Quantcast
New Member? Introduce yourself here (just intros, questions get answered elsewhere) - Page 264 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 23, 2011, 02:30 PM   #6576
MadMusial

Howdy

Not a gun owner but have had a strong intrest in firearms my whole life. I'm in my early 20's and recently married. My wife and I have a son on the way due 9/14/11. Found this site on the blog of an author I like and it seemed like a good place to start getting some information on learning how to use firearms properly and what a good startign gun might be.
Old July 23, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6577
Hillbilly75

I have been visiting this site almost daily for nearly a year and finally decided to get an account. I love shooting and reloading which is the primary reason I started visiting the site in the first place. I enjoy reading all the different advice/opinions and I appreciate the vast experience of the "regulars".
Old July 23, 2011, 04:35 PM   #6578
purd0027

Hi, I'm Bill from MN. Very limited firearm experience. I joined up to hopefully learn what kind of ammo to feed my Ruger 22/45 so it doesn't become immediately filthy. Also looking for cleaning/maintenance tips, and of course, tips on how to keep everything within the circle.
Old July 23, 2011, 04:51 PM   #6579
Red Cent

The CCI Mini Mag standard velocity is a very good round. I run them in my 10-22s and a Ruger MKIII Target 5 1/2" and a Ruger Single Six.

Here is what I do to most of my handguns. I do not tear down that often. After a range session, I spray with RemOil thoroughly. Go drink a beer.Or a Coke. I use a large air compressor to spay a water and Ballistol combo at some decent pressure. I recapture the mix. Then I use the air hose to blow liquid and any debris free of the firearm. The water/Ballistol will not rust the firearm. Ask any blackpowder shooter. They call it mother's milk. Turns a light gray. Been doing something similar for fifty years.
You can modernize the process by using, sensibly, gun degreaser spray after the dousing of the RemOil. Then lightly lubricate. Wipe the firearm down.
I shot thousands of rounds in my single actions, lever rifles, and pump shotguns for around seven years straight, heavy.
Do the same thing with my 1911s. You might want to remove wood grips. I remove all of mine.
Bore snakes solve the rest of the problem. Use same process.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze. SASS #29170L
Strangers are friends ready to happen.
Old July 23, 2011, 09:35 PM   #6580
Four_Speed

Hi, kids

Thanks for having me aboard. It's an honor and privilege.
Old July 23, 2011, 10:24 PM   #6581
Beached Yankee

I would just like to say thanx for welcomin me abord. Real quick I am a Christian, a U. S. vet., NRA life member and an avid firearms nut, and fairly new the panhandle of Florida. I am also a strong supporter of anything truly American So I will apologize up front if I offend anyone for standing by U.S. made anything and the U.S. worke force sorry no I will not
Old July 24, 2011, 01:28 PM   #6582
XD-MAN

HELLO FROM SOUTH CAROLINA
CCW permit holder favorite guns are Colt 1911 45 and 9mm xd compact amd 45-70 winchester brush gun.
Old July 24, 2011, 04:24 PM   #6583
rschuermann

bob S

just joined. /thanks for the invite
Old July 24, 2011, 04:37 PM   #6584
rschuermann

r schuermann

I have a 39A that I purchqased in 1961 as a used gun, serial #7857 unsder the lever, with 857 on the tang. Am wondering about the age of the gun. Any ideas????
Old July 24, 2011, 04:43 PM   #6585
RTARMS

HEY EVERYONE!!! P.A. boy here stuck in Florida....not sure for how much longer....nothing to hunt(except dog sized deer and hogs)...and only one good range but it's always packed.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:56 PM   #6586
we are not amused

Just joined, have been a lurker on this site for a while, but finally got off my butt to join.
Enjoy all guns, and own more than most people think I ought to, but I am a piker compared to some I know. I only own about 20. Long guns and pistols, I want about 7 more in the near future, and as many more as I can afford after that. Own a small farm, in a (obviously) rural area, on the edge of the Flint Hills in Kansas, don't hunt too much, but I do enjoy shooting targets.
Old July 24, 2011, 11:04 PM   #6587
we are not amused

reply to Lambermk:
Another Krag Fan! I love you already! (or at least lust after your Krag)
Kind of like the Luger too!

Last edited by we are not amused; July 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: didn't address it to whom I meant, drooling too much over the picture of the Krag
Old July 24, 2011, 11:24 PM   #6588
vellocet
Registration in progress

VELLOCET: Thank you, my friends, for all the information I have picked up from this wonderful site. However, many items that I have read or responded to have not been within the stated purpose of The High Road. As such, in the future I will restrict my input to questions about firearms, or answer any questions about them as best I can. Best wishes and have fun with your guns.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:46 AM   #6589
lambermk

Thanks alot, my grandfather left the older guns to me prior to his passing so I am truly lucky. I appreciate your fondness. The luger has matching serial numbers inside and out and am trying to price it. I have been thinking about selling it.

For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!
Old July 25, 2011, 08:34 AM   #6590
Noobbuster6

hi from portugal

im noobbuster6, from porto , portugal.
I llike guns.

I came here to share my project with gun lovers: gunsproject.wordpress.com.

Its a "book" showing almost all guns that exist in the world.
Check it out.

