Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 118 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 15, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2926
mdauben

Quote:
1955 336SC in its new clothes. Cut to 16" Skinner sights, XS scout rail, Leatherwood 2-7 Scout scope, Burris QR rings
Nice set-up! Well done update of an old classic.

Election 2014: When you vote, remember how your Congressmen and women voted on the issues important to you.
Old October 18, 2011, 12:10 PM   #2927
SwissArmyDad

what kind of range does that setup likely have with good ammo? (hornady, etc)

Still reach out to 200-300yards with some care?
Old October 18, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2928
Sheepdog1968

I have a rifle with a similar barrel length to Badlanders. I can shoot it all day from 0-200 yards and feel confident on where it will hit. Once, I had an opportunity to shoot at steel out at 400 yards (I'd never shoot that far at an animal). I hit it 4 out of 5 times on the 2'x2' steel.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old October 18, 2011, 02:11 PM   #2929
SwissArmyDad

10-4. thanks for the info.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2930
Badlander

Swissarmydad...When you build your lever scout take A look at the Leatherwood Scout Scope. I like this one very well. I have A leupold Scout on my 45-70 and I like this better.
Nice glass for the money.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2931
SwissArmyDad

Thanks for the info, found it at midway:http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/761...-reticle-matte

Man! That is a good deal less expensive than the leopold's I've been seeing. I've got no ego when it comes to tools or guns: If it works @ the $100.00 price point, why pay more than you need to??

Thanks for the great suggestion.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:07 PM   #2932
Badlander

I know it's not A leupold but you can buy all the other stuff you want for your new rifle with the money saved on the scope. And it seems to be A good scope.
Old October 18, 2011, 08:17 PM   #2933
flhtcuibyhd

Advice on 1949 336RC in 32 Win Spec

This rifle was handed down to me and it is in excellent condition. I would like to take it deer hunting this year, but prefer to hunt with a scope. This rifle is not tapped, which is my dilema. If I have it tapped, will it ruin its value? Are there any other options avaliable?
Old October 18, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2934
JustsayMo

I've never regretted the extra $ I spend on a Leupold with good rings. Good scope, poor rings is bad economy.

I like the Scout setup for scoping a levergun. For backup irons I like the Skinner sights better than the Williams (required a higher front post too).

My Leverscout rivaled my bolt guns for accuracy.

Old October 18, 2011, 08:31 PM   #2935
Badlander

Williams peep sight. mounts in the 2 holes in the left side. I would not D&T A family heirloom. The peeps will be much more accurate than the factory sights.
Old October 18, 2011, 08:35 PM   #2936
JustsayMo

Agree with Badlander Don't mess with stuff they don't make anymore.

Learn to shoot the irons. They've worked for centuries on all sorts a critters.
Old October 19, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2937
flhtcuibyhd

Thanks. I will check out the Williams sights. The problem with the stock setup is that it shoots 8-12 inches off vertically even with the rear adjustment piece completely removed.

I'll get a picture up, as soon as I figure that out.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2938
Badlander

shooting low?
Old October 21, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2939
russde

So I've decided I need to go deer hunting. I grew up in San Diego and never did more than plink at birds; I have lived in Texas for better than 9 years (not including a 3 year stint in Albuquerque, returning to almost the same neighborhood) have multiple friends that hunt (darn near everybody does here) and just feel that I need to learn how it's done, start to finish (skin/process etc).
Researching 'best' calibers led me to THR and I found this thread. Hmm, sound like a great gun, inexpensive, good round, reasonable ammo cost, and if I don't like it there is a huge market for it.
Mentioned all this to a close friend, who I have been shooting skeet/trap with for ~4 years...he's got a 336 in .35 Remington in his safe that he picked up at a local shop (scoped) for $350 and he'd be happy to let me have it for the same price! Sweet.
So...a few questions. He's told me that it has the shorter magazine.
1) Did all the .35 Rem's come like this?
2) How many does it hold?
3) Could it be changed out for a larger magazine, and if yes, would it be 'worth' it?
It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get to the range with this, and I'll need to pick up some ammo to try out, any suggestions? I know that each rifle likes different ammo, but are there 'better' choices?
Thanks,
Russel
Old October 21, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2940
mnhntr

