Quantcast
New Member? Introduce yourself here (just intros, questions get answered elsewhere) - Page 46 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 12, 2007, 11:04 PM   #1126
3Jmetal

Hi all, Im a new member here, and I already have a question. I would like to Know your opinion for a first gun. I have rented several at the range of all calibers so Im preaty much set on getting a 9mm. I have narrowed it down to 3 options, s&w m&p, Springfield xd, and beretta px4. I would also like to Know if I should get it with the night sights.
Old August 13, 2007, 01:56 PM   #1127
Cougfan2

Smile

Hello to all. This is my first post. I am a long time hunter and shooting sports enthusiast. I must say I've seen lots of good info in the threads in this board. Good to meet y'all!

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Old August 13, 2007, 03:03 PM   #1128
Cougfan2

Smile First handgun

Hi all, Im a new member here, and I already have a question. I would like to Know your opinion for a first gun. I have rented several at the range of all calibers so Im preaty much set on getting a 9mm. I have narrowed it down to 3 options, s&w m&p, Springfield xd, and beretta px4. I would also like to Know if I should get it with the night sights.

Howdy 3JMetal! The options you list for a first handgun are all good choices. I would pick the one that you shoot the best with. If you shoot with all equally well, I would pick the one that feels best in your hand. As for night sights, there is no down side and considerable upside for self defense.

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin
Old August 13, 2007, 06:47 PM   #1129
The Annoyed Man

Hello everybody.

Just joined today. We have 3 bolt rifles in my family, all in .308. I have a Remington 700 VSF left handed. My 17 yr old son just bought his new rifle this past Saturday - a Savage 10FP HS Precision. And we share between us an old Ruger M77 MkII All Weather that looks like a junkyard dog and shoots like a champ for a light weight sporter rifle. (Yep, we have a love affair going with the venerable .308.)

The Remington is topped with a Leupold 4.5-14x50mm scope; the Savage has a Bushnell Elite 4200 6Ė24x40mm scope; and the Ruger has an old clapped out Bushnell 3-9x38mm Red Dot scope.

Oh, and we have a couple of old .22 youth sized "squirrel guns."

In addition, I own 4 pistols:
  • My dad's old 1943 vintage Ithica 1911-A1 that was his sidearm in the Marine Corps during WW2.
  • A Colt Government in .380 - 150th Anniversary edition.
  • A S&W Model 29 Classic in .44 Mag. with a 5" barrel.

And last but not least...
  • A Sig 1911 Revolution Carry Stainless. This is my carry piece.
Old August 13, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1130
Mikhail Konovalov

I am Mikhail V. Konovalov and I am living proof that all artists are not anti-gun.

Kahr Arms/AO 1911A1 PKZ .45 ACP
IMI Jericho 941 9mm
Beretta U22 NEOS .22LR
IMI/MRI Desert Eagle .50AE
Vector Arms AKM
Mossberg 500A
Numerous others.

Last edited by Mikhail Konovalov; August 13, 2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Forgot the all-important list.
Old August 13, 2007, 08:27 PM   #1131
highfive

Hi everybody, I have been a member now for a couple weeks but I just saw this thread. Well I like mostly handguns but have been in the hunt for a rifle for a few days now. I'm in Texas free country. I like the forum a lot and it really helps. Hope you guys like it as well take care everybody and happy hunt.

"As I approach the gates of heaven;
to St. Peter I will tell;
One more soldier reporting sir;
I've served my time in hell".
-Mark Anthony Gresswell
Old August 13, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1132
Matt King

Welcome! You will find that THR is full of knowledgeable and helpful members, who are an excellent source of information about all things firearms related.
Old August 13, 2007, 09:40 PM   #1133
sig226

I'm Bob. I use this handle on Free Republic, Ted Nugent's Talkback board, and a couple of other places. The weapon in question is carried openly when I work at a South Florida gun store on the weekends. Anything that uses a propellant and a projectile interests me. I hunt when I can, which isn't very much these days. I work on my own firearms, occasionally work on customers' weapons.

If you'd like to find me, threads on history, firearms technical stuff, and activism are good places to look. If not there, look for threads featuring quotes from Balzing Saddles, Caddyshack, or Monty Python.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1134
GRAPHIX

