Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 30 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 21, 2007, 09:47 PM   #726
electrode1998

Exclamation Range report!!!!

Wahoo!!!
Finally made it to the range-the indoor one. Not a member of the good outdoor one yet. My 10 yr. old shot her .22 for the first time today and she did great as usual.
Due to the fact she was breaking in a new rifle.
I did bring the 336 and shot some o.k. groupings. The range max is 25 yards.
I have to admit I shot both the L.E. ammo and the Corelock ammo and I LOVE the L.E.
I am sticking only with the L.E. Corelock is o.k. but the L.E. fires sooo much nicer.
I'll try to post some pics later.
e'trode

Last edited by electrode1998; July 22, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: mistype
Old July 22, 2007, 10:33 AM   #727
JustsayMo

Nem, both videos are worth having. Also note that the 1894/336 video/dvd essentially covers the 1895 too. Two vids cover all the long tools in your 'tool kit.'
Old July 22, 2007, 04:53 PM   #728
Nematocyst

Quote:
Two vids cover all the long tools in your 'tool kit.'
Good point, Mo. Nice to know they cover (essentially, even if not explicitly) the 1895, also. (Of course, that one is still a ways off for me, as you know, but nice to know I'll have that base covered when I do get it.

E'trode, looking forward to hearing more on your experience with the LE.

Can you tell us more of what it is about the LE that melts your butter better? As you know, they ain't cheap ...

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels

Last edited by Nematocyst; July 22, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old July 22, 2007, 05:33 PM   #729
electrode1998

L.E. vs. Corelock

Nem.,
The core lock is a good round and is dependable, but at the range you can tell that the L.E. is a "hotter" round. It has more kick and the hole that it puts thru paper is larger in diameter. Even with the slightly larger kick the rifle is more controlable. It is wierd but the L.E. kick is twords the rear and the corelock tends to kick the barrel upward.

My groupings with the L.E. are much tighter. From the bench on shooters bag I had no problem stacking the L.E. into a 1" square.(a total of 4 or 5 rounds).

The corelock, I had a hard time putting them into a 2-3" circle. Once again 4-5 round grouping.

I have shot one L.E. in the woods and my first reaction was "Man this is a hot round and I love it!!"

I'll post more info and pics when I get some time this week to take them.
e'trode
Old July 22, 2007, 05:38 PM   #730
electrode1998

Oh yea, I forgot to mention the price difference around here is not too bad. The L.E. goes for about $1.00 per round and the corelock goes for about .83 cents per round.
The cost is well worth it IMHO. To get good at the shooting and sighting practice I may end up spending about $100 on ammo but if I was going to spend about $82 on the corelocks I guess I'll practice and hunt with what I realy like. Lord knows I spend money on dumber stuff.
e'trode
Old July 22, 2007, 05:58 PM   #731
Nematocyst

You're making a pretty good argument for the LE, there, E'trode.

Will definitely try them out ... once I get my sights to a point where I can at least hit paper at 50 yds.
I'm going to get basic sighting done first with the less expensive stuff, then move to LE and refine.

Old July 22, 2007, 06:06 PM   #732
electrode1998

I have the scope and shots on paper consistantly at 25 yards. Now I have to join the outdoor range in the next month and see what happens at longer ranges. I know a guy who will sight any rifle/scope for $16 at whatever range you want. For that money I think I am going to let him sight in my 336 at 200 yards to center on the crosshairs since the L.E. is definetly good for that range.
Plus this should save me some time at the range.
e'trode
Old July 22, 2007, 08:21 PM   #733
Nematocyst

E'trode,

Do you have a sense of what the trajectory for the LE looks like out of our rifles? (The Hornady site focuses on the longer XLR; don't think I've seen data yet for a 20" 336.

Sighted at 200, I'm curious about where would one have to put the x'hairs to hit at 50, 100 and 150.

Any thoughts?

Old July 22, 2007, 08:39 PM   #734
Nematocyst

Earlier, I posted the following into the 336 club as a response to someone who pointed out how much he liked lever guns.

I waxed a little poetic about an exercise that I've found really useful in getting to know my levers better.

Thought I'd put it over here, too, since it applies to both guns (and all lever guns, for that matter).

For me, there's just something about being able to shuck that next rnd into the chamber using one of the oldest technologies in the human tool kit: levers. It's that extra level of control, and the feeling of it, the sheer tactile sense.

I like it way better than 'matics.

