Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 123 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 4, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3051
Irish Bird Dog

at a gun show today in small WI town the Marlin 336's were nearly all a bit over $300 mark some nearly $400.....run of the mill hunting guns....don't know how that would equate to where you are.....all pistol grip styles....
Old February 4, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3052
Abel

Quote:
I stopped by a local gun shop to caress some future purchases today and when I told the sales guy that I heard that Marlin was producing the 336Y again and I asked him if they had one. He said sure and proceded to hand me a 336W??????? I corrected him and he looked at me like I was an idiot and that even though this did have a W on it the rifle was still a youth model????????
Don't always put so much value on what a Marlin has stamped on the barrel. Many Marlins have mismatched parts. The actual configuration and dimensions will dictate what models it is. If he handed you a 336W with the short 16.25" barrel and the shorter LOP stock, it was a 336Y.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3053
Salmoneye

Quote:
Can anyone explain to me just what is a RC Marauder vs a Texan in the Marlin 336 line up? Seems they are both straight grip types & otherwise the same in outward appearances.
All Straight Grip 336 are 'Texans'...The 'Marauder' is a Texan with a 16.25" barrel that was made early 60's......
Old February 18, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3054
fordisto

Just saw the 336 sub forum.

Posted in another thread, but I think it fits here.

336RC .35 Rem.

Old February 19, 2012, 08:58 AM   #3055
JustsayMo

GREAT photos Fordisto. I'm betting that isn't the first meat that rifle has made.
Old February 19, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3056
carlo1776

What a beautifull animal. Where did you take him?
Old February 19, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3057
Numeric

I'm in: My 336 R.C. in .30-30 made in 1958.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin336.jpg (143.6 KB, 70 views)
Old February 19, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3058
snakeman

Todisto, that is the epitome of the perferct whitetail rifle!
Old February 19, 2012, 10:22 PM   #3059
fordisto

Carlo1776,

It is a central NC deer.
Old February 21, 2012, 02:47 PM   #3060
627PCFan

My recent refinish project.

Link: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=644216
Old February 22, 2012, 02:04 AM   #3061
TIMx13

Thank you!

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the incredible amount of information in this thread! This is my introduction, but also my thank you for the longest and most informative thread I have ever encountered in any forum on any topic on the interwebs! Special thanks should go out to PapaJohn, Mo, and Nematocyst for their ongoing commitment to this thread! (There are others, and I apologize for missing you, but those are the names that stuck!)

I inherited a 1974 336 from my father when he passed in 1995, and until this week I didn't realize I could load it for anything other than deer sized game. My hunting is relegated to public land at this point, which limits my deer hunts to bow only. After seeing PapaJohn's posts, my excitement level is through the roof about the possibility of actually doing something useful (squirrel, rabbit, and varmint hunting) with dad's rifle! Reloading equipment will definitely come as soon as Uncle Sam gives me my money back this year...

Thanks again to the reloaders, especially PapaJohn, as well as everyone who had contributed to this 30/30 thread! I love the pics, the descriptions, the links, and the incredible wealth of information you've all contributed!

Thanks again!

TIMMAH!
Old February 22, 2012, 05:47 PM   #3062
JustsayMo

TIMX13: Glad to have you with us.

Few take advantage of the wonderful versatility of this cartridge. Hunting squirrels with your father's rifle is a great way to honor his memory and make some happy new ones.

If you're a reloader I could send you a few of the Lee "Soup Cans" to try out over some Bullseye or W231. It's been a scarey accurate bullet in all five of the Marlin 336's I've owned.

-Mo
Old February 22, 2012, 09:37 PM   #3063
Whisky Delta

Here's my ticket into the club, a 336 I picked up today. Serial number puts date of production @ 1980, and it's in great shape. It doesn't say "C" or "W" or anything. I think it's a "C" but I don't know. It has no cross bolt safety.

I wanted to get a stainless one, but having read all the issues with production after 2009, and wanting to save some dollas, I grabbed this used one.

One thing I need to fix is that there is an old hole that was used for a sling. Then someone drilled a new new hole and moved the sling mount, leaving the old hole. What's the best way to fix this? The guy at the shop said they make something for it. Any suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120222_195138.jpg (90.7 KB, 49 views)
Old February 22, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3064
Irish Bird Dog

Whiskey Delta....is that you in the pic with rifle after too many whiskeys????

Maybe they meant the "bullseye" that Marlin puts in the butt stocks as what is made for the hole????? You can buy them from Marlin.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:52 AM   #3065
dak0ta

Yeah Whiskey Delta, your Marlin is a 336 RC model.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3066
Sheepdog1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Delta View Post
Here's my ticket into the club, a 336 I picked up today. Serial number puts date of production @ 1980, and it's in great shape. It doesn't say "C" or "W" or anything. I think it's a "C" but I don't know. It has no cross bolt safety.