Joined 8/8/07 Came accross this site while GOOGLING Terry Cross and Tactical long guns photos.
Primaraly into long range precision with a tactical mindset. (not benchrest "not that in to it"). Handguns, But my eye sight lends me to optical assistance. And lets not forget Sporting Clays.
You Can Only Do So Much In CA (Til those we let RULE us tell me I can't do that anymore, because someone elses stupidity forced THEM to make up my mind for me and take my fredoms away.
So I live here so I can afford to buy all the expensive things I want (except the things I can't have, because I live in SUNNY CA(THE THINGS THEY SAY I CAN'T HAVE))
One of these days I'll pass onto hevan, and when I open my eyes and see past the beautiful light....... WELCOME TO ARIZONA, WEST VIRGINIA, KENTUCKY, or any other GOD FEARING RED BLOODED AMERICAN REPUBLICAN STATE!!!!!!
Old August 14, 2007, 01:33 AM   #1135
lorddal

well fairly new any way I am a meat on the table kind of gun guy but what with all the stuff going on in our world I am big into self defense and home protection as well my older brother was a gun dealer and started me out when i was 5 reloading and I have been doing it ever since I love my hand loads to any thing store bought . I live in the wonderful state of West Virginia and am a 911 operator married and have a 4 year old son who just started helpin the old man out with the reloading he loves to put the brass into the tumbler and then into the trays I am a hunter saftey instructor and believe that everyone should take this course even if they dont hunt just to learn the saftey portion of it your never to young or old to learn something new. I love to collect guns and edged weapons and archery equipment. as of now I only have 4 guns i use to have more but sold them once when I moved away from WV . Marlin sears and roebuck marlin model 80 .22, charles D. Hawkens .50 marlin 12 ga. and my baby A savage 110e 30-06 set up as a sniper rifle and adding to it all the time.
Old August 14, 2007, 11:23 PM   #1136
middleground

Hey everyone!

Grew up shooting and now I'm getting back into it on my own now that I have a little disposible income. I used to hunt a bit but my interests are now more focused on defense type firearms.

This is a great site and I'm glad I stumbled on it!

-Middleground
Old August 15, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1137
Float Pilot

I have being reading post from here for awhile.

Grew up in Alaska shooting and hunting.. Worked in a gunsmith shop after school from age 10 until I ran of to college and later joined the military.

Worked with weapons in the Navy for 6 years.
Then went into police work and was still an armorer and range rat.
Joined the Army reserve and did two hitches... Cav and later LRS-Det.
Then over to the Air Guard for 14 more years as a Cop/ range rat and armorer. Short stint as a flight engineer...
Retired from the State of AK with 20 years police work and also retired from the military reserves/active mix of around 29 years.

Now I teach folks to fly floatplanes and Tail-Draggers here in Alaska... When I am not shooting, hunting or reloading...
Old August 15, 2007, 06:18 AM   #1138
Nematocyst

Welcome to the new folks.
Quote:
Tail-Draggers here in Alaska...
Tail-Draggers?

And, whether you folks drag tails or not,
what'chu shootin' up there?

(Question is mostly about rifle calibers,
but curious about handguns as well ...)

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old August 15, 2007, 07:37 PM   #1139
gladiator

Welcome. I also joined recently. What I do not understand is how anyone in any country could be so ignorant as to want to ban guns. If only the criminals have them, and in some cases like in Great Britain, the police does not carry them, society is at the mercy of whoever wants to come and harm them: it leaves the decent folks open to any sort of attack, including terrorist. I own more than 10 firearms and my immediate family all know how to use them. The constitution of this country is really a jewel in this regard.
Old August 16, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1140
Roebuck

It is true that most policemen in UK do not carry a duty firearm. However, in more recent years and even after our handgun ban in 1997, more and more police are now going armed. Most visible at airports.

Roebuck

PS. The handgun ban was supposed to make us all safe, even though legally held handguns were never a real problem. It didn't. The handgun crime rate had gone up by 52% in two years (Government Figures) and has risen steadily ever since.
Old August 17, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1141
KLSTONE

Good Morning

Hello - I'm a brand new handgun user. I shot for the first time last weekend while taking an NRA sponsored course. The pistols I used were the Ruger 22/45 MarkIII (?) and a Glock 19 (9mm). I think it was the 19. I came across this site yesterday and am very impressed and interested in many of the posts. I have several concerns regarding my personal interests that I wanted to share. I am considering purchasing one of these weapons. My major concerns are that I have children in my home and although safety and security measures in my home would be paramount if I had a gun in my home, there's always concern for the safety of the children (and myself). I'm weighing the risks involved vs. the amount of time that I'm actually going to travel to the ranges in my area to practice shooting. On the other hand, I love the idea of safeguarding my home and family and I subscribe completely to the principal of the right to bear arms. I think I enjoyed the shooting on the range and I am going to go back this weekend and rent several different guns to get a better feel for the various kinds. The problem I had is that when I was shooting, a light didn't go on in my head and say "why have I waited this long to shoot - I love it" - I actually did enjoy it, and I think especially with the 22, I was fairly accurate for a first timer. I hope this doesn't sound stupid and sorry for the long post, I'm just a bit confused as to what gun and safe to purchase, and do I really need it. Thanks for listening.
Old August 17, 2007, 04:41 PM   #1142
model49

Bassackwards?

