Quantcast
I've lost my hero, my friend, my father... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 28, 2015, 07:31 PM   #1
UKWildcatFan

I've lost my hero, my friend, my father...

1st Lt. in the Army, served in Germany in the early 60's, then a 24 year career in federal law enforcement. He was the greatest man I've ever known. He was a man of unblemished honor and integrity. He was a man of his word. He taught me to work hard, even harder when no one was looking, and to help others along the way. He was among world leaders quite often in his work, but he respected them no more than more ordinary folks he came across. He taught me to look a man in the face when speaking, and I'm raising my two to do the same. He got me into firearms. I put down $100 on my first handgun: a Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 in stainless. I went back a few weeks later to make a payment and the clerk smiled and said, "Son, your balance is $10. Someone made a visit," then he winked. I told him I'd researched extensively about reloading, and he was happy to hear it. He never had, but I'd set it up and let him pull the handle. I'll never forget his smile as another round dropped into the bin. He was the kindest, most gentle, loyal, supportive man I'll ever know. He taught me about Christ early on, and I came to accept Him as my Savior, to his delight. I miss him so much, but I'll see him again. One sweet day.

Last edited by UKWildcatFan; July 28, 2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old July 28, 2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Jolly Rogers

I feel you...I miss my dad too!! Glad he was such a part of your life.
Joe
Old July 28, 2015, 08:04 PM   #3
grogetr

Sorry for your loss. My dad passed 4 yrs ago. He taught me a a lot of the same life lessons your father gave to you. He sounds like he was a good man.
Old July 28, 2015, 08:16 PM   #4
j1

Hang tough and let time do it's thing.
Old July 28, 2015, 08:24 PM   #5
drband

You were fortunate to have such a father!
Old July 28, 2015, 08:29 PM   #6
mugsie

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, but know that as long as you live, he will always be with you.
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus
Old July 28, 2015, 08:35 PM   #7
Ash

Lost my dad just before 9/11. It's tough and there will be conversations you never have again, but you can get through. Knowing Christ, knowing what the future holds, makes it easier.
http://www.fourfoolspress.com/
Old July 28, 2015, 08:36 PM   #8
ADKWOODSMAN

There is no one like one's father. Sorry to hear of your loss.

My dad has been gone 15 years. Hunting camp is not the same or our favorite fishing streams.
Old July 28, 2015, 08:42 PM   #9
BK

Be ever grateful that you had a father that you could enjoy. Not everyone has a dad, or mom, that they can stand to be in the same room with or have a conversation with. My mother and father are still alive and I wish we could talk more than we are able to presently. You've obviously been blessed. Value that.
Old July 28, 2015, 09:18 PM   #10
tubeshooter

I am very sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great man.

I lost my father long ago, before graduating high school. Now Mom is gone, too. I have inherited both guns from them, and they are not going anywhere.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:00 PM   #11
kcofohio
Contributing Member

You have great memories to cherish. May your children see this through you as you teach them from integrity to the handling of firearms.

May the Lord comfort you in your loss, and remind you from time to time of the blessed hope you have.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Wishoot

I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:03 PM   #13
sequins

I offer my condolences for your loss, and my congratulations on the wonderful life you have built. It is good to know that you children have a father as good to them as yours was to you.

In time and in Christ I hope you find your peace with this aspect of the cycle of life..
Old July 28, 2015, 10:06 PM   #14
Arkansas Paul

Sorry for your loss friend.

My pops is still living but he's closing in on 70 and his health is going downhill. I know I'll be going down that road a lot sooner than I want to.

Like yours, he's a great man and role model. We're lucky in that regard anyway.

At least with a father like you described there are no doubt countless good times to think of and smile.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Trent
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:24 PM   #16
Liberty1776

Blessings on having such a great father. I can only hope my kids feel something close to this when I pass...
Old July 28, 2015, 10:37 PM   #17
Black Knight

I am so sorry for your loss. You have my family's deepest sympathies. We will pray for you and your family. Like you my father served in the Army (WWII) and got me interested in guns. My first "gun" was a Daisy BB rifle. My first actual firearm was a Mossberg 180 .410 bolt action shotgun. For most of us our fathers were our first instructors in the firearms world. Many taught us to respect them and be careful around them. Cherish the good times you and he had together.
Old July 28, 2015, 10:54 PM   #18
sigsmoker
Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss. A very touching salute to your Dad.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:14 PM   #19
shootniron

I am very sorry for your loss and will add you to my prayer list.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:18 PM   #20
TomJ

The way you speak about your father is a testament to the type of man he was. You're truly blessed to have had him in your life. You and your family are in our prayers, and I'm sorry for your loss.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:23 PM   #21
MedWheeler

Sorry for your loss. I didn't know mine growing up, as my parents divorced when I was still little. Reconnected with him in my 30s, about ten years before he died, which was at Christmastime in 2010. Turned out, we had both done stints in law enforcement at around the same time. His two remaining guns, a Police Service Six and a Charter Arms Undercover (circa 1975 and 1966, respectively) are with me now.

Go to the range and send some lead in your father's honor. Sounds like he was one of a rare and diminishing, endangered species known as "the good ones"..
Old July 28, 2015, 11:27 PM   #22
Drop45

I had to jump off your post as my room mysteriously go dusty and my eyes began to get wet...sorry for your loss.
Old July 28, 2015, 11:34 PM   #23
Ironicaintit

Sorry to hear of your loss. He must've been a great man, to've raised a boy that would spell it out so well.

I lost my dad in september 2012. He was in Germany in the early 60s, too!
Our relationship was often tense and complicated. Through each other we learned the arts of regret and forgiveness. I still miss him.

And you'll be okay, too
Old July 29, 2015, 12:32 AM   #24
joneb
Contributing Member

Quote:
He taught me about Christ early on, and I came to accept Him as my Savior, to his delight. I miss him so much, but I'll see him again. One sweet day.
Praise God your Dad is home. I feel for your loss my Dad passed almost 2yrs ago, It's not easy but my Dad believed that Jesus is lord. This gives me great comfort.
If we were wrong, no loss. But if we were right.....HALLELUJAH !!! We will meet again.
Old July 29, 2015, 02:37 AM   #25
Center fire

I feel your loss. My dad passed this past May. I miss him every day.