Quantcast
New Member? Introduce yourself here (just intros, questions get answered elsewhere) - Page 184 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 23, 2009, 12:34 AM   #4576
ga red clay

Hello all,
Been lurking for a while, finally decided to join.
Born and raised in Athens, Georgia (Home of the Dawgs)
My first rifle was a Ruger 10/22 that is still the most accurate squirrel killer I've shot. After my 18th birthday I bought a Mossberg 835 and an interchangeable rifled barrel with scope. Great deer slug gun, as well as turkey and skeet shooter.
Just a few days ago after my 21st birthday, I bought a S&W Sigma .40 cal that I enjoy very much and carry all the time.
I aspire to be a police officer in the near future, after college. Till then, Im shooting on my own dollar
Glad to be here.
-J
Old December 23, 2009, 12:50 AM   #4577
gruntham

Eager to learn!

Hello All,

I have been fascinated with firearms for a long time. As a child I wasn't allowed to pursue my interest. But 4yrs ago I shot an Ak47 and I was sold. I own a Ruger p94 .40 cal with Hogue grips. I go to the range 2-3 times a year and enjoy cleaning it too. I recently inherited 7 Smith & Wesson revolvers from my grandfather and will be posting some questions soon. Thanks.
Truly
-G
Old December 23, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4578
SPlisken

Hi All,

Another Noob for the group... I've been shooting for over 30 years thanks to the hand me down Model 62A my great Grandfather bought for my Father when he was 12 and that I learned on even earlier. My primary interests in firearms are self-defense and hunting but I'm feeling the need for a little competition developing. I am going to try to get into the local 3-gun matches when they start up in January this time around. I've lurked at those events off and on for a few years. That's been on my list of to dos for a long while and it reinforces skills I am very interested in maintaining. Eventually I'd like to start shooting more long-range (+500 yds). Target shooting is a family event for the boys in our family (nothing against lady shooters, the ladies in our family just aren't into it beyond the basic know-how) and we are fortunate to have lots of property to shoot on. I have never reloaded but am planning to set up a work area for that this coming year to help cut costs on my commonly used ammo (.45 ACP, .223/5.56, .308 Win, 3" 12 ga). I'll expand that to include 300 WM when I get into the longer-range. My wife says the look on my face while I clean guns is the most content she ever sees me and I'd have to agree that it is a very enjoyable time for me because I get to remember all of the good times and places! Anyway...HOWDY to all!
Old December 23, 2009, 10:42 PM   #4579
MAINEMAN

Hello, my name is Will and I am a hopeless gun nut. My interest began young, and although my parents were both from gun families, neither of them owned them. My friends let me shoot their .22s when we went for walks in the woods, and I was hooked. I was fifteen when i finally convinced my parents (mostly my mother) to let me get a gun, and with money i had earned stacking wood i bought a brand new Ruger 10/22. Long story short, I shot the heck out of it and didn't look back. I now have more guns, and I have begun learning about firearms design and construction. I love this forum, and love hearing from other gun enthusiasts.
Old December 24, 2009, 04:42 AM   #4580
WaMason

My name is Alex, I live in Washington State near the Canadian Border, and have been a shooter since dad gave me my first pellet gun at age 9. 14 years later, I cant stop myself from buying, shooting, and tinkering with the guns that I am able to afford on a modest budget.

At the moment I prefer revolvers, but Im a big fan of Steyr Firearms.
Old December 24, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4581
beefiness

Hey Guys, my name is Frank. i end up on this site quite a bit due to google searches, figured i might as well join as i always find exactly the info i'm looking for. I'm currently stationed in southeast Connecticut. i've been a Submariner in the Navy for 12 years. I hunt whitetail, black bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, geese, duck, turkey, and crow. i also enjoy competitive shooting(local pistol leagues, military service rifle, practical pistol, 3-gun).
Old December 24, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4582
The Sarge

Long time lurker...old school...been tinkering and gunsmithing for over 45 years. Got into tactical training about 10 years ago...keeps me in shape and I enjoy it....thanks for having me.
Old December 24, 2009, 11:12 PM   #4583
LiquidSky

Hello, and Merry Christmas to everyone

Hey folks,

I'm looking forward to learning from all the knowlege and info on this site.

