Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 135 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 5, 2013, 09:50 PM   #3351
Nematocyst

Maine is quite a different place than Long Island when it comes to .30-30 and what you can shoot with one, when and where.

I don't miss Long Island - was only there twice in the 70's - but I miss my 336.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 11, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3352
Fred Fuller

I ran across a good condition 336RC with a straight stock in .30-30 yesterday at my favorite FFL yesterday, and brought it home. S/N is W36XXX, on the bottom tang under the lever. If my source* is correct that means it was made in 1963, so I'm only ten years older than the rifle is. Told the counter guy (an old friend) if it had been chambered in .35 Rem I would have kissed him. He didn't seem too enamored of the idea .

One more added to the stable!

* http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ma...1952-75-a.html

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old July 11, 2013, 04:56 PM   #3353
ThorinNNY

Location: 3 hours North of Syracuse, 2 hours west of Lake Champlain
Nematocyst
I do not miss Long Island either.Used to have relatives living there, ocean fishing was the ONLY thing I enjoyed when I visited there. Fresh caught bluefish filleted & grilled, mmmm!
Old July 11, 2013, 07:25 PM   #3354
JustsayMo

Nem,
Indeed this thread is still breathing. Perhaps just getting going....

I have two 336's, both are Cowboys - 24" octagonal barrels, conversions done by Marlin while still in New Haven. One in 30-30. The other in 38-55.

LOVE both of them. The practical side of me has great appreciation for the 30-30. Might be on of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. A rare variation for sure and those that have them don't typically let go of them. I've had both the Original and the conversion (originally a 336 Texan, sent back to Marlin where the craftsmen there converted it to a Cowboy). I did sell the original (mistake... but it went to a good guy). For the silhoutte game you really can't beat a 30-30 Cowboy...

I later discovered the 38-55 Cowboy. Less practical. Way more fun. Provided that you are a reloader and caster.

The 38-55 is definitely NOT for those with short attention spans. It takes work - if you call experimentation (shooting) work. Each 38-55 is a story unto it's own. First you must find the bullet diameter it likes, .379-.382", the weight, the charge...

Once you get it right, Life is good

It was the first caliber I was able to reach out to 1,000 yards with. and I frequently use it in Silhouette matches, Long Range Matches and Hunting.

800 yards with a Marlin 336 Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bN2Gcd3OGw

Now if I could only have one, it'd be the 30-30. But since I have both, I must admit that the 38-55 gets a vast majority of the attention.

Montana Vintage Arms Tange sight. Zero to 1,000+ yards. Gotta love it!
Old July 11, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3355
Nematocyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
Montana Vintage Arms Tange sight. Zero to 1,000+ yards. Gotta love it!
That's just impressive, right there.

Congrats on the new rifle, Fred. Pics when you can.

Thorin, come on up to Maine. We'll do some fishing.

Old July 11, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3356
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

I do miss the ocean view from my bedroom window in Long Island, and the great sea food
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 13, 2013, 11:04 PM   #3357
Nematocyst

I wonder how many .30-30's there are on Long Island.

Old July 13, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3358
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

There are many336 in Tennessee, and only 4 in my safe
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 14, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3359
Nematocyst

I can definitely understand "many" in TN. Even many in NY state.

But I'm curious about the proportion of households on Long Island, or - say - Manhattan - in which one would find a 336 or any other .30-30.

I can see lots of 9 mm and 45 ACP in LI and Manhattan, but why do I think there'd be very few rifles chambered in .30-30 there?

I'd predict a higher proportion in Bangor, Charlotte NC and ABQ than in Chicago, Philadelphia and LA, also.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but you get my drift. There's a cultural distribution hypothesis in here somewhere.

Old July 15, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3360
StrutStopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
I can definitely understand "many" in TN. Even many in NY state.

But I'm curious about the proportion of households on Long Island, or - say - Manhattan - in which one would find a 336 or any other .30-30.

I can see lots of 9 mm and 45 ACP in LI and Manhattan, but why do I think there'd be very few rifles chambered in .30-30 there?

I'd predict a higher proportion in Bangor, Charlotte NC and ABQ than in Chicago, Philadelphia and LA, also.

Don't know where I'm going with this, but you get my drift. There's a cultural distribution hypothesis in here somewhere.
Not sure if this counts, but my .35 Rem 336 was the first gun I bought when I turned 18, 34 years ago. I lived in Queens, NY and bought it at a shop on LI. It now lives in a safe in RI.
Old July 16, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3361
Nematocyst

That's interesting, Strut. I wonder - do you know? - when the last deer hunting was allowed on LI.

