Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 51 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 20, 2009, 05:02 PM   #1251
LAH

Quote:
OMG, you can reload ANYTHING with all that mess?????
Mess..........I don't see no mess.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
Old September 20, 2009, 08:43 PM   #1252
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcoyote
....Where did you get the L bracket used to reinforce the bench overhang?
Made it from some scrap aluminum angle.
Old September 20, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1253
11c2v

Here is my Fortress of Solitude. It is a work in process but is fully function as it is now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0909091805.jpg (158.8 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg 0909091805a.jpg (136.2 KB, 367 views)
Old September 20, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1254
snuffy

Quote:
OMG, you can reload ANYTHING with all that mess?????
I sure can, want to stop by & watch? I spend my time loading, not cleaning up. Or shooting, so I can load more!

Bad habit, I admit. Never clean-up after I'm finished. If I ever do get it straightened out, I doubt it would stay that way. Character flaw? Well I'm certainly NOT an OCD sufferer.

Damn gideon, you had to go WWWWAAAAYYYY back to dig that out, didn't you?
Old September 20, 2009, 09:23 PM   #1255
snuffy

11c2v, nice set-up, but you'd better get that powder out of that pact dispenser. I left some in mine once, ONCE,ONCE took a long time to get it all scrapped out of the plastic bottom. It was double based powder, the nitro content acts like a solvent to the plastic. Ate right into the plastic, it still has dimples in it!
Old September 20, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1256
ohioshooter

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ohioshooter; September 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: picture codes wrong
Old September 21, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1257
17Chap

Ohioshooter, have large worms ever crashed into your reloading room?

Great setup, I'm jealous!

Chap
Old September 21, 2009, 04:02 PM   #1258
flashhole

17Chap

It was the basement, not the living room. The worm came right through the cinder block wall.
Old September 21, 2009, 04:26 PM   #1259
ohioshooter

Only earth worms and I shot em'
Old September 21, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1260
Maverick223

Quote:
It was the basement, not the living room. The worm came right through the cinder block wall.
It was the rec room...located in the basement. "Broke into the wrong [gawl dern] rec room, didn't ya...?"-Burt
Old September 22, 2009, 09:25 AM   #1261
Johnnyz53

Hi Y'all. I need some feedback on my reload benches. I am told that no one is making custom reload benches. I have two types that I have been building and could use further input. What we have been doing is based on client requests.

Thanks in advance for helping me build the best bench there could be.

John
www.americanworkbench.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg constitutionfront.jpg (552.4 KB, 768 views)

Last edited by Johnnyz53; September 22, 2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: remove html
Old September 22, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1262
snuffy

WOW

John, that is one nice bench! It could take it's place in a living room! Much too nice to be used, I'd be afraid to drill holes to mount a press.

Oh also, welcome to the forum, throw down the anchor and set a spell!
Old September 22, 2009, 01:54 PM   #1263
Johnnyz53

Hi Snuffy,
Thats funny, Most of my clients say that they're afraid to put the first ding in them, But. . . all new things look bright and shiny. The cool thing is that holes and be filled on wood like this...Thanks for the comments.....having been in the Navy.....weighing rusty anchors can be hazardous...LOL

Jaz
www.americanworkbench.com

Last edited by Johnnyz53; September 22, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 22, 2009, 01:55 PM   #1264
Maverick223

Welcome to THR, John. Good looking bench you have there.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1265
LAH

Welcome to the board. If we could see the bracing under the pretties it would help. And it is pretty.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
Old September 23, 2009, 05:35 PM   #1266
Ianmtx

Here's an update to the bench, got my new Hornady Lock N Load and the case feeder. Will probably get a bullet feeder within a few months:

DSC01543.JPG

DSC01548.JPG
Old September 24, 2009, 07:27 AM   #1267
LAH

Love that red Ianmtx.

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood
Old September 29, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1268
Seedtick

Question Another Question

Quote:
Rembrandt - I prefer the PVC plates over wood because they're stronger, won't scratch the bench surface like steel or aluminum, and can be easily cut and drilled. No flex at all with the PVC. All plates are 1/2" except for 3/4" on the Dillon because of the added overhang....due to ceiling height limitations the Dillon strong mount couldn't be used.The mounting points are spread out for the adapter plates, flex is eliminated.
Rembrandt, How far apart did you you space your tracks? And how large are your mounting plates?