And sry if this is spam, but i need to share my site.
Old July 25, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6591
zfk55

Is it more complete than the volumes of Firearms of the World?
What does yours show that my 5 volumes don't show?
Old July 25, 2011, 09:46 AM   #6592
ChiefRichard

Howdy from West Virginia

In way of introduction, I'm new here, I love guns and will buy/collect more (I'm one of the lucky ones that has my wife's permission. She's a NRA Life Member too). I do desire input from you fellows; since most of you know more about guns than I. I hope we have fun together. I'm retired and disabled from the U.S. Navy, served over 20 years and retired in 1993 as a Chief Petty Officer. My wife and I are empty nesters who take security seriously. A neighbor was (this past Friday) invaded by three men, under false pretenses, beaten, tied up and robbed at 1:30 in the afternoon...broad daylight. His neighbor was beaten and robbed of her diabetic needles. All of us are elderly and we will fight back. Thank God for the Castle Doctrine. Thieves, BRING IT ON...Right now I own: Marlin 30-30 Model 336CS; Ruger 10-22; NEF R92 .22 Revolver; NEF Single Shot 12 GA. Shotgun; S&W Mode 909, 9mm pistol; Taurus Model 44 "The Judge" Revolver; Taurus Model 85 Ultra-Lite .38 Special +P. Wishlist: 12 Gauge MOSSBERG 500 Special Purpose Mariner Pump Action Shotgun, 20" Barrel, 9 Rounds, Pistol Grip; GLOCK 37; S&W M&P .45; RUGER Super Red Hawk; XDm .45; SIG SAUR P226 Navy.
Old July 25, 2011, 12:49 PM   #6593
30-30shooter

i live in taxachusetts, i like older guns and for some reason i have a reputation for overkill
Old July 25, 2011, 01:18 PM   #6594
MossbergMan

I'm a new member from central Louisiana. I have 40 or so guns, most of them are .22s and 12ga shotguns. I have many Mossbergs, Remingtons, and H&Rs. I also have some high powered rifles and I also I have many handguns ranging from .22 short to .44 magnum.
Old July 25, 2011, 02:29 PM   #6595
Bravo Sierra

Hello Hello.

I just came by this forum, having googled a question that lead me here. I got the answer I was looking for and found more answers to questions I hadn't thought of yet.

I'm live in the mountains of Northern California and tend to fire shotguns and carbines.
Old July 25, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6596
fyurstarter

New to THR

Hey everyone,
After years of reading on THR I decided to register and frequent the site.
I love what I've read so far and I'm really looking forward to reading more and participating in the forums.
Any suggestions on where to look for discussion on battle rattle for my AR?
Old July 26, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6597
enhabdec

Newbie in town

Hello, everybody!

Let me introduce myself : I am French (sorry, nobody's perfect! ), living in Paris, France. I am passionated about american black powder weapons of the 19th century. Now, I am retired but I am a former journalist : during more than 20 years, I worked in an french editing company which use to publish military historical magazines, Histoire & Collections.
I am deeply interested about combustible cartridges and their packets. I use to make my own combustible cartridges with a kit sold by a french manufacturer.
I discovered your site in the time I was searching informations about original charges for C&B revolvers: I found them, thanks to Gatofeo!
My little armory consist of Colt 1860 Army .44 (Uberti), Colt 1851 Navy .36 (Uberti), Colt 1862 Police .36 (Uberti), Colt 1849 Wells & Fargo .31 (Uberti), Remington 1863 Army .44 (Uberti), Roger & Spencer .44 (Euroarms) and Remington Pocket .31 (Pietta). For the time being, I have an eye on a Colt 1848 Dragoon 2nd Model (Uberti)…
I do apologize about my english: it comes from school, a very long time ago…
Regards
Jean-Louis
Old July 26, 2011, 11:33 PM   #6598
NickCOFL

Just Moved to Colorado! Kind of New member hear

Hello everyone!

I just moved to Lakewood, Colorado after spending my life in Florida! My fiance and I are loving the move. Looking for some nearby shooters who can help me find an outdoor range / location where I can shoot my rifles and shotguns. I just picked up a Mosin Nagant today, and have decosmolined the rifle, and I am really looking forward to doing some shooting! The few ranges I know of in the area either do not allow rifles at all, or prohibit the soft metal core surplus ammunition I have purchased. Any information would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind tagging along and meeting some other Colorado shooters if anyone has any outings planned!

Loving the Mountain life so far, and can't wait to enjoy it more!
Old July 27, 2011, 12:22 AM   #6599
PASTORK

Hello all. I am Rev. Greg Knippa. I am a staff chaplain for Providence Hospice out of Waco, TX. My wife and two boys live in Belton Texas. The boys and I love varmint / predator hunting and plinking. There seems to be some fine, helpful folks on this site. God bless!
John 8:12
Old July 27, 2011, 11:27 AM   #6600
longwoodla1

I've been reloading some 25+ years. All standard stuff, no "hot shot" loads.
I own a Dillion Press. Load both long gun and hand gun loads. Recently purchased a M&P9c, my first 9mm. Researching reload data for 9mm....somewhat confussed. Will post questions as I read professional links and threads...etc. and like most members I too reside on the far right of our constitution. Oboma is a plant...we have let it happen. and now we may very well have to fight like hell to get some of it back. Glad to be a member with a group that stays informed. Its ok if any of you professionals loading 9mm want to chime in with some of the finer points to consider. I only want to load target/range loads. Thanks guys, I'm glad to be here.