Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 15, 2006, 03:57 PM   #51
LAH

Redneck I love that desk/bench.

44/45 the local gunshop has a Tru-Line Jr. for sale.
Old October 15, 2006, 06:41 PM   #52
44and45
Member In Memoriam

Well, recomend the Dillon for handgun flake powder, or extruded rifle powder, does a good job with its metering slide bar.

The Lyman Tru-line Jr. uses only small 5/8X30 threaded 310 dies. These little dies can be used with a Lyman tong tool that slightly resembles a nut cracker.

However, and this is pretty weird, the little 310 seating die does a beautiful job on roll crimping my big bore handgun brass.

Even with a tong tool, a guy can crank out (slowly) excellent ammunition.

Jim
Old October 15, 2006, 07:13 PM   #53
Liberty4Ever

Quote:
Even with a tong tool, a guy can crank out (slowly) excellent ammunition.
Lee Precision makes a big deal about some pretty amazing shooting (even by today's standards) that won a major shooting competition, and the ammo was manufactured using a Lee Loader, which is a very simple aparatus that started the home reloading market in the 1950s. The entire Lee Loader was very inexpensive and shipped in a cardboard storage box not much bigger than a deck of cards. I believe the customer did request a slight modification to the die, though, to increase accuracy a bit. The Lee Loader didn't use a press at all. Instead, a hammer was used! It was noisy, but effective. Hard to believe such precise ammo was made by hammering on it.
Old October 15, 2006, 07:22 PM   #54
JDGray

Heres my reloading desks
Old October 15, 2006, 08:37 PM   #55
caz223

Quote:
Lee Precision makes a big deal about some pretty amazing shooting (even by today's standards) that won a major shooting competition, and the ammo was manufactured using a Lee Loader, which is a very simple aparatus that started the home reloading market in the 1950s. The entire Lee Loader was very inexpensive and shipped in a cardboard storage box not much bigger than a deck of cards. I believe the customer did request a slight modification to the die, though, to increase accuracy a bit. The Lee Loader didn't use a press at all. Instead, a hammer was used! It was noisy, but effective. Hard to believe such precise ammo was made by hammering on it.
After using a lee loader for a few years, there's nothing about that I don't believe.
The leel loader makes great ammo, esp in the magnum calibers.
The .41 mag ammo it was was every bit as good as any cranked off in any press, using any dies, provided the components are good.
The accuracy mostly has to do with how the case is sized. (Neck size.)
Neck sizing in combination with using the brass in one gun over and over fireforms the ammo to your gun's chamber, making that accuracy possible.
Old October 16, 2006, 01:16 AM   #56
cloudcroft

Redneck,

Many years ago, I used a Lee Auto Disk powder measure (standard version) and it worked fine.

Recently, when I got back into reloading, I had read that the Lee PRO auto-disk powder measure worked better due to the teflon coating that the standard auto-disk doesn't have (and I guess the elastomer wiper on it is better, too). Also, I got the adjustable powder charging bar for it so I do not use the fixed powder disks...it also works fine.

-- John D.
Old October 16, 2006, 01:58 AM   #57
Redneck with a 40

Personally, I'm ok with loading 50 rounds/hour, I'm getting very accurate and consistent ammo. Plus I like being intimate with the reloading process. Yeah it takes awhile, but I enjoy the time spent doing it. Just this week alone, reloading 1 hour a day, I''ve loaded 400 rounds of ammo. Since I only shoot 50 rounds/week, this is sufficient. I'll stick to my current method, the accuracy I'm getting is awesome.
Old October 16, 2006, 11:32 AM   #58
Liberty4Ever

If you enjoy 50 rounds per hour, more power to you. I agree, if you enjoy doing it, it's time well spent. I can sympathize with not wanting to mess with the primer feed on progressive presses. That seems to be the biggest problem with Lee progressive presses, and it can flat take all the fun out of it.

But I like fiddling with machines. I also like to shoot a lot. I reload 200-400 rounds an hour, and I shoot 200-400 rounds of 10mm when I go to the range. Lately I've been reloading 9mm to shoot in the Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm folding carbine, and it's a hungry little beast. It's so much fun to shoot that I seldom get away before firing 300 rounds, not to mention the ammo expended taking friends along to introduce them to shooting.

The differences in our reloading habits demonstrates the wide range of interests reflected in reloading. Soon, I hope to have a very accurate long range high caliber rifle. Then, I expect to enjoy slow and careful hand crafting of fire formed ammo for maximum accuracy, which is very different from sitting down to make a lot of high quality pistol plinking ammo.