A few nights ago, I sat with my unloaded 336 and just levered it about a hundred times, then let the hammer down real slow to half cock, feeling it, trying to make the feeling second nature.

The following night, I did the same with my 39A.

Some fast, but most just really, really slow - literally slow motion - just to feel every part of the motion, where metal contacts other metal, how the bolt slides back, then forward, noticing the points where something "new" in the sequence happens all along the way, trying to visualize the inside, and picture in my mind where a little polishing might smooth things up some.

It was not only educational - in a sense of getting to know my rifle better - but helped in the ongoing break in, and down right meditative.

Polishing coming this week ... for several guns actually ...

Old July 23, 2007, 02:55 AM   #735
Nematocyst

Yet another reason I own lever guns.

Old July 23, 2007, 05:23 AM   #736
yongxingfreesty

how easy is it to clean a lever 30-30?
Old July 23, 2007, 02:59 PM   #737
MrDig

Location: Where all the women are strong, the men are good looking and all the children are above average
It Depends on the Lever Gun. Marlins are a breeze to clean and maintain compared to Winchesters. Field and Detail Stripping are the same, Give me a Marlin over Winchester or it's clones any day of the week.
Old July 23, 2007, 03:44 PM   #738
Z_Infidel

Nem: if you plan to use LeverEvolution in your 336, be advised that they commonly shoot quite a bit higher than conventional .30-30 rounds. There should be no problem adjusting a scope for either type of ammo, but if using a ghost ring setup you may actually need a different front sight for the LE stuff. It somewhat depends on the rifle, as well. My 336C with ghost rings is sighted in for conventional 170 gr bullets while my XLR with scope is sighted for the LE ammo. Two different rifles for two different uses, especially since the .30-30 LeverEvolution isn't too far from .308ME territory.

It's always fun to work this stuff out at the range...
Old July 23, 2007, 04:03 PM   #739
Nematocyst

Quote:
be advised that they commonly shoot quite a bit higher than conventional .30-30 rounds
Wow, this is very interesting.

I'm picturing some monstrous 1"-tall sight on the front end now.

I'm almost tempted to bag the GR's on my 336 for now, and put them on the 1894C when I get it. Like you pointed out in post 704, Z, these will fit the 336. (Unlike what I had incorrectly asserted after looking at the XS web pages.)

The GR's are/were going to be back up to the scout scope anyway. I just bought them first because they were cheaper by 3X, and I thought I'd want to get used to them first.

Maybe I'm going to turn that around now.

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Also, let me please repeat this: if anyone finds a set of data on the I-net anywhere for the ballistics (trajectories and velocities) of LE from a traditional, non-XLR 336 (20" barrel), please post it here. All I've seen so far is ballistics for the XLR.

Nem

Old July 23, 2007, 04:14 PM   #740
imphilb

"AGI Marlin Lever Action 1894 & 336" Tech Manual & Armorers Course
Thanks, Mo. I'll order it.
Phil
Old July 23, 2007, 04:14 PM   #741
Nematocyst

This just in ...

I just revisited the Hornady site for the first time in months to look for updated ballistics charts for standard rifle lengths.

They've made some changes. I haven't fully digested it yet (well, not even close), but found two things of interest:

1) A down-loadable (pdf) ballistics chart for a bunch of calibers (including but not restricted to .30-30) comparing LE with more traditional rnds. However, I can't find any reference to barrel length for any of the rifles.

2) a pretty cool set of essays about ballistics. (maybe this has been there all along, but it's new to me)

Hmmm. Looks like a lot of homework ...

Old July 23, 2007, 05:59 PM   #742
Z_Infidel

Here's some ballistic info:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm

Typical internet disclaimer, yada yada yada...
Old July 23, 2007, 06:32 PM   #743
Nematocyst

Thanks, Z.

Funny, I saw that link in my google search,
but got caught up looking at the Hornady site
and forgot to look at it.

Interesting exercise, this is.

Old July 23, 2007, 09:02 PM   #744
electrode1998

Nem.
I don't know bout aim points if I have the crosshairs put at 200 yards, but if it is too much of a change I will have him sight it in or I will sight it in at 100 standard setting and adjust for the bullet drop-all be it minimal that it shoud be-for 200 yards.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
e'trode
Old July 25, 2007, 04:51 PM   #745
.41 magnum man

Smile I might have to change my handle to 30/30 man!

