Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 18 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old April 30, 2007, 02:47 PM   #426
the lone gunman

Have seen no posts at all about the 336 in 32 special like mine, are they rare item?
Old April 30, 2007, 04:57 PM   #427
Nematocyst

Exclamation A danger with certain acronyms

It's a Monday, and I've just gotten to work, so I'll save more responses for later (and there's several great new posts to respond to ...) but just for now.

NWA, I see you're fairly new to THR. Welcome.

Please know that, in general these days at THR, the quickest way to get a thread shut down is to label it with the acronyms <whispering> SHTF/TEOTWAWKI or even to discuss the concept within the thread. "Why" is best discussed elsewhere. But suffice to say, in this thread, we'd prefer not to talk in those terms because we don't want to get the club house shut down and locked.

So, if it's OK with you, let's just say you're looking for a good, all-purpose utility rifle that would be suitable for use in a wide variety of social and environmental conditions and leave it at that.

And, what you'll hear here is, 336 in .30-30 is one among many fine rifles for such an all-purpose utility rifle.

Nem
Old April 30, 2007, 09:02 PM   #428
electrode1998

Hey Nem,
Here is pic #1. My 336 A looked just like yours before I started and now it looks like this.
I am going to use 3 posts to post all of my pics I have right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0495 (2).JPG (427.4 KB, 275 views)
Old April 30, 2007, 09:08 PM   #429
electrode1998

Hey Nem.
Here is pic #2.
I have to resize of my pics. It came out too big in memory to be posted. I'll have to try to work with that and post it later.
The tower in this pic is about 168 yards away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0501 (2).JPG (939.6 KB, 232 views)
Old April 30, 2007, 09:26 PM   #430
electrode1998

Hey Nem,
I think I got the resizing o.k.
Here is pic #3 and this shows the colors of the stock pretty good, I hope.
E'trode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0499 (7).JPG (732.7 KB, 231 views)
Old May 1, 2007, 12:23 AM   #431
DouglasW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Attorney
Hey you lever-action people. I've posted a question on the general list under: [good, all-purpose utility rifle] Gun. How about a Lever Action 30/30? "
Here's an older thread on the Marlin 30-30's usefulness as a....good, all-purpose utility rifle (nice one, Nem): http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=215067

You might notice a few familiar usernames from the 336 club over there too

Speaking of which...please add one more to the club. I just picked up a new-to-me 336W this evening, and I'm quite pleased with how it handles/feels. Can't wait to get to the range!
Old May 1, 2007, 02:43 AM   #432
Nematocyst

Douglas, welcome to the club (officially now). Congrats on the new W. Ain't it grand to just feel one for the first time? Let us know your impressions after range time.

NWAttorney, Lone Gunman, Cato and 'Wolf, welcome as well. Glad you've joined us.

Lone'G, I don't think I've ever read/heard of a 336 in .32. Do know its age? Got pics?

Falcon, neat imagery. Nice art. For a group interested in a classic rifle, we be stylin'!

Z, thanks for the additional tips on zeroing at 25 and 100. Makes good sense. Yeah, I think I'll add a scope to it soon, zero, then work on the GR's after that.

E'trode, nice looking rifle! Very interesting.

Would you please remind us of some particulars (to keep me from having to search back through the thread): barrel length (18, I think), scope (Leupold, right?) and finish on the stock/fore end (very unique looking, but i can't remember how you did it).
Old May 1, 2007, 04:24 PM   #433
Brassman

For a decent article on the 32 Win.sp go here: www.gmdr.com/lever/32wstext.htm. This is mostly about the cartridge, but mention of Marlin & Winchester being producers of rifles in that caliber is made.
Old May 1, 2007, 04:33 PM   #434
Brassman

Here's another longer article comparing the .30-30 to the 32 Win. sp.:
www.levergun.com/articles/special.htm
Old May 1, 2007, 04:48 PM   #435
Brassman

