Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 31 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 26, 2007, 10:17 AM   #751
fiVe

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrode1998 on 19 July
I had a busy week but I promise I will get some detailed pics of my 336 with the skinner sights VERY soon. What type of pics are you looking for. Down the barrell, side view, what?
Wow, I've gotten behind on my reading here. E'trode, any and every angle, view, or perspective. The more pics, the better (if I may be so bold).

I don't shoot my 336 enough, but I do enjoy this thread.
Old July 26, 2007, 11:34 AM   #752
JustsayMo

Don't forget to pull out the ejector spring once you pull the bolt.

Note it's location before you do. Older and new versions are slightly different. A quick peek and you'll know and appreciate the simplicity of the design.
Old July 26, 2007, 08:33 PM   #753
336A

Hi all first time post here but I have been following this for quite some time. I am a member of the 336 club as well and have been for since 2001. Last year I took a nice fat dry doe with mine and Hornady Leverevolution ammo.
Old July 27, 2007, 12:39 AM   #754
.41 magnum man

I just got my Marlin back to gether. Put new, lower scope mounts on, and took off my rear stock, sanded it, and "tattooed" a picture of a nice buck surrounded by some oak leaves at the butt. The picture takes up about half the stock on one side. I thought about doing the whole side, but once I got it back on the gun, it looks darn good the way it is with the walnut showing on the front half. I'll try to post a picture of it soon. I may have to go into this as a side business. It looks mighty good, if I do say so myself.

Woo Hoo! I'm a senior member having a senior moment!

Everyone should know John 3:16
Old July 27, 2007, 03:51 AM   #755
yongxingfreesty

i cant wait to buy the marlin 336w from academy. after i sell the cetme, im heading straight there.
Old July 27, 2007, 08:45 PM   #756
electrode1998

Welcome 336A. Hopefully I will be getting some deer this year with mine and the L.E. ammo.

FIVE: I have busy saturday but hopefully I can get the camera and the 336 out on Sunday and shoot some pics. We will see what comes out.
e'trode
Old July 27, 2007, 09:23 PM   #757
Nematocyst

336A, welcome to 336-ville and THR.

What a fine name. Looking forward to more stories about LE. Please tell us what you know and have experienced with it.

Mag'man (what is your low keystroke nickname? 41mag?), I look forward to pics of your latest project!
Wow, that sounds interesting.

Yong (Xing? Freesty? What do we call you for short?), the 336W is a fine rifle. Some slight differences from the A, but similar birch stock, both different than the C (walnut stock). I'd personally give away the stock sling that comes with it and put on a Quake Claw or something else, but I think they're fine guns that'll tune up and shoot just as good as any other Marlin. With love and care, they can be beautiful.

OK, dinner time, then a working (but fun!) night in the studio. I'll check in later.

Happy Friday everybody. Party down!

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 27, 2007, 09:26 PM   #758
.41 magnum man

Pictures of My Marlin 336

No matter how hard I try, the flash always messes up the picture some. But, anyway, here is my gun with a picture I woodburned on the stock. I have not put a finish on it yet as I may put some more pictures on it. What do you think? Should I put something else, or leave it as is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 30 30.JPG (13.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg MarlinWoodburningCloseUp.JPG (22.2 KB, 140 views)

Old July 27, 2007, 09:28 PM   #759
yongxingfreesty

you can just call me yx, money order is coming in. so excited.
Old July 27, 2007, 10:45 PM   #760
.41 magnum man

Hey, Nem, .41mag is fine. I don't care what anybody calls me, as long as I get called for dinner!

Old July 27, 2007, 10:51 PM   #761
JustsayMo

Highly impressive work 41!
Old July 27, 2007, 11:20 PM   #762
Nematocyst

Yx, I like the name.
Now we got YX, Z, and Ze.
Such an alphabetic group we are.
Money order coming,
we will soon add a W.

41, that really is cool.
I like it.
how are you doing that,
if we may ask without infringing
on trade or artistic secrets?

Old July 28, 2007, 10:16 AM   #763
.41 magnum man

Ancient family secret, but for just $29.99, I'll share it with you! You will be an instant success! Money will come rolling in! The girls will love you!

Actually, I do that artwork with a woodburning tool. I use to make clocks, mirrors, personalized ornaments, and even some custom work on other people's wooden items. I got into taxidermy and sometimes people want something etched into their antler panels. I did a fish for a little girl and decorated around the plaque with some morning glory vines and flowers, her name on a banner, and she and her mother were tickled.

I got into doing it over 15 years ago. I was working in a gas station and made this big mirror, about 3 x 3 foot with a wide border around it. All around that border I put a collage of animals and plantlife. I brought it down to the gas station to show it off to a few people and had it setting in the window for a few days. Next thing I know people from all over, even out of state, are coming in just to see it. My boss was a great guy, and he had an empty display case in the storefront. He said, why don't you make some more stuff and put it in there and see if it sells. So I did, and he wouldn't even take a percentage of it, and sold some stuff there. Then I got into craft shows and did well too. After a few years though, I had a terrible thing happen. I met this woman, and I got brainwashed, and I got married, and I got out of doing that stuff on the scale I use to. But I enjoy doing it. A scene the size above takes around 3 hours to do.

I know, I know, you asked a simple question and I had to go write a book about it! That's me, a gabber.

