Quantcast
Shooting Lead Spheres with Nail Gun Blanks! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 19, 2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Badger Arms

Shooting Lead Spheres with Nail Gun Blanks!

Trying to find out if this was a viable alternative to .22 LR. I took round lead shot (.215" caliber) meant for .22 caliber pellet rifles and shot it through my standard .22 LR rifle with Nail Gun Blanks. I will be putting up an accuracy test later, but here is the velocity and ballistics gel test. Looking good so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON9K2rZiYh0
Old December 19, 2014, 10:31 AM   #2
barnbwt

I saw this elsewhere recently, and it was found pressures are far above 22LR, so be careful (I believe they had a failure of some dramatic sort, too)

TCB

"I just took an action to change the law"
--President Barack Obama on exceeding his authority, 11/25/2014
Now, how about we get the next guy to stop enforcing the NFA in its entirety? Precedent and all that...
Old December 19, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
MedWheeler

I know starter-pistol blanks commonly use a corrosive powder. I'm not sure about nail-gun ones..
Old December 19, 2014, 11:53 AM   #4
anothernewb

there was a video somewhere on youtube where they were using those concrete nail setting 22 cal blanks with .22 pellets. interesting to say the least. the velocity of the pellets hinted at some pretty high pressures.
Old December 19, 2014, 11:57 AM   #5
brickeyee

.22 CB caps.
Old December 19, 2014, 12:08 PM   #6
ConstitutionCowboy

Though not as "well rounded" as the pellets, "F" buck shot is .220 in diameter and probably even less expensive than the pellets.

Woody
Old December 19, 2014, 12:54 PM   #7
rodregier

So it's come to this, eh? {grin}

What is the weight of the round lead shot you're launching at 2200 fps?
Old December 19, 2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

Well if the nail gun .22"s are corrosive, my old $19.95 Remington .22 whack a mole nail gun would have been rusted shut 20 years ago. I still have it and it has never been cleaned other a shot of WD40 in the chamber every once in awhile. It still works fine, just don't miss using a 28oz framing hammer to hit it.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 2-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp
Old December 19, 2014, 11:21 PM   #9
Steel Horse Rider

I am not sure of the economics of the swap....... I can get CCI standard velocity LR for $7 per hundred at a number of shops around here.
Old December 20, 2014, 02:31 AM   #10
Deus Machina

Quote:
I am not sure of the economics of the swap....... I can get CCI standard velocity LR for $7 per hundred at a number of shops around here.
But you couldn't a year ago. I think the point is to at least have the ability during a shortage, even if it's not the best option.
Old December 20, 2014, 02:38 AM   #11
slumlord44

.27 Caliber nail gun loads work in my .25 Stevens Rimfire gun with appropriate weight and diameter lubed bullets. I use the lightest power loads I can get. Accuracy is adequate for plinking. Have to extract with a cleaning rod. Extraction has been a problem. Still working on it. Using a Stevens 44 rifle. The .25 Rimfire ammo has been an expensive collector item for a long time.
Old December 20, 2014, 11:00 AM   #12
barnbwt

"I think the point is to at least have the ability during a shortage, even if it's not the best option."

The ability to what, make noise? What's the purpose in a rimfire inline muzzle loader?

TCB

"I just took an action to change the law"
--President Barack Obama on exceeding his authority, 11/25/2014
Now, how about we get the next guy to stop enforcing the NFA in its entirety? Precedent and all that...
Old December 20, 2014, 11:17 AM   #13
230RN
Contributing Member

Same reason we might do well to learn how to knap flint.
Or make percussion caps out of strike anywhere matches.

But Apocalypse threads are not allowed here, so don't pursue that any further.

I didn't know F shot was .22 diameter. Thanks. Good info for... when. Or if.

Last edited by 230RN; December 20, 2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old December 20, 2014, 11:24 AM   #14
g.willikers

Wha, don't you guys ever read post apocalyptic yarns?
But, personally, I'd favor archery.
Shoot it, go get it, shoot it again.....
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM   #15
Badger Arms

I haven't posted my accuracy tests yet, but with the right load of pellet and power load, these can duplicate the accuracy of 22 bulk pack. I'm not into any of that prepper stuff and the likelyhood that you would randomly find nail gun Blanks AND .22 pellets is less than real guns and ammo, so it's a non-starter for me. But if .22 LR is in short supply at the stores, you can plink with this stuff and have a good amount of fun.
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM   #16
g.willikers

And what, exactly, do you have against just using an air rifle?
No ignition component needed, just the pellet.
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #17
rmelchiori

FYI, there are tools to reload 22lr.
http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

There is a YouTube video showing the process and firing the reloaded round.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #18
Badger Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
And what, exactly, do you have against just using an air rifle?
No ignition component needed, just the pellet.
Nothing specific... but can you shoot a .22 pellet at 2,800 FPS with compressed air?