Got one in .35 remington
Old October 21, 2011, 06:26 PM   #2941
Badlander

russde.... You did not say what the barrel length is. Sounds like A 336 SC 20" or 336A. 24" It will say on the barrel. $350 for either in good condition is A good deal. I have 4 SCs and have never even seen one in .35 rem If you want A longer mag it would be easier to find A 336 RC than it would be to change that one.
I have A 1957 SC pictured A few posts back. Does it look like it?
Old October 21, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2942
russde

LOL, thanks for the reply Badlander, I'm laughing because I haven't seen the rifle yet. this is a good enough friend that, if he says it's in good shape, I'll show up with the money and ask questions later.
I'm going to pick it up Sunday, so I should have details (and pics) Monday to post.
Cheers,
Russ
I've already got a friend at work offering to take me 'hog' hunting soon.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2943
jwsracin

i got a 336 , early 80's , but i've always had it scoped. i just recently looked into putting a good set of sights on it, but i've noticed that my front sight is canted to the left a little. is there something i can do or do i need to have a smith fill the factor holes and redrill them? Oh and by the way i will never part with this rifle, it is the best handling and the most accurate rifle i own, and now with the leverevalutions it goes on every hunt.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2944
jwsracin

Old October 27, 2011, 03:42 PM   #2945
El Mariachi

All I know about 336's that come in .35 Rem?.....is that the folks over on the Marlin Owners forum go absolutely ga-ga over them.

I think I'm gonna put one on my bucket list.....
Old November 1, 2011, 08:59 PM   #2946
Nematocyst

Good to see this club still ticking.

Life has been well beyond hard for me for the last year, so I've spent little time here. Not lack of interest, just lack of time and energy. But it's great to see the 336 still up in lights here.

Keep it up. I'll check in when I can, after I get my professional feet back on the ground.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old November 1, 2011, 09:24 PM   #2947
Abel

I am glad when this thread appears at the top. I always look forward to seeing what someone has found used and put a cleaning rag to. Old made in Japan Tasco or Bushnell 4x32mm scopes on top really look great in my opinion. When I started deer hunting as a kid back in the 1980's, everybody had a Marlin 336 and a Browning Light-12 or A-5. Ahh, the good old days!
Old November 5, 2011, 05:04 PM   #2948
russde

Finally got some pictures of 'my' new .35 336

Life intervened in my purchase plans so it took about two weeks longer than I anticipated to hook up with my buddy and make a deal on the 336 he had (mentioned a few posts up).
Here she is:

The serial number indicates it was built in 1970 and from my limited knowledge of barrel condition it really wasn't shot that much. I picked it up along with one box of Remington ammo and a bag of 100 new brass for $320 which is exactly what my friend paid for it. I measured the barrel from tip to receiver and it is 19 1/2".
I left it at his house until I can buy a better lockable storage, I've already got 2 shotguns living in cases in my attic. Should be able to go fire it next weekend at a friends ranch.
Let me know what you all think of my find.
Thanks,
Russel
Old November 5, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2949
Badlander

Very nice! Enjoy it. You did well.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:23 PM   #2950
possom813

A buddy of mine from work brought by a 336 today that belonged to his great grandpa.

Serial # showed that I was holding a 1953 model

He inherited it in 1992 and it's been in his storage building since then

Miraculously, it didn't have any major rust, no pitting. About a half hour with 4/0 steel wool and it was looking the way it was supposed to.

Put the brass rod into the end of the barrel and it dropped down about 4 inches and stopped.

I opened the slide/receiver and tried to look down the barrel only to discover a dead dirt dauber in the chamber.

So, not knowing exactly how plugged up the barrel was, I built a 'drill' bit with a welding rod and a really long drill bit that I found in my shop. I used it by hand to 'drill' through the plug, luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought.

So, after about 2 hours worth of cleaning and rust removal it was finally gorgeous again.

He didn't know what he had and brought all 3 that he inherited to me to clean up for him.

The other two, Remington 1100 20ga with factory engraving in about as bad a shape as the 336, manufactured in 1965 and a Colt Police Positive Special in .38 that, the best I could find, was made in 1941. The Colt was in surprisingly good shape, not a spec of rust or wear on it, doesn't look like it was fired more than a handful of times. Everything locked up tight on it, I did my dangdest to talk him out of the 336 and the Colt, but he has no interest in parting with them.

So a few hours, bbq, and gun cleaning, along with instructions on how to keep them looking, and functioning, the way they need to