Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 111 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 13, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2751
Nematocyst

Great story, David. Thanks for sharing.

(I confess that I thought you were going to end the story by saying that you took the scope off and made 1 ragged hole. )

Please let us know what happens at 100.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old March 22, 2011, 11:54 AM   #2752
blarby
Contributing Member

Ooooo

Think I can get in ? ! ? !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336.jpg (153.1 KB, 45 views)

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old March 22, 2011, 11:59 AM   #2753
Nematocyst

Welcome to the club, Blarby.

Is that a 336W? New or had it for a while?

Just a minor curiosity: why are those
two rounds near the front of the stock carrier pushed up?

No criticism, just curious.

Old March 22, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2754
336A

Good evening fellow 30-30 lovers, here something that might interest a few of you folks here. Here is a nice write up done on penetration and chrono results of some popular 170gr ammo, enjoy.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...36466.html#new
Old March 22, 2011, 07:42 PM   #2755
JustsayMo

336A, thanks for the link. OUTSTANDING article! Pretty much affirms what we've seen done on critters over the years - the 30-30 is very capable game gitter with ample expansion (.5" +) and deep penetration.
Old March 22, 2011, 08:46 PM   #2756
Nematocyst

Great to see you, 336A. I'll echo Mo: outstanding article. Concise, well-written.

And this:

Quote:
All three types of .30-30 ammo tested produced that amount of penetration,
which is greater than I've seen with some .45/70 and .375 H&H hunting ammo!

Old March 22, 2011, 09:39 PM   #2757
451 Detonics

This was a winter time project, came to me with a badly repaired broken stock, no rear sight stripped out scope mount screws...basic basket case...

Old March 22, 2011, 09:57 PM   #2758
Abel

451, that would be a perfect rifle if you'd put on a real recoil pad. Otherwise a 10. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 22, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2759
451 Detonics

I am still figuring out what is going to be the best length of pull on that rifle. It will serve as a car gun and I will have to try with everything from a t-shirt to a heavy coat to get it right for all seasons. Once I figure it out I will likely add a good pad.
Old March 23, 2011, 12:30 AM   #2760
blarby
Contributing Member

The two rounds that are "topped up" are my HD rounds...
170 gr Cor-Lokt 5mm Bore HPs ( a personal creation )

I keep em that way for easy grabbin.

Yes, it is a 336W. Weaver see through rings, Prostaff 3-9X40.

Old March 23, 2011, 10:05 AM   #2761
mdauben

Quote:
This was a winter time project, came to me with a badly repaired broken stock, no rear sight stripped out scope mount screws...basic basket case...
Handsome looking gun, 451 Detonics! You did a really nice job bringing that one back.

Election 2014: When you vote, remember how your Congressmen and women voted on the issues important to you.
Old April 1, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2762
Sheepdog1968

Hi All,

I just got back from taking a 4 day rifle course at FrontSight. I had gone about 10 months ago but mostly shot with my mini-14 (a friend made me worry that a lever action may not be suitable). This time I took my Marlin 336C. The instructor called it affectionately a "cow gun" which brought a smile to my face.

Mine has a 16.75" barrel, Leuold 2.5x scout scope, and I was shooting exclusively Hornady LeverEvolution ammo (yes it was pricey but that's what I run through it & I wanted to see what the ammo could do).

I had lots of fun in this class with my lever action. Round count I still need to calculate but I likely shot around 300 rounds (should is fine as I wasn't shooting off a bench). I was the only non-semi auto in the class but that was fine. Outside of one single firing string on day one, the ammo capacity was a non-issue. The biggest issue was a mixture of thumb getting sore from loading (though sports tape helped quite a bit) and the checkered stock irratating my hands over 4 days of constant use.

I had a lot of fun and my lever action held it's own. There are a few key memories I will have of this training.

1. When we shot at 400 yards, I hit the 24"x24" steel 4 out of 5 times. I was very happy with myself. Our instructor Roland said I was "making that cow gun proud." I use a 200 yard zero and I think I had a 1 to 2 foot hold over at that distance but it was kind of hard to tell for sure.
2. At one point we were doing an emergency close contact drill (3 yards) in which you fire by having gun butt tucked under right arm and firing from that position. When I did this the second time, the blast caused the paper target to come unloose from the staples and crumple to the ground like I'd killed the target. It was very funny as the target come off like it slummped over and then fell to the ground. Everyone got a really good laugh and then cheered on the cow gun. No one else had this happen.

All in all, I had a really good time at Frontsight. Roland is an excellent instructor and kept us laughing as we were learning.

I do plan to go back again with my lever aciton.

The reason I took the lever action was two-fold:
1. I really like my lever action so why not.
2. Since I like it, I travel quite a bit with it as a to visit out of state friends for some social shooting. Often it is my only long arm. As such, I thought it would be good to get some formal training with it.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old April 1, 2011, 05:06 PM   #2763
336A

Nice shooting sheepdog glad you were able to represented us levergunners so well too. So do you have a pic of the "Cow Gun" you could share with us?
Old April 1, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2764
Badlander

451 Detonics
Sweet Rifle. Very nice wood. What caliber? What year?
Old April 1, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2765
JustsayMo

Sheepdog - That is AWESOME! Thanks for representing!

