Quantcast
Anti-gun Missouri Dem. arrested with 9mm pistol, refuses breathalyzer test - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 22, 2014, 04:30 AM   #1
sporty66

Anti-gun Missouri Dem. arrested with 9mm pistol, refuses breathalyzer test

Sorry to the moderators if I put this in the wrong section if it is please place it where it should be. I haven't seen much about this so I just wanted to share this with all of you.

Missouri state senator Jamilah Nasheed is out of jail after being arrested during protests in Ferguson Monday night. When she was taken into custody, police say they smelled alcohol on her breath and found a loaded gun in her possession.During a search incidental to the arrest, the senator had in her possession one fully loaded 9 mm semi automatic pistol and eight rounds of 9mm ammunition,” said Ferguson Police. Police say Nasheed did not have a conceal carry permit for the weapon when she was taken into custody. Nasheed explained, it’s not unusual for me to have my gun on me. I have it with me every single day. It’s like putting on my shoes. ”One bill she pushed,would have required the “parent or guardian of a child who attends a public, private, or charter school shall notify, in writing, the superintendent of the school district, or the governing body of a private school or charter school, that such parent or guardian owns a firearm within thirty calendar days” of enrollment.
Old October 22, 2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Walkalong

It's not unusual for a politician to hold one view for us and another for themselves, but it is just news, and we don't do the news, even if a gun is involved.

We do have an activism section if you have a specific plan of attack against this type of legislation.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:10 PM   #3
Walkalong

I stand corrected. Re-opened.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:33 PM   #4
bangswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty66 View Post

Missouri state senator Jamilah Nasheed is out of jail after being arrested during protests in Ferguson Monday night. When she was taken into custody, police say they smelled alcohol on her breath and found a loaded gun in her possession.During a search incidental to the arrest, the senator had in her possession one fully loaded 9 mm semi automatic pistol and eight rounds of 9mm ammunition,” said Ferguson Police. Police say Nasheed did not have a conceal carry permit for the weapon when she was taken into custody.
She sounds like the very embodiment of what makes a person anti-gun. Drinking while illegally carrying concealed.........and then being a proponent of the type of gun control legislation she's pushing. What a double standard.
Old October 22, 2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkalong View Post
It's not unusual for a politician to hold one view for us and another for themselves.....
And that's the long and the short of it.

Her opinion is worthless and her attempt at making laws that fail are also worthless.

The possibility of selective enforcement due to her .gov position is the real problem.

We will see how it plays out.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM   #6
wojownik

This particular politician (Nasheed) is a real piece of work. She was a member of a gang as a youngster (the "Switchblade Sistas"), and apparently has regular dust ups with her colleagues in the MO legislature.

Last year (while she was in the House), she voted against a HB 436, and then SB 613 when she arrived in the Senate. Just last month, she voted against SB 656 to authorize school employees to carry on school property. This month, she's carrying while reportedly smelling like booze at a protest. Total hypocrite.

What's really ironic is that - in 2011 - she co-sponsored a bill that "Specifies a $2500 fine for each offense and a disqualification for holding public office for any state official who interferes with a municipal police department." As a state official, did she not then interfere with a municipal PD in her little act of civil disobedience?
Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM   #7
HB

She said she had a ccw. She also declined a breathalyzer. While I don't support her politics and her attempt at making a statement she didn't violate the law aside from obstructing traffic.

Most politicians are hypocrites and she is no different. Things are strange down here right but could be worse.

There is an open carry rally scheduled downtown this weekend to raise awareness for out recently lifted municipal bans on OC. If you are in the area please support our efforts to bring missouri back to the state it should be.

HB
Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM   #8
Davek1977

Quote:
She said she had a ccw. She also declined a breathalyzer. While I don't support her politics and her attempt at making a statement she didn't violate the law aside from obstructing traffic.

At this point, a better answer would have been " If its proven she has a permit and was not carrying intoxicated, she hasn't committed a crime beyond obstructing traffic" All relavant facts are not yet known in this case. She REFUSED the Breathalyzer. That DOES NOT mean she WAS NOT intoxicated and carrying a concealed weapon, which is a crime in and of itself in most jurisdictions. It is QUITE possible there were additional crimes committed aside from obstructing traffic. I cannot seem to determine whether a blood draw was done to confirm her level of intoxication, but it seems presumptuous that simply refusing a test deems one not intoxicated in and of itself. Too, I have yet to se anything that offically confirms that she has a valid carry permit. You are basing your answer on her statement and her refusal to take a breath test, and not necessarily with all the facts that could come into play. How many people take a criminal's word as gospel, yet that appears to be what you have done considering the validity or even existence of her permit. She may very well have one, indeed, but its going to take more than her statement stating as much for me to believe it completely