Well I started posting before I made my intro, I hope you'll forgive me but sometimes I get ahead of myself.

I came here to get some info before I bought a S&W 642. I learned a lot and today I purchsed one. I hope I learn a lot more.

Let me tell you why I had the opportunity to buy a new handgun. About a month ago some lowlife(s) broke into our home. They (it) took off with my wife's jewelry box and 4 of my firearms. My wife didn't have a fortune in jewelry but there were a lot of sentimental items there including my wedding band. I lost an XD, a Bearcat, an 870 and a 10/22. The XD and the 870 were home defense guns, that's why they were out and the .22s just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most everything else was locked up.

Anyway we got reimbursed through insurance and I've had my eye on one of these 642s for a while so I decided to buy one. I also bough a Mossberg 500 to replace the 870. It was a good day today. I've got another handgun or two that can move into the "slot" the XD filled for now.

I can't stress how important it is to record your firearms' serial numbers. The investigating officers told me that they'd guess 999 people out of 1000 involved in a burglary did not have that information. They said they often return stolen firearms that turn up even 20 years later.

But I guess I'm like a lot of you guys. I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. I have a CCW permit and carry most of the time. I enjoy talking about guns and learning about them. I try to do what's right and I enjoy a cold beer on a hot afternoon.

And I'd better get off this computer and look like I've done something today before the wife gets home!

Looking forward to meeting and learning from you.

m49
Old August 18, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1143
M_Olson

hi everyone, im not completely new here i have been lurking around for a few months getting the feel for the place, as it were (i like to get a feel for the rules etc before i start posting). anyway, the only gun i own is a glenfield/marlin model 60 that my sister gave to me. im a staunch supporter of the constitution and especially the 2nd amendment. i am looking forward to getting a gun for self defense and more than likely a CCW after i get out of school and have the time/money. i also enjoy hunting deer, waterfowl, and will hopefully be going pheasant hunting for the first time this fall (was hoping to find some public land that i could use on days off during the week, but looks like ill just have to settle for a couple trips to my aunt and uncles in wisconsin).

also, i am very excited/happy today as my fiancee just got the interview date when she will receive her visa to come here from canada and we can finally start our lives together after waiting a year for the visa to go through. YAY

you guys have a great forum here, and i look forward to being a part of it.
Old August 19, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1144
Clyde Nocar

Newbie 8-19-07

Hi, Just got my Fla CCW & a brand new SA XD 45 4" (also own a Colt Frontier Scout 22 LR & 22 Mag circ 1968) I'm thinking of a BERSA 380 CC. Any comments?
Old August 19, 2007, 08:20 PM   #1145
taterguppy

Hello,
I've been lurking here for a while and decided to take the plunge and post.
TG
Old August 19, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1146
grampster
Contributing Member

Welcome all you new members. I'm sure you'll find this to be a great place to loiter and join in on the conversation.

Make sure to PM me to get my address so that you can mail me your tribute. I'll need some 9mm, .40, 12 ga, 20 ga., and some 22LR.
Old August 19, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1147
captainstandup

Hello All

My brother just introduced me to The High Road.org, and I must admit I am embarrassed that I was unaware of its existence. I'm 44 year old Paramedic from NC and enjoy a number of sports and gun related activities. I have two sons that I am raising to be self reliant and stand up for whatís right and to know the difference. We arenít what would be considered "activists" but we do vote and support the NRA. I find immense pleasure in verbal warfare with liberals although I must admit its often not very fulfilling since most arenít armed with even a rudimentary understanding of what it means to be self reliant. Thanks for making the site available.
Old August 19, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1148
tgt_usa

After shooting now and then for 25years, I started shooting frequently for about 10 years. Then I found how much I enjoy teaching firearms, especially to beginners. Got NRA certification to teach several pistol and rifle classes. Teaching classes on the Austin, TX area.
Old August 20, 2007, 08:06 AM   #1149
Clyde Nocar

Grampster Tribute

Do you prefer FMJ or HP?
Old August 20, 2007, 08:20 AM   #1150
Clyde Nocar

Newbie Intro Continued

After not having any hunting weapons in my home for 25 or so years, I have started to "reload". (Prior 20 years : 12 Ga Winchester Auto, 16 ga Mossberg bolt action, Winchester 22 auto rifle, Colt Frontier Scout 22, 30-30 Winchester Carbine, Single shot 410 ga (Canadian honkers beware)) I've been watching a TV series called "JERICO". Basic plot is, we're bombed 7 or 8 places. The only survivors who have a real chance are the ones who had or could get weapons. That says it all for me. And, BTW, I do not like our current immigration policies!