Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 60 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 16, 2010, 05:20 PM   #1476
curly67

aussie shepard sleepin next to the heater ahhh the dogs life.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:39 PM   #1477
corky52

How much overhang did you leave?

There is 2 1/2" from the front edge of the top to the front 2x6 of the framing. The third bolt in the rear of the press is actually on the other side of that 2x6. As a matter of fact, the rear bolt is a 10" long all thread. It's drilled through a 2x6 crossmember and nutted top and bottom. I think you'd break the press before it pulled off the benchtop.

Also, what type of adhesive did you use to attache the masonite

The benchtop is 2x6s. There is 3/16"plywood screwed to that. The 3/16" masonite panel is attached with construction adhesive. Sorta like Liquid Nails. Comes in a caulk tube.

The only problem is, now I cannot disassemble the bench top. All screws are covered. I can take it off as a unit, but I bet it's a heavy mother! ;-)

Charlie
Old July 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1478
luis7

Hi at all.
This´s mine with my new dillon 550.
Greetings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1716.jpg (259.9 KB, 504 views)
Old July 17, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1479
flashhole

You just have to admire a bench sporting tri-colors.
Old July 18, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1480
bds
Contributing Member

Here's my small (2'x2') portable reloading bench on casters (I also have two 2'W x 5'L benches in the garage also on casters).

This small portable reloading bench can be used just about anywhere in the house. I roll it into the living room to deprime/size while watching TV (patio for watching the sunset with wife), remove the plastic trays to sort range brass (I have a dedicated sorting deep pan with multiple boxes for different caliber, and roll it into the reloading room for focused/concentrated reloading.

Bench is built to this size (2'W x 2'L) so it will roll through any inside doorway (common door frame opening is 27.5" with the door open) and into the closet for storage (my reloading room's walk-in closet door frame opening is 26" with the door open). Height of the bench is 32" for my sit-down use but should be custom tailored to the user's height for ergonomics. I use casters from Harbor Freight furniture moving dolly as they are rated for heavy weight and they roll easy on the carpet/don't mar the hardwood floor ($8-$10 on sale = $2-$2.50 per caster). The 2x4s are fastened with 8d/10d nails and 4" drywall screws. Presses are bolted with nylon locking nuts. Bottom shelf has another 2x4 brace in the middle so you can put as many boxes of bullets as you want there (I have put up to 40K bullets on the bottom shelf with no show of deflection and the bench still rolled easily - it is rated for much more weight).

I have used 2x6 as bench top material, but it split/cracked/chipped as the wood dried within a year. I usually use plywood or OSB screwed to the top of the 2x4 frame rails with another 2x4 added for strength/stiffness. I have noticed that OSB actually provides greater degree of stiffness and is cheaper than plywood (check the discard bin at HomeDepot/Lowes and you may get lucky too). I even thought about using two layers of plywood/OSB, but with the 2x4 frame rails and single layer plywood/OSB, the bench top does not flex and the stiffness increases for the smaller portable bench.

For ease of cleaning, I wrap the bench top with heavy vinyl sheet from the craft section at Walmart (usually $2-$3 worth) and staple to the inside of the 2x4 frame rails. To catch any spills and keep loose components from rolling off the bench top (like live primer into the carpet) I used to add a strip of wood at the edge of the bench top under the vinyl, but now use plastic trays cut around the press (I buy these at the dollar store - they are called All-Purpose Tray and used for muddy boots by the door).

Station one die hole is empty because the depriming/sizing die is on the RCBS RS5 single stage for separate depriming/sizing.

Do something meaningful and fun ... today:
Support vendors offering 5% THR discount - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760272
Support THR by becoming a contributing member - http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Support Pay it Forward thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=698208

Revelation 19:11
Old July 23, 2010, 03:13 AM   #1481
chagasrod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVwFJV4kYXs

Just a quick clip of my setup. Still a work in progress!
Old July 23, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1482
Offfhand

Tidy loading bench

Not my bench, but that of a shooting buddy. You should see inside his office and truck too. I call him Tidy Tim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tidybench.JPG (58.1 KB, 466 views)
Old July 24, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1483
Kevin Rohrer

Another Work In-Progress

Earlier today I completed Phase-2 of my reloading project when I reassembled and mounted a Lyman All-American turret.

Phase-1: In March I cleaned out and cleaned up a room in the basement for reloading and game playing, since christened the Furhrerbunker (I also play board wargames and military miniatures). This took 2-weeks. After that I cleaned up a reloading bench that was languishing in my garage and moved it to the Bunker, then cleaned up and mounted the Dillon 550B. After that I bought a C-H ‘444’ and mounted it.

Phase-2: I built a second bench (the first one is <5’ long) that is 6’6” long and built with 2x12, 2x4, and 4x4 lumber, held together with 3/8” bolts. Pushed against the first bench and the wall, it is an immovable object with enough space for everything including a rifle rest for cleaning. I also purchased several presses on Ebay, then disassembled, cleaned, painted, and reassembled them. They along with two powder measures, were then mounted.

The bench is now complete and ready for use.

