Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 20 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 12, 2007, 09:35 AM   #476
ZeSpectre

Nematocyst-870

I used Remington Core-Lokt 170gr JRN.

Initially (using a "Predator" rifle rest) it took me 5 shots just to get the thing on paper. I had to keep moving the target closer and closer until at 20 yards(?!?) I finally ticked the edge of the target. Let me tell you I was starting to get a little concerned when I hit 20 yards and still didn't know where the hell the rifle was hitting!

From there out it was pretty simple to center the scope and then run it out to 50 yards. A couple of "fine tune" shots from the bench and then I decided to try just my arms braced on the table and that target previously posted was the result.

It certainly confirmed what the shop guy thought. His opinion was that some idiot bought the gun, went straight out hunting (without ever zeroing the gun) and couldn't hit anything. So said idiot decided the gun was crap and sold it and it wound up at the shop where I bought it. He said he gets LNIB guns every year during hunting season for exactly the same reason.

Well, some idiot's loss is my gain

Last edited by ZeSpectre; May 12, 2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old May 12, 2007, 10:53 AM   #477
JNewell

There were a couple of articles written several years back (five or more now, I think) about how and why a .30-30 lever action carbine made a good patrol rifle for a LE vehicle. One was written by the then-head of the S&W Academy; I forget who wrote the other - Gabe Suarez or Mas Ayoob perhaps. I'll see if I can dig up links via the Wayback Machine.

My Ongoing FN SLP Review
Old May 12, 2007, 03:58 PM   #478
Nematocyst

Quote:
...and you weird right handers.
LOL.

Great post, Dave.

JNewell, hope you can find those articles. I'll search a bit myself...

Glad I raised this issue. Very interesting reading.
Old May 12, 2007, 11:00 PM   #479
Nematocyst

GR practice

I just learned something hugely important (for me, at least) about using ghost ring sights in particular and pointing long guns in general.

I've been trying to do "pointing practice" lately, mostly with the 336 since I'm trying to get to know how to use GRs. It's a challenge for me because I'm cross eye dominant: right handed, but left eye dominates the image field. I grew up closing my left eye and sighting with my right to compensate (no one ever taught me differently ... mostly learned how to shoot on my own by trial and error since no one in my family was a shooter ... ).

So, learning to use GRs with both eyes open has been challenging. For some reason that I don't completely understand , keeping both eyes open is easier for me with handguns (shorter sight radius?), and even with my shotgun - with the latter, I'm paying attention ONLY to front bead and pointing instead of aiming. The barrel just goes where it needs to go.

But with the GR on the 336, there's that extra element of the rear "ghosted" ring. There's more thing to line up in a longer sight radius.

So, I've been practicing. Unloaded gun (triple checked); 4 rules of gun safety (check); safety on (check). And, I'm not dry firing, just pointing.

From upstairs, I point the rifle at an object ~100 m away in the sand lot across the street (no buildings beyond, lots of gravel berms (land fill material). I focus on the object. I see two front sights, one with my left eye, one with my right. (I was surprised to learn that at even this 50-something age, I didn't know that intuitively.)

It's taken me a while to become comfortable with the fact that the left front sight image (FSI) is produced by my left eye. I figured that out by trial and error by putting the left FSI on the target and closing my right eye; when I do, the barrel is correctly aligned with the target.

So, now, I'm practicing the following drill (and will continue to do so until it's second nature):

1) Bring rifle up to shoulder and point in general direction of target, focusing on target.
2) Immediately acknowledge that I see two FSI: one left, one right.
3) Put the left FSI on the target.
4) Repeat 20 times, first with the same target, then shift to a different target.

It's not second nature, yet, but I'm feeling more comfortable with it. It's a little like learning to see again using the same sensory organs, but interpreting the image differently, breaking old habits.

If anyone, especially GR users have any tips, I'm reading.

Nem
Old May 12, 2007, 11:25 PM   #480
Z_Infidel

Hmmm... interesting. I'm just gonna throw this out there. Nem, you mention having "more things to line up" and that makes me wonder if you've got the hang of using ghost rings yet. You need to make sure you're not trying to align the front sight with the rear. Allow it to become a blur and let your brain center the top of the front post within the circle. Focus on the front sight. Do not focus on the target, unless you are point shooting (typically a handgun technique, not long gun). Focus on that front sight, and just "notice" that it is positioned correctly on the target.