I wanted to get a stainless one, but having read all the issues with production after 2009, and wanting to save some dollas, I grabbed this used one.

One thing I need to fix is that there is an old hole that was used for a sling. Then someone drilled a new new hole and moved the sling mount, leaving the old hole. What's the best way to fix this? The guy at the shop said they make something for it. Any suggestions are welcome.
You are wise at holding off on a new Marlin. At SHOT my friend talked to "Marlin/Remington/Freedom Corp", supposedly they will have all of this sorted out by summer of 2012. I bought a new Marlin 45-75 this past summer. It had six factory defects that should have been caught before it left. Grizzly Custom Rifles is fixing most of them and it will be a great rifle once I get it back. The one that isn't easily fixed is the holes on the top of the receiver are not centered. They are off nearly 1/16th of an inch (realy obvious when you look at it). It shoots straight at 50 and 100 yards so I'm not going to worry about it as I want to keep with open sights. It will bother me quite a bit. Once I get it back from Lew Bonitz, I will be writing a letter to "Marlin" to see what they can do/offer to make me feel whole.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old February 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #3067
Whisky Delta

Irish Bird Dog -> That's my girl Daisy. American Bulldog. She was curious about this new toy. Too bad she's gun shy.

dak0ta - Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't really sure. THe other ones this shop had were 336Ws. And they wanted $100 more for one of them! It was a newer gun, but this one was a better one. It looks clean all over and I can't wait to shoot it. So the RC is the Regular Carbine, right? Sort of the "standard" with the better stock? The wood on the one I bought was superior to the Ws.

Sheepdog - I really wanted that stainless!! But I couldn't find any local to handle and look at new or used, and I didn't know how far back they had been produced, so I wasn't even sure if a pre-2009 stainless existed. For $300 I'm happy with what I've got!
Old February 23, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3068
Irish Bird Dog

sheepdog1968...."I bought a new Marlin 45-75 this past summer."

typo or did I miss something new from Marlin???? 45-75 or45-70?
and what were the other 5 factory defects????
Old February 23, 2012, 01:35 PM   #3069
dak0ta

Yeah RC became the CS (Carbine Safety) which became today's C model

AW and A models became today's W model and A model respectively although today's A's are slightly altered.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:26 PM   #3070
Sheepdog1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Bird Dog View Post
sheepdog1968...."I bought a new Marlin 45-75 this past summer."

typo or did I miss something new from Marlin???? 45-75 or45-70?
and what were the other 5 factory defects????
Yup a 45-70. I wrote this one before am coffee.

Below are the defects. We could argue about these defects and how important they are. Having said that, if we had a bunch of 45-70s to choose from on a dealer rack, we'd likely put this rifle down for any one of these defects and go to the next rifle for inspection. Some of them I might have lived with if I hadn't planned on sending it out to get fixed. My local dealer (and I really wanted to support him rather than a big store) had tried really hard for nearly a year to find me one so I needed to basically buy it sight unseen. I went into buying this knowing there was a good chance something might need fixing.

1. It doesn’t feed ammo smoothly or reliably (especially the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo) and I tried three different brands/bullet weights.

2. The barrel & receiver appear to be drilled and tapped off center.

3. Significant burr on rear ghost ring.

4. Non-uniform white stripe on the front sight.

5. The right side scallop in the wood is inch shorter than the left side scallop near the top of the pistol grip area.

6. There is a rough patch on the right hand of the wooden stock. I’m not sure if it wasn’t finished or just not sanded properly.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old February 23, 2012, 11:40 PM   #3071
Eaglestroker

Well I figured I would share another. This is my 1895 in 45-70, it was the first Marlin above .22 that I bought about 4 months ago.

I placed an order yesterday from BCM for a Stainless follower and a safety delete/saddle ring combo. I also ordered Skinners newest peep sight offering known as the Alaskan:

I'm going to attempt my first trigger job while I have it apart. There is a great thread on it over on Marlin Owners.

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/
Old February 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3072
MrDig

Location: Where all the women are strong, the men are good looking and all the children are above average
Easy can do

Trigger jobs on Marlin Lever guns are easy as can be. Did one myself on a 1894 just recently and am really happy with the result.
Old February 26, 2012, 07:31 PM   #3073
Eaglestroker

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I recently detail stripped my Texan and smoothed the action which may have given me false confidence in my bubba 'smith abilities

Took my '35 for a walk today with some new goodies on:

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/
Old February 27, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3074
Nematocyst

How can that rifle possibly work with that fixed blade sticking through the receiver?

Just kidding. Nice rifle. Love the sights. No longer a fan of scopes on these lever guns.

Still want a set of Skinner on mine.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old February 27, 2012, 01:31 AM   #3075
dak0ta

Curious, what do you guys think of running a patrol sling that can act as a 1 pt and 2 pt sling on a Marlin? The rifle is shorty enough with it's 20'' barrel to be used in a single point config, and then 2 point as a shooting aid.