Boy, did I get lost! Nematocyst, thanks for setting me straight. I was in the Marlin .22 section. So I copied what I put there and put it here:

I guess I need to be in this club. My dad bought a Marlin 336 30/30 sometime around 1976 or '77. I remember he took me on my first deer hunt the same year he bought it, and I carried that gun. We were hiking down a steep hill and I stepped on a wet log and slipped and fell and dropped the gun. It had a hammer side extention (that is what I call it anyway) and it got knocked off. I felt real bad about that. I killed my first deer with that gun when I was 17 or 18, and took several more in the years that followed. Years later I found out one of my brothers had ended up with the gun and I traded him out of it. I still have it, and I have taken quite a few deer with it since then. Two years ago I bought a Savage 25-06 and hunted with it. This summer I bought a Ruger .41 magnum and decided I need to get into reloading. I could not afford to get a reloading kit, so I decided to sell a gun.
It was between the Savage and the Marlin, but the decision was not a hard one for me to make at all. The Savage would go. So I sold it a last week and ordered my reloading kit.

Well, being new to this site, I just found this thread today about the Marlin Club. I read around 7 pages and just couldn't take it anymore. I had to get out my Marlin. I went to town earlier today and bought some new scope mounts to replace the see through mounts I have had on the gun for years. I never have used the open sights and I figure getting the scope lower might make it better. So I took those off, and cleaned it up (getting off the dust and putting a little oil on it) and all the while recalling all the fun I've had with that baby. The poor old gun has been through hell. It is scratched and dinged up pretty good. I took the butt stock off and sanded it down to put a new finish on it. I am a pretty good artist, so I am thinking of either carving something on the side of it, or wood burning in a scene. (I am bad about customizing anything I ever get. It is a wonder I haven't done anything to it already!)

It isn't as pretty as that Savage, or some of my other guns, but I feel I have the best combo in the land: My Marlin and Ruger .41. And what I hear about those new Hornady Leverevolution bullets, I can shoot as far as I would ever need to anyway. Though I have made some pretty good shots with that Marlin as it is.

Well, thanks for the memories. And if permitted, I'd be honored to join The Club.

Jeff (The .41 Magnum Man)

Woo Hoo! I'm a senior member having a senior moment!

Everyone should know John 3:16
Old July 25, 2007, 04:56 PM   #746
Nematocyst

Jeff,

THR is a huge forum.

Even Rifle Country looks like virtual big sky country,
so it's easy to get lost in here.

Glad you found us 336 folks over here.

Hang out for a spell.
Cold drinks are in the fridge.

Nem

Old July 25, 2007, 06:13 PM   #747
Z_Infidel

Hey .41 Mag, you made a good call in replacing those see-through mounts with a lower mount. The lower the sight is to the bore the better! I think you'll be much happier with it that way.
Old July 26, 2007, 12:05 AM   #748
Nematocyst

Sooo ... went to the range today. Carried the "new" 65 (a story in itself; I'll tell that one elsewhere) and the 336.

I only had about an hour for the whole visit, but my goal was - other than trying out the 65 - to gather enough data to tell XS how high I'm hitting so they can send me a taller front post.

I shot about 9 each ("groups" of 3) of two kinds of rnds: Federal Powershok 170's and Hornady LE.

I learned two things:

1) I gotta get a recoil pad on this puppy before I get serious about sighting in.
Especially with the LE. Them's a bit stouter than the others, even the 170's.

2) I think I'm going to like the LE a LOT. Even though I'm still WAY off - because I'm still new to the gun, new to GR, new to LE, and of course am not sighted in yet - they definitely had a tendency to produce noticeably tighter groups.

Data at 50 yds with rear sight screwed out 3 full (360*) turns as per instructed by XS:

* Powershok, ranged from 4-8" high
* Hornady LE: ranged from 10 - 12" high.
(I had to shoot at the bottom of a 12" target to even hit paper. )

Since I'm going to clean it soon, I may try my hand at tuning while I've got it taken down.

Nem

Old July 26, 2007, 09:37 AM   #749
Z_Infidel

Well, the good news is: that should be all the folks at XS need in order to send you a front sight post.

I'm looking forward to getting a final 100 yard zero on my XLR with the LeverEvolution ammo next week. Fun awaits!
Old July 26, 2007, 10:24 AM   #750
W.E.G.

Quote:
how easy is it to clean a lever 30-30?
Piece of cake if you can operate a screwdriver.

Remove one screw, the lever comes out, and the bolt will slide right out so you can clean the bore from the rear. Although, I think you could clean the rifle by using a simple pull-through device for the life of the rifle.

The magazine tube removes easliy too (again, screwdriver required).