Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 133 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 6, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3301
Sheepdog1968

Nice one soonerfan. Does your brother still have your 30-30? Maybe you could do a trade o get it back.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/
Old February 7, 2013, 12:05 AM   #3302
soonerfan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968 View Post
Nice one soonerfan. Does your brother still have your 30-30? Maybe you could do a trade o get it back.
Yeah he still has it. Truth is I kinda like this one better as it has a darker non glossy finish. Plus I've got an old Winchester in 30-30.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3303
goldie

Ive always overlooked this rifle untill i was watching moonshiners, & the guy mark killed a wild boar with one. now i really want one.saw one in 35 rem but that ammo is expensive,trying to find a 30-30 version. glad i found this thread....
Old February 7, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3304
Nematocyst

Congrats, Sooner. How cool that you've rejoined the club as a rifle carrying member after 30 years of abstinence.
Just goes to show again what I've known for decades: guns last longer than girlfriends.

Goldie, welcome. You have (almost) been assimilated.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old February 7, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3305
soonerfan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
Congrats, Sooner. How cool that you've rejoined the club as a rifle carrying member after 30 years of abstinence.
Just goes to show again what I've known for decades: guns last longer than girlfriends.

Goldie, welcome. You have (almost) been assimilated.

Resistance is futile.
Old February 8, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3306
MikePaiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Next_Generation
MikePaiN - If you look at the picture I posted, there is a sling mount that attaches to the magazine tube.

You could also try a barrel-band sling mount (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/895...emington-1894c).
Ops...I didn't post the "full" pics.. I went with a tube mount from Uncle Mike's

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato
Old February 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3307
ForumSurfer

Repair complete...time to shoot the wheels off of it and accumulate some character (read:scratches)

Sent from my Crayola box.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3308
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

nice job forumsurfer
Charter Member JPFO
Old February 28, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3309
VonFatman

Nice work. That Marlin looks great.

Bob
Old February 28, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3310
ForumSurfer

Thanks! It took quite a bit of work to sand the stock down to fit the butt plate. I also had to go darker than I want to hide the water damage discoloration, but I added some lighter stain after the dark to brighten up the light spots a bit. Looks better in person since the tint changes a bit with the light. Time well spent working with my son, so I'm happy.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3311
ForumSurfer

A few more pics:

Old February 28, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3312
Abel

Would look great with a gloss black Leupold VX-1 2-7X32mm.
Old February 28, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3313
Nematocyst

Surfer, great work!!!! Beautiful! I love the dark stain. Love it.
Really brings out the grain, especially those creamy light streaks.

And even more, to see a damage 336 come back to beauty. Does my heart good.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Remind us, please, of the story of that rifle.
(So many threads and posts, so little time and memory.)

Old February 28, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3314
ForumSurfer

It sat in about 3" of water for a few days soaking up water like a sponge. The buyer gave me a rock bottom price after we discussed price of replacement parts. The rifle is in practically new condition, minus the newly repaired stocks. It would make sense to just buy new stocks since they are cheap from Marlin, but all that time my son and I spent working on it is priceless.

THe previous owner hadn't even sighted it in since mounting the XS Sights. I haven't either. I took it out and simply hit some of my 6" steel plates at 100 yards, then fixed it. I'll break out some actual paper targets this weekend. Thanks for the kind words.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3315
MikePaiN

ForumSurfer, very nice work, that refinish came out purrdy'

I've been working on an update of my 336....The wood and grain were not very good on mine and the forend is a different wood than the butt stock so I'm going with a "non-traditional" update.....just hope it doesn't get me thrown out of The 336 Club...

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

Last edited by MikePaiN; March 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3316
Nematocyst

Quote:
just hope it doesn't get me thrown out of The 336 Club...
Mike, the only way you can get thrown out of this club is to repeatedly bad mouth them.

And even then, we won't 'throw you out', we'll just ignore you.

The only thing that matters here is an interest in these fine rifles. You don't even have to own one.

Old March 2, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3317
MikePaiN

Okay Nematocyst.....here goes.
The stocks cured up tonight and I was able to get the setup together

Weaver Classic V3 1-3x / Grand Slam rings
Mossy Oak leather sling
Allen Co. butt stock pouch / cartridge holder
OD Green re-finish

Old March 2, 2013, 11:23 PM   #3318
kyletx1911

ohhhhhhhh do mine do mine!!!! nice work
Old March 3, 2013, 02:37 AM   #3319
Nematocyst

NICE!