My personal interests are hunting, fishing (trout), camping, backpacking, shooting, gardening and my family.

Wishing everone a wonderful Christmas and an awesome new year!
Old December 25, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4584
Jswebb45

Hey,

Love the site looking to meet new folks on here that share the same passion I do for firearms. Started collecting this year my first purchase was a S&W sigma 40 followed by a Springfield Armory XD 45 and a Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 26, 2009, 12:07 PM   #4585
navyretired 1

Hi:
My name is Marv and I've really enjoyed this site so far, lively discusion and opinions with out all the crud and finger pointing from other sites. I'm 62 years old, VN vet, retired E-9 Navy with 28 years active(broken service 69-79)10 years reserve. Gunsmith, degree in automotive technology, life NRA, PADI Divemaster, amature machinist. Model TT truck builder owner.
I like to share and feel that a day you don't learn something is a day wasted.
thanks Marv
Old December 26, 2009, 12:20 PM   #4586
EChryst

Hey. Also here to do a lot of learning. 4 years in the Army (82nd Airborne) with time in Louisiana for Hurricane Katrina and Afghanistan. I'd like to take as much as I can from this board and add the little bit that I know. Thanks!
Old December 26, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4587
XTEXASX

Hello thr members. Im looking for magazine for a mossberg plinkster 702. Its expensive ordering them online. Im looking for used ones 2 or 3 mags. Anyone want to get rid of them let me know. We'll talk about the arrangement.
Old December 27, 2009, 12:26 AM   #4588
varmintprob

Hello all been hunting for a long time but have always wanted to know more. I have a big problem with hogs at the moment and need help with a long range gun for big pigs and cougars. May have to sell some things to get this but I think I would like a .338 lapua or .50 bmg. I need a lot of knock down power. Toughest critter I have ever shot at. The other problem is the cat will have to be hunted from long distances too leary.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:00 AM   #4589
MamaMac

Smile

Marietta, GA- East Cobb here. I'm a stay home mom of three little ones. Just got my first 9mm pistol this year. Also have 12 gauge shot gun and .45 handgun in our home. Hubby and I shoot targets and clay. I am enjoying reading the threads on THR and learning, learning, learning about guns. In the process of applying for conceal and carry permit now. Any other mommies around here?
Old December 27, 2009, 05:20 AM   #4590
Cliff570

Hello from Milford PA.
Nice site you have here. My interests are mostly in handguns but I hope to find time to get back into shooting trap. My EDC has been a Glock 23 but a new CZ75B in 40SW is starting to take over on my hip. My wife carries either a Bersa 380 or S&W J frame.
See you around the forums, Cliff
Old December 27, 2009, 07:29 AM   #4591
RichardN281

hello, I hope to learn from this site through the experience of other members and as well as my limited experience also. Be safe and happy shootin
Old December 27, 2009, 07:41 AM   #4592
Sawblade

Greetings from Iraq!

I'm an Air Force radio maintainer stationed at Balad right now, my home unit is at Andrews AFB, but my home will always be in the Texas hill country. So far my tool box contains an old Remington .22 trapdoor revolver, a 4" Taurus .357, a Taurus PT1911, a Remington Model 510, an Iver Johnson 16ga Champion (currently broken), a 12ga Mossberg 500 persuader, a Marlin 336 in .30/30, a .54 CVA muzzleloader, and a surplus 1942 M91/30. Once I get back, I plan on getting an EBR. Either a surplus AK-47, a new AR-15 (looking at doublestar), or building an AR-57 up from a stripped receiver.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:41 PM   #4593
Danny540

What is a "shooter"?

