Quantcast
Seattle Times Series on Gun Range Lead Exposure - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 14, 2015, 12:25 AM   #1
BBDartCA

Seattle Times Series on Gun Range Lead Exposure

This has been a been a long running, front page series in The Seattle Times on range lead exposure. Mostly related to LE. Article below from Sunday. Has links to previous stores and today's articles.

http://projects.seattletimes.com/201...d-with-lead/4/
Old April 14, 2015, 12:54 AM   #2
Old Dog

The Times has been running this series a while -- it first focused on the employees of a local commercial range, Wade's Eastside Guns in Bellevue, right outside Seattle. Believe it's still an ongoing lawsuit ...

Being as it rains a little up this way, we've got a few indoor ranges, and in every one in which I've shot, the air quality ranges from poor to major suckage.
Old April 14, 2015, 01:23 AM   #3
stompah

They are just fishing for people on the fence about gun rights. Trying to draw them against firearms. In nearly three decades they come up with one death and a few dozen people who are contaminated. They are just spinning up something that affect a tiny fraction of the population for their agenda.

Before this article was written I made myself aware of the dangers of lead and prevention of poisoning.

I feel bad for these officers for either not knowing the danger or ignoring the danger of lead. But when you cannot see more than arms length, lead or not you are not breathing clean health promoting air. They should have used better judgment.
Old April 14, 2015, 02:37 AM   #4
Sheepdog1968

I've been to Wades Eastside a few times. It appeared to be a nice clean range. I've read the articles as well. Feels to have somewhat of an agenda to it. I don't doubt that there have been problems. I would have liked to have seen some discussion about outdoor ranges as well.

I shoot weekly and when I do my annual physical i ask the doctor to add a lead and mercury (I enjoy sushi) test to the blood draws. So far so good. Just had my blood drawn today.
Old April 14, 2015, 09:23 AM   #5
RustyShackelford

Posts....

I posted this news story and a related media item from NBC news in 2014.
In that topic, a member suggested drinking grapefruit juice to help expel the toxins & contaminants.
To wash your hands or clean out your clothes/gear after any indoor range trips isn't bad either.
As the print article research showed, many of the range problems are for employees or OSHA/EPA related.

General George A Patton
Old April 14, 2015, 10:06 AM   #6
BBDartCA

Grapefruit juice? My goodness .... http://www.insufferableintolerance.com

Seattle has some good outdoor ranges. I happen to us the Seattle police range which is in city limits and even has 200 yard rifle! Open to civilians 5 days a week.
Old April 14, 2015, 12:32 PM   #7
RustyShackelford

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDartCA View Post
Grapefruit juice? My goodness .... http://www.insufferableintolerance.com

Seattle has some good outdoor ranges. I happen to us the Seattle police range which is in city limits and even has 200 yard rifle! Open to civilians 5 days a week.
Post #6 makes no sense. What is the purpose of the link?

General George A Patton
Old April 14, 2015, 12:52 PM   #8
alsaqr

Lead poisoning is a serious health issue. Any public indoor firing range that lacks a properly functioning air handling system is asking to be sued out of existence. There have been several good discussions of lead poisoning here. This is one of them:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...lead+poisoning
Old April 14, 2015, 01:08 PM   #9
Paul7

Why I only shoot outdoors.
Old April 14, 2015, 06:09 PM   #10
tuj

Lead is serious business. NIOSH has published several papers on how to minimize lead exposure from the indoor range. Surprisingly, the issue is not the air as much as it is contact and incidental ingestion of lead from poor hand-washing following a range session. I know a guy who shoots indoor bullseye and is also a prison guard and he has a range of lead levels that will disqualify him from his job. He is so close to the limit, he has to wear a respirator at the range.
Old April 14, 2015, 06:25 PM   #11
BBDartCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
Post #6 makes no sense. What is the purpose of the link?
Pseudoscience remedies bother me. The link covers the subject.
Old April 15, 2015, 12:15 AM   #12
JSH1

I shot at an indoor range for the first time a couple of months ago. Never again. Air quality sucked and it was incredibly loud even though I was the only one shooting.

The article says the range had 3 times the legal limit of lead in the air. That should not be taken lightly and the range should be closed until the ventilation system is fixed.

Last edited by JSH1; April 15, 2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old April 16, 2015, 10:31 PM   #13
ScottsBad

Seattle is full of a bunch of panty waists. They are fishing for people to be afraid of ranges as another way to suppress gun enthusiasm for guns.
Old April 17, 2015, 09:03 AM   #14
tcoz
Contributing Member

^^^^^^^This, although I don't know about the panty waist part. When you have your annual physical, ask the doc to order a lead level along with the other blood work.
Old April 19, 2015, 01:46 AM   #15
Old Dog

Quote:
Seattle is full of a bunch of panty waists. They are fishing for people to be afraid of ranges as another way to suppress gun enthusiasm for guns.
Well, truly there does seem to be an abundance of panty-waists about ... However, the greater Puget Sound region does in fact have a large -- seemingly still growing -- and active firearms culture.

Just because there's a few liberals around, no need to stereotype a large metro area, particularly one in which you do not reside and possibly have never even visited ... I'd venture to say there are far more indoor ranges and outdoor gun clubs in the Snohomish/King/Pierce/Thurston/Kitsap/Mason/Island/Jefferson counties (our counties contigious to the Sound) than in most any other area of comparable size in the continental U.S.