Quantcast
New Member? Introduce yourself here (just intros, questions get answered elsewhere) - Page 51 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 9, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1251
halestrm

Hi, I have posted already in the gun info area and found out what exactly the gun I got was. I just got a '58 S&W K-38 Combat Masterpiece. I am very excited to finally have my own gun to take to the range.

My hubby and I are newbies. My Uncle in NE took us out shooting. I had forgotten how much fun it was and my husband had never shot before. We both decided this was it, we needed guns. Because of that, we got each other a gun for our anniv. I fell in love with my Uncles Ruger .38 police special, but it is out of manufacture and I couldn't find it. I tried a few different .38 and found a few that really felt good in the hand. I was hitting the target near where I was hoping to at 15 feet with a S&W 4" .38 and decided that was that.

Prior to us getting guns, we talked to our 7 year old daughter about the fact we would be bringing them in our home, and we took her to the range with us. The whole family is taking a guns safety class coming up here shortly, and our daughter will be taking classes on her own. We both have gun locks. His is a S&W MP .40 (I think I wrote that correctly). We also have a locking case.

We got the guns purely to take out target shooting. In Phoenix we have a place with 24 indoor and A/C lanes. We bought a membership prior to getting guns because we were having a blast.

We have a lot to learn, and I look forward to us learning as a family. My daughter has been shown how to tell a gun is empty and has been told to treat a gun as if it is always loaded. We have allowed her to handle the empty gun, and point out the parts on them. Still learning the names of the parts and what the function is.

I hope you guys don’t mind being patient with me as I ask q’s.

I look forward to talking with you all.
Old September 9, 2007, 08:14 PM   #1252
AKChuck

Chuck from Alaska. My wife, sons, and I live on a remote Alaskan homestead. I make a living guiding and writing magazine articles. Hope to spend some time here great site.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1253
KI.W.

From Finland I am.

Already pensioner. My wife and all my close relatives donīt like guns, but it is nevermind. I have only 14 guns. Maybe it is enough, maybe not. I like all shooting and reloading. When I am reloading in our kitchen, my wife is like bear witch bullet in hers buttom. I canīt write yuor language, but will to try. Kauko
Old September 10, 2007, 02:05 PM   #1254
fletcher

Welcome to THR newcomers

Quote:
When I am reloading in our kitchen, my wife is like bear witch bullet in hers buttom.
That's pretty funny, I'm sure there are a few members here with the same problem
Old September 10, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1255
El Tejon

Location: Lafayette, Indiana-the Ned Flanders neighbor to Illinois
KI.W, your English is fine and if you stick around your English will be highly proficient. We have many members who are not native English speakers, but we all talk gun nut here.
Old September 10, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1256
J_Dillinger

Wink

Hi there, just joined up.........

I've been shooting guns since being a part of my college pistol team back in the early 1990's. So far, I have 4 handguns and a couple of longarms. My favorite is my new purchase : Thompson 1927A-1.

Can't wait to shoot this baby. Hope to learn a lot from this forum.
Old September 10, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1257
landisbrad

hi, i just joined cause i had 2 questions to start with and came across a wealth of knowledge when i found this sight. currently between my wife and i we have 3 handguns 2 rifles and 2 shotguns. we both have concealed carry permits, and we have strong feelings about a person's right to keep and bear arms.
Old September 11, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1258
TheGunslinger

Hello all from the Lone Star State. I found this site while looking for information on my first cap and ball pistol. Lots of good information here so I decided I would stick around. My first love is millitary surplus arms, followed by everything else.
Old September 12, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1259
juantew

Question New member? Introduce yourself here

I'm pretty new here. I got introduced to this site by my Elder Brother, Cambuel41, and find it interesting.
I'm a 53 yo female, not particularly interested in target shooting or hunting, but interested in self-defense. by any means necessary (yes, I know rule number one; Don't Be There To Start With). I'm also interested in wilderness survival, random intellectual? exercise, play with TEOTWAWKI, the 2nd amendment, etc.
I dont have any rifles (again) yet, just a S&W .38, but am planning to restock my arsenal. Input welcome.
Old September 13, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1260
SGT. SHLITZ

Greetings, fellow gunpowder addicts. I am SGT. SHLITZ, and I am new to this forum. I recently purchased an M1 Garand, and as a result, I am now hooked on Mil surplus rifles. I also purchased a M2A1-7 flamethrower for home defense.
I will also buy an SKS or K98 this weekend. Anyhoo, nice to meet you guys.
Old September 13, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1261
Owen
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I also purchased a M2A1-7 flamethrower for home defense.
Does the Dept of Helath know that you haven't removed the asbestos from you home yet?
Old September 13, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1262
SGT. SHLITZ

Owen, I think I was able to hide the asbestos. I am worried about the lead-paint chips though. I used to eat them like Doritos and I have yet to experience any side effects. I also eat waaay too much red meat. Perhaps I need to buy me one of those Tae-Bo tapes.
Old September 13, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1263
slchvac

SLC Guy

Hello everyone been lurking for a couple of weeks. I'm far from a pro on guns. Trying to learn a few things on the site. I own a couple of pistols, a 12 gauge 870, a 270, a Martin bow, and a .223 handy rifle. Nothing to extreme here. I do alot of outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, and atv riding. From the plains and now live in the rockies with my wife and daughter.
Old September 13, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1264
Stoneface

Howdy

Well,my lurking days are over. I'm a mid 50's shooter(rifle and pistol),reloader,and certified gun nut. I've followed THR for a while and enjoy it. Thanks for having me.
Old September 14, 2007, 01:00 AM   #1265
Mom

Hope I am doing this right.

