Quantcast
Gun Rights in Low Income Urban Neighborhoods - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Today, 09:38 AM   #1
Cooldill

Gun Rights in Low Income Urban Neighborhoods

Hello everyone. I just ran across a very interesting article on Vice. It describes the program "Black Guns Matter" and talks about it's founder, Maj Toure.

http://www.vice.com/read/urban-gun-v...dment-activist

I personal think this is a very great program. Face it: the hood has plenty of guns. Am I saying that's a good or bad thing? No I'm not. I'm saying that there are plenty of young people in those areas that probably aren't getting the required safety training and information about the weapons on the street that they see and possibly handle daily. Let's not sugar coat that. Having a program like this that teaches people not only about proper firearms safety but also 2nd amendment rights from early on in these areas can only be a good thing. This way the guns out there will be treated with greater respect and (hopefully) only in legitimate self defense. That's what this is all about. It seems like a much more effective way to reach people in these areas than Hunter Safety courses or NRA cartoon pamphlets

This man is doing great work. What do you think about this program?
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #2
RavenTai

Self defence is a natural right, the tools to defend yourself come with it.

Inner city residents in poor neighborhoods need that more than just about any other demographic, unfortunately law abiding citizens in the neighborhoods are the most disarmed, giving gangs and thugs unlimited power.

Anything that promotes safety training and arming law abiding Americans is a good thing in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #3
Grumulkin

The way I see it, the major problems:

1. The multitudes bereft of common sense who despite all the talk they can't have failed to hear don't understand that they will never get guns and other weapons out of the hands of criminals and that the criminals at times have been the governments that are supposed to protect them.

2. The multitudes that don't understand that deterioriation of integrity and morals is the problem behind the violence of all kinds.

So, what Maj Toure is doing is good as far as it goes but doesn't get to the root of the problem.

Interestingly, no one wants their own bull gored. They have learned in Colorado that a periphery of crime has come up around dispensaries of recreational marijuana but they won't do anything about it and other states follow in their footsteps. Videos/movies are considered great educational tools and yet it's ignored by most that education in violence is encouraged by the trash out of Hollywood. What ought to happen is to have the trash made illegal, make marijuana illegal again everywhere and bring back prohibition but, I know, no one wants their own bull gored.

I lived in Mexico back in the 1960s and 1970s. Even with supposedly respectable people, bribes, thefts, cheating, etc. was extremely common. When you have a populace that in general excuses those things in themselves, the result is a deterioration of the moral standing of the population. Yes, it saddens me that the drug cartels have made Mexico an increasingly dangerous place to be but it's something they brought on themselves and we by the same stupidity are going in the same direction.

By the way, firearm ownership in Mexico by and large is illegal and yet about anyone who wants one has one. Mexico also has no death penalty.
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #4
Acera

The left has no interest in empowering any of it's subjects in the inner-cities.

It has worked hard for decades to keep them inline, under the direction (read ==> enslavement if you like) of 'community leaders' and voting as a unified block, can't change your tune now. Gun control legislation has had a not so secret bias toward the minority community since the 60's. If they looked at gun laws the same way they look at voting and immigration laws, most would have been repealed by now.

The idea is a solid one, but you will find an established bias against it.

Remember, it is about control.

Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Old Today, 10:53 AM   #5
grampajack

Quote:
Black Guns Matter is about training. We've been going for a year, but because of incidents with law enforcement over the last six months, it's picked up a lot of steam. We're getting much more attention. The ratcheting up is both good and bad. It's bad because it's due to murders. It's good because it means more information is getting into the hood.
Sounds to me like they're training to "defend" themselves against police. I don't see how this is any different than the standard black lives matter nonsense. For all intents and purposes, it sounds like this guy is essentially the training division for his local BLM movement.

Unspeakable numbers of black on black gangland murders, often with innocents being targeted, and they're only concern is with cops. Shameful. Just shameful.
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #6
azrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumulkin View Post
So, what Maj Toure is doing is good as far as it goes but doesn't get to the root of the problem.
Better let Maj know he's responsible for solving all the problems of black Americans instead of just doing his small part. He probably didn't get the memo.

