Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 22 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 4, 2008, 01:36 AM   #526
lgbloader

"the first thing I remember knowing, was a lonesome whistle blowing...."

All that and more, Mate.

Too bad I had a couple of cold ones, that music makes me either want to handload or drink!!!

I think I'll just sit here and drink... LOL...

Cheers, JM and THR Crew, this drinks for all of you.
Old June 8, 2008, 03:59 PM   #527
4Runner06

I Became A Reloader Totally By Accident

Stepgrandson just got out of Marine bootcamp and training for an intelligence unit then promptly volunteered for duty in Iraq. Is he brave or what? He leaves next month. Last year his dad (also an ex-Marine) got a call from the ex-spouse of a buddy of his who used to be a mechanic for United Airlines in Indianapolis saying she had all this strange "junk" in her attic that she didn't know what to do with that her ex had never taken with him when he left. She asked my stepson to come and take it away. My stepson went over to the house and found a bunch of reloading equipment barely used. He called me down here in Tampa knowing I go to the range frequently and had recently gotten my CCP and asked if I had any use for it as he moves around so much he hasn't any place to set up and doesn't shoot much anymore even though he has dozens of rifles and goes camping whenever he can. I said yes of course I'll take it I have been getting killed with ammo prices and this is just the solution. At about the same time I had taken a new position here in Tampa and one of my co-workers, an ex-Navy man, and I got to talking about guns and it so happened we both frequented the same outdoor target range. Incredibly, he turned out to be a reloader. So, I got him to agree that if I brought all of this gear down from Indy he would help me set it up. So in May of 07 the wife and I and the 3 dogs took the SUV up to Indy and wined and dined and pizza'ed all of my stepson's kids and him as well, every day for a week. I figure I paid twice the market value for the reloading gear in meal costs that went into the coffers of Carrabba's and several other notable eateries in the Indianapolis area that week! However knowing I was getting a reloading set up into the bargain made those meals that much more satisfying. I spent a sweltering day in his storage unit looking at all kinds of strange machinery I had no idea what to do with. When we got what looked good together and threw everything else out, I bubble wrapped every piece and stowed it in the SUV for the trip back. It must have weighed a few hundred pounds. Back home in Tampa I found the RMLS website and reviewed some reloading texts lent to me by my ex-Navy co-worker and settled on a modified version of the original German bench design. The result is as you see here. It's small and in my garage but it would take a bomb to make it move. I've been reloading for about a year now and love every minute of it. The money saved and the improved accuracy at the range are just unbelievable. All I had to buy was the lumber for the bench and a few die sets, powder and primers. I had inherited some 30.06 shells that my Navy friend happily took for his rifle in exchange for a nice stainless steel caliper and a digital battery powder scale that works just fine. (The Lyman manual scale I got from the Indy deal just would not work for me.) I reload .32 auto, 357 Magnum, and .38 Special. Thanks for letting me join your group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 183.jpg (923.5 KB, 791 views)
Old June 8, 2008, 08:16 PM   #528
BullsEye10x

4Runner06,
That's a great story and certainly a unique way to get into reloading. Enjoy your new hobby, and tell tell your grandson "Semper Fi" for me!
Old June 9, 2008, 12:26 PM   #529
RugerBob

and my casting area
Old June 9, 2008, 01:07 PM   #530
presspuller

Finally took a picture of my set up.
Old June 9, 2008, 04:06 PM   #531
pzember

tremendous!
Old June 9, 2008, 06:15 PM   #532
- J -

I lack space (and a tumbler):

Old June 11, 2008, 09:26 PM   #533
THe Dove

More clear pic I hope

My humble cave! Not much but I enjoy!

The Dove

Old June 11, 2008, 09:46 PM   #534
G33InMyPocket

You guys benches make me cry....
Pics of my humble bench.....

A big plus though, it's in my living room.
Old June 15, 2008, 11:29 PM   #535
kmtirish

granite

has anybody got a pic of a granite top reloading bench?
benelli nova 12g,rem 870 12g x2, moss 500ss 12 g

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
Old June 15, 2008, 11:47 PM   #536
ZeSpectre

Quote:
has anybody got a pic of a granite top reloading bench?
I would think the stress and flexing of the press would crack a granite countertop. I certainly could be wrong though.
Old June 16, 2008, 01:53 AM   #537
lazyeye

This is my "bench". In front of my PC, watching movies and reloading 9mm.
Luke 22:36 says to sell your clothes and buy a sword. This is wise, because nobody will mess with a nude guy carrying a sword.
Old June 16, 2008, 02:14 AM   #538
Okiecruffler

Hey, that looks alot like my old reloading bench.