Phase-3: Build book shelves for the top of the benches.
Old July 25, 2010, 07:08 AM   #1484
flashhole

Good job. So which of the different style/type presses do you like using the most?
Old July 26, 2010, 01:58 AM   #1485
Wastemore

The room my wife graciously allowed me to build(because she got tired of my whining).

it's a 12x12 with AC and heat. 32 outlets so i never run out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside.jpg (56.5 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg bench.jpg (108.4 KB, 751 views)
Old July 26, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1486
Wastemore

three character rule!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left.jpg (222.0 KB, 645 views)
Old July 26, 2010, 07:19 PM   #1487
Kevin Rohrer

Quote:
So which of the different style/type presses do you like using the most?
Each press has a specific purpose. But if I could only use one, it would be the C-H '444' as it is the most versatile.

However, my *favorite* is the Hollywood Senior because of its strength and smooth operation. I plan on doing most FL resizing with it when the primers have already been removed with the Herter's Super 3 and its universal decapping die.

If I decap and resize at one time, it will be the C-H '111' as I have a tube rigged to it to collect primers as they fall out.

The Lyman will be my bullet seater.
Old August 9, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1488
nickf829

I'm just getting started in reloading, so don't knock my mediocre setup. I'm jealous of all the blue in you all's reloading rooms... maybe next go around I can upgrade to Dillon's. As of now, I am using a Hornady Lock N Load progressive press with all RCBS components

I converted the 'junk collecting' closet in my home office to a reloading "room". It's not as big or airy as I'd prefer, but it will have to do. Stripped, walls covered in aromatic cedar, bench built from 2x4's and ply, legs canty'd, everything covered/veneered in birch ply and stained w/ 3 coats of cherry stain and 3 coats of poly(top has 5 coats). Not as nice as some, but it isn't so much of an eyesore that it can't be kept inside/in a closet.

Forgive the crappy wide angle shots, I was playing with my new wide angle adapter and havn't quite gotten used to it. Not the cleanest pics in the world but they will do

Old August 9, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1489
oldreloader

Nice job nick!! There is nothing wrong with your set up!! It doesn't have to be blue to be good. Dillon does make great equipment but so does everyone else. I'v been reloading since the 1960's and I still do everything on single stage presses because that's the way I like to do it. I do all my loading on a RCBS Rockchucker II and a Mec 600 JR Mark V. Everyone has their own way and if Dillon suits you then by all means go for it, but remember for the most part it's the reloader not the equipment that makes the difference. Enjoy !
Old August 9, 2010, 12:39 AM   #1490
chagasrod

Nice Setup Nick!!!
Old August 9, 2010, 12:50 AM   #1491
Maverick223

Quote:
remember for the most part it's the reloader not the equipment that makes the difference.
Very well said, oldreloader. The same is true for shooting (well its the rifleman, not the reloader, but you get the point).

Old August 9, 2010, 07:36 AM   #1492
flashhole

Nick, nice start. I'm a bit disappointed in you though. Reloading is a beer drinking sport, what's that glass of wine doing in plain view? You trying to give us rednecks a bad name?
Old August 9, 2010, 07:42 AM   #1493
THe Dove

Maybe so Flash but notice he's chasing it with a double Jack on the rocks ;-)

The Dove
Old August 9, 2010, 07:49 AM   #1494
flashhole

I guess he has redeemed himself.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1495
nickf829

it was a freak occurence and I promise it won't happen again haha, really its usually a glass of apple juice on the rocks, but I feel better about it because I drink it from a Jack Daniels glass and put it on a JD coaster, helps to take the gay out of it
Old August 9, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1496
THe Dove

Nick

You gotta be kidding me!!!! Apple Juice at 11:38 and 11:40 PM!!! Come on man....

The Dove
Old August 9, 2010, 10:34 AM   #1497
nickf829

Last night wasn't an apple juice night, but more times than not, it would be an AJ night. I seem to function better with a nightly glass of AJ than a nightly beer or JD, a nightly beer or JD turns into multiple beer/JD's, which leads to me being up at 4am melting my brain online or tripling my post count on this forum with pictures of my reloading bench haha

Last edited by nickf829; August 9, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:38 PM   #1498
nickf829

I made an album with a few of the pics I took during the build process, maybe it will help somone who decides to build something similar down the road.

Link to album:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...set%20remodel/
Old August 12, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1499
REL1203

After looking at this thread for many months, I am finally able to post my pics... I completed the bench a few weeks ago, its the Basics 4x4, built 6.5' long by 28" deep, with one single tall shelf, 6 halogen linked lights below the shelf for light. Also pictures are my new chargemaster and prep station (both which i 100% love and recommend to anyone).

I built the bench in my basement office (only place i had any room for it), so its right near my computer which is handy to look stuff up while reloading (like manufactuers load data and stuff)

and my final toy in my man room is my safe

I went with the Lee Classic Turret Press, and so far its been good, needed some work out of the box, but its working well. I have made some EXCELLENT 308 and 223 reloads so far and its been a blast learning. From all my lessons I took, which gave me great foundatation, just sitting down, taking your time and learning as you go really has been great, learned more from just reading, and doing it myself than I thought. No problems so far, love the bench...
Old August 13, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1500
oldreloader

NICE!!! Good job on the bench REL1203