If you go to an optical sight, then you have a single focal plane to deal with. When using a ghost ring you have two. As with a handgun, it is "front sight, Press!" (obvious Cooperism there)

P.S. -- the above concerns practical marksmanship, not target shooting accuracy. Long range shooters using iron sights would likely give different advice, possibly including closing one eye.
Old May 13, 2007, 12:36 AM   #481
Nematocyst

Quote:
Allow [rear sight] to become a blur and let your brain center the top of the front post within the circle.
Yes. Comfortable with that part now.

Quote:
Focus on the front sight. Do not focus on the target, unless you are point shooting (typically a handgun technique, not long gun). Focus on that front sight, and just "notice" that it is positioned correctly on the target.
Right. I've been told that before. Thanks for reminder, Z.

OK, so when I do that, I get one front sight image (of course) and two out-of-focus but recognizable target images. Same trick as before resolves it: use the left image.

Practice, practice, practice ...
Old May 13, 2007, 11:49 PM   #482
Nematocyst

This just in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
OK, so when I do that [focus on front sight], I get one front sight image (of course) and two out-of-focus but recognizable target images. Same trick as before resolves it: use the left image.
I just realized something during ghost ring practice in the fading light of day ...

I wrote the above yesterday from memory after having practiced focusing on the target instead of the front sight.

As it turns out, it's wrong: when I focus on the front sight, I indeed do see two targets. But the "real one" (the one I need to put the front sight on) is the right-hand one, not the left.

Hmmm... this is gonna take a lot of practice to get used to it. After a lifetime of sighting with left eye closed, old habits die hard ...
Old May 16, 2007, 07:43 PM   #483
JustsayMo

Nem,
From what I gather you are left eye dominant and shooting right handed, correct?

More than a few members at the club have that same issue and have either trained themselves to shoot rifles left handed or close the off dominant eye.

If my understanding is correct try aiming the rifle lefty with both eyes open. My guess is that the sight picture will now be as it should be. GR sights are by definition easy to use. If you are struggling with the sight picture, that would be an indication of something out of whack.
Old May 16, 2007, 11:14 PM   #484
Nematocyst

Quote:
Nem, From what I gather you are left eye dominant and shooting right handed, correct?
Correct.

Quote:
More than a few members at the club have that same issue and have either trained themselves to shoot rifles left handed or close the off dominant eye.
I'm thinking I won't try to shoot left handed at this late stage of the game. I'll stay with right handed. If I have to close the left eye to do it, so be it. I was trying to play the GR game to keep both eyes open, but if it can't be done, I'll continue closing the left as I have always done.

Not optimal, perhaps, nor "the way it's supposed to be done", but ... oh, well.

Quote:
If you are struggling with the sight picture, that would be an indication of something out of whack.
The "out of whack" part seems to be the eyes I was born with: left eye dominant, right handed.

Oh, well, we play the hand we're dealt.

Going to the mountains tomorrow ... I hope ...

Old May 17, 2007, 11:24 AM   #485
Sniper X

the hunt without zeroing thing

Z Spec, I was on a hunt a few years ago when a member of the hunt came in after a long day comlaining his rifle was shooting eratically and inaccurately. I asked him about how it shot before he brought it on the hunt and he said he could easily hit Coyotes at over 100 yards. I asked if he had done anything recntly and he said all I did was install the scope. I asked how he boresighted it and he said HUH! I took the bolt out, rested it on the seat of a 4 wheeler, looked thru the bore and at 100 yards it was about 5 feet off! I removed and replaced the scope after rezeroing the reticles and got it after shimming to real close, then set the reticles on a small leaf on the bankof the dry river bed. After three shots I was able to hit the leaf at 100 yards away and he was happy. I still to this day can't beleive someone takes a rifle out without zeroing the scope and trys to hunt with it!
Old May 22, 2007, 04:25 PM   #486
dbernie5

I finally got out to shoot the 336A last night. Just a few rounds to be able to say I shot it. I need to spend more time with it to see what it can do. It just felt good to go out and shoot.
Old May 22, 2007, 05:14 PM   #487
DAdams

I Would Like to Join

Last month I inherited my Dad's 36RC 30-30 with a Weaver K4.

Photo later.

If I post a SN can I get a date? I think it's around 46-47? D209XX.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:34 PM   #488
retrieverman

I am new here but have been a "336 Club" member since 1982, and I am now in the "Multiple 336 Club". I have other guns that cost me well over $3000 each, but my 336's are my favorites. Me and my 1983 336T.

Here is my newest 336. It is a SS model that I converted from pistol grip to straight grip and added a WWG trigger.
Old May 24, 2007, 03:24 AM   #489
Nematocyst

Just back from a camping trip in Ponderosa pine heaven, where the pines meet the sagebrush sea called "the Great Basin desert", where a clear shot = 200 yds, with more deer sign (tracks & scat) than one can imagine.

