but have the Breechlock Challenger in the basement if I want to free up a hand for moving shells to-and-from the press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1229121146.jpg (73.8 KB, 126 views)
Old November 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3245
1John1:9

Thought I'd update, since I took slightly better pictures. Here is my simple set up in our bedroom closet. I have a good wife.

Old November 25, 2013, 10:07 PM   #3246
Matno

Here's an update of mine. Still working on it, but I'm actually to the point where I can reload there now. Need a little organizer with clear drawers for small bits and going to add another shelf. There's a second wall of pegboard that's going up on the left side soon. Plenty of space for my needs (just not for my wants)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1385435266803.jpg (115.5 KB, 190 views)
Old November 27, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3247
enine

Quote:
I'm with enine- but have bench. All current items fit in said toolkit, except I need to narrow it down to Universal and RL22 for powders. I have a number of other powders, but this is my "bug-out"/Range-kit set.
Hey now, I've already laid claim to the name Bug Out Reloading Kit or BORK for short
Old November 28, 2013, 11:29 AM   #3248
Airpirate

An option for those who do not want build their own. I bought this at Costco. It is on wheels, but it is absolutely stable. No movement during reloading. It has locking cabinets, lots of storage, and a nice, thick, oak working surface. Assembly was straight forward, and no parts were missing.
Old November 28, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3249
ole farmerbuck
Contributing Member

Looks like a good one.
Old November 28, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3250
Potatohead
Contributing Member

Thats nice, I'd like to have the ability to wheel around. Great that it doesn't sacrifice stability. Ive pondered the idea of putting heavy duty wheels/casters on my reloading stand.