Next up for me: .223 and .308. - plinking at first, then more accurate (but still progressive reloaded for semi-autos).
Old October 17, 2006, 10:06 AM   #59
LAH

OK JDGray what's that hanging behind the paper towells?
Old October 17, 2006, 06:31 PM   #60
JDGray

Duct tape & a bore snake Your probably wanting to know what that relic pinfire revolver is? Well, its DA SA, 9mm(near as I can tell) Says "systeme italie" on the frame, and a word I cant make out starting with a G and ends with Br. In other words, I got no idea
Old October 18, 2006, 12:16 PM   #61
JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone

My modest bench.

I could have sworn I posted a pic of this at one time or another...

Old October 18, 2006, 12:49 PM   #62
Liberty4Ever

Can we assume that WD-40 is on the reloading bench for the times you need to deactivate primers?

Old October 18, 2006, 02:25 PM   #63

No. I don't deactivate primers. I just throw them into the fire.
Old October 18, 2006, 04:04 PM   #64
JDGray

The WD-40 makes good case lube, everybody knows that
Old October 18, 2006, 06:12 PM   #65
LAH

Some nice stuff there Jack.........Creeker
Old October 20, 2006, 02:22 AM   #66
Arkie

Well one of these days I will have a bench with more stuff on it. LOL...

Bench...
Old October 20, 2006, 08:50 AM   #67
LAH

Hey Arkie.........tell us about that bench? Looks great.......Creeker
Old October 20, 2006, 02:54 PM   #68

Arkie's bench is much too clean for me. I need to know where things are at all times. Usually right on top of the bench. But there's a ton of components on the shelves to the right. Loaded ammo is locked in the cabinet on the left. I have kids that shoot, still, I keep things locked up. Their friends are the one's I worry about. The safe is in the same room. It is a down stairs/basement room in the corner of the house. 10'x11'ish. The door to the room also locks, although it's not a reinforced fire door. (yet) Next challenge is to figure out a sprinkler system for the room. There's a copper water pipe just above in the false cieling.

-Steve
Old October 20, 2006, 05:22 PM   #69
Arkie

The bench is a Craftsman work bench and I got real cheap with the backboard also. It has a light on it also.

Nice solid top with 5 drawers to put everything in.

It's clean cause I just got everthing all arranged on it and haven't started working yet. LOL...

Don't worry, it will get messy.

oh, and the eagle in the middle is a dinner bell.
Old October 21, 2006, 06:54 PM   #70
SIRVEYR666

Here's my humble set up:
I do mostly 9mm and .45ACP. Occasionally, I'll do up a few .38SPL or .357MAG.

My reloading assistant:
He can find anything that I drop...and eat it.

Old October 22, 2006, 09:40 AM   #71
JDGray

Looks like you size and deprime on the single stage, like me Its a PITA to do it on the turret, with spent primers going everyhere.
Old October 22, 2006, 10:00 AM   #72
Liberty4Ever

The new Lee Classic Turret Press is getting very good reviews. It addresses a lot of the concerns from their previous turret press. The spent primers are neatly routed to a container or straight into a waste basket for disposal. The new Lever Primer System is also reported to be very simple and reliable.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

It's currently on sale at MidwayUSA. Check out the customer reviews.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=814175

Even with the auto-index, it's still not as fast as a progressive press, but it's also a lot simpler and probably a lot more reliable. I'm committed to my progressive LoadMaster press, but I'd like to try the Lee Classic Turret Press. I wouldn't mind spending more time reloading and less time working on the press and clearing jams stemming from priming problems.
Old October 22, 2006, 11:33 AM   #73
JDGray

I wished I'd waited a month, befor getting my turret press, as Lee came out with the classic just after I got mine bolted to the bench. After priming cases,500 usually at a time, I can reload 100 cartridges in 10-15mins, easy. I still clean the primer pockets, and like priming, off the press. I have probably 1000 9mm & 500 45ACP cases ready to load, at all times, just sitting in coffee cans , which I noticed alot of people have on their benches.
Old October 22, 2006, 11:55 AM   #74
v65magnafan

Just Starting

I started reloading about one month ago.

Old October 22, 2006, 06:25 PM   #75
ir3e971

My Reloading Area

Here is my humble reloading area.

It works well for me.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench.jpg (72.5 KB, 2271 views)