Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 138 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 5, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3426
JustsayMo

Gearing up for our annual Levergun fest. Good food, good eating, good fun and lots of long range levergun shooting. The Marlin 336 Cowboy is well represented there as is it's predecessor, the Marlin 1893.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leE2R6Bhnv8
Old July 5, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3427
midland man

well I have 3 30/30 rifles 2 Winchesters 94's and one marlin 336w and I would like to join the club about the marlin 336w as I love mine its sweet to shoot and take hunting I really like it very well!
Old July 6, 2014, 08:03 PM   #3428
Badlander

Cleat looks ready to eat.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:13 AM   #3429
vaupet

@ Mo:
great shooting spot,
this kind of shooting is very IMPOSSIBLE in our part of Europe.

Where can I book? Hope there is some possibility of horse-back-riding to

Have fun,

Peter
Old July 7, 2014, 08:05 AM   #3430
JustsayMo

Vaupet: Anytime you're ever in the area (Washington, Idaho, British Columbia), let me know.

We have an informal get together every year (mid-July) with levergun enthusiasts from all over. The accommodations are spartan - I bring my tent, some hotel in town. The grub is basically a four day pot-luck and always good. We shoot out to 1200 yards with leverguns and single shots (Sharps).

GREAT group of guys, most very experienced. We get a few newbies every year and most come back with more guns the next.

The rancher is a great guy. His horses are working horses and working his cattle is about the only way I know to get to ride one. They are a friendly bunch of critters though.

Old July 9, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3431
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

Can I use cast bullets with my model 375, in 375win
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 9, 2014, 10:49 AM   #3432
JustsayMo

Quote:
Can I use cast bullets with my model 375, in 375win
The short answer is yes.

You will get the best results if the bullet is sized to your bore. Microgroove barrels tend to like fatter (for caliber) bullets. The same is true of Ballard style rifling though they tend to shoot undersized better than MG barrels.

Based on friends that have 375 Marlins I would suspect you'll need a .376" or 377" diameter cast bullets. If you can slug your bore it will save you some time in load development.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old July 9, 2014, 11:24 AM   #3433
JoelSteinbach
Contributing Member

thanks MO
Charter Member JPFO
Old July 21, 2014, 04:08 PM   #3434
rromeo

I picked up a .35 Remington this morning
It's the pistol grip, next to my .30-30 Texan.
The .35 has a cracked stock, so if I can find all the parts cheap enough, I might change it to straight.
Old July 22, 2014, 10:27 PM   #3435
MyRoad

I recently received a new in the box early 1980's 336 in .35 Remington that was my father's. The box still had the original price on it, something like "On Sale - $116"

I fit it with a Leupold 3-9, and its a tack driver. What a sweet rifle. It'll be my deer gun this fall, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
I'd go 190 tops for .30-30.

Save the 250's for big bore.
Hey Nem, when was the last time you got to shoot your 336? I hope you're finding some good range time on the east side. Are you doing any hunting out there?
Old July 23, 2014, 04:04 AM   #3436
The_Next_Generation

I have a 336 in 35 Rem that I would love to take out a little farther. I am currently a student at WSU, is the ranch nearby to Pullman?

LOVE this thread
Old July 28, 2014, 01:12 AM   #3437
marlin336a

Those are some nice 336's. I hunt exclusivly with my 336a 30-30 here in minnesota, sure fills the freezer. Last deer i shot was a button buck that tipped the scales at about75 lbs soaking wet lol. was using the hornady lever ammo (federal power shok is the standard load for this rifle ) with a high shoulder hit bang flop as they say. Going to maine in september on black bear hunt we'll see what the 170 grain core lokts can do. like the idea of a 336 club, exclusive to the the 30-30
Old September 24, 2014, 11:33 AM   #3438
C.R.

Count me in! I have a Marlin Mod 30AS in .30-.30 I bought it new back in the day
Old September 24, 2014, 08:09 PM   #3439
The_Next_Generation

C.R. you must post pics to be an "official" member
Old October 20, 2014, 12:55 PM   #3440
steve.3

Old New Member

Hi all,

Been chewing through the club pages all weekend, after coming onto the thread in search of round ball and 30-30 small game loads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....postcount=1794 being one of the posts.

My 1st Marlin was my gran'pap's 39 he bought new the year I was born, 1958. I've had it since about 1970. The next was his 336 in 35 rem in similar vintage, inherited from my dad 10 years ago. Fast forward to the 2008's presidential panic frenzy buying spree (still on-going) and I picked up a new 336 in 30-30, being a marvelous gun and versatile caliber to reload for.

Just handed the claim to the 30-30 to my middle son, who took his 1st. deer with it last weekend.

336's, can't imagine life without 'em.
Old October 20, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3441
jbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.3 View Post
Hi all,

Been chewing through the club pages all weekend, after coming onto the thread in search of round ball and 30-30 small game loads.

Haven't been over here in a long time, but I remember this thread from over on the Marlin Owners forum

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88137
Old October 21, 2014, 03:08 AM   #3442
steve.3

Thanks for the link, JB.

The squib or gallery loads have been around forever. Like they say, "nothing new under the sun." Every generation of die-hards seem to discover them eventually. It's nice with the search engines to efficiently mine the collective hive mentality. Sure saves covering much ground that's already been plowed.

The big plus is beating the price of 22 lr by a huge order of magnitude, with greater utility and a variety of loads for every application. How nice to take the 336's out for an afternoon at pennies a pop!

(as if I needed an excuse)

steve.3
Old October 21, 2014, 08:41 AM   #3443
Salmoneye

Quote:
Haven't been over here in a long time, but I remember this thread from over on the Marlin Owners forum

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88137
Too funny...That is my thread...

I finally got around to playing with round balls, and settled on Red Dot (as that is what I have a bit of) under some .310" balls in my Marlin 1893...

I have old skillets at 45 and 60 yards from the house, and can keep the round balls on them all day...

"A few" grains of Red Dot rolls the varmints in the garden with authority...

I take an unresized case, decap and prime, a dipper of Red Dot, and tap a ball flush with the case mouth sprue up...I then slather on a dollop of LLA and go shoot...

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2us97gp.jpg
That the people have a right to bear arms for the defence of themselves and the State--and as standing armies in the time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be kept up; and that the military should be kept under strict subordination to and governed by the civil power.
Old October 21, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3444
The_Next_Generation

Salmoneye, are you loading those one at a time in your rifle or do you load them from the magazine? My 336 in 35Rem can't load empties from the magazine without jamming (I have to take the rifle apart to un-jam it no less!).