Have only posted once before; just inherited some older pieces.
What constitutes a "shooter" or collectors item, etc. Is it condition only or fact of active use? I just want to judge what I have.
Anyone know any reputable gunsmiths in the Chicago area? (not in Cook C.)
Thanks.
Old December 27, 2009, 04:17 PM   #4594
sgte5

Hello. I've been checking out this site for awhile now and like what I've read. I am a past member of America's first gun club, USMC. I've always been a supporter of our Second Amendment rights. I'm retired now and shoot as much as the weather will allow. I am not sure if I reload so I can shoot, or shoot, so I can reload. I have been handloading for about 30 years, and have built my gun collection to quite a few different calibers and guages, so I have more to reload for. It is a heck of a disease I suffer from, but I love it. It makes these midwest winters easier on me!!
Old December 27, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4595
Bud in WV

Hi from WV

ok - Just got here and already did it wrong! I posted a question under General Gun Discussion before I got to this screen. I kinda intoduced myself there, though.
I'm in my late 50s and my hair is "Possum Blonde" - gray just sounds too old! I was with power company in NC for 24 years. I finished up as a turbine outage planner.
When I was a kid in SC, we'd go to my grandfather's fishing cabin. I was 8, my cousin was 9. We had 3 rules - 1) don't do anything stupid, 2) don't let the boat run out of gas and 3) make sure you carry a .22 rifle for snakes! Times have changed!
I've owned and shot pistols, rifles and shot guns my whole life but I no longer advertise it too much.

Last edited by Bud in WV; December 27, 2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Add more
Old December 28, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4596
kevin g

Hi, Im new to this site, but Im not new, been here for 58 years, I like huntin shootin, reloading,cars and music, and its expensive to do em all with the enthusiasm i'd like to. Lots of good information on this site. Which is how I found it. I was googling info on shooting benches and found one by rcmodel that caught my eye. Well I think Im going to go find him and get some info on his table.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:07 PM   #4597
BRHbar

Howdy from Texas

Howdy, BRHBar (Bruce) here, been a member for a little while, finally decided to add my 2 cents. Master Plumber by trade, Hobbies are: Woodworking, Hunting, Fishing, and of course NASCAR (go Tony) . I've been around guns literally my whole life. Dad used to take me out shooting since I was 7 years old, will be 48 in Feb. My collection includes: Weatherby .338 Win Vanguard w/ Millett TRS-1, Ruger Mini 14 Ranch w/Ruger folding stock (pre-ban), Winchester Defender shotgun, FIE single shot defender shotgun, Ruger 10/22 150th anniversary issue, Stevens single shot 22 (my grandfathers), Taurus PT-100 .40 S&W, PT-101 .40 S&W (my carry gun), Taurus 65 .357 SS, T/C Contender w/ 10" .221 Fireball, 14" 7-30 Waters, 14" 45/70 w/ MT, 20" .204 Ruger & Simmons 2.5 x10x50 and last but not least, my EBG (evil black gun) Colt .223 Match Target Competition HBAR II. Not the biggest collection, but it's mine. My next will hopefully be a .338 Edge, and don't ask the brand, 'cus i'm not done researching yet. Glad to be here!
Old December 29, 2009, 08:11 AM   #4598
rpadgett2

New member here. I'm in Jacksonville Florida.
Old December 29, 2009, 09:28 AM   #4599
LogGuy

Hello from Mid MO

Hi. I'm new--been lurking for a while. I'm interested in IWB carrying and have a stainless Dan Wesson bobbed .45 that I carry daily. Also interested in home defense weapons and security. I'm a retired MP with all of the Physical Security courses available in the Army under my belt. Physical Security is interesting to me and I'm interested in it as far as setting up a defendable homesite in the woods (I'm just starting the build of a large real log cabin) but Physical Security is the most boring line of work on the planet!

For my next firearms purchase I'm looking at either the Extrema with tube entension or the Siega mag-fed 12 guage. This weapon is intended for the wife to be able to deliver continuous defensive shots against an intruder.

I've got a REAL 1805 US Marshal flintlock 'Harper's Ferry' pistol, which is the pistol used in the Military Police Crest/collar brass. I make a full-sized fake pistol, molded from my original, for use in awards for Military Policemen. Since there are only about 200-300 real ones left on the planet, I wanted every MP to have the ability to own and handle the pistol that represents their Corps. It's fake and doesn't function--but it makes a really neat award for MPs.

Last edited by LogGuy; December 29, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old December 29, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4600
Revolversrule

Hello from Connecticut!

Stratford more specifically, where it's even illegal to own a B-B gun! Yep, we need a preemption law here in the Nutmeg State badly!

Tags
info, ruger