Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 39 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 7, 2007, 10:06 PM   #951
electrode1998

Talking

Hey N4Z,
I have had my skinners for a few months now and I used them at the range before I scoped my 336 and they were very easy to use and I liked the results.
The factory irons I could never quite get the results I wanted.
Now I just have them for back up with my scope, but if the scope ever goes I still have my skinners.
Enjoy,
e'trode
Old September 9, 2007, 10:00 AM   #952
JustsayMo

Federal Power Shok

I picked up some FEDERAL POWER-SHOK ammo at Joe's (formerly GI Joes) because it was too dang inexpensive. $8 with a $5 rebate. With the tax it's cheaper than what I could reload it for...

I went from the store to the range and proceed to put it on paper. Wow! It shoots as well as my handloads in my 336 CB. Consistently under 2" at 100 yards counting the fliers. It had sub-groups inside of an inch. Not bad for store bought ammo

I didn't chronograph it, maybe today if I get the chance.

Mo
Old September 9, 2007, 03:12 PM   #953
_N4Z_

My 336 shoots the Fed PowerShok 170gr better than anything else. I as of yet do not reload.

With the factory sights I can group just a hair over 2 inches @ 100 yrds with the front of the rifle on a sandbag. Always makes me grin. Set around 3.5 inches high at 100 for a 200 yard zero.

What I really like to do though for accuracy practice is shoot at a 12" x 6" x 5/8"thick, oblong steel gong hanging @ 100 yards. Sling only, standing, kneeling and prone. Loud noise is the ticket!
Old September 10, 2007, 01:16 PM   #954
WiscTJK

Skinner Sites

Nema and Electrode - Thanks for the quick response. I will look into them. I apologize for the newbie questions as I am a, lets say, late bloomer for firearms and hunting.

Electrode, are you using see thru sites for your scope mount? If not, how would you use them as back-up.

I currently have see-thru sites and a fixed 4x scope. But, the scope sits too high now, and I don't want to rely on just the scope (just a mental thing I guess). Plus, the current factory sites just don't work for me. Is there some sort of quick release I could put on the scope?

Thanks for the help. Great thread here.

Nematocyst - your previous posts showing your tear down got me (a rookie with limited mechanical skills) to at least pull out the lever and bolt and give it a good cleaning. Haven't done the full tear down, yet. I am working up to that. The simplicity of the lever handle and bolt connection in the frame is really genious.

I bought the lever to hunt a little more cost effective, and I am already hooked on Marlin levers!
Old September 10, 2007, 03:52 PM   #955
Nematocyst

Wisc,

Good to hear you're "hooked". These are great, classic guns.

As for the scope issue, I won't speak for E'trode, but for myself, I intend to use GR sights as back ups in the sense that a scout scope will be my main sight (I think), but if need be - as in damage to the scope (unlikely, but ... ) I can just remove it entirely and use the GRs.

I'll mount my scope as low as possible with Leupold quick release rings like these. Key term there: quick release: doesn't require tools in the field. Or so I'm told. This is all hypothesis to me; haven't tried them out yet. I'm learning as I go.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old September 11, 2007, 11:07 AM   #956
Z_Infidel

From past experience I'd say the Leupold quick release rings work pretty darn well. The Leupold QR base is a bit too thick to allow use of the factory irons on a 336 with a scope mounted in the conventional position over the receiver, but Warne makes a 2-piece base that works fine with Warne QR rings. The Leupold rings will probably work fine with a scout scope though.

Wisc, I suggest dumping the see-thru mount and using a QR setup to mount your scope as low to the bore as you can. The handling characteristics of your rifle will be a lot better that way, and so will your cheek weld. The Warne setup works well on a 336 -- I think I still have mine around if you're interested. I think I still have the Leupold version as well. Mechanically the Leupold is very good but it's just not quite flat enough to allow use of the factory irons with the scope removed (kinda defeats the purpose IMO).
Old September 15, 2007, 02:41 PM   #957
MrDig

Location: Where all the women are strong, the men are good looking and all the children are above average
I don't know, but I like my see through scope mounts. Takes a little patience to set them up originally but less rigamarole after you are done. Plus my old eyes almost always need the scope.
Old September 15, 2007, 08:44 PM   #958
ChopperKen

I had a 336 15 years ago, nice 30-30. always missed that gun.
Today I picked up another one at a garage sale for 250.00
336 44mag made in late 1964, the same as me.
Only 2820 of them made as they discontinued them in 64.
seems to group about minute of whitetail at 100 yards. so I think I've got my new brush gun...
Ken

" I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do"
-Gloria Doster-
Old September 15, 2007, 09:35 PM   #959
Nematocyst

Ken, welcome in.

Wow! A new caliber in the club. Didn't know the 336 was ever made in .44 mag.

Very cool.

We'll have some fun comparing ballistics, use for game, etc, between 336 .30-30 v .44 mag 336.

Of course, pics are strongly encouraged, especially with finds like this one.

Old September 15, 2007, 09:49 PM   #960
ChopperKen

Thanks Nematocyst,
I'll try to get picks tomarrow, Today I took the scope off of it (scopes on a lever gun are not my cup of tea).
So far Ive shot it at 50 yards(2" spread)with the open sights.
Ken

" I was trying to blow his brains out is what I was trying to do"
-Gloria Doster-
Old September 15, 2007, 10:24 PM   #961
Sistema1927

Marlin is still making similar levers in .44, they are the 1894 now.