Old March 3, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3320
ForumSurfer

What did you refinish with? If mine hadn't came out decent, it was going to be sanded smooth and get a coat of magpul FDE
Old March 3, 2013, 04:35 PM   #3321
Prophet

The 336 is the AK-47 of the United States. There aren't many folks in my area who don't have one, they seem to be a really popular truck gun. My 30AS was my first firearm, my dad facilitated the purchase and I worked/paid it off over a period of time. It was the most expensive thing I'd ever owned. The action on mine is silkier than any of the others I've come across. I'll never part with it as 30-30 ammo is almost always readily available and very formidable.

Forumsurfer; beautiful rifle, what did you refinish it with? My stocks are in serious need of a refinish, whatever the manufacturer used on my stock is junk and peeling like yours.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:02 PM   #3322
ForumSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet View Post
The 336 is the AK-47 of the United States. There aren't many folks in my area who don't have one, they seem to be a really popular truck gun. My 30AS was my first firearm, my dad facilitated the purchase and I worked/paid it off over a period of time. It was the most expensive thing I'd ever owned. The action on mine is silkier than any of the others I've come across. I'll never part with it as 30-30 ammo is almost always readily available and very formidable.

Forumsurfer; beautiful rifle, what did you refinish it with? My stocks are in serious need of a refinish, whatever the manufacturer used on my stock is junk and peeling like yours.
Man I honestly expected it to be trash because that peeling was due to water damage and swelling. So I used what I had laying around. Two coats of minwax walnut and three quotes of minwax golden oak. The dark helped hide the discolored wood (even after sanding) and the oak brought out the lighter grain. It sort of shifts from dark to light as the sun hits it. I'm satisfied. Marilyn's finish is thick. Use citristrip. I used a light steel brush to get the finish off the checkering.

Ammo isn't so available here. Stop by walmart and all they ever seem to have is one box of 380 and some 12 gauge. I picked up some dies to reload and I buy whatever ammo I happen across. I could use some brass!

Sent from my Crayola box.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:31 PM   #3323
MikePaiN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumSurfer
What did you refinish with? If mine hadn't came out decent, it was going to be sanded smooth and get a coat of magpul FDE
On the first attempt I striped and sanded, then stained with a dark Minwax. That's when I realized how bad it was going to look and how crappy the wood is. I primed and painted over with a pine green, the pine didn't do it for me, so I more or less tested by rattle can spraying it a hunter green...The final decision was made to do it right in OD Green(FDE was also on the table but I went with the Green). The stocks were completely stripped and sanded. I used Rust-Oleum Camo paints, primed with two coats, five color coats and two final coats of matte clear.
I know its not the traditional look for a lever gun but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did and I'm happy with the results.

There seems to be a fair amount of 30-30 ammo around here, I usually can get a box or two from wal-mart, when ever I stop in.

Old March 3, 2013, 09:44 PM   #3324
Nematocyst

Quote:
I know its not the traditional look for a lever gun...
As you'll see, we're not too stuck on 'traditional' around here.

There are trad lovers, then there is the experimental group. Both find a home around here.

For example, if I had the cash, I'd turn mine into one of these (minus the pic rail).

Last edited by Nematocyst; March 3, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:17 AM   #3325
Prophet

Quote:
Two coats of minwax walnut and three quotes of minwax golden oak. The dark helped hide the discolored wood (even after sanding) and the oak brought out the lighter grain. It sort of shifts from dark to light as the sun hits it. I'm satisfied.
Well whatever you did, you did something right. I love a good, contrasty finish. I might have to try and replicate what you did here on mine with a slight variation on the colors. Mine doesn't have checkering and the wood grain looks much worse than yours, but maybe I'll be surprised like you. I'll post some pics here when I get around to finishing the rifle.

30-30 ammo is staying pretty steady here, but if you're having issues getting it maybe I should go ahead and grab a box or two before they start getting short here. Thanks for the heads-up and hope you can find some ammo! I'm in the same boat with .223, it's frustrating to know that you're building a rifle you might not even be able to get ammo for.