Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 26 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 1, 2007, 01:57 AM   #626
JustsayMo

In my experience bore sighting is a vague approximation of where ammo will print on paper at best. Different ammo (weight, size, brand, composition) will most likely print differently. At 100 yards 170gr bullets print 4" lower than 150 grain bullets. Cast bullets even lower than that...

I range master at our club several times a month. Every time a guy comes to the range with a new gun that has been "bore sighted" I strongly urge them to go down to the 25 yard line and sight in there. They are always amazed by how far off they are. Within a half dozen shots (usually) they are zeroed at 25 yards and that translates pretty close with most rifle caliber scoped rifles to zero @ 100 yards. Then they go down and confirm that Zero at the 100 yard line. Saves time, saves ammo.

The hard headed ones go right to the 100 yard line with their new bore-sighted deer slayer, burn up a box or two without even hitting the 18"X 18" paper. After wasting $30-$80 of hunting ammo they either quit, blame the gun or head down to the 25 yard line. Some guys just have to pay the "Dumb Tax" before you can tell them anything.

Ifn' it was my 30-30 I'd just mount it square, start at the 25 yard line and shoot two at the center target. If they grouped I'd start dialing it to zero. Keep in mind that at 25 yards the typical 1 click = 1/4" doesn't work. It takes 4 clicks at 25 yards to equal 1/4" on the paper.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to reading the range report.
Old July 1, 2007, 03:16 AM   #627
Nematocyst

Sounds like good advice, Mo.

That was my intuition about bore sighting based on limited experience,
but decided to let more experienced members tell the correct story.

Good luck getting it sighted, E'trode.
Keep us posted.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 2, 2007, 10:25 AM   #628
Brassman

When I first started with my 336 I zeroed at 25 yds. That was at an indoor range and I was alone. Outside my 100 yd. shots were about 1.5" left and 2" below center. That was with factory semi-buckhorns. I really didn't know what I was doing, but the 80+ year-old that was helping me knew what he was doing. He said that if the rifle was held as I had held it that day, there would be a deer killed at 100 yds. He only difted the front sight about .001" to the right from where I had zeroed inside to get these results. The old gentleman told me to practice at 25 yds holding that zero and it would give really good results on deer inside 100 yds.
Old July 2, 2007, 11:38 AM   #629
Z_Infidel

The other members who've posted are giving good advice. I suggest boresighting yourself -- a magnetic boresighter can be a real handy tool for this.

Once you've boresighted, go to the range and zero the sights at 25 yards. If you've boresighted correctly you should at least be on paper, and probably pretty close to center. After you zero (dead on) at 25 yards, then move to the 100 yard range to establish final zero. If you think most shots will be taken within 100 yards then set your sights for dead center at 100. If however you expect to take shots out to 150 yards then I suggest setting zero at one or two inches high at 100 yards. This will provide a good practical zero for anything out to 150 yards and maybe a bit further depending on the ammo you use. The LeverEvolution stuff shoots flatter so you would want to compensate for that accordingly.

I have the ghost ring sights on my 336C carbine zeroed at 75 yards, and I shoot conventional 170 gr bullets in that gun. My scoped 336XLR is zeroed an inch high at 100 yards, and I shoot LeverEvolution bullets in it. I figure that is a good zero for out to about 200 yards with that gun and ammo combination.
Old July 3, 2007, 03:16 AM   #630
Nematocyst

Going camping for a few days.

You guys take care of the club house ...

Old July 3, 2007, 05:32 PM   #631
PITBULL

how do you take out the retianing pin out of the bolt of a 336 30-30?
i need to replace the fireing pin and sprang i thank.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:41 PM   #632
DAdams

Nems Gone

Since Nem has gone camping it's time to tear the house down.

The woods will be a safer place since goodness knows how many firearms he has with him this trip. Remember stainless in the moonlight? Better get that 65 and do a black ceramacote job on it for stealthy mountain woodland trips Nem.
Have a safe one.

I finally got around to taking some photos of a family heirloom that was recently handed down to me. One of four rifles. Two Winchesters, one Savage 300 and ...... a mint Marlin 336RC 1947 vintage. It has 7 deer to its credit; all swamp bucks taken from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan near Newberrry.

That meat with some pork mixed in was excellent as ground for burgers. The steaks dipped in eggs, bread crumbs and pan fried was tasty too with a hint of cedar.

I remember shooting this when I was 15 and that was many moons ago.

Weaver 4X Scope.
Old July 3, 2007, 07:03 PM   #633
electrode1998

Thanks for ALL the info. guys. I might try to buy and boresight the rifle myself first, then if I have problems take it to the store that will do it for free. However if they do it for free how much care can they realy put into the job. Kind of like "anything worth doing is worth doing yourself". Plus if I do it myself that means another trip to the range (shucks).
Realy, all of the info. ya'll shared is terrific and I am going to print it so I can take it to the range and forget it before I get there.

e'trode
Old July 8, 2007, 07:54 AM   #634
Nematocyst

Quote:
Since Nem has gone camping it's time to tear the house down.
LOL.

Now, that's the spirit.

Nice rifle, DA.

So, I got back from camp a few hours ago.

The experience generated several ideas about weaponry, one of which is here.
Some of you may have opinions.
Details at a later time.

For now, just this: the 336 is still my deer rifle of choice,
but I am starting to consider a camp carbine in .357 Mag
to complement the mod 65 ... for "everyday" use ...

