Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 112 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 19, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2776
Badlander

BTT
With A pic of the almost twins. Top is A 1957, shorty is A 1955.

Keepin it alive.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:35 PM   #2777
Nematocyst

I've been MIA.
Uber busy trying to earn a living.

Good to see the club breathing.

Carry on.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old April 20, 2011, 04:07 PM   #2778
Badlander

Nem
Stop workin so hard and go out shooting!
Old April 21, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2779
dstegjas

I have always been a big fan of the Marlin lever guns. Unfortuniately we can't hunt any big game with them here in Ohio. So it's just target shooting for now. The picture shows what Marlins I have in the gun safe so far.

Jim
Old April 26, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2780
wottiv

How much would YOU pay?

What would be your top dollar for a 336CB 30-30 99% with original box and papers?
Old April 26, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2781
JustsayMo

I've seem em go for a pretty penny >$1K on GunBroker. 30-30 is the rarer of the 336 Cowboy offerings. If'n I didn't have one I'd expect to pay more than $750 and anything less than that would be a Good deal in my estimation. they haven't made em for more than a decade and if they ever make them again (which I doubt) they'll be made in Illion, NY not New Haven like they were for more than a Century.

Of the 336's I own or rotated through my safe the Cowboys are my favorites.

Old April 26, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2782
wottiv

wow-

Now THAT is a nice collection!!! I have been keeping an eye on gunbroker for a while, and have not seen one come up for auction. The last one was over a year ago... just wondering if I should drop mine yet-
Old May 5, 2011, 10:47 PM   #2783
BrocLuno

Talking Finally ...

I got mine put back together. Bought as used beat Pawn Shop gun with home grown "varathane" or something you could peel off with your fingernail Got it home and looked at the poor thing for a long while. Thought about how I'd fix it up

The sights were all busted off to make room for the scope. Had a one piece Weaver flat rail with oblong screw holes, but the receiver screw holes were OK (Phew). The blueing was all gone and the screw heads were slightly buggered.

I stripped and sanded the stock being careful not to undercut the metal. I went after the barrel and magazine tube with emery cloth. Used JB Weld to fill the safety warning printing all over the side of the barrel. Left the Marlin and 30-30 roll stamp. Filed the remainder of the rear sight base to barrel contour and shot it all with John Deere muffler black. Next time I knock it apart, it'll get a semi-gloss black KG GunKote job, but I don't have my full length oven up and running yet, so I used the paint for a color check. I like it

Still need to get a rear sling stud and it's ready
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_1-L.jpg (36.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_2-R.jpg (38.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_3-B.jpg (51.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_4-Barrel.jpg (45.5 KB, 24 views)
Old May 5, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2784
BrocLuno

Smile If it's a brush gun, it needs a low scope ...

So I started fooling around with various scopes from my modest collection. Was planning to put a 2.5 Weaver on it, but it set back too far (in your face). Way back when I got these ultra low profile Apache scopes without turrets. I was originally planning to use one on this rifle, but somewhere along the way I got drawn to the standard Weaver. I also thought about a Red Dot? I have one for it, but finally decided against it. Futzing with scopes and low and behold - the Apache fits perfectly, just like I had planned years ago. So there it is. Adjustment by two small O ring sealed screw heads on the top plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_Apache.jpg (52.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 336_Apache2.jpg (40.6 KB, 17 views)
Old May 7, 2011, 12:48 AM   #2785
blarby
Contributing Member

I personally don't think a "brush gun" mandates a low scope.

Looks good though ! Great builds and restores on the previous 2 levers !

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old May 7, 2011, 01:05 PM   #2786
Walkalong

Nor do I.

"Oh bother" said Pooh, as he chambered another round. Author unknown.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2787
Nematocyst

BL, it's beautiful work. Congrats on a fine job.

I gotta agree about the scope though. I think I'm not going to put one on, especially once I get it cut down. (For how many years have I been saying I was going to. Maybe this year my finances will bring me out of poverty so that I can.)

