Quantcast
NYT Acknowledges Obama's EA Charade... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 7, 2016, 11:42 AM   #1
SuperNaut

NYT Acknowledges Obama's EA Charade...

...And weakly plea for the ATF to "do something."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/08/us...tion.html?_r=0

“This is a very modest plan,” said Joe Vince, a former administrator at the A.T.F. who now teaches criminal justice. “I don’t think the president had much more authority than to do what he did.”

But tears damnit! TEARS!
Old February 7, 2016, 01:14 PM   #2
yokel

POTUS' "lofty plan" is to degrade and destroy the American gun culture.
Old February 7, 2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Red Wind

Quote:
POTUS' "lofty plan" is to degrade and destroy the American gun culture.
The New York Times will be with him every step of the way , hoping our Leader can attain his impossible dream.

You would never know from the NYT that homicides have been cut in half since 1993, even with 100 million more firearms in Americans hands. No, their goal is also to take every firearm out of "civilian" reach.

This dying New York rag will never live to see the day.
Old February 7, 2016, 03:02 PM   #4
ACP

Red Wind, if the NYTimes was with him 'every step of the way,' as you say, then it wouldn't have written a story detailing how miserably he has failed, now would it?

Unless... oh my God... it's a reverse strategy to goad the president into REAL action by pointing out how ineffective he has been!!

Please take the good news for what it's worth...
Old February 7, 2016, 04:32 PM   #5
Red Wind

Quote:
Please take the good news for what it's worth...
OK!
Old February 8, 2016, 12:58 PM   #6
Speedo66

It's not the reality that matters to politicians, it's the perception.

They'll lie and tell you how great it's going to work, and hope the average voter will forget down the road when results are expected. By that time, the politicians will be into another senseless scheme promising the world.
Old February 8, 2016, 01:17 PM   #7
stonecutter2

Wow, is this really the NYT or some parody site lol. The criticism! Wow.
"Let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36
Old February 8, 2016, 08:16 PM   #8
SuperNaut

Oh hey, they added comments. There was no comments section when I first posted the link.
Old February 10, 2016, 11:56 AM   #9
TimSr

The reason they cannot do much in the way of prosecution is that the definition of a "dealer" is way too vague to enforce. Prosecution is the one area in which the executive branch has total control, and if the law left room for prosecution, they would be doing it. Early on it appeared that the president was going to attempt to exectively legislate a definition of a "dealer", and i can help but wonder what stopped him this time. the NYT article seesm to be lamenting the fact that he is not utilizing king's eddicts.
Old February 10, 2016, 02:51 PM   #10
22-rimfire

The President should work with Congress IF he feels strongly about gun control. That is the way the system works. There are checks and balances. He isn't king. The fact is all of the controls he would like to implement would have next to zero impact on crime. Suicides perhaps? But I believe if you want to kill yourself, you'll find a way since most of us drive a killing machine every single day. All it takes is the will and a flick of the wrist and you are visiting a telephone pole or tree up close.
Old February 10, 2016, 05:56 PM   #11
Carl N. Brown

There were nearly 280,000 gun dealer Federal Firearms Licensees when the Clintons decided to eliminate gun collectors and hobbyists from the FFL list. The gun collectors, hobbyists and other occasional sellers were told they were not "engaged in the business" and therefore did not need (or deserve) a license. That cut the FFL list down to about 50,000. This Obama Admin "unlicensed dealer" label slapped on gun collectors or hobbyists who are not real gun businesses is largely the result of the Clinton Admin & Brady Campaign forcing down the number of FFLs allowed.

The way I look at it, this is basically another NYT Page A1 editorial on gun control to match their "The Gun Epidemic" editorial of 5 Dec 2015. I have appended my copy + comments to my file on "The Gun Epidemic".

The 5 Dec front page editorial was the first openly acknowledged front page editorial since, hmm, in 1920 they Front Page A1 editorialized against Presidential candidate Warren G Harding (Rep.) and for James M. Cox (Dem.) and who won? Harding.

Maybe NYT should refrain from front page editorializing in an election year. The op-ed page is the place for that.