Last edited by Davek1977; Yesterday at 06:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #9
steelerdude99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty66 View Post
...When she was taken into custody, police say they smelled alcohol on her breath and found a loaded gun in her possession. During a search incidental to the arrest, the senator had in her possession one fully loaded 9 mm semi automatic pistol and eight rounds of 9mm ammunition,” said Ferguson Police. Police say Nasheed did not have a conceal carry permit for the weapon when she was taken into custody. Nasheed explained, it’s not unusual for me to have my gun on me. I have it with me every single day. It’s like putting on my shoes. ...
There is just so much wrong here. As it's a state office, I hope she has difficulty avoiding the fallout. The real issue is if she has an issued permit (in other articles her lawyer claims she does) or if she doesn't. If she does have an "issued permit", I hope that her actions get it revoked. If I refuse breathalyzer test for driving, I can pretty much bet my license would be revoked regardless of a subsequent guilty or not guilty verdict in court. If no permit issued, she would be in even more hot water. Maybe even, hopefully, MO Senate censure?

But what strikes me a being typical of what a permit holder would say as to their firearm availability: "I have it with me every single day". All the while working behind the scenes on some of the worst of the worst gun-control agenda. Registering gun-owner parents with the school districts?

chuck
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #10
dprice3844444

there are numerous stories about the incident,but very few mentioning gun possession at time of arrest
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...homerun_portal

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local...uson/17651951/

Nasheed arrested for walking in roadway

Police have released details about State Senator Jamilah Nasheed's arrest Monday night in Ferguson. KSDK

Br
FERGUSON, Mo. – Police have released details about State Senator Jamilah Nasheed's arrest Monday night in Ferguson.

Sgt. Brian Schellman with the St. Louis County Police Department says around 7 p.m. Ferguson police asked county officers to help them enforce an ordinance prohibiting people from standing in the street. Commanders with county police spoke with protesters about the ordinance and warned them anyone in violation would be arrested.

Schellman says protesters said they understood the ordinance and would comply.

About an hour and a half later Schellman says two people, later identified as Nasheed and Jefonte Nelson, were seen walking and standing in the street in front of the Ferguson Police Department. Schellman says officers approached Nasheed and Nelson and told them several times to get out of the street or they would be arrested.

Schellman says Nasheed and Nelson failed to move to the sidewalk and were arrested for walking in a roadway where sidewalks are accessible.

Nasheed was taken to the St. Ann Police Department and released from jail shortly before 11 a.m. NewsChannel 5's Stephanie Diffin says Nasheed called her arrest "symbolic" and denies it was a publicity stunt.

NewsChannel 5's Farrah Fazal spoke with Nasheed following her release from jail. Nasheed says she has a valid conceal carry permit and did have a gun on her at the time of her arrest. She says the gun was confiscated by Ferguson police and has not yet been returned. She also discounted other media reports indicated she was intoxicated. Nasheed said she was not drunk and was not asked to take a breathalyzer test.

Last edited by dprice3844444; Yesterday at 08:48 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #11
Deanimator

The name "Carl Rowan" comes to mind...
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #12
CatManDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davek1977 View Post
At this point, a better answer would have been " If its proven she has a permit and was not carrying intoxicated, she hasn't committed a crime beyond obstructing traffic" All relavant facts are not yet known in this case. She REFUSED the Breathalyzer. That DOES NOT mean she WAS NOT intoxicated and carrying a concealed weapon, which is a crime in and of itself in most jurisdictions. It is QUITE possible there were additional crimes committed aside from obstructing traffic. I cannot seem to determine whether a blood draw was done to confirm her level of intoxication, but it seems presumptuous that simply refusing a test deems one not intoxicated in and of itself. Too, I have yet to se anything that offically confirms that she has a valid carry permit. You are basing your answer on her statement and her refusal to take a breath test, and not necessarily with all the facts that could come into play. How many people take a criminal's word as gospel, yet that appears to be what you have done considering the validity or even existence of her permit. She may very well have one, indeed, but its going to take more than her statement stating as much for me to believe it completely
It's not a matter of if her did or didn't violate any law by carrying a concealed weapon, it's a matter of her hypocrisy concerning firearms and her attempts to RESTRICT gun possession in general.
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #13
Davek1977

I'm CERTAINLY not arguing that she acted properly for someone in her position. Nothing could be further from my belief.
Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #14
stchman

I do not have a problem with Senator Nasheed protesting, carrying a concealed weapon, or that she refused a breathalyzer.

She was within her rights to protest and carry a concealed weapon (everything I've read is that she has a valid Missouri CCW). I don't believe there are any laws refusing a breathalyzer unless it's pertaining to operating an automobile.

What my problem is with her is that she does not practice what she preaches. She is just a typical hypocritical politician that is of the mindset do as I say, not as I do.
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #15
WestKentucky

I have refused breathalyzer a few times on principle. That act in and of itself is neither an admission or denial of guilt, but rather a statement to the LEO that they need to establish cause and quit being a jerk. The handgun in the purse is the issue, was she or was she not carrying legally? If not then she needs the same treatment a homeless guy with the same charge would get.