Quantcast
Dr. John Lott's latest article, "Guns and the New York Times" - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #1
J-Bar

Dr. John Lott's latest article, "Guns and the New York Times"

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...tcmp=obnetwork

Just found this article on the Fox News Website. If it has been previously posted, I apologize.

The gist of the article is that concealed carry folks are even more law abiding than the police...an interesting observation!
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #2
Elkins45

Mind giving us a summary?

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #3
J-Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
Mind giving us a summary?
As requested, the closing paragraphs of the article:

" Between October 1, 1987 and January 31, 2015, Florida revoked 9,366 concealed handgun permits for misdemeanors or felonies. This is an annual rate of 12.5 per 100,000 permit holders -- a mere tenth of the rate at which officers commit misdemeanors and felonies. In Texas in 2012, the last year the data is available, 120 permit holders were convicted of misdemeanors or felonies – a rate of 20.5 per 100,000, still just a sixth of the rate for police.

Firearms violations among police occur at a rate of 6.9 per 100,000 officers. For permit holders in Florida, it is only 0.31 per 100,000. Most of these violations were for trivial offenses, such as forgetting to carry one’s permit. The data are similar in other states.

Clearly, people who are going to commit crimes don’t bother going through the process of getting a concealed handgun permit.

At some point, maybe the New York Times and other gun control advocates will realize that making false claims about permit holders actually endangers public safety."
Old Today, 01:55 AM   #4
HammsBeer

So according to the facts, PTC holders are more law abiding than the police sworn to uphold the law? Maybe because PTC holders are put under a microscope to exercise their rights.
Old Today, 02:05 AM   #5
JohnKSa

In all fairness, it's also true that police officers, due to the nature of their jobs, are more often in a position to be prosecuted (or at least investigated) for their actions. When I go to work tomorrow, the odds are just about nil that I will end up having to physically restrain an individual in the course of my workday. Not so much for a cop. There's virtually no chance that my duties at work in the coming year will put me in a situation where someone will accuse me of violating their rights or of assaulting them. Again, not so much for a typical LEO.

However, that said, it is certainly true that permit holders tend to be a very law-abiding bunch--especially in states like FL and TX where they have to pass a background check to get their permit.
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #6
Jim K

Plus, in some states, police are always looking for a way to revoke gun licenses or carry permits. Failure to keep your lawn cut or a loud muffler on your car can result in CCW cancellation or confiscation of your guns for misdemeanors.

Jim