Nothing quite like showing up with a "brush gun" and ringing the long range steel.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2766
Walkalong

Update on my .35 Remington manufactured in 1981. I installed one of the Vortex 2X7X32 BDC recticle scopes that were on sale at SWFA. I like it. I can't wait to take it hunting next year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 336 .35 Remington - Vortex 2X7X32 Pic 1.JPG (72.6 KB, 412 views)

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:07 PM   #2767
Nematocyst

Sheep, big ups!!!!

Walkalong, looking forward to a range report.

Old April 2, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2768
Nematocyst

Double tap.

Old April 3, 2011, 01:44 AM   #2769
blarby
Contributing Member

And with the bipod attachment, I think its finally bastardized enough to be done.

Original ? Oh heavens no.... Functional ? They devil may tell you otherwise, but I wouldn't trade it for its weight in gold
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bipod.jpg (138.6 KB, 71 views)

Old April 3, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2770
RyMan

I'm in the club

Just wanted to say vie been reading this thread to make a decision on a gun and ended up with a marlin 336w 30-30. I got it for 300.00 at a pawn shop. It is a 2007 very clean. Love this thread and I'm glad to be a part of it. It's my funnest gun to shoot, makes me think about reloading......... I live in Portland OR. There is just something about the thought of hunting blacktail in the Coast range here in Oregon with a lever action 30-30. Anyone reload 30-30, kind of looking for an average cost per round in 170 grain....

Thanks
Old April 3, 2011, 01:43 PM   #2771
Walkalong

Cost per round? Handloaders don't care.

Just do it.

Lets see. My fired brass plus range pickups = free brass. Powder is around a dime a round (+/-) Primers are around 3 cents or less. Bullets are about a 25 to 30 cents apiece.

.10+.03+.30= 43 cents or so. Round it to 45 cents and it's $9.00 a box of 20.

When you have to buy brass (55 cents each) figure 5 plus loadings so another .10 per round.

55 cents per round is still around $11.00 a box.

Less than $100 will get you reloading .30-30. Figure that cost as money well spent towards the relaxing therapy that reloading brings.

Welcome to the forum and the 336 Club RyMan

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old April 3, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2772
336A

Blarby that is a first for me, as in first time I've ever seen a bipod on a levergun. How does that set up work for you?
Old April 3, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2773
RyMan

Thanks for the info, I tie flies for fishing and so I can relate to the therapeutic advantage from that.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:29 AM   #2774
Sheepdog1968

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I definitely had a good time shooting at 400 yards. Sorry but I don't have any digital photos of my 336.

I can describe it in a bit more detail. It started life as a 336C (would have bought a 336Y if they were available at the time). After shooting it for a while in stock config, I realized that I really really liked my lever aciton. I sent it off to Brockman to have some work done it it. I had the barrel cut to 16.75" (spec I gave was 16.5" +/- a quarter inch). It went from 6+1 capacity to 5+1 capacity which is fine since it's mostly a hunting and social rifle. When I travel with it, it's typically my only long arm but I usually have a semi-auto pistol as well. Between the two I feel that I have more than enough self defense capability.

I had Brockman's slightly larger lever loop (big not a huge John Wayne one) installed (factory one just felt a bit too tight for my hands). I had the lever action smoothed inside and out and he went over it to make sure it fed ammo optimially. I left the trigger stock (I don't like to mess with triggers on firearms and have rarely done so). I had the XS sights put on it and zero'd them at 50 yards. I have a Leupold 2.5X scout scope on it. As for the sling, I went with the Galco Safari CW (Ching Sling). It's a pretty sling and I understand it is supposed to let you slign up quicker in the field. So far, I haven't found myself able to really benefit from quick mounting of the sling. I will likely leave it on but I could just as easily see putting a nylon USGI slign on it. I like the simply nylon USGI slings.

I bought a spare wooden forend from Marlin. I want to slim down the wooden foreend so that it is a uniform diameter. I'm guessing I can go with the thickness in front of the metal band for the whole foreend. Has anyone done this and do you have any tips? It looks straightforward enough but I am open to input.

As I said, I really like my 336. I didn't expect to fall in love with it when I bought but I did. This was a delightful surpirse.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/

Last edited by Sheepdog1968; April 4, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old April 4, 2011, 01:00 AM   #2775
blarby
Contributing Member

@ 336 : It wrks very well for me, and horribly for my wife. I tried it today extensively and loved it. She said to take it off and give her her sandbags back.

Looks like its going to go on my .22lr bolt action. Also a Marlin. Excellent rifle- 1.5" groups at 150+ yds all day.

@ ryman : I reload A TON of .30-30. Using bullets from MBC I can make satisfying rounds for 15 cents a piece. Paper- punchers, but fun none-the-less.

165 gr cast whitetail @ .311 diameter
7.2 grs of unique
CCI Large Rifle primers

I can make high quality jacketed hunting rounds for 43 cents a piece at my last purchasing prices.

150 gr Round Nose Or 140 Gr Flat nose HP's I modify myself.
30.5 gr H4895 powder
CCI Large rifle primers

Last edited by blarby; April 4, 2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: bullet