Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 91 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 28, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2251
GLShooter

I use the adapter on both of mine. I will prime on the press part of the time but if I am doing new load work ups I will usually do a hand prime. Also if I am loading a large number of something like my 20 Tactical I cheat and prime them uber-quick on my Dillon 650 in batches so they will be primed and ready to go.

I don't mind using the resident seater as it does a god job. One of mine has the small primer cup and the other has the large set up so I don't have to swap it out. I am VERY lazy!!

Greg
Old September 28, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2252
spcrobbins

So, did you have to purchase that primer deal too with the adapters? If mine doesn't have the primer swing arm, can I still use the primer feature? I am not familiar with it at all. This will be my first reloader.
Old September 28, 2011, 01:40 PM   #2253
GLShooter

The swinger deal holds a tube for handling about 100 primers, maybe a few less IIRC, but and I bought one with my first AA in 1977 but never liked it. The primer cup/post is resident to the machine and that was what the swing arm dropped the primers in. I just pick up the primers one at a time and pop them in the cup just like you do with any old single stage press on the market without a primer feed. I have never had an issue in handling the primers and unlike what the "experts' have told us for years the little lube you may have on your fingers is not going to kill them!! LOL

You will have no problem doing a onesey placement of the primers.

Greg
Old September 28, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2254
spcrobbins

But, do I have to buy the special T shell holder adapter priming punch to do it?
Old September 28, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2255
GLShooter

Since you are doing a retrofit that is correct. I forgot that mine came with them. My apologies on "my senior moment"

Nice that Midway has them availble.

Greg
Old September 28, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2256
spcrobbins

GLShooter,

Do you know of a "Youtube" type video that shows the process on an AA?
Old September 28, 2011, 08:04 PM   #2257
GLShooter

If you mean on how to utilize the AA press itself I have never seen a you Tube deal on it. The process of using the AA is straight forward. It is really a four hole single stage press.

Hole #1 you deprime/size the case and then place a primer in the holder and re-prime the case. Reach up and flip the turret to Hole #2 and bell the case, you may have it set up with an auto powder measure like the Lee or a Dillon and it will powder at that point. Flip the turret to Hole #3 and seat a bullet if you are powdered up or charge the case. Flip the turret and if you have a bullet in place you can either crimp it if you didn't do that before or seat/crimp at this point.

The beauty of the AA Turret is that you never take the case out of the holder. Instead of moving the shell plate ala Dillon 550 you move the turret head. Some guys stroke out over having the measure on the turret because of powder packing but I loaded literally thousands and thousands of rounds with a Uniflo mounted on mine. Enough rounds that the Uniflo handle has beat a dent in the turret head!! I won ton of Gold with that press and never had an issue. The powder packed down to an extent and once you had flipped the turret through several cycles it would dispense consistently.

Ask anything you want and I'll try and clarify for you.

Greg
Old September 29, 2011, 10:07 AM   #2258
spcrobbins

Thanks, that's helps a bunch.
Old September 29, 2011, 10:30 AM   #2259
drfroglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyz53 View Post
Hi Y'all. I need some feedback on my reload benches.
That bench looks great! I would recommend putting some more reinforcements on the lip where the bench will attach. Also, I put various holes in my bench such that I can mount my press to a block of wood and move it around the bench. Many people have used this approach because then you bench can become a flat bench in a matter of seconds... I've posted my bench somewhere on here, but I took the idea from somewhere else....
Old September 29, 2011, 11:02 AM   #2260
OldmanFCSA

This reccommendation is for those of you who load larger rifle calibers which require substantial resizing force, and possibly for those with weak table tops, mount a 1/4" X 1" steel strap from top of press back and down to table top at about a 30 degree angle, or up to the bottom of a strurdy shelf, or back to the wall.
This will immensely strengthen the mount of the press and reduce the flex in the frame of the press. Presses with 3 rod type columns typically are the ones that need it the most.

I reload the 50BMG which sometimes requires major force for resizing, dependent on source of brass. I use the RCBS AmmoMaster II press which is quite tall and prone to flexing the bench while resizing. Adding the simple steel strap to the top of the press, ELIMINATED the flex in the mount and the benchtop, thus reducing the flex in the press which creates better alignment of ram to reloading die, and a more accurate reload.

