Quantcast
Show us a picture of your reloading bench - Page 93 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 27, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2301
16in50calNavalRifle

Black Talon, here is the workbench page on the website for the manufacturer (Penco):

http://www.pencoproducts.com/index.a...&pid=18#target

Note: I bought this used, off of Craigslist, for a very good price. "Used" in this case meant a few marks and scratches on top of the butcher block surface (as in, nothing important - will refinish it in a few years and it will look new). So my price was a big discount - I think it was $300, delivered and assembled.

I highly recommend this bench - sturdy, the power strip is great, the little shelf in the back is perfect. I also recommend the swivel/magnification lamp I got:

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluores...amp-66384.html

It's that rarest of things - an item that is exactly what I wanted. It provides great light of course, but it's perfect for reloading - I keep it just overhead near my press, which helps me do my QA powder check (Lee 4-hole turret, so you get both some efficiency and very high quality assurance by seeing each round as it goes through the various steps), and when I want to check a loaded round more closely to check for defects, I just pull down the lamp, flip up the cover, and peer through the magnifying lens for a closer look.

Depending on your workbench needs/uses, the bench could well be worth it at full price - it is very good and will never need to be replaced. My good fortune on Craigslist is just consistent with my luck buying most of my reloading equipment through CalGuns - altogether I have spent about 60% of new prices for a complete, 4-caliber set-up with gear that is either actually or close to new.
Old November 3, 2011, 01:18 PM   #2302
Nutbustd

This is my son's and I reloding area. We really enjoy this hobby. After a good round of reloading we like to go shooting. My son really likes using the RCBS progressive while I like to reload "old school" one at a time. We reload almost all the handgun rounds espicially .44mag, .357, .40, .45, 9mm. Rifle we load .223, 30-30, 30-06 .308. Reloading really helps keep costs way down but then you like to shoot more!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holloween reload bench 012.jpg (110.0 KB, 499 views)
Old November 3, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2303
PVD

I borrowed this design for a portable workbench and adapted it to fit a small, rolling SS table that I have been using as my hamshack repair bench. If I need to do some work on an ailing radio I can simply unclamp the reloading bench from the cart and set it aside.

http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/am...ree-plans.html

I started out reloading for my M1911A1 Colt that I inherited from my Dad . I've since added dies for 30-06 and a recently acquired Remington 722 .222 to the collection. Reloading dovetails nicely with my amateur radio hobby. I can listen along to a radio net or to my friends chatting on 75 meters while I resize and deprime for a couple hours.

I really appreciate all the helpful ideas and info posted here. Thanks!

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reloading-bench.jpg (93.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg Reloading Bench 003 copy.jpg (140.3 KB, 435 views)

Last edited by PVD; November 3, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: photo doesn't show
Old November 3, 2011, 09:54 PM   #2304

I'm in the process of buying a house in Arkansas so will need to sort out a new reloading area. The house I'm buying has a very large unfinished room above a double car garage with direct access from the main house without going outside (good when it's nasty out). The room has a large window at one end with two dormers on one side of the pitched roof. I'll be moving the workbench shown on page 87 to the new house and will probably add another bench with a bunch of shelves. I'm not sure how I'll set it up yet because I'd like to find a way to end up with a reloading room and a fourth bedroom. It should be a fun project though since I'll be starting with a clean slate.

Here's a photo (taken by current owner) of part of the space above the garage.

Old November 3, 2011, 10:31 PM   #2305
oldreloader

what part of AR are ya heading to
Old November 3, 2011, 10:48 PM   #2306

About 20 miles North East of Little Rock.

Last edited by 1858; November 3, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:30 PM   #2307
oldreloader

dang thought I might be getting a new neighbor
Old November 9, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2308
Crewdog10

NRMA Reloading Bench, modified

I looked at several ideas and versions of different benches as folks have presented here. In the end, I used the free NRMA reloading bench plans as my bench choice. I used Oak ply for the "shelving" areas of the bench and made a two layer top. The bottom layer is just a solid sheet of oak ply. I then cut strips with 30 degree bevels on them, screwed these down, and put filler pieces in, except the three removable pieces on the front. I cut several "insert" pieces to fit into these three slots. My loading components are permanently mounted to these pieces and can be moved to or from any of the three slots, as they're all the same size. At the rear of the removable pieces I drilled a hole to fit a 1/4 x 20 tapered headed screw that threads through them in into a thread insert in the lower plywood layer of the bench top. This allows me to secure the inserts in place with the screw, but yet I can remove them to move them to a different position if I choose. As well I have enough blanks I can inserts to make a smooth/solid bench top if I choose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.jpg (59.7 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (112.7 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0111.jpg (68.8 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0118.jpg (94.1 KB, 482 views)
Old November 9, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2309
Arkansas Paul

That would put you somewhere in the Jacksonville area if I'm thinking correctly 1858.
Don't know if you've looked up any gun stores there yet or not, but Fort Thompsons is in North Little Rock near Sherwood right on 67/167. Shouldn't be too far from you.
Also Don's Weaponry is on Broadway in Little Rock. They're more expensive than Ft Thompsons, but they're cool guys to hang out and talk to. I buy powder and primers from them just to go in a shoot the bull.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2310
dalepres

Crewdog10, I just downloaded those plans. They definitely seem usable to me. I may build a couple of them, one for cleaning and one for reloading.