I'll opt for a set of Skinner peeps, me thinks.

Old May 8, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2788
BrocLuno

Not much choice on mine as the previous owner had beat the irons off with a hammer. It's a scope gun for sure. I'll get another for irons when one shows up cheap.

The stock took a lot of work. Proably 10 coats of TrueOil after stripping the old goo. Topped that with Helmsman Semi-gloss Spar Varnish (spray can) because it's such a unique silky feel. Everyone that feels that wood wants to know what it is?

Prefit Decelerator to make the LOP a little longer for us gorilla arm guys
Old May 8, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2789
Nematocyst

Quote:
Not much choice on mine as the previous owner had beat the irons off with a hammer.
Broc, the Skinner sights use the same holes on the receiver that a scope does. (Rears.)

Old May 8, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2790
Col. Plink

Glad to say I can join this swanky club (though I swore I'd never join one that would have me as a member).

I picked this one up on a whim; I was almost sure I'd never own a lever-action, but the opportunity presented itself and I'm glad I went with it.

ser# R21xxx What date does that make it? (apologies if I've asked something listed above, that's quite an archive and I've only just joined!)

The natural balance and compact weight distribution makes for what the rest of you have known for awhile. I love the way the more it's loaded the more balanced recoil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (243.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (237.1 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Col. Plink; May 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:00 PM   #2791
BrocLuno

Very nice
Old May 9, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2792
Badlander

Col Plink
Old May 9, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2793
Sheepdog1968

I want to get a big brother for my 336. Have any of you had any sucess in finding 45-70 1895s? Especially the SBL model (stainless with a grey black laminate stock; it will be used as a hunting rifle)? I know there are other more suited threads but I tend to do most of my lever action writing in this thread.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old May 10, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2794
Col. Plink

With a micro-groove barrel as old as mine, is there danger of wearing out or tell-tale signs I should look for? Thanks!
Old May 10, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2795
Badlander

Col Plink
Not sure what to tell you. My 1957 SC has micro groove and shoots great.
My 1955 SC shorty 16" may shoot even better. Ballard rifling.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:10 PM   #2796
BrocLuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
Broc, the Skinner sights use the same holes on the receiver that a scope does. (Rears.)
Yeah, but if you look close you'll see the front is gone too
Old May 11, 2011, 02:41 AM   #2797
blarby
Contributing Member

@ pink : Best way to find out is by forcing a soft lead bullet full length through the barrel.

This will give you the minimum diameter of your rifling.

Then, take another and force it in roughly one inch....then take a dowel and gently tap it back out.

This will give you your most likely area of wear, and where most of us get barrels that are "shot out"

In the event either is significantly out of spec, you are not out of luck ! : If your full length pushed lead still contains significant rifling, brad at MBC will be happy to ( I hope he's not swearing at me for saying so) custom size within reason bullets of a larger diameter for you to use.

If you havent a few soft lead .309-.311 bullets to use, PM me your address and I will happily send you a few.

Hope this helps !

The Reloading section Pay it Forward thread. Here
Old May 11, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2798
BrocLuno

Sheepdog - what about a Marlin in 444? That ought to be a bit easier to find on a used rack?
Old May 11, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2799
Nematocyst

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but if you look close you'll see the front is gone too
Ah, yeah, didn't catch that.

Yah, that makes a difference.

Any chance to get a smith to re-tap it?

Old May 12, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2800
Sheepdog1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrocLuno View Post
Sheepdog - what about a Marlin in 444? That ought to be a bit easier to find on a used rack?
It has definately crossed my mind. I think I will wait for the 45-70 though as I want the classic cartridge. My current two hunting rifles are 30-30 and 30-06. I want to be able to say if folks ask my what caliber I like to hunt with I can say "we could be having this conversation literally 100 years ago...). Yes it's a bit silly.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/