Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 72 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 4, 2011, 01:04 AM   #1776
capreppy

For those with the Hornady LnL AP Press, what are the dimensions of the base?

Discount Steel is 5 minutes from my house (really convenient and never noticed them before). I can get a 3'6" (wide) x 9" (deep) x 3/16" (thick) piece of aluminum for a little over $31 (after tax and I can drive over and pick it up). I basically want to create a Strong Mount for my LnL AP.

I plan to bend it very similarly to what you see in this thread. My plan is 2" for the "feet", 12" for sides @ 15 degree angle, 10" for the base that the press will be mounted to. I didn't do the math, but 12" sides should get me around 10" of lift.

Is a "base" of 10" x 9" big enough? I believe it is, but need confirmation. Is it overkill?
I don't have the room to build a proper bench as yet (working to get the garage cleaned up enough that I have room in there to build a bench, but that is a project that has already sucked up 3 work days and I'm only 50% done. So for now, I will be mounting the LnL AP to my desk in my home office. I've got room on my desk and it is heavy and stable.
Old February 4, 2011, 10:03 AM   #1777
Winchester 70

The LNL press is 8 1/2" deep x 5" wide, with 3 3/4" of the base mounted to the bench.
Old February 4, 2011, 11:21 AM   #1778
capreppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester 70 View Post
The LNL press is 8 1/2" deep x 5" wide, with 3 3/4" of the base mounted to the bench.
Thank you sir.
Old February 4, 2011, 07:33 PM   #1779
Kevin Rohrer

duplicate message deleted.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; February 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old February 4, 2011, 07:34 PM   #1780
Kevin Rohrer

Thumbs up A Forest of Hollywoods

The bench is finally done. Here are lots of "ugly" Hollywoods that are still getting a workout 50-60 years after they were made.

Old February 5, 2011, 09:59 PM   #1781
DDawg

I didn't think I could afford to get into reloading but I lucked into a great deal on a gentleman's reloading equipment. Here is a pic of my completed setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg bench.jpeg (6.7 KB, 242 views)
Old February 6, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1782
atlasman

Just started reloading and love it. Here is a bench I made and my current gear.

Old February 6, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1783
oldreloader

VERY nice atlasman. You have lots of great gear but your bench will SOON be too small. This hobby grows on you real quick..LOL.
Old February 6, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1784
Seedtick

Quote:
Originally posted by atlasman:
Quote:
Originally posted by oldreloader:
VERY nice atlasman. You have lots of great gear but your bench will SOON be too small. This hobby grows on you real quick..LOL.
I think that is a problem he has had to deal with before, things being to small for him.

Judging from the angle of the camera's viewpoint
I would guess that atlasman is about 15 or 16 feet tall.

Wow, now I get the username...

atlasman

You're a superhero! A Real Superhero!

Oh, jeez, I hope I didn't blow your cover.

Seedtick

Welcome to THR atlasman. You just make yourself at home.

Old February 7, 2011, 12:22 AM   #1785
hey_poolboy

Mine is built atop of a masonry wall. The surface is a regular piece of counter top with plywood glued and screwed to the bottom, and a 2x6 frame underneath for added height. The bench height is 42".

Old February 7, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1786
Ronno

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasman View Post

Looks good I too have a bunch of "Red" on my reloading benches... Got to love it!
Old February 7, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1787
aloharover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt
Crewdog10, been using T-track style mounts for some time and it works very well. Instead of woodworking T-track I went with an extrusion rail that goes by the trade name 80-20 ( http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp ) It's offered in different configurations and shapes, with many available accessories. You can get it through MSC or any number of outlets. I used 2"W X 1" thick, about 36" long. With the help of a router its recessed into the bench top. Price is reasonable....less than $50.

Mounting plates can be made from a number of different materials...wood, aluminum, steel, or plastic. I found high density plastics (PVC) work well, light weight, available in any thickness, easy to cut & drill, doesn't rust, and won't scratch bench surface. Can be found by googling the net or check the phone book under plastics.

1/2" thick plates worked well, gives you enough material to use a counter bore or counter sink.

I liked the versatility it offered....for reloaders, vises, cleaning station and more.
This is awesome.
My only questions are:
How much stuff (primer, powder,etc) do you spill down into the tracks?

What size T nuts are you using? The inside of the track looks triangular, all of my t-nuts are squared.

