Quantcast
.222 Rem rechambered to .223 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #1
Catpop

.222 Rem rechambered to .223

I've got a chance at a used 721 Rem in 222.
Question: Can a .222 Rem be rechambered to .223 using a finishing die only (not barrel setback). It looks like it can, but I wanted the threads opinion/experience. I'm not sure if the difference of the shoulder will be resolved by the extra length of the case body.
Please don't respond with "WHY". I know the 222 is a great cartridge, just don't need another caliber to deal with.
thanks, catpop
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #2
MachIVshooter

I wouldn't.

.222 has a shoulder that is .003" wider and .174 further back, and the .223 case has a .84* total taper (.42* per side); you'd end up with a pretty good step in the chamber
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #3
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Yes, I think it can.

But the problem you will run into is the rifling twist rate.

The rifle is actually a Model 722 if it is a factory chambered .222.
And it has 1/14 rifling twist, which is to slow to stabilize much over 50 grain Spitzer bullets.

Typical .223 bullets weights could not be used in it.

rc
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #4
Catpop

Thanks rc, I hadn't even thought of the twist! I need to do a little more research.
Yuz guys is great!
Catpop
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #5
Kp321

It will work, I did several a few years back. They worked well with the 55 gr bullets that were all that was available then. I personally have three 222's that won't be re chambered. Nothing wrong with the 222 and I have scads of brass.