Quantcast
Whatever happened to Hornady Steelcase? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 20, 2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Baldman

Whatever happened to Hornady Steelcase?

Like the title asked what happened? A while back there was some discussion about it. Everytime I'd try to order the stuff in .223 it was always out of stock.

Did it not sell well so they discontinued it?

Was it a case where they couldn't make money on it becasue brass case ammo came back down in price?

Did they have production issues where the quality wasn't where they wanted it?

Did 3 gunners by this stuff in bulk and basically bought out the production line?

At this piont it's no big deal that I can't find it , especially since ammo is much more prevelant then a few years ago, just curious as to why it's hardly mentioned or easily avaiable line.

Thanks

Dr. Suess
Old November 20, 2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Downeast

I saw Hornady steel match ammo in 223 @ Cabelas last weekend if that is what you are talking about. It was around $20 a box which doesn't seem like much of a deal not me.
Old November 20, 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
wally

Quote:
It was around $20 a box which doesn't seem like much of a deal not me.
I believe these are boxes of 50 so unless they've changed the packaging, while Wof/Tula is still cheaper, they don't have as good a bullet as does the Steel Match ammo.
Old November 20, 2014, 09:03 PM   #4
rodregier

looks like all of the .223 Steel Match went on the 2013 Hornady suspended product list.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/hornsuspend06op.png

They could not fill all the demand and so they chose to selectively focus on the higher demand (and more profitable) products.

http://www.hornady.com/support/availability

The suspended list was very long...
Old November 20, 2014, 09:06 PM   #5
Comrade Mike

Steel match is like jumbo shrimp. Kind of an oxymoron
Old November 20, 2014, 09:10 PM   #6
rodregier

looks like some of the Steel Match is back in production. Retail availability could be another matter. Use their retailer finder...

http://www.hornady.com/store/Steel-Match
Old Yesterday, 01:57 AM   #7
HB

Cabelas has tons of it, locally at least. I've always wondered if it's any good.
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM   #8
Baldman

Thanks Guys, this about answers it for me. If I get a chance to make a Cabela's run I'll check to see if they have it.

It might be worthwhile to see if my S & W will work well with them. I'm expecting it would since I never had an issue with the Herters I was using before ammo was more accessible.

Dr. Suess
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #9
jlr1962

I have used all of the .223 match ammo that I have seen in any store. The Hornady Steel match works in my ar as good as any of the high dollar match ammo. Never a hiccup of any kind. I try to keep a few of the 50 round boxes at all times. Other shooters scoff the steel case ammo. Whatever. Makes me wonder about the steel case handgun ammo. I have never used it. That might change.

I found what looked like a 308 or 243 light blue plastic cased shell casing. It had brass at the base kind of like a shotgun shell. I did not see the shooter shoot it, or find more than one casing. ????

In God we trust. Everybody else pays cash.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #10
wally

Quote:
I found what looked like a 308 or 243 light blue plastic cased shell casing. It had brass at the base kind of like a shotgun shell.
I believe these are surplus wood or plastic bullet "training" rounds. Sportsmans Guide has sold some in the past.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #11
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Cabela's is showing the Hornady Steel Match 223 available online @ $21.99 for a 50 round box and this week I got a Midway flyer advertising the 308 steel match for $39.99 for a 50 round box. So the stuff seems to be available out there online anyway.

Ron
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #12
Comrade Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr1962 View Post
I have used all of the .223 match ammo that I have seen in any store. The Hornady Steel match works in my ar as good as any of the high dollar match ammo. Never a hiccup of any kind. I try to keep a few of the 50 round boxes at all times. Other shooters scoff the steel case ammo. Whatever. Makes me wonder about the steel case handgun ammo. I have never used it. That might change.

I found what looked like a 308 or 243 light blue plastic cased shell casing. It had brass at the base kind of like a shotgun shell. I did not see the shooter shoot it, or find more than one casing. ????

That's german training ammunition. Plastic case, plastic projectile, good to about 100 yards so they claim. Never seen any results on paper
Old Today, 03:31 PM   #13
rodregier

Hornady Steel Match is loaded with nice projectiles. If you aren't worried about loadable cases or steel cases in your firearm it's worth a try.