Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 70 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 17, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1726
iareConfusE

First post here. I was inspired to organize and "upgrade" my workbench by this thread.

Old January 17, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1727
motrussell

Newbie here too

Looking good!
Old January 17, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1728
byrdd

Reloading Bench

This room is my sun room that I converted into a reloading station during the winter. I got a few other hobbies represented in the photo. I got into collecting pre 1964 90% silver US coinage as seen on the top shelf. I cling to guns and precious metals. In the frame is a stock certificate for one share of one of America's best companies, Berkshire Hathaway. I have held it through the financial crises and it has stayed strong. And finally the Apple logo on the powder measure.

Last edited by byrdd; January 20, 2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added description
Old January 17, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1729
cencrunner

Here is what I have. It's an old TV cabinet With casters and doors installed on the lower half. Compact, movable, and enough room. Have a Hornady 007 press, Hornady powder measure(which is great) and a Dillon 550. The shelves are for loaded ammo storage, I need to shoot more.
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0007.jpg (186.8 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0006.jpg (184.0 KB, 135 views)
Old January 18, 2011, 12:33 PM   #1730
Steel Talon

Just an observation.. Powder in close proximity to open flame???/ high heat source (water heater)

Old January 18, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1731
Crashbox
Contributing Member

I reload about double that distance from my gas water heater and furnace. I don't see a big problem unless a major powder spillage occurred and the water heater somehow got a good whiff of it... just my opinion, nothing more.
Old January 19, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1732
iareConfusE

Yeah I knew someone would comment on that. I literally have no other space in my garage to reload. I keep the powder and primers in a locked polycarb display case. I always put my powder jug back into the case and lock it when I'm done filling my powder drop. I only have one powder, so I won't get confused with what powder I'm using. I'm not too worried about it.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1733
DM~

I wouldn't be worried either...

DM
Old January 19, 2011, 12:53 PM   #1734
mstraus

My reloader area.

I mounted the press on a elevated block so that i can remove it with two bolts from the main bench. the bolts have wing nuts under the bench.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00404.jpg (167.5 KB, 274 views)
Old January 19, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1735
THe Dove

mstraus

From the picture the handle of the press sure looks close to the edge of the counter top. Don't skin the old knuckles amigo!!!

The Dove
Old January 22, 2011, 01:01 AM   #1736
TacoMalo

Here's a small piece of mine, nothing special but it gets the job done. I built this stand for the 550 still working on a bullet tray to complete the setup.

Last edited by TacoMalo; January 22, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old January 22, 2011, 01:48 AM   #1737
Ronno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMalo View Post
Here's a small piece of mine, nothing special but it gets the job done. I built this stand for the 550 still working on a bullet tray to complete the setup.

Looks good. I like it....
Old January 22, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1738
Crewdog10

Error
Old January 22, 2011, 07:28 AM   #1739
Crewdog10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedtick View Post
Hey Crewdog10,

This is the stuff I'm using 80/20 15 Series T-Slot.

I put in 2 sticks of the 1534-Lite and I am tickled with it.
It will take more than I will ever put on it.

Seedtick

Thanks for the info, I have it bookmarked. I'm still pondering my "bench build" but think I'm going to go this route for sure. I'd considered doing the angle cut wood slide in-out method, with interchangeable pieces, but think the "t-track" would work out better.
Old January 22, 2011, 07:31 AM   #1740
Crewdog10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt View Post
Crewdog10, been using T-track style mounts for some time and it works very well. Instead of woodworking T-track I went with an extrusion rail that goes by the trade name 80-20 ( http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp ) It's offered in different configurations and shapes, with many available accessories. You can get it through MSC or any number of outlets. I used 2"W X 1" thick, about 36" long. With the help of a router its recessed into the bench top. Price is reasonable....less than $50.

Mounting plates can be made from a number of different materials...wood, aluminum, steel, or plastic. I found high density plastics (PVC) work well, light weight, available in any thickness, easy to cut & drill, doesn't rust, and won't scratch bench surface. Can be found by googling the net or check the phone book under plastics.

1/2" thick plates worked well, gives you enough material to use a counter bore or counter sink.

I liked the versatility it offered....for reloaders, vises, cleaning station and more.

Been using this system for over a year, couldn't be happier. Fasteners are 1/4-20 button head bolts, flat heads, and socket heads. Used flat heads coming up from the bottom to mount the presses, nylon lock nuts on the top side. Holes on the bottom of each plate were counter sunk.

To attach the plates to the rails, early on I used socket heads w/hardened washers, later changed this and counter bored the holes, using button head bolts. All require an allen wrench for installation. I prefer using "T-handle" allen wrenches, no need to over tighten them.

Attaching rail to the bench is really quite simple, the 80-20 rail has T-nut slots on all four sides....drill a hole through the table and come up from the bottom with a bolt into a T-nut.

Thanks for the info and the GREAT photos. I'm rethinking my bench ideas for sure, but again, lol. I've been looking for only a short period of time, but am narrowing it down. The system you have pictured looks great and VERY flexible, just what I'm looking for. Thanks again!!
Old January 23, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1741
psyshack

My simple bench.

Where is my hand out? I want it now!!!!
Old January 23, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1742
altitude_19

Tell us about your tumbler Psyshack.
Old January 24, 2011, 07:43 PM   #1743
psyshack

Its a SmartReloader SR100

http://smartreloadermfg.com/sr100casetumbler.html

I paid $29.00 for mine at the Tulsa gun show last year. Only deal I've gotten there in years.

Works well as can be expected. I tumble 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357 and a few others without issue. I only tumble 100 to 400 rounds at a time. And it moves them around in the bowl quite well.

psy

Old January 24, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1744
psyshack

Its a SmartReloader SR100

http://smartreloadermfg.com/sr100casetumbler.html

I paid $29.00 for mine at the Tulsa gun show last year. Only deal I've gotten there in years.

Works well as can be expected. I tumble 9mm, .45acp, .38/.357 and a few others without issue. I only tumble 100 to 400 rounds at a time. And it moves them around in the bowl quite well.

psy

Old January 25, 2011, 01:35 AM   #1745
Irish Bird Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Talon View Post
Just an observation.. Powder in close proximity to open flame???/ high heat source (water heater)

You could always put a "wall" between the bench and water heater ie like a piece of plywood painted nice.
Old January 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1746
TacoMalo

^^ Probably a good idea just to help you sleep better at night but from what I've seen the powder is highly unlikely to spontaneously combust/burn from that heater as a source of ignition. I'd be more concerned with storing propane bottles or some other flammable gas leak before the powder since it would only burn when intentionally exposed to a direct flame.
Old January 25, 2011, 02:30 PM   #1747
Maverick223

+1, Taco. The only concern I could see is if powder was spilled/knocked into the combustion chamber (highly unlikely but possible). A small divider made from sheetrock wouldn't be a horrible idea, but I would not use plywood due to fire hazard form the heat emitted from the water heater (also a remote possibility, but why trade one potential problem for another).

Old January 25, 2011, 09:08 PM   #1748
RMECCA06

Here mine, I tried to make it look nice since I Built it in the corner of my living room:
Old January 25, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1749
Quickdraw McGraw

You must be a bachelor!
Old January 25, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1750
mikerault

Just put this together Sunday.

This evening I put a flourescent light fixture onto the bottom of the shelf and got rid of the lamp.