Nice to see the club still recoiling along.

Sniper, keyword = boresight, eh?

Dbernie, nice to read a good report on shooting the A for the first time. Here's to more.

Dadams, welcome! Great to have you over here, too. Interesting that the gun in my vest pocket during the entire camping trip was my ... oh, you know. More on that another day in another thread.

Retrieverman, welcome in. I've read your posts over in Marlin Owners Forums.
(Recognized your images from there.)

OK, time for sleep in a real bed (after 6 nights on a sleeping pad in a minimalist tent, even if - given the choice - I'd still be sleeping on the sleeping pad in a minimalist tent under a half moon peaking through the Ponderosas...)

Nem
Old May 30, 2007, 01:27 PM   #490
Nematocyst

Please consider a donation to THR to help stop outages

Well, we're back on line after a LONG weekend of THR being down on a holiday weekend that I did not have off (since I took my "vacation" last week), so I was stuck in the studio all weekend with no THR.

Arrrrggggggg!!!!!!

Glad we're back up. Another DOS attack. Details of the most recent attack here. (Other threads in technical support chronicle the previous attacks over the last few months.)

Want to help solve that problem? Please make a donation to THR to help our webmaster, Derek Zeenah, solve the problem.

Thanks. Glad to be back.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels

Last edited by Nematocyst; May 30, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old May 30, 2007, 05:12 PM   #491
the lone gunman

"For a decent article on the 32 Win.sp go here: www.gmdr.com/lever/32wstext.htm. This is mostly about the cartridge, but mention of Marlin & Winchester being producers of rifles in that caliber is made."

notice in the article it says " 32special is a small game or minimal deer Cartrige" Ha Ha.
Old May 30, 2007, 06:10 PM   #492
Atticus_1354

Retrieverman how did you do the straight grip swap on your 336? It also looks like you changed out the lever for one off of a 1894. What work is required and how much did it cost?
Old May 30, 2007, 08:04 PM   #493
JNewell

Whoops, misread the post above - I went from straight to PG, but the process is the same

I'm not Retrieverman but I did that on an 1895 GG with great results. You need a PG buttstock and a new triggerplate and finger lever (both PG type). The rub is that when I did it Marlin had stopped selling the triggerplate and finger lever to consumers. I think I got them from Numrich. BTW, that's all the parts I bought, but you need to move the trigger parts to the new triggerplate.

To me, the recoil is much easier to manage with the PG stock. YMMV.

My Ongoing FN SLP Review

Last edited by JNewell; May 31, 2007 at 07:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:34 PM   #494
retrieverman

Atticus
My conversion did not cost me a penny. I traded parts with a guy that wanted a pistol grip gun. The parts came off a 336 LTD SS 35 Rem and fit perfectly. I don't know for sure, but I have been told that Marlin charges $250 to do a conversion. As much as I like mine, it would not be worth $250 to me. JNewell is correct, and all that is needed is a trigger plate and a stock.

I took the opportunity to install a WWG trigger while I had my gun apart, and in my opinion, it is the best "upgrade" that can be done on a Marlin levergun.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:55 PM   #495
Atticus_1354

Looks like a nice setup and I may try that when I come up with the cash to get a 336.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:14 PM   #496
retrieverman

I am seriously considering replacing my Talley mounts with a XS Lever Rail, so I can switch between a conventional scope set and a scout set up. I put one on my 1895GS this afternoon and really like it.
Old June 3, 2007, 01:20 AM   #497
Nematocyst

So, besides Retrieverman,
(who's already posted pics)
what do we look like?
Old June 5, 2007, 08:57 PM   #498
savetheclaypigeons

add me to the list!
Picked a 336W off the shelves of a pawn shop I was browsing yesterday. Seems to be mint and for $280 I couldn't resist. Always wanted a lever action and I think I picked the right one!

I am wondering though the best way to put a butt stock holder on. Make a slit to go through the swivel and stich around? Just go over the sling? I've seen both done in previous posts.

Last edited by savetheclaypigeons; June 5, 2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old June 5, 2007, 10:19 PM   #499
Nematocyst

Welcome in, Savetheclaypigeons. Just saw your photo over in the faces thread.

What do we call you for short, your THR nickname? Save? Clay? Pige ... oh, probably not.
________

Nice to be back on line again after yet another outage ...
Old June 5, 2007, 10:26 PM   #500
savetheclaypigeons

haha how about poor shot?