Old July 8, 2007, 06:12 PM   #635
Taffnevy

What do you guys think is the best fixed power scope for the 336 in the $400-$600 range?
Old July 8, 2007, 06:34 PM   #636
JustsayMo

For hunting I like low power scopes. Wider field of view and quicker target acquisition. The Leupold 2x Scout scope is excellent. I wouldn't go higher than a 4X which is plenty at hunting ranges.
Old July 8, 2007, 07:02 PM   #637
electrode1998

Hey Taff.
Ditto to what Mo just said. I have the Leupold 4x scout on my 336 in the scout forward mount posistion and I love it. Plus it did not cost as much as your budget. Maybe close to the $400 mark with the xs scope rail, rings, and scope included.
Have fun.
e'trode
Old July 8, 2007, 08:16 PM   #638
Nematocyst

Taff, I'm standing over here with Mo and E'trode. I haven't scoped my 336 yet, but will - definitely will - and will go with a Leupold 2X Scout scope.

(E'trode: are you sure yours is 4X? Do they make, or have they made, both 2X and 4X?)

Old July 8, 2007, 11:57 PM   #639
paintballdude902

whats a good price for a 336sc in .30-30
Old July 9, 2007, 10:57 AM   #640
Z_Infidel

Taffnevy: you may decide to go the Scout Scope route, but if you don't then I would suggest a Leupold Ultralight 2.5X20 fixed power scope. It won't change the handling qualities of your rifle dramatically, will give very good optical clarity and is a good rugged scope. I have the 1-4X20 version on my XLR and am very happy with it. And 2.5 power is plenty for the range within lever guns are typically used.
Old July 9, 2007, 02:35 PM   #641
Nematocyst

Quote:
...a Leupold Ultralight 2.5X20 fixed power scope.
Z, that's an interesting option. I'd overlooked it until you mentioned it.

Here's a description of one, and not a bad price for a Leupold.

I think I'm going to go with a scout scope. But I'm still not completely sure about that because they are designed to be used with both eyes open, and since I'm cross eye dominant, I'm having trouble using that with rifle sights. I often still wind up briefly closing one eye (left) to develop a sight image with my right. After I've got the image, I can usually open my left eye and still maintain the correct sight image while firing.

But I'm still working on that technique. I've thought about trying to retrain myself to shoot leftie, but at 50-something, I don't think that's easily doable. I'd rather just adapt my sighting technique if I can.

Anyway, if I don't go with a scout scope (after trying one on a borrowed rifle), I may go with the Leupold you recommended.

Old July 9, 2007, 03:05 PM   #642
Z_Infidel

As a follow-up to the last couple of posts, here's a bit of advice on mounting a conventional scope. If you decide to use quick-detachable mounts, don't go with the Leupold base on a Marlin. The device works very nicely from a mechanical standpoint, but the base isn't flat enough to allow you to use your irons with the scope removed. It's too bad, because it is a good design other than that. I have Warne bases and QD rings on my XLR and they do allow you to use the irons with the scope removed. Obviously this is a moot point if the scout setup is used.
Old July 9, 2007, 07:46 PM   #643
Taffnevy

A lot of recommendations for a Leupold, but I've read that they are Chinese made now. If I'm going to buy foreign I'd prefer a Nikon.

Or perhaps a Zeiss.

Any good recs on these two for a low power fixed? I've been to the scope forums, but it's all really confusing.
Old July 9, 2007, 09:14 PM   #644
Nematocyst

Taff,

There are some counterfeit scopes being imported from China with the Leupold name on them.
Leupold has issued a warning about them.

AFAIK, Leupold's are manufactured here in Oregon, up near Portland.

Here's a paragraph from a Chuck Hawk's essay:

Quote:
For over 35 years the Leupold plant has been in its present location, an impressive 150,000 square foot building situated on 24 acres in an industrial park in Beaverton, Oregon, USA. There is a small display of historic Leupold scope models in their reception area, some of which we recognized--we are getting old. The hallways, cafeteria and public areas of this facility are decorated with landscape photographs taken by Leupold employees and many fine big game trophies. Clearly they are outdoorsmen and hunters at Leupold.

Old July 10, 2007, 10:39 PM   #645
electrode1998

Hey Nem.
You are right. My scope is a 2.5x28. You know it's been too long between range trips when you cannot even what equipment you own.
I would stick with leupold scopes not just for the quality but also the warranty!!!!
e'trode.
Old July 10, 2007, 11:09 PM   #646
Nematocyst

Quote:
You know it's been too long between range trips when you cannot even what equipment you own.
<laughs>

Unfortunately, I know what you mean, my friend.

Old July 11, 2007, 01:44 AM   #647
Taffnevy

OK, so I'm a little confused.

Reading those threads there were a few folks that said that Leupold's are now made in China, and that the "fakes" were from the same factory??

My question is: Are there genuine, non-Chinese Leupold's made in the U.S.?
I went through the Leupold site, and not once did it say that the scopes are made in the U.S.

On a related note.....I live in RI and I talked to an employee of Swarovski, and she told me that all of their scopes are now made in China!

I'll tell you what I'm looking for: a good quality fixed 6X42 scope at a fair price. That is not manufactured in China.
Old July 11, 2007, 02:03 AM   #648
Nematocyst

Taff,

That is an interesting question.

I googled "Leupold China", and got several hits.

Here are three:

Amazon

York

MTN

Hopefully those will help you make a decision.

Nem

Old July 11, 2007, 04:27 AM   #649
454c

Leupy rifle scopes are built in the US. As mentioned above, there are some fakes floating around. If a scope looks questionable, a call to Leupold will tell you if it's the real deal or a wannabe.

Part of the confusion may be due to Leup's budget line of BINOCULARS. The green ring binos are imported.

Gold ring = US
Green ring = imported
Old July 11, 2007, 05:47 AM   #650
Nematocyst

336-ville roster

_N4Z_
.45Guy
454c
4fingermick
Action_Can_Do
Airborne Falcon
applekev