Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 23 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 19, 2007, 03:38 PM   #551
Nematocyst

db5, it's interesting to read that the front sight height issue is not restricted to XS. I guess that makes sense. Please keep us posted about the resolution.

Atticus, good luck searching the pawn shops. If there are enough of them in your area, and if your area is a strong deer hunting area, you may still find one this time of year. I'm told the best time to look for used 336s is right after hunting season and up into spring. By now, folks may be scarfing up the used ones getting ready for next season.

If you're willing to consider new, there's always 336Ws to be had from some of the larger chain department stores. They usually price out in the $299 range.

Let us know when you find one. Hope you can.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old June 19, 2007, 05:23 PM   #552
edrice

"Spent some time making holes in paper last night with the 336. I had put a new Williams WGRS sight on. I couldn't adjust it low enough. Now I'm ordering a new taller front sight from Williams so that I can get it adjusted for height."

Hi dbernie5,

I have the same sight and the same situation. Let me know which sight you get and how well it works.

Thanks,
Ed
Old June 19, 2007, 05:24 PM   #553
Nematocyst

I've had a couple of personal communications recently asking questions about posting pics.

Here's a quick primer. There's a much longer, but much more thorough one here.

To post a pic, you'll need to be in advanced mode (from "post reply") as it can't be done from the "quick post" box.

In advanced mode, look down below the text box for "Attach files", and the "manage attachments" button. Click it. A dialog box will open with two options: to upload an image from a web page or upload from your computer. I'll assume that the image is on your computer.

Next to "upload from your computer", click "Browse". Find the image that you want to upload (hopefully not too large; if your image is much bigger than a few hundred kB, consider downsizing it). Click it, then click "upload". It will upload. When the upload is complete, in the dialog box, below the "browse" and "upload" buttons, you will see the name of the image that you just uploaded.

Close the dialog box. The image will now be attached to the bottom of your post as a "thumbnail". Users can click on it to open the image.

If you want a full sized version of the image in your post, then either in "preview post" mode or after you've posted, click on the thumbnail. A copy of the image on the THR server will open. Highlight the URL and copy it. (CNTL-C). Close the image window. Go back to your original post. If you've already posted, click edit. In preview mode, just follow directions below.

Place your cursor where you want the image to be. (That's usually at or near the bottom, but can be anywhere.) Click on the "insert image" icon. Enter the URL of your image. Click OK, and "submit reply".

If the cybergods are smiling, your image should now be in your post.

Let us know if you have any questions about the procedure.

Nem
Old June 19, 2007, 05:25 PM   #554
Nematocyst

Ed, welcome to 336ville and to THR. We're glad you're here. Please let us know if you need anything. Cold drinks are in the fridge near the gun cabinet.

Nem
Old June 19, 2007, 10:02 PM   #555
edrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Ed, welcome to 336ville and to THR. We're glad you're here. Please let us know if you need anything. Cold drinks are in the fridge near the gun cabinet.

Nem
Thanks, Nem! Just ran across this forum a few days ago and it looks like a great one. I really like the 336 (mine is the SS with a forward mounted scope, scout rifle style). I have lots of exploring to do here.

And thanks for the cold one. It really hit the spot.

Ed
Old June 19, 2007, 10:06 PM   #556
Nematocyst

Hahaha... Ed, I suspect you're going to fit in well here.

Could you tell us more about your scout scope, please?
I'm strongly considering one for my 336A (soon as the finances allow).

I've got my eye on the Leupold Scout Scope.

Which one you got? Like it? Pros? Cons?

Old June 19, 2007, 11:10 PM   #557
JustsayMo

Cowboy Range Report II

Back to the range today to try a two more loads.

First up; Hornady 150 grain JSP, over the IMR published MAX charge of 3031. Accuracy was disappointing, 2-1/2" at 50 yards. Average Velocity = 2284 fps.

Next load, Hornady 170 JFP over the IMR pulished MAX charge of IMR 3031. The 336CB imediately showed a preference for this bullet weight. Average Velocity = 2158 and showed promising accuracy. Mid 40's eyes and open sights it challenging but my first three shots were touching in the center of the target. Pressure on I pushed the other one an inch to the right... Almost had a target worth sending in to Ranch Dog's postal match ( http://gunloads.com/fam/ranchdogmolds/PM/ )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336 CB 50 yard Target Hdy 170 IMR 3031.JPG (249.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg shootn336CB.JPG (303.2 KB, 143 views)
Old June 19, 2007, 11:12 PM   #558
Nematocyst

Dang fine lookin' rifle there, Mr. Mo.

Good shootin', too, for open sights.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:42 AM   #559
Nematocyst

I realize this is a bit OT, but ...

Could an 1894C be fitted with a pistol grip stock and matching fore end?
Old June 20, 2007, 09:51 AM   #560
Z_Infidel

Nem, here's a thread discussing that very issue:

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/vi...ht=pistol+grip
Old June 20, 2007, 11:17 AM   #561
edrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Could you tell us more about your scout scope, please?
I'm strongly considering one for my 336A (soon as the finances allow).

I've got my eye on the Leupold Scout Scope.

Which one you got? Like it? Pros? Cons?
I put the Burris 2.75X Scout on it.

I don't have it sighted in yet. One morning last winter I took it to a range and I had just also installed the WRGS rear peep sight on it only to find that the front sight was now too short. Earlier that morning I had sighted in my 1894P which just had the XS ghost ring installed. I spent so long with this other stuff that by the time I got around to sighting in the Scout scope I didn't have time to finish and had to leave the range. So that's why I was inquiring about a taller front sight. I want to get that put on before I go back out again.

Near the end I got in a hurry trying to sight it before I had to leave and got the barrel too hot which proved counterproductive.