My 3 in thick x 20 in wide white oak slabs were delivered today. Man are they heavy!

ST
Old September 29, 2009, 04:11 PM   #1269
something vague

Quote:
My 3 in thick x 20 in wide white oak slabs were delivered today. Man are they heavy!
Did you order those slabs locally? I'm seriously contemplating making my own slabs but would consider buying them depending on prices. I really don't have the proper tools to join boards togther, i.e. a jointer.
Old September 29, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1270
flashhole

Pictures ... we need pictures.
Old September 29, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1271
Rembrandt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtick
....How far apart did you you space your tracks? And how large are your mounting plates?
Dimension from outside of one rail (not the slots) to the outside of the other...9". (you can make it what ever you like) Plates vary, most are 12" X 12"....or 10" X 12".

The critical part is to make sure rails are exactly parallel to each other or the plates will bind when sliding loaders from one end of the bench to the other. Good Luck....post pictures when you're done.
Old September 29, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1272
Seedtick

Quote:
something vague - Did you order those slabs locally? I'm seriously contemplating making my own slabs but would consider buying them depending on prices. I really don't have the proper tools to join boards togther, i.e. a jointer.
Yeah, I got them locally from a sawmill. I never found anything that was finished around here or on the web that was reasonably priced. Actually, I never found a 'for sure' anything that size. One guy said he might be able to get some big stuff but it would be $200+.

We are going to carry the slabs to a cabinet shop and get him to finish them. After I have wagged that heavy stuff around a few times I may wish I had just used some 2x6's and plywood or something.

Quote:
Rembrandt - Dimension from outside of one rail (not the slots) to the outside of the other...9". (you can make it what ever you like) Plates vary, most are 12" X 12"....or 10" X 12".

The critical part is to make sure rails are exactly parallel to each other or the plates will bind when sliding loaders from one end of the bench to the other. Good Luck....post pictures when you're done.
Rembrandt, that is about how far apart I was thinking. I have already made some 12"x12" plates out of some of the plywood left over from our cabinets. So it looks like I'm on the right track. (pun intended)

I'll be taking some pictures when I actually get something done. It seems like every time I get started something else comes up and I get sidetracked. Oh well, such is life....

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

ST
Old September 30, 2009, 06:23 PM   #1273
something vague

Seedtick,

You ought to finish those off yourself. A nice tung oil would really look beautiful. Oil's can take some time to cure and apply enough coats. But even a polyurethane would look great. Both these finshes would work great over a stain of your choice. Not real difficult to do and will be much cheaper. I actually love working and finishing wood, such a satisfing hobby!
Old October 1, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1274
Seedtick

Quote:
something vague -
You ought to finish those off yourself. A nice tung oil would really look beautiful. Oil's can take some time to cure and apply enough coats. But even a polyurethane would look great. Both these finshes would work great over a stain of your choice. Not real difficult to do and will be much cheaper. I actually love working and finishing wood, such a satisfing hobby!
Hey sv, That was the original plan and I still may do that depending on how well they look when the cabinet guy gets done. I'm wanting to fix it like Rembrandt did his with a cover to go over the t-tracks for when the presses are removed. The main purpose for the bench will reloading, ABSOLUTELY, but I'll also use it for other stuff. I like to tinker - guns, computers, fishing reels, general household maintenance, etc., and being able to cover up the the tracks will prevent some headache, like trying to fish out little parts that have tried to escape. I'm also going to put some kind of trim around the edge to keep stuff from rolling off onto the floor.

If I go the plywood route I'm thinking it might look better with covers made with the plywood. The cabinet maker can get the cover material off of the side of the slabs but I don't know how that will look. Then again, it is a work/reload/hobby bench and it is in my man cave so the look only has to please me. (hang on a minute.....okay, she is already asleep, carry on) Like I was saying - it only has to please me!

ST
Old October 1, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1275
lgbloader

I changed my post to I think I'll just mind my own damn business.

LGB