I have never done this before so I hope this is right. I am trying to decide if I should get a Colt Defender 45 ACP or a S&W CS45. I am a woman and want to use this for a defense gun and to target shoot. I will try both of these guns but I have owned guns in the past and know people who are using them know how good they are. So can someone tell me the + and - of each of these guns.
Thank you

P.S. How do I know if anyone will answer this post? As I said I have never posted anywhere before so I really do not know how this works!

Last edited by Mom; September 14, 2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: another question
Old September 14, 2007, 01:07 AM   #1266
yesit'sloaded

Guess I never made a formal introduction. I'm a 19 year old engineering student that got tired of having to answer the question my user name answers. It doesn't do any good without rounds in it, does it?

http://ConcealedCampus.org
Old September 14, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1267
Ben Russell

Hi everyone, I am a new member as of 9-13-2007 and since then i have seen all kinds of good info on THR.
I have been a Cop in Idaho for 4 years and in that time i have shot a lot of really cool guns. I have seen even more that we have seized and recovered.
I am working on opening a Gun Shop and i want to deal in handguns mostly.
I would also like to deal in different pieces that are rare and unusual.
I look forward to talking with everyone on the best topic there is, GUNS.
Old September 14, 2007, 12:17 PM   #1268
MASTEROFMALICE

Must have missed this when I signed up.

I'm a 31 year-old living in Virginia. I've been a cop for five years, was a college student for four years before that and a Marine four years before that.

I've been shooting since I was seven. My off-duty gun is a Kimber Tactical Custom II and I carry a department-issued HK USP .40 on duty in addition to my own Mossberg 590.

I've always liked plinking and have a 10/22 with close to 50,000 rounds through it. The Corp got me interested in precision rifle marksmanship. Lately, most likely because of my job, I've really gotten into combat-type shooting .
Old September 14, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1269
Art Eatman
Administrator

Welcome, alla y'all! We try to run a halfway decent little forum, here.

Art
Old September 14, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1270
fredgwen

fast freddy

I live in wy. love to hunt and fish and shoot mainley long rifles. i own approx 30 guns and I just purchased a Weatherby vanguard in 300 wsm and looking for a good load aince I reload and want to use this for elk and mule deer. Can anyone help me?
Old September 15, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1271
John Gault

My weapon of choice is the GAU-17 Dillon minigun. Oleg, that should let you know who I am. Ten points to the person that identifies my screen name reference.

"Who is John Gault"?
Old September 15, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1272
BullfrogKen
Moderator Pluribus

You'll find a lot of Ayn Rand fans here, John.

NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Across-the-Course
NRA Expert - Highpower Rifle, Mid-Range Prone

Love THR? Help support it (and never see advertisements again) by becoming a Contributing Member.
http://www.thehighroad.org/payments.php
Old September 15, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1273
John Gault

Apologies

I saw that much later in a different thread, Mr. Ken, and I apologized in that thread for my redundancy. It's good to meet you.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Old September 16, 2007, 01:06 AM   #1274
Lonestar49

Arrow Welcome MOM

Quote Mom: P.S. How do I know if anyone will answer this post? As I said I have never posted anywhere before so I really do not know how this works!
-----------------

Welcome Mom,

Your Posted question about which gun to get, both being semi-autos, got moved to the "Tools and Technologies" section below, listed on the main home page in the "Handguns: Autoloaders" section, first page midway down.

Good luck, don't be to intimidated, it's a big forum, but you'll get the hang of it, give it time.

LS

Beretta
SIG
Springfield
7 German Shepherds ~ RIP

~ Be the person your dog thinks you are ~

(OO) Lost but making good time
Old September 17, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1275
stremph

Hi.

I'm Joe. I shot a lot as a kid, then I became a teenager and didn't want to hang out with my dad anymore, and since he was the guy with the guns, I stopped shooting. Spent a few years in the Army Guard, realized during the first day of BRM just how much I loved shooting and how much I missed it.

Currently own:
-Mossberg 500 20ga.
-Marlin/Glenfield 60 .22LR
-AR-15 build (DPMS Lower w/M1S 16" CAR Upper)
-Ruger Mk.II

Anyway. Glad to be here. I've lurked for 'bout two years now and have gotten a lot of useful, helpful info off THR.

Oh, and I'm shooting with my dad again these days. Good stuff.