There is talk that the 35Rem. cartridge may fall by the wayside in the future. If I'm thinking correctly, Marlin is the only company still producing in this caliber. I know that's true for levers, but maybe for all long arms. Anyway, I'm covered since anytime I see new brass at gun shows for under $20 per 100, I buy a bag. Usually the prices are around $25-$30 for 100.
Old May 1, 2007, 05:34 PM   #436
Mannlicher

I have several Marlin lever guns. Most are 336 model rifles.
My oldest is a 30-30 1949 RC, then there is a 1954,(converted to 30-30 Ackley)
a 1957 Straight stock in .35 Rem was my most recent purchase, pictured here.
The newest model I have is a 336Y, Spikehorn. Thats my favorite at this time.

Old May 2, 2007, 12:05 AM   #437
electrode1998

Talking

Hey Nem.,
The particulars are stock barrel just like yours, Leupold scout scope, and the stock and forend were bought on ebay and are actually a marlin factory stock.
I just removed the butt plate this weekend and installed the recoil pad. I kept the butt plate since it was even camo in finish.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:28 AM   #438
Nematocyst

Every once in a while, just out of curiosity, I open Rifle Country, then click on "Views".
That action ranks all the currently active threads in rifle country by number of views.

Consistently, this thread about the 336 ranks at or near the top of the list.

Tonight, we're at the top (just below the stickies) at 12,811 views.

I find this fascinating in an age of AK, AR, long-range bolt guns, etc,
that a "lowly" lever gun can garner so much attention.

I struggle to understand it.

Opinions?
________

In other news, the first hard rain in months
in a normally rainy season is falling on my roof.

My 336 stands nearby ...

Nem
Old May 2, 2007, 03:45 AM   #439
Nematocyst

Quote:
My 336 stands nearby ...
Having said that hours earlier,
I'll say this now:

My 870P stands closer than my 336.

If push came to shove
1 sec, 1 min, 1 hr, 1 day
from now, I'd grab the 870P.

My main issue with the 336:
it doesn't "close" completely
after an action cycle.

That is, when I cycle it,
50% of the time, the lever doesn't "close" against the stock.
(Experienced users will understand what that means.)

A competent smith
will be able to smooth the action.

But until that happens,
I'll keep the 870P closer.
It closes every time.

S'huck s'huck.

That's what I want
my 336 to sound like,
let alone the '895.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 2, 2007, 04:26 AM   #440
Appsy

Add me to the club just picked up my 336 in 30-30 put on a 3-9 scope on a wever base with QD mounts and this thread is way ahead of the rest in the view department but its got me stuffed to
Old May 2, 2007, 04:36 AM   #441
Nematocyst

Mannlicher and Appsy,
welcome.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:48 PM   #442
Brassman

Nem

Why levers? Ditto what I just said over on the 39A thread. Plus the 336 is even easier to clean than the 39A, in my opinion. I don't know of another long arm that is that easy to get cleaned up.
Old May 2, 2007, 01:03 PM   #443
chad1043

Is there a plicker round available for the 30-30? Who makes it? talking a complete cartirdige.
Old May 2, 2007, 03:18 PM   #444
Sniper X

I went out last weekeend for the great lever and single action shoot. I took both the 336RC (30-30), and the Winnie in .357mag, and both of my SAA's, the AWA Longhorn, and the Uberti Cattlemen, both in .45 cColt.

I can sum up the day in one word FUN! We took the digi cam, but I had let the girlfreind use it last and she had the card still in her computer at work so no pics were had! ARRRGH! I guess I will just have to go out again next weekend to do it all over again!

BTW, that 336RC.....WOW! accurate, and so nice and fun to shoot! I was easily hitting the clays off hand at 100 yards! Not flying of course, I aint that good!
Old May 2, 2007, 03:25 PM   #445
Sniper X

Chad, would that be PlinKer round?

If so not really unless you get a killer deal on something like bulk ammo. Most "plinker" rounds in levers are .357mag so you can do .38spl.