Interesting thing, though, I tried to go to reload-nrma.com and the site doesn't exist any more. It's just going to one of those fake search places.

Quote:
I think all rational people agree that there needs to be SOME control of firearms to limit what a criminal can legally use.
Old November 9, 2011, 10:30 PM   #2311
nojoke

Crew,
I've seen operating rooms taht weren't that clean....

Very nice!
Old November 9, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2312
Crewdog10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
Crew,
I've seen operating rooms taht weren't that clean....

Very nice!
Thanks nojoke. The pics were taken when I'd just completed the bench. Today a few months later, there's a bit more clutter on the top and several more rounds of bullets below. I do try to keep it cleaned up though. To date my setup hasn't failed me and I've not found any short comings of the benches design nor my modifications.
Old November 9, 2011, 11:25 PM   #2313
Crewdog10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepres View Post
Crewdog10, I just downloaded those plans. They definitely seem usable to me. I may build a couple of them, one for cleaning and one for reloading.

Interesting thing, though, I tried to go to reload-nrma.com and the site doesn't exist any more. It's just going to one of those fake search places.
I'm not sure about two benches? I've found, thus far anyway, that this one does the trick. I tumble cases on the floor beside the bench. As for cleaning the weapons, I do that on top of the bench. I view it as an all around bench. Also that I can only do one operation at a time, so just use this one bench to do both. I hadn't paid much attention to the website for the plans. I think it was almost a year ago that I downloaded and saved the plans to my computer.
Old November 10, 2011, 01:56 AM   #2314
LouisianaJoe

I like the way the inserts work. I may use this approach to mount power tools such as a belt sander or a scroll saw that I only use occasionally. I can make the inserts wider to accommodate the power tools and I could use more screws to secure the inserts to my bench where more torque is involved. An insert at each end of a tool such as a wood lathe could also be used. Tools can be put on a lower shelf when not needed to create a larger work surface by having bare inserts available to fill the empty spots.

I realize that this post is a bit off subject, but I think many of us do more than just reload.
Old November 11, 2011, 02:05 PM   #2315
A Pause for the Coz

Well I did a a liitle bit more upgrading. As always a work in progress. I went to an auction at a Municipal Liquor store that was closed. They had walls and walls full of shelving in the basement. I purchased one walls worth for $10. Here is where I put some of it.

Old November 17, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2316
D94R

My work in progress. I've still to move a bench to along the left side.

Old November 19, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2317
smokey1

Recently finished dedicated reloading bench/area along the back wall w/raised concrete floor space. As needed, can lower the bench top and free up floor space for other projects. The bench top locks up solid and excellent for reloading work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folding table.jpg (168.7 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg Reloading Bench.jpg (220.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Reloading Supplies-Tools.jpg (117.7 KB, 198 views)
Old November 19, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2318
Runninshu

Working on it.

Just got the presses mounted up.012.jpg
Old November 19, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2319
smokey1

Nice reloading stands. Did you have those made or off the shelf items? Very nice!
Old November 20, 2011, 01:32 AM   #2320
Maverick223

Welcome to THR, smokey1! Looks like you have a nice start using an innovative design.

Old November 20, 2011, 08:33 AM   #2321
flashhole

I like those press stands too. Very nice.
Old November 20, 2011, 08:51 AM   #2322
Runninshu

Thank you, I welded the stands at home. The steel is courtesy of the local heavy duty fabrication shop scrap bin, too small for their use. Total investment was a can of Krylon, some nuts and bolts, and a few hours in the shop.
Old November 20, 2011, 09:12 PM   #2323
ole farmerbuck
Contributing Member

Just getting this started in our new home. The reloading room is 725 sq feet with central heat and air plus its part of the garage so it has heated floor.This bench will be 24' long.The other wall is 12' and I dont know what i'll do with the rest of the walls!
Old November 20, 2011, 10:38 PM   #2324
Trent
Contributing Member

24 foot reloading bench? Damn there'd be room for all my gear AND my wife to lay down. Hmm... maybe time to remodel.
Old November 23, 2011, 09:06 AM   #2325
Kevin Rohrer

Runninshu: those stands are very impressive. I wish they were commercially available.