The attached picture shows the AmmoMaster press in my reloading trailer. It is mounted to a top 2.25" thick made up of 3x 3/4" boards with a 3/8"X4"X36" aluminum plate underneath for presses to mount thru. Looking carefully at the back top of press you can see strap mounted under head back and up to shelf above, which has also been re-enforced to distribute the load. By mounting under the head, it eliminated any inteferences with die and die locking ring. I used a 8mm bolt - truth is my 5/16" drill hole was slightly oversize because I drilled by hand drill, so I used the 8mm bolt which is 0.315" diameter to keep things very tight with no slop in assembly. Strap is hard to see in picture.

"We all have bad days, some are worse than others!"
Old September 29, 2011, 11:09 AM   #2261
OldmanFCSA

Some reloaders in the FCSA that use LEE presses, and 1 RCBS press, have actually broken their presses from the twisting that occurs during resizing. Some of this is due to improper lubricant on cases, and technique used to resize. But the addition of this strap to the press solves other benchtop mounting problems as well.

If you have a problem with flex, and your reloading press is mounted dedicated to one position on your benchtop. give this a thought.

The End.
Old September 30, 2011, 06:37 PM   #2262
ferggie

the man cave

My new setup.

Last edited by ferggie; March 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 30, 2011, 06:49 PM   #2263
GLShooter

That is a very nice looking area. Lots of light and visibility for your components. Heck, even the trash can is clean!!

Greg
Old September 30, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2264
BYJO4

Nice looking bench and work area.
Old October 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2265
nickE10mm

Updated pics...

Old October 2, 2011, 06:27 PM   #2266
austeph

getting there

wish I had the Room some of you have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-02_16-59-42_365.jpg (250.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-02_17-00-09_941.jpg (241.0 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-02_17-01-40_231.jpg (245.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-10-01_09-54-03_859(1).jpg (245.8 KB, 166 views)
Old October 3, 2011, 04:09 AM   #2267
DeadHorrorFan

I can't believe I just read all 91 pages in one sitting........
Old October 3, 2011, 08:13 AM   #2268
OldmanFCSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadHorrorFan View Post
I can't believe I just read all 91 pages in one sitting........
Did you learn anything ... or become brain dead from overload?
Old October 3, 2011, 09:01 AM   #2269
flashhole

Lots of good ideas shown in the pics, I review them from time to time if I'm thinking about someting new to add to the bench.
Old October 3, 2011, 09:29 AM   #2270
ADKWOODSMAN

austeph--great organization! Some day I'll get there. Thanks for the idea.
Old October 3, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2271
austeph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKWOODSMAN View Post
austeph--great organization! Some day I'll get there. Thanks for the idea.
yea which idea would that be got another one ill post tonight to hold the dillon tool heads
Old October 3, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2272
ryan500

My humble little bench under the stairs....

To the left is the storage so it needs to fold out of the way....

Only four years till the oldest moves out, then it'll be a little bigger lol.
Old October 4, 2011, 04:10 AM   #2273
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by austeph View Post
wish I had the Room some of you have
austeph,

Can you post information regarding the riser you've got the LnL sitting on? I'd like to get mine a little higher, because I also have my 550B on a strong mount on my bench, and I like that height better.

Nice setup, by the way!

Thanks. Here's my setup:

Old October 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2274
austeph

It is really nothing special i welded a 2x2 square tube to 6in base and 4in flat plate off set the top plate for better movement it works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
austeph,

Can you post information regarding the riser you've got the LnL sitting on? I'd like to get mine a little higher, because I also have my 550B on a strong mount on my bench, and I like that height better.

Nice setup, by the way!

Thanks. Here's my setup:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-10-04_20-18-50_716.jpg (236.4 KB, 150 views)
Old October 5, 2011, 12:34 AM   #2275
Beanie-Bean

austeph,

Thank you for the information--I'm going to try to find a metal shop here in Austin to see if they can do something similar for me. Appreciate the side view pic--that makes it more clear to understand how the press sits.