Personally, I feel what he's doing is great, and no doubt his work will inspire others. The lessons he's teaching go far beyond firearms... independence, self-sufficiency, pride in accomplishment, concern for others... the fundamentals often lacking in poor inner city environments.

Just to put things in perspective here, slavery ended ~150 years ago. In the grand scheme of things, that isn't much time for an entire race of people to peacefully integrate after being shipped here in shackles. It always amazes me when people seem surprised that black communities have problems.

But alas, we can't undo slavery. So what can we do? Maybe give a guy like this well-deserved credit for making a change, even if it is a small one.
Old Today, 12:34 PM   #7
Carl N. Brown

The recent spurt in gun violence has been isolated to three large urban areas; the rest of the country continues to enjoy the historic 20 year decline. The irony is the large urban areas have the local option gun restrictions the anti-gunners want to make nationwide.

Quote:
Gun control legislation has had a not so secret bias toward the minority community since the 60's.
Back that up to at least the 1890s: Watson v. Stone, 148 Fla. 516, 524, 4 So.2d 700, 703 (1941)
Justice Buford of the Florida Supreme Court noted in his concurring opinion narrowly construing a Florida gun control statute:
Quote:
I know something of the history of this legislation. The original Act of 1893 was passed when there was a great influx of negro laborers in the State drawn here for the purpose of working in turpentine and lumber camps. The same condition existed when the Act was amended in 1901 and the Act was passed for the purpose of disarming the negro laborers .... The statute was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied .... there has never been, within my knowledge, any effort to enforce the provisions of this statute as to white people because it has generally conceded to be in contravention of the Constitution and nonenforceable if contested.
Although the language of the Florida law appeared race-neutral, the intent and enforcement was race-biased. The target population (migrant workers) did not have the legal standing to challenge the law in a Florida court.
Old Today, 01:38 PM   #8
yokel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumulkin View Post
The multitudes that don't understand that deterioriation of integrity and morals is the problem behind the violence of all kinds.
The most telling indication of the elitist Left's determination to degrade and destroy self-government in the United States is the fact that in this regard, they seek by all means to enervate, rather than strengthen, the moral fitness of the American people. In the formal institutions of learning and in the informal education derived from games, movies, television shows, and other entertainment media, elitist agents of corruption encourage people to believe that the essence of freedom is self-indulgence. They induce them to reject all discipline except the scourges of fear, sensual desire, greed, and the human will to power.

Ignorance and folly may lead susceptible people to accept the poisonous stew of lies that identifies this noxious view of freedom as "progressive." In effect, however, it is exactly the opposite. It aims to mute the twin voices of reason and conscience, thereby intentionally promoting human degeneracy. As these twin voices fall silent, people become less and less capable of standing apart from the compulsive stream of merely sensual perception and experience. Their inner life becomes a montage of preoccupying images and impressions, devoid of logic and the conceptual perceptions it makes possible. Eventually their consciousness becomes barely distinguishable from what appears to be the consciousness of beasts, deprived of all but the most rudimentary capacity for self-conscious thought or action.

It is both correct and inevitable to conclude that people in whom distinctly human consciousness is thus virtually extinguished cannot be trusted to make right use of liberty, or the arms required to defend it. It's imperative that we remember that they are the ones who have been and are most willing to be instruments of the elitist agenda that purposely and systematically seeks to degrade the moral intelligence and self-discipline of the American people.

For decades, they encouraged this degradation by promoting selfish gratification, self-indulgence, and even self-murder (for individuals, in the form of legal suicide; and for the species, in the form of abortion and gay marriage, the institutional equivalent of abortion). They looked forward to the time when, by exploiting the rotten fruits of this degeneracy, they could once and for all deprive people of the freedom that is their birthright when their human nature is preserved, as intended by their Creator.