Oh and I am looking on MSC's site and do not see the stuff. tried searching for t-slot and 80/20
Colorado Springs, CO based NFA Manufacturer and Dealer current FFL-07 & SOT

Last edited by aloharover; February 7, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1788
Rembrandt

Try looking under this link..... http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp

Occasionally something might drop in the slot, easy to blow it out or vacuum.....not a problem. T-nuts are 1/4"-20 thread .
Old February 11, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1789
bloominonion

My setup with everything crammed into the corner.

Old February 11, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1790
Rodentman

Mine is constantly growing. Well not the bench but the stuff on it...and above it.

Member NRA
Old February 13, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1791
gilgomesjr

Talking A work in progress...

I started reloading a few months ago, and I'm pretty much out of room. This is just a makeshift reloading bench with plans for a total do-over in the spring. I'm having a bulkhead installed for better access to the basement and this whole shebang is right in the way...

Here's the reloading bench itself. It keps growing... and growing...

This is my firearm cleaning/work area...

I've placed a PC on top of the safe, out of the way and have the monitor rigged through a device that allows connection through CAT5 UTP cable. The mouse and KB are wireless.

I geek for food, so I NEED a computer handy when I'm researching a problem or inventorying brass, or...

Last edited by gilgomesjr; February 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 13, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1792
Siggie

A picture of my reloading bench. Powders and other stuff is stored separately due to legal requirements over here. And Ik like my workspace clean :-).

At the Rockchucker in the back is here the science takes place for accuracy loads.
The 650 is doing what its designed for.. Bulk 9x19mm and bulk .223REM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (195.7 KB, 143 views)
Old February 14, 2011, 03:30 AM   #1793
northernlights78

I Finished My Bench!

I started reloading about 3 months ago. I had a lot of brass, bullets and powder, but no presses or anything else. My neighbor who taught me reloading, let me reload on his bench till i got my press. Recently, i did some work for an old timer, reloading, retired sheriff. We got to talkin and he used to shoot competitvely for his department, and did all his own reloads. He was done with it all and hadnt used it since the early 90's, so i talked him into selling it to me. $120 dollars later, i had an RCBS Jr 2 press, several sets of dyes, 1000 more rounds, about 9 pounds of assorted powders, and some books. Needless to say, i was frickin stoked!

After talkin the little lady into lettin me build a bench, where i can sit for hours doing something that should be on the list of things that every man should know how to do...start a fire, fish, change a tire, etc. I built this....

Ahh, my own piece of paradise

I couldnt get into the wall from above, so i had to run electrical through the cabinet and then into the wall for the under-cabinet lighting and the plug for the tumbler.

Test fit. I had to remove faces at the top of the counter due to some misguided McGuyverisms that ended in less than acceptable quality.

I recently did a kitchen demolition, and found that some of the cabinet shelves were solid oak painted white. I brought em home and ran them through the planer, cut them to size, and screwed them down to the counter top

Sanded and ready for stain

Stain is Red Mahogany on white oak

Staining is finished. I also got some marble from the same job and put it up the side of the adjoining cabinet.

Little bit of touch-up paint on the wall and were done...Am i the only one who uses pie pans for my reloading needs? They easily hold 100 pieces of brass

I made the drawer into a small workspace...

With storage underneath...

Got a couple of retro reloading books from the guy i bought my press from...
The illustration on the cover of the Speer book looks like its from the era of- "if a nuke goes off, hide under your desk" lol

This Hodgdens book has a price tag of a dollar on it, and it was purchased from the RCBS factory, which is about 45 min. from my house.

Hope you enjoyed my post...Jake
Old February 14, 2011, 08:29 AM   #1794
LAH

I for one enjoyed it all Jake.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:31 AM   #1795
Winchester 70

Jake,

Outstanding job! I like that a lot!

John
Old February 15, 2011, 07:37 AM   #1796
Bprisk

My Mancave!!!

Just moved from the cold Garage to the basement!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3200.JPG (136.7 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3197.JPG (133.8 KB, 282 views)
Old February 15, 2011, 08:58 AM   #1797
LAH

Bprisk..........You got some nice stuff.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1798
altitude_19

Bprisk: What's that on the bench...anti-depressants? lol But seriously, I like your style....all the RCBS and Co-ax(?) equipment tells me you have a taste for over-engineered equipment.
Old February 15, 2011, 10:08 AM   #1799
LAH

Quote:
Bprisk: What's that on the bench...anti-depressants? lol
Maybe his head hurts from trying to adjust that Star. HEE HEE
Old February 15, 2011, 08:11 PM   #1800
GLShooter

This is my little area that I try to spend an occasional minute or two in daily. It is barely adequate to meet my shooting demands at times but I think I finally got a handle on the basics required to feed the herd.

Greg