Quantcast
Video of 9mm Shell set off with Torch - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #1
Badger Arms

Video of 9mm Shell set off with Torch

Was reading Hatcher's Notebook and wanted to see if I could duplicate what Hatcher did. I was really surprised. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/qvpGzSl7TPk
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #2
76shuvlinoff

cool! Now do the 45-70
The very same allegedly sensible people that try to get everyone to focus on mental health side of gun control are the very same people that freely use: "gun nuts", "gun crazies" and "gun fanatics" when cornered in a debate.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #3
Badger Arms

Quote:
cool! Now do the 45-70
We did that too. You'll have to wait for the video. I'm posting one a week but that one is pretty far down the list. Probably around Super Bowl time.
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #4
danez71

I guess that is proof that rounds going off in a house fire are not dangerous.

Ask yourself, Is the goal to get more states to support the 2A or to voluntarily handover to the Anti's one state at a time?

The US was founded because people ran away and left,... However, the Constitution came to be because we STOPPED RUNNING AND FOUGHT for our Rights.
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM   #5
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Similar test I did a few years ago.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....5&postcount=15

rc
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM   #6
MikeJackmin

I used to test surplus ammo to see it was corrosive. I got burned once and ruined a barrel because I stupidly trusted the labeling, so I did this fairly routinely.

I had a square of 1/4 mild steel and I'd scrub the center with some sandpaper until it shined. Then I'd grab my inertial bullet puller and remove the slug and powder from a test cartridge, and grasp the primed case with a vicegrip. Then I'd go outside on the front step, heat the primer with a torch, and try to remember to keep the base of the case pointed in a safe direction while holding the mouth of the case over my steel plate. I wore glasses and muffs, same as for shooting.

There would be a loud pop, the primer would usually fly out, and a smudge would appear on the bare steel. Nothing to it. No gun to clean, no particular time or effort involved. I'd keep the steel in a damp place and a day later I'd know for sure if that primer was corrosive or not.

I was surprised how many people told me I was crazy but there was really nothing to it, other than the eye hazard which was easy enough to mitigate. I felt there was more danger involved whenever I ran my grinder or my saw, and nobody ever called me crazy for doing that. Never got fooled by corrosive ammo again, either.

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #7
Badger Arms

Quote:
Similar test I did a few years ago.
Similar results. Mythbusters did it too, but I found that show lacking in, uh, anything empirical.
Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM   #8
Malamute

Quote:
I guess that is proof that rounds going off in a house fire are not dangerous.
SAAMI did an interesting video of cartridge testing. Ignited individually, dropped from 65 feet in boxes and case lots, shot with a 308, ignited with blasting caps, and cases and cases and cases of ammo burned in fires, including a trailer fire full of ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlO...c&spfreload=10

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #9
jmorris

I inadvertently tested .22 LR shells 30 years ago as I bent over one morning to stoke a campfire (dumped out of my shirt pocket into the coals). The cases looked like popcorn (the next day).
Old Today, 09:59 AM   #10
ku4hx

When I was about 16 I closed the overhead garage door on a 16ga shotgun shell with primer end inside the garage. Set that sucker off with a BB gun then hide in my room for a while. No real damage far as i knew but that was the end of my ammunition test phase.

Most fun was a small cannon I made from Galvanized pipe to launch marbles with cherry bombs. Held it in a vice to stabilize. After my mom began to question damage to a couple of our Pecan tree trunks in the yard I dismantled that contraption. That was the end of my cannon making phase.
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #11
Reloadron
Contributing Member

Oh sure, all fun and games till someone gets hurt. You'll shoot your eye out doing that!

I have given thought to doing similar but maybe setting the cases vertical on a plate that is heating and noting the temperatures the primers detonate at. Never got around to it but figured it might be entertaining.

Ron
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Administrator

A "hazard test" of the ignition of an unconstrained .30-'06 cartridge was written up in Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide To Handloading", in my 1952 3rd edition. Basically, nothing bad happened.
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #13
420Stainless

Cool video. As a mischievous kid, I threw a couple of .45 ACP into a fire one time to see what would happen. Hid behind a tree until the round blew. Bullets pretty much stayed in the fire, the brass disappeared and I never found it. Nice to actually see what happens in a more controlled way. I knew the brass would move out, but never would have thought it could go that far into the gelatin.
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #14
ADulay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
SAAMI did an interesting video of cartridge testing. Ignited individually, dropped from 65 feet in boxes and case lots, shot with a 308, ignited with blasting caps, and cases and cases and cases of ammo burned in fires, including a trailer fire full of ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlO...c&spfreload=10

Thanks for that SAAMI video. Well worth the time to watch it and it confirmed several things I had always believed about ammunition in "bulk".

AD
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #15
Malamute

It was pretty interesting.

The only down side was thinking of the half million to million rounds of ammo they used to do that.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #16
we are not amused

A few years ago I suffered a house fire, and a .50 Caliber shell sitting on a self detonated. the bullet disappeared, but the casing was within inches of where it had been sitting, it had split at the neck.
Old Today, 01:11 PM   #17
HKGuns

None of you have ever thrown rounds on a camp fire? It is pretty harmless, other than the pop you get like a fire cracker going off. It really is no big deal without the chamber containing the pressure.