Quantcast
Ultra sonic cleaner for firearms - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 15, 2015, 07:35 PM   #1
joem1945

Ultra sonic cleaner for firearms

I just started using my ultra sonic cleaner on my gun parts and pistols. It works great and get the dirt, carbon and other stuff out way better than I could. Wish I could afford a really large one they work so well.
Old May 16, 2015, 07:26 PM   #2
AZ_Rebel

While Ultra Sonic Cleaners work well on most finishes, certain types of plating can be damaged by them. Robar, for example, warns against the use of Ultra Sonic cleaners for their NP3.
Old May 17, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3
4v50 Gary

I'd love to have one.
Old June 12, 2015, 03:30 PM   #4
Fuego

I put an old Remington 870 Wingmaster aluminum trigger assembly in my ultrasonic cleaner with a tablespoon of laundry detergent. It cleaned and degreased the trigger assy, but also removed almost all the paint.

Alumahyde II made it right, but I was surprised to see the bare aluminum come out of the tank.
Old June 12, 2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Jim K

Yes, you have to know what is going in, but those sonic baths are great in a shop. Properly cleaning a gun like the Browning Auto 5 can take an hour the old way; with the sonic tank, you take off the wood, throw in the gun and flip the switch. In a couple of minutes, the gun is clean.

Jim
Old June 14, 2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Peter M. Eick

Yeah, I regret not getting even bigger one today. Mine takes a gallon and a half and you can pretty much do any handgun in it even my 8 3/8" Pre-27's. It would be nice to be able to do a O/U shotgun or a barreled action without having the barrel hang out.

I don't use mine ever ytime, but every time that I do I think "man is this thing great!".

Just putzy for one gun. You really need to do 4 or 5 to make it worth setting up and changing the fluids.
Old June 14, 2015, 03:44 PM   #7
Jim K

Rereading my previous post #5, make that 3+ hours for an Auto 5. Done right, you have to take off the buttstock and forearm; clean the spring tube; clean out the receiver; disassemble the bolt and clean it; clean the trigger group, disassemble it if any of the parts have rust or need real crud removed; clean the barrel; remove the magazine spring and clean the mag. tube; clean the choke, if any. And then put it all back together, test fire, and then clean the barrel again. Yep, at least three hours.

Jim
Old June 14, 2015, 11:30 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

They have been used in the clock repair business for over 40 years that I know of. Considering that clock movements are a lot more delicate than guns I would think it would be safe to use them on guns except for certain finish issues. My in-laws used the ones that were the size of a french fryer, the baskets were about 15" long x 7" wide X 9" deep in the repair part of their clock business.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 3-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp, 44 Rogers&Spencer, 44 1860
Old June 15, 2015, 08:55 AM   #9
joem1945

I use mine to clean any gun or parts that fit in it. I use a mixture of diesel fuel, Koil,red ATF and Hoppies # 9. Do not heat about 100F, might flash fire I guess. Remove wood or grips and drop in. Let drain and wipe down.