Quantcast
MO Open Carry Oct 12 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 28, 2014, 07:35 PM   #1
Tirod

MO Open Carry Oct 12

Oct 12, 2014 Missouri will be Open Carry statewide, and local ordinances will be amended to respect it.

For some, nothing will change - they already open carry in their town, or only conceal carry. For others, it will be a new opportunity.

Which are you, and will it change what you do? Why, and why not?
Old September 28, 2014, 07:41 PM   #2
vamo

As far as I know it only effects those within the city limits of St. Louis and Kansas City, I live just outside St. Louis and will continue to carry concealed when I carry. I applaud the law's passage, I don't like the idea of someone in legal trouble for failing to cover their gun with a thin layer of cloth, however in today's society I think it is only polite to do your best to keep things concealed.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
Old September 28, 2014, 09:33 PM   #3
bhk

Actually, my area of the state has always been 'open carry.' Rarely see anyone do it (it is a pretty gunny area, too). Unless in the field, I carry concealed. Like lots of things, being legal doesn't always make it comfortable or smart to do. I have no problem with the right being extended to all parts of the state, but I don't believe the practice will ever be common.
Old September 29, 2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Miked7762

I completely missed this law passing and I'm a little confused. The state has always been open carry but municipalities could ban it. Is this new law just removing the ability of local governments to ban open carry?
Old September 29, 2014, 06:31 PM   #5
enrious

If you have a ccw, yes - but this law did more, such as lowering the ccw age requirement, spelling out training requirements for armed teachers, and clarifying/changing some of the ccw training requirements.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...e-session.aspx
Old September 29, 2014, 08:56 PM   #6
bhk

As I said in my previous post, the open carry portion of the new law will have no effect on most of the state. Only those cities/towns with existing ordinances against open carry will be effected.

I feel that those folks legally open carrying (with a ccw) in these areas will be constant and repeated targets of LEOs who will feel legally obligated to to check all open carriers for valid permits. What a pain. Fortunately this will not be the case in most of the state.