I want my country back!
Old September 16, 2007, 10:02 AM   #962
Texasred51

managed recoil 30-30 remingtons in 336

I just inherited a 336 30-30, and I need to kill some feral hogs with it. Last time I shot this rifle was when I was 16, that was 40 years ago... and I am female. I did get a couple of the porkers last week with slugs from my shotgun, but my shoulder hated it. When I get the 336 back from getting cleaned up, I want to use Remington managed recoils in it. Has anyone had experience with these, do they feed OK? Will they do the job (assuming my aim is good)?
Old September 17, 2007, 04:33 AM   #963
Nematocyst

Red,

Well,
I was waiting
for a hog hunter
to answer your question,
but here's an opinion:

Load your 336 with full-on 170s.

Pull it tight into your shoulder,
lean into it with confidence,
'n pull th' trigger ...

It'll kick less
than that 20 ...

If you miss,
be prepared
to lever it
3 or 4 times ...

... until you're
eating BBQ.

Old September 17, 2007, 05:28 AM   #964
Fast Frank

I wasn't aware that there were "Managed Recoil" for the .30-30.

That's nice... IF your rifle will shoot them.

Just like all the other rifles I have ever messed with, my 336 has very clear preferences for bullets.

It will shoot some of them much better than others.

Not only will some group better than others, but the point of impact is different for each one, too.

I strongly suspect that this is why our rifles have a poor reputation for accuracy.

I have found with MY 336c that 170 grain Remington's are the very worst bullet available. They shoot a six inch group at 100 yards.

I have some Winchester 150 grain soft points that shoot really nice groups that are less than an inch and a half at 100 yards.

My point here is that the bullet you chose could make the difference between a clean one shot kill and climbing a tree to get away from a mad porky.

Taking that rifle to a gun range and finding the right bullet would be a really good idea.

Not only would it familiarize you with that 336, but it would go a long way towards removing the fear of recoil.

Making sure it shoots to the point of aim would be a pretty important benefit, too.
Old September 17, 2007, 05:32 AM   #965
Nematocyst

Quote:
I have some Winchester 150 grain soft points that shoot really nice groups
that are less than an inch and a half at 100 yards.
So glad to read this ...

I'll bet
those 150s
will bag meat for BBQ
as efficiently as 170s.

The key
to BBQ, IMO
is sauce and slaw ...

... well,
after bullet size ...

Old September 19, 2007, 01:06 AM   #966
Fast Frank

BUMP

Three post from falling off the end of page three!

And that poses an interesting question...

If our club threads were to fall off of page three (There is no page four) would it be gone forever?
Old September 19, 2007, 01:34 AM   #967
Nematocyst

Quote:
Three post from falling off the end of page three!
Bumped twice.

Quote:
...would it be gone forever?
Only if locked.

Unlikely that a 336 could ever be locked.

X'bolt safety, maybe, but not locked.

Not mine, anyway.

Never in a thousand years.

Quote:
There is no page four
There's always a page four.

You've just got to know
where to click it.

Bump it again.

Speaking of music,
ever listen to
somafm groove salad?

Not quite as hot as
a 170 gr. .30-30,
but still pretty chill.

Old September 19, 2007, 01:36 AM   #968
Fast Frank

But if it fell off of the end of page three, how would I find it?

Where is this mysterious page four?
Old September 19, 2007, 01:41 AM   #969
Nematocyst

Search is your friend.

Old September 19, 2007, 01:45 AM   #970
Nematocyst

This 336 thread,
is now on page 39 ...

How intriguing ...

Old September 19, 2007, 09:29 AM   #971
Z_Infidel

Took the 336C to the range over the weekend. Did some shooting slow aimed fire at around 60 yards supported by various means in "real world" shooting positions. Results were pretty good, managing to pretty much stay in the black with all my shots. I don't consider this bench rest shooting at all, more along the lines of "hitting what I aim at" shooting.

Next I moved the target in closer to about 15-20 yards and practiced some quick off-hand shooting. The ghost ring sights excel for this, as sight alignment is very quick. I'm pretty convinced this shortened 336 with the XS sights would make a quite effective defensive carbine and general purpose go-to gun for field/woods carry. I have other rifles that are more suited to specific hunting/shooting roles, but this one is extremely handy and satisfying to shoot!
Old September 19, 2007, 10:40 AM   #972
Fast Frank

Absolutely!

My 336c has a scope on it that will turn down to 2 power.

I can shoot it "Two eyes open" like that, and I agree-
The short carbine in .30-30 would serve just fine in an "Urban Tactical" situation.

In my eyes, it makes my .30-30 a very desirable "Do Anything" rifle that has earned it's place in my safe.

Sometimes I wonder why so many people look down on the .30-30.

I have had quite a few people tell me that they believe the .30-30 is inaccurate and under powered.

Where could they have gotten that idea?
Old September 19, 2007, 12:51 PM   #973
Texas30

336 Club

...That is one long read...

Here are a few pictures of our 336's that are hunting the Atascosa and Uvalde county areas of Texas. My son has the 336w and I am using the Glenfield 30a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HCWMA 004 (Medium).jpg (61.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg HCSNA 022 (Medium).jpg (74.5 KB, 96 views)
Old September 19, 2007, 01:28 PM   #974
electrode1998

mount ringe

Hey Wisc,
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I've been real busy latley.

I would use my skinners as backup by doing what Nem. talked about. I would remove the dammaged (SCREAM AND PASS OUT) Leupold scope.

I do not have quick release on my scope so I carry a tool in the woods with me to remove it. The store was out at the time I got my scope and they were pretty pricey at the time also.

e'trode
Old September 20, 2007, 01:49 AM   #975
Nematocyst

Good to see you in da' house, E'trode.

Quote:
I've been real busy lately.
Dude, I can relate ...
_________

Tex'30, welcome.

Nice rifles.

"Long read", indeed.

But for a really long read,
check out the 642 Club.
(Worth the read for air weight owners...)

Last edited by Nematocyst; September 20, 2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: corrected "air light" to "air weight"