30-30 is a little pricy, but I DID get 10 boxes from one of the Wally's here in Albuquacky when they closed their sporting goods dept. for $4.00 a box!
Old May 2, 2007, 03:32 PM   #446
Z_Infidel

Quote:
I was easily hitting the clays off hand at 100 yards! Not flying of course, I aint that good!
Hitting a clay pidgeon offhand at 100 yards is darn good shooting.
Old May 2, 2007, 08:47 PM   #447
JustsayMo

Ultimate plinking round

30 caliber Plinking loads

You technically don't even need to be a reloader to do this. The old LEE loader (less than $20 on ebay) helps but other tools and devises will work.

-Take a case, sized is best but a fired case from the rifle it will be used will work, and deprime it. Again the Lee Loader is handy but a slender punch and a hole in a block of wood will work.

-Prime the case ( $0.02 at current prices). Lee Loader works well. Lee Autoprimer even better but I've pressed them in with a vise/ primer wide punch too...

-Scoop a 22lr shell's worth of Bullseye powder and dump in in your 30-30 empty case... A pound will give you more than 2,000 shots or about $0.01 per.

-Press a buckshot ball, which ever size (I can't recall at this moment) is closest and above to .308", with your thumb so it is seated ~ half way. I haven't purchased these in a long time so I don't know what they cost. I'm guessing less than $0.02 each.

Open the lever, toss in the cartridge (I don't have a 336 that will feed it from the magazine), close the lever, aim at can, dirt clod, pine cone, grouse /squirrel/bunny (where legal of course), vermin, bullseye or whatever safe and fun target you can think of and fire. It will penetrate more than 1" into a Douglas fire 4x beam or about the same as a 22lr round, only with a larger diameter...

This load will be accurate out to about 25 yards and in my 336's shoots a little low from my 100 yard full power zero (1 or 2 notches on the rear open sights). It'll cost you less than a nickle per shot and is amazingly accurate considering how low tech it is. It is rimifire quiet with NO recoil. YOu can reload the same case indefininately (as far as I know) and if you show this to your kids, you'll not likely get your rifle back until you're out of powder or out of shot. Be sure to supervise and caution them about the powder amount. At this low level it is safe. A case full of bullseye would cause injury and damage or worse.

It is a little dirty and a good cleaning is needed before you go back to your full-on loads for best accuracy. But for "backyard" shooting in your 30 caliber rifle inexpensively with a high degree of fun factor... This load will perform.

DO NOT USE MORE POWDER!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. VERIFY this load through other sources. All disclaimers apply here. Just because I've used it in most of my 30 caliber rifles doesn't mean your 30 cal is man enough, etc. yada yada disclaimer...

Other inexpensive, fun and accurate "plinking" loads for this caliber and others at www.gmdr.com

Last edited by JustsayMo; May 2, 2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Old May 2, 2007, 11:01 PM   #448
ZeSpectre

Count me in. I've got money down on a barely used (LNIB) pawn shop 336C with scope and I'll go collect it on Monday Of course my SKS is already mad at me.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; May 3, 2007 at 05:34 AM.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:08 PM   #449
scrat

Quote:
(Sorry, Scrat. We're not trying to be mean. Someone should start a Win 94 Club. That fine, venerable rifle deserves a club of it's own. But you're still welcome to hang out here and learn about 336's. Who knows, you might even wind up buying one to go with that 94. )

OK, now I've really got to go to work

Well i own 2 marlins too. Same time i dont think my house needs another gun after 13 you start trying to find out where to put them all. then some you just never have the time to shoot. Love my winchester. Same time though i like my marlins too.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:29 PM   #450
CrackerJim

I see Midway has a sale going including the Marbles tang sight. Does anyone have experience with the Marbles unit?

I'm interested in the tang sight but want to know if gunsmithing is required to mount it on the 336.

Thanks for any help.

Jim