John A. Monroe, Cruffler, Contender fiend, 311 addict, PICU nurse.
Old June 16, 2008, 02:11 PM   #539
lazyeye

We all start somewhere. A true "bench" wouldn't fit very well in my apartment.
Luke 22:36 says to sell your clothes and buy a sword. This is wise, because nobody will mess with a nude guy carrying a sword.
Old June 16, 2008, 09:08 PM   #540
Peter M. Eick

As a geologist, I can tell you that a granite table top for reloading would not be a good idea. Rocks do not like to be shear or torqued. Compressed they are happy but twist them and they start to develop fractures along the grain boundaries. Real granite (not so called granite like at most stores which is actually a dimension stone) will tend to break quickly under a shear stress with repeated loading like a reloading press would give it.

While it could be done if the table were thick enough, and the bolts were washered out over a big area, I would not recommend it. Wrong material for the job.
Old June 16, 2008, 11:20 PM   #541
lordgroom

I love that last response. really, it made me laugh in a good way. Great information and completely unexpected. Just goes to show you how diverse the membership is.
Old June 17, 2008, 01:09 AM   #542
TimT

wish my 2 benches were as effecient as lazyeyes-that is commendable! keep it simple. If I could have been just content with one firearm-oh well.
Old June 18, 2008, 04:07 AM   #543
ADKWOODSMAN

I noticed those DELL boxes. Have to wait to save up for a "real" reloader?
Old June 18, 2008, 11:47 AM   #544
lazyeye

Those Dell boxes are my computer desk, coffee table, nightstand, and whatever other furniture I don't feel like buying.
Yeah, I live Spartan so that I can pay down college debt and get some real reloading kit someday.
Old June 22, 2008, 09:35 PM   #545
Roper1952

I'll see if I can figure out how to post a photo or two of my reloading/tying bench. I have finished the raised panel door for the left hand cabinet, guess I better take another photo...

I load shotshells, 9mm and 38/357, and tie flies on this setup. Each loader has a baseplate that I simply clamp to the bench top. Makes for a nice clean work surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loadermountingplate.jpg (62.8 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg drawersin3.jpg (54.4 KB, 677 views)
Old June 22, 2008, 09:43 PM   #546
BullsEye10x

Hey Roper - I have one of those "Sun Lights" on my nightstand. They are pretty darn bright!
Old June 23, 2008, 02:23 AM   #547
pzember

Hey Roper! Place baseplate upside down, retains spilled shot and powder, I am sorry for my sapient...
Old June 23, 2008, 06:33 PM   #548
Roper1952

But I never spill shot or powder...
Old June 24, 2008, 01:31 PM   #549
skywalkrNCSU

here is mine...just got it all setup

Old June 25, 2008, 05:48 PM   #550
mkl

Here’s a picture of the “Green Monster” that I built around 1965 and still use today. The name was given to this “portable” reloading stand by the guys at the moving company when they tried to move it into their truck.

The base is an 18-inch diameter quarter-inch steel plate.

The pedestal is a 30-inch long piece of 4-inch oil field “drill stem” or drilling pipe. The walls on this pipe are 3/8-inch thick. I wanted the extra weight for stability.

The top is a 12x12-inch piece of quarter inch steel plate.

The piece of 3/4-inch plywood bolted to the top of the steel plate measures 22x17 inches. You can see the plywood-to-plate bolts in the picture.

This sucker weighs about 65 pounds and is as stable as a rock.

Note that both presses are bolted through the plywood into the quarter-inch steel plate welded to the top of the pedestal. There is zero “flex” in either press even with very heavy pressure on the press handle.

Stores easily in a corner, closet, etc. but you do have to have a strong back to move it around.

After 40+ years of use, it’s not very pretty in the picture, but it still works just like new. Maybe I’ll give it a paint job on its 50th anniversary!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Monster_1.jpg (475.3 KB, 678 views)