Old July 28, 2007, 10:40 AM   #764
336A

Quote:
What a fine name. Looking forward to more stories about LE. Please tell us what you know and have experienced with it.
Thanks for the warm welcome to the site. As for the Hornady LE ammo it works very very well on deer. Now granted the doe I took last year was only about 75 yards away. But when I climbed down the bank that I was standing on the surronding vegitation was covered in spoor from the exit of the bullet. It lookeed as though I shot her with my 7mm Mag, and she only went 20yd before giving up the gohst. From everything that I've read it also works well at extended rangesas well. There is a guy over at Marlin Owners who took a doe at 200yds the first year that the ammo was avaialble. His experience was the same as mine though his dropped on the spot.
From my rifle this ammo is very accurate as well, I get about 1" to 1.25" groups at 100yds. I have the drop figured and awould not hesitate to take a 250yd shot so long as I could get set up properly for it. Otherwise I will just try and get closer if possible. I am hoping that I can get a shot at a black bear this year and this is the combo that I will be using. And I am sure that it will work just as well for them as well.
Old July 28, 2007, 02:57 PM   #765
Nematocyst

336A, thanks for sharing that info on the LE. I'm reading and hearing stories about those kinds of tight groups at 100 yds increasingly in various places. It's making me think I may "dedicate" my 336 to the LE ammo, that is, sight in with it and use it pretty exclusively if my rifle indeed likes it. The price is higher, but for that kind of accuracy, and that extended range (for the open pine woodlands that I'll likely be hunting in some), I think it could be worth it.

.41, great story about the wood "tattooing". That's a talent. I'll bet you could get some business around here offering to do gun stocks. Maybe you should decide on a proposed price per hour (best way to do it since it would allow simple or complex designs to be priced at the same rate). Then, folks could send you ideas for images they wanted, you could make suggestions about additions or modifications, and offer them a price.

As for being a "gabber", you'll find you're in good company here. I think my middle initial is "G". Besides, that's what Internet forums are about in large part - sharing ideas - and there's no harm in telling the full story with intriguing details.

Old July 28, 2007, 03:16 PM   #766
336A

Nematocyst don't forget about the Federal Fusion ammo as well. It shoots just as well from 336 and I witnessed two deer being shot with it in 30-30. It too is good ammo, I only use it and the hornady in my 336A.
Old July 28, 2007, 03:22 PM   #767
Nematocyst

336A (and others), I've tried the Fusion, and will try it again once I get a recoil pad installed and my sighting issues resolved (maybe put on a scope).

I'm wondering this though: don't you need to sight the rifle differently with LE than with Fusion? Or do you sight correctly to 100 yds with one of them, then see what the other does and adjust accordingly?

Seems like we discussed this much earlier in the thread, and agreed that the latter technique could be confusing ... a lot of data to keep in mind about what does what, even though I guess only two kinds of rnds, with one "right on" and the other modified by X, wouldn't be too bad.

Nem

Old July 28, 2007, 03:47 PM   #768
336A

Nematocyst, the Fusion ammo is dead on center for me at 100yds and about 1 inch high. The Hornady L.E. is also perfectly centered and is about 1 1/2" higher @100yd.
Old July 28, 2007, 03:48 PM   #769
retrieverman

I have dedicated ALL my 30-30's to LeverEv ammo, but some do shoot it better than others. My worst is my 336T with an 18" barrel, and the best I have gotten out of it is 1.5" at 100 yards. My best is my 336SS, and it will do under an inch at 100.

On game, LeverEvs are super. I have killed 4 deer and 3 hogs, and not a single animal has taken a step after being shot. You gotta love that!

I'M SOLD!!!
Old July 28, 2007, 08:25 PM   #770
JustsayMo

Retrieverman,
You might as well sell me that inaccurate 336 of your's. I'm sure you are too embarrassed to take it to the range anyway. Heck I bet the deer aren't even skerd of it

All this talk about LE makes me think I ought to give it a try in 30-30.
Old July 28, 2007, 08:35 PM   #771
Nematocyst

Mo, even with my limited experience described above,
far off bullseye, I'm still convinced it's got something going on.

I recommend a box just for trial.

Old July 29, 2007, 12:06 AM   #772
.41 magnum man

I'd be tickled to death...

to do artwork on anyone's stock if they would like. Or on any type of wood as far as that goes. Or I could even make a custom mirror or clock. Members here would get the family treatment: You get to pay double! hee hee
Naw, I'd be reasonable.

On another note, I have enjoyed hearing about the Leverevolution ammo. I am going to get some for this deer season. It would be nice if Hornady would sell just the bullets for reloading. I guess they are making too much money to do that. Maybe in a few years we'll see some.

Has anyone tried out the Leverevolution scope in Cabelas? Any reviews from fellow Marlin fanatics?

Old July 29, 2007, 01:30 AM   #773
.41 magnum man

Marlin Country

I have too much time on my hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin Country.JPG (58.3 KB, 103 views)

Old July 29, 2007, 01:40 AM   #774
Nematocyst

How cool: our first cartoon!

Old July 29, 2007, 02:43 AM   #775
TehK1w1

Hey everybody. I'm planning on joining the ranks of 336 owners within a week so i figured i'd stop by and say hi. I have a somewhat interesting reason to buy one. I will be taking a job as a hunting guide on THE King Ranch soon and my new employer does not allow carry of handguns, so I figured I'd carry a rifle instead. After some research, i decided on the 336C in .35 Winchester. I look forward to getting it

If YOU had a wounded pig/Nilgai charging you would you rather have:

A. A scoped, bolt-action rifle (.270 or .30-06)

B. A 12-gauge pump shottie with buckshot

C. A Makarov pistol (9x18MM)

D. A Marlin 336 in .35 win

Did you have to wear welder's goggles when you set that beast off? Does the manual tell you to scream "fire in the hole!" when you pull the trigger? Does the Forest Service you tell you to keep that thing out of the woods on hot, dry days? Do you still have eyebrows? Can it fire grape shot? I could go on . . .
-Shear_Stress