Old July 16, 2013, 11:09 PM   #3362
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

When I left LI in 1998, there was still a shotgun and a bow season
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 19, 2013, 12:46 PM   #3363
StrutStopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
That's interesting, Strut. I wonder - do you know? - when the last deer hunting was allowed on LI.
Couldn't tell you about gun hunting, back then we used to go upstate to hunt. When my friend bought some land in Schoharie county a few years after I bought the 336 I picked up an 870 in Hermans world of sports at the Green Acres mall. Schoharie is a shotgun only county. It was bad back then for gun owners in NYC but definitely not as bad as it is now. I believe you can still bow hunt on LI although I've never done it.
Old July 19, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3364
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

Just checked the Suffolk County LI site, there is still a very short selective fire arms season for deer.
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 20, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3365
AKElroy

I looked for years for a clean, older 336 with pretty walnut, LNIB. I finally found one two years ago on GB, DOM 1974. It shipped in the original box and looks unfired, really pretty. Ive had a Nikon 3x9 on it, and while it shot great, it was too large for the gun and didn't look good.

Last week I bought another rifle on GB that had this vintage glossy Leupold 2x7x33 mounted, and I thought it would look much better on this 336, in classic weaver top mount rings. It is so low, I had to remove the ramp under the rear site to get clearance. It is dialed in and ready for deer season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (112.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by AKElroy; July 20, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3366
AKElroy

Lets try the pic again. Can't rotate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (101.5 KB, 51 views)
Old July 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #3367
stanger04

Great pics they make me really miss mine. Had one in a 35 Rem with 16.5" barrel, I cut it down to mimic the old guide guns.
Old July 21, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3368
Nematocyst

Yeah, that's a beaut, AK. Nice work.
_____

I just found this post over on ESEE forum where I hang out a lot (same user name). Did this guy score or what?

Quote:
I recently bought a 68 marlin 336 from a guy for $150. The outside is a bit rough, and the wood needs a little lovin, but the inside tells me this gun never got shot much.

Old July 21, 2013, 09:59 PM   #3369
AKElroy

That is a HUGE score.

Mine had lots of bids, and was waaay over retail, but it was a time warp that I could not pass up. Didn't want to wait another two years, if ever, to find one like this.

I would have snatched that deal up in a heartbeat just to have it.
Old September 24, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3370
Sheepdog1968

Deer season has started. Over the last 5 or 6 years the 30-30 has become my favorite rifle for hunting, social range shooting, and I've taken a couple of rifle self defense classes with it. I've talked about it in the past but never taken a photo till now. Recently I did the last thing to finalize it which was to shorten the lop. Below are some of the details.

Work done by Brockman
16.75" barrel
Smoothed action
Enlarged lever loop
XS sights and scout scope

Recently had lop changed to 12" by a local gun smith.
It sports a Galco Safari Ching sling.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with Skinner sights. I think they look slightly nicer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.0 KB, 166 views)

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff Cooper in his Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

Best website I have ever seen regarding gun facts and figures for your discussions with others:

http://www.gunfacts.info/

Last edited by Sheepdog1968; September 25, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old September 25, 2013, 12:28 AM   #3371
Nematocyst

That's purty right there.

I want mine to look like this,
sans scope with Skinners.

I miss my 336.

Old September 25, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3372
JustsayMo

Going long with the Marlin 336

1050 Yards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL5FrxeeOVM
Old September 25, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3373
DocTheCroc

Have just purchased a 1968 Marlin 336RC
Beautiful rifle
Fitting Williams rear peep with Fibre Optic Ghost Ring and Fibre Optic Firesight front ramp
Will consider a Pine Ridge XS scout scope and rail later after I see how I go at 200 yards with the new open sights
Using 160 grain Leverevolution and Federal Fusion 150 grain, which perform close to the same actually
Living in Texas now, but when I return to Oz (where a civilian cannot own a semi-auto rifle) this little Marlin lever action beauty will be just perfect in 30-30
Old September 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3374
ForumSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog1968
If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with Skinner sights. I think they look slightly nicer.
Same here. The Skinners have the multi aperture capability. My XS ring is nice, but huge. The front sight post is a but on the fat side, also.
Old September 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #3375
rromeo

I picked up a 30AW, does that count for me to join the club?