Quantcast
Gun ads from 1961 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #1
Ryanxia

Gun ads from 1961

I know there have been threads in the past with old ads but I saw a few in this one that I hadn't seen before. Even some foreign ones. Pretty neat.

http://gunsleague.com/2016/07/23/tak...ays-18-photos/

The anti-tank guns would be a good addition to the collection these days..

www.odb.org
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM   #2
Acera

Cool Link.

Thanks,
Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #3
bannockburn

Ryanxia

Thanks for the ads! Quite a hoot back in the day! Wouldn't mind one of those Model 1917s for $29.95!
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #4
kozak6

Don't forget about about inflation. People weren't buying guns for pocket change. Minimum wage was $1.25 in 1961.

Run the prices through an inflation calculator. A $480 Johnson is an outrageous steal. An $80 Mosin is a great price now, but they were still well under $100 until the past few years.
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Fun. But before you get all thrilled over the prices, think what you (or your Dad) were making that year. I was just a student making $0.85 an hour sacking groceries, I think my Dad was drawing $4000-$5000 a year.
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM   #6
Carl N. Brown

Adjusting for inflation $29.95 cash in 1961 would have the value of $237 today; still, not a bad price for an M1917.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #7
jmr40

The median household income in 1961 was about $5,600. The most recent year I can find data on is 2014 when it was almost $54,000. We can buy a better gun today while paying a smaller percentage of our income for it than ever before.

I really enjoyed the link none the less. Thanks for posting.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM   #8
j1

Ryan thank you for your post. Very entertaining and informative.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #9
Carl N. Brown

To give some context for gun prices 1961 versus recent:

The 1961 minimum wage of $1.25 per hour inflates to $9.90 for 2016.

The 1961 median household income of $5,600 inflates to $44,363 for end date 2014 (so "almost $54,000" in 2014 is a gain in spendable income).
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #10
Swing

Super neat-o.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #11
dwjwin50

Probably still plenty of those anti-tank guns still around CA these days.
Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM   #12
Ryanxia

I have an inflation rate calculator on my phone and its come in handy more times than I thought it would. I originally downloaded it (free) to see what the $200 NFA tax stamp is adjusted for inflation ($3,488 in 2015 money).

That being said the prices back then adjusted for inflation were still pretty darn good.

www.odb.org
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM   #13
skimbell

This is the one that I always liked...

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM   #14
Piper106

I liked the ad for the 20mm Solothurn anti-tank gun.

As I recall the ad said; "No (special) license needed".

Fast forward to 2016. I assume that not only is the gun (canon?) a NFA 'destructive device', each round of ammo needs a $200 NFA tax stamp also.

If I am right about the change in legal status, was that due to the 1968 GCA?? Wonder what was the reasoning was behind chnging the NFA status. Not like something like this is the choice of someone looking to stick up the neighborhood liquor store.

Wonder how many of these babies are legally owned in the US as of 2016???
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #15
CapnMac

Scary how many of those ads I remember from magazines in the barber shop--but, then again, GCA 68 happened when I was eight. I remember surplus and junk places with M-1 Carbines in barrels for $50, too. Not when I had $50, naturally.

Lessee, in '78 when I graduated high school, a Mercedes 250 SLC was an outrageously expensive $55,000. Executive vice presidents made $80-90K; CEO/Presidents made a phenomenal $150K.

Occupational hazard of my occupation just not being around (with apologies to Bubba)
Old Today, 12:16 AM   #16
Acera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper106 View Post
I liked the ad for the 20mm Solothurn anti-tank gun....................

Fast forward to 2016. I assume that not only is the gun (canon?) a NFA 'destructive device', each round of ammo needs a $200 NFA tax stamp also..............
No need for a $200 stamp each round unless it is explosive. Plenty of 20mm ammo that is not. You can buy it and have it shipped to your door for about $35 each. (IIRC the LHATI shoots the same round.)
Also Gunbroker has some collectable ammo for it listed.

Now if you want a 20mm, Anzio Ironworks makes one that shoots 20mm Vulcan ammo, which you can get for as little as $10 a round.

Did notice that Colt AR ad has the limited production model in it which was my first AR-15. Round hand guards over a heavy barrel with the old style carry handle and sights. They soon went to the better rear sight.

Thomas Jefferson:"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by Acera; Today at 12:25 AM.
Old Today, 12:18 AM   #17
Hardtarget

I spotted a shotgun my dad hunted with. A Rem. 11-48, 12 ga, semi auto. the add price tag was $115.00. He spent some money considering there were four kids in the house.

Saw a few others that made me drool!

Mark
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #18
Ryanxia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtarget View Post
I spotted a shotgun my dad hunted with. A Rem. 11-48, 12 ga, semi auto. the add price tag was $115.00. He spent some money considering there were four kids in the house.
Maybe he got it used or made a trade for it. I know some of my family members old guns were gotten in strange ways.

My grandfather has a rifle that he got when a friend wanted to borrow $10 back in the day. This guy was notorious for not paying people back. My grandfather agreed but held on to the guy's rifle as collateral. Guy never paid him back and he's had the rifle 40+ years now.

Skimbell - you HAD to post the thompsons lol. I've wanted one so bad for a long time. Not scraping up the money for a pre 86' one and I had a semi auto one (M1 model) but being closed bolt and having an insanely heavy cocking weight (+50lbs no joke) I sold it. I was going to SBR it and at least it would be a functioning rifle that looked like the WW2 model.

www.odb.org