Other than my obvious lack of experience shooting with it, the pros are, I like the compactness of the scope, the long eye-relief, and the optics seem good. Cons, I really can't think of any, but again, I don't have much experience with it yet. I'm trying to get out again in the next couple of weeks or so, so I'll follow up with more data. I'm also going to try some Hornady LeveRevolution.

I'll post a picture of maybe in a couple days or so.

Ed
Old June 20, 2007, 07:58 PM   #562
JustsayMo

I scouted my first 336. Picture at:

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1057734

I believe it is the way to go if you are going to scope a levergun. Though the magnification is low accuracy was excellent (100 yard target picture at: http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=1057735 ) and ringing gongs several hundred yards out is not a problem with a little practice and some hold over.

In the field the scout setup retains a lot of the handling/carrying characteristics of an unscoped rifle. Target aquisition is quick like iron sights and greatly aids aging eyesight.

I went with the XS mount, Leupold quick disconnect rings and a Leupold scope. I have NO complaints.

No need for hammer spurs or closing one eye to get a good sight picture. One handed carry is natural.

The only downside is the intitial investment which will probably equal or slightly exceed your investment in the rifle if you count the cost of the 'backup' irons. I initially did the Williams/firesight but much prefer the Skinner sights for there superior precision, quality and aesthetics.
Old June 21, 2007, 11:25 AM   #563
dbernie5

Edrice

The taller front site I bought is a Williams Gold Bead Code# 1648
WGB-343M / 1/16" bead

I talked to a Williams Tech and he told me that this sight should work fine with the new rear sight. I told him that I wanted one that I could still use with the front hood. He said that this one should work. I'll try it out this weekend. I'll report back as soon as I try it out.
Old June 21, 2007, 03:16 PM   #564
edrice

Thanks for the answer from dbernie5 and JustSayMo.

I took a look at the Skinner sights and it made me wish I hadn't already gotten the Williams peep on the rear. I almost went for it anyway but then decided to go ahead and just get a Williams front sight so as not to be spending extra money just for the heck of it. I'm think going to be a little more experimental and try out the fire sight.

JustSayMo, do those quick disconnects line up well back to zero when you remount the scope?

Here's a pic of mine. I have a sling for it but it's not attached -

Ed
Old June 21, 2007, 03:47 PM   #565
JustsayMo

Removal and then reinstallation of the scope does require some re-zeroing. It is usually close, <6 clicks (<1.5" @ 100 yards). The key is NOT to put your scope in your range bag unprotected , don't ask me how I know...
Old June 21, 2007, 04:02 PM   #566
edrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustsayMo
Removal and then reinstallation of the scope does require some re-zeroing. It is usually close, <6 clicks (<1.5" @ 100 yards). The key is NOT to put your scope in your range bag unprotected , don't ask me how I know...
If you put it in your bag protected, how many clicks then?

Ed
Old June 21, 2007, 04:06 PM   #567
dbernie5

I like that scope set up that Edrice and Justsaymo have. I just might have to check into that after I get the Williams sights zeroed in.
Old June 21, 2007, 04:34 PM   #568
Dr.Rob

pssst... anyone still looking to a 336 texan?

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...roducts_id=617

You don't buy it, I might.
Old June 22, 2007, 02:47 AM   #569
Nematocyst

Right purdy rifle, Dr.

Very historical looking ...

Old June 22, 2007, 03:45 PM   #570
electrode1998

scout scope

Hey Ed and Mo,
I love the look of the rifles. I always like to see how people scout scope their marlins. I did the same only with a leupold scout scope (pics posted in postings #428 and #430). I have not had a chance to take it to a good range yet but hopefully I can get there soon with a few boxes of hornady ammo. I have shot some of that ammo and I like it, but I need some more range time before deer season this year.
e'trode
Old June 22, 2007, 04:11 PM   #571
ZeSpectre

The 336 was feeling lonely so I took it to the range with me last night. Pulled the hell out of the first shot, then put 4 in a row right next to each other at 50 yards (Indoor range). Truthfully it surprised the heck out of me as I'm not really an especially good offhand shooter. Good night at the range
Old June 22, 2007, 05:07 PM   #572
Nematocyst

Quote:
I did the same only with a leupold scout scope (pics posted in postings #428 and #430).
Man, E'trode, that is such a fine looking rifle.

Just went back to take a look. That's the route I'm going:
that Leupold (once finances improve ... hopefully in a month or so ...)

I'd also forgotten that you're the member with that distinctive stock which I find just cool. Don't get me wrong, I love wood on a 336, even the very unremarkable birch on mine, and will probably leave it that way ... at least for now. But yours is just very interesting looking ...

I remember you got it on ebay, but please remind me (I just checked and couldn't find it), is it "plastic" or treated wood? How's the weight (relative to wood), balance and recoil with it?

Old June 22, 2007, 05:46 PM   #573
retrieverman

My son has officially joined the "336 Club". He has had his 336SS for a couple of months, but he finally bloodied it last night. The LeverEvs really did a number on this 225 lb boar.
Old June 22, 2007, 06:44 PM   #574
electrode1998

Cool retriverman!!!!!
Old June 22, 2007, 06:52 PM   #575
electrode1998

Nem,
The camo stock is wood and is a Marlin brand stock. I am not sure when they came out with it but I wish they would do it again in other patterns. I have the exact same gun as you and the birch stock is plain but the color is very nice. As far as weight and recoil it is about the same since both are wood. I presume the camo stock is also birch. The balance is similar to wood and the scope does add some weight but the view is well worth it!! Once I get to join the range here I'll post some range pics.

I have to admit when I got the camo stock in I had to pause and think if I wanted to change from the natural wood. I love the way the origional gun looks but the camo won out and I like it.
e'trode