Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 43 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 7, 2007, 03:43 PM   #1051
Fast Frank

Is it just me, or did the Marlin shoot a better group?
Old October 7, 2007, 04:05 PM   #1052
ZeSpectre

Of course it did <grin>.
Actually I've had the Marlin for a little while now, have put about 150 rounds through it and due to a combination of luck and me working on it the Marlin has a BEAUTIFUL trigger.

I've only had the 7600 for a couple of weeks and that group represents the 17'th, 18'th, 19'th and 20'th round fired from it (basically I'm saying it's me not the rifle though I do want to do some trigger work to it 'cause the trigger is inconsistent).

Basically though I doubt I'll have any time to do the trigger work on the 7600 so the Marlin's gonna go deer hunting this year.
Old October 8, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1053
anthony-white

I would like to join if youall don't mind

I should have done this earlier, but I think my new addition is the one to start with. I picked up a 1964 Marlin 336, 44mag, drilled and tapped for peeps from the factory. I saw a few of these on gunbroker, but they were all saddlerings. Mine isn't, but I love it all the same. Its missing the white portion of the plastic recoil pad, if anyones got one I would be happy to buy it. I really like this one, more than the 1894 in the same caliber I have. I have owned a few 336's since i was about 15 but this is my faveorite so far. Right now I'm on a big levergun kick. I had laser eye correction and the appeal of open sights has dramatically increased for me. I have a 336 from '68 in 30-30 mint condition as well. Nothing spectacular but I thought I'd share. Thanks, Anthony
Old October 8, 2007, 01:42 AM   #1054
Nematocyst

Ze, good shootin, dude.
You make us proud.

AW, welcome in.

Wow; another 336 in .44 mag.
I am intrigued.

Any chance for pics?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old October 8, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1055
the lone gunman

Funny Story

When I was about 16 or 17 , I took the 32 hunting behind my mom and dads, had to cross a railroad track to get to my hunting area, spent the whole day there and no luck. when it was time to leave , of course there was a Train there parked and not moving, All I could see to the left and right was train, so I decided to climb over it. did pretty good , then a couple more steps to get down and I jumped, my marlin was over my shoulder on a sling and the stock caught in the rungs and snapped it in half. I thought my dad would kill me ,but I manganged to get it home and glue it with elmers glue, now you cant even tell it was broke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of marlin 336.JPG (320.1 KB, 141 views)
Old October 8, 2007, 03:05 AM   #1056
anthony-white

Nematocyst,
Ive been trying to get good pics of it. Ill try again tomorrow. I bought a camera in august while stationed in korea, it sucks, is messed up, and now I can't exchange it. Gonna have to get a new one, but sometimes it works.
Old October 8, 2007, 03:11 AM   #1057
Nematocyst

AW,

No pressure here.

As time allows, we'll enjoy pics.

Technology is great when it works, eh?

Nem

Old October 8, 2007, 02:54 PM   #1058
kragluver

I'll join -- I bought this 336 used off of Gunbroker a little over a year ago as a "project gun". Its a 1976 vintage pre-safety rifle. The action was smooth and the bore was nice, but the metal had some minor rust and scratches on it and the stock looked pretty rough. It had obviously ridden around in the back of someone's pick up for a few years. I followed the ideas posed over on beartoothbullets (http://beartoothbullets.com/tech_not...h_notes.htm/58) and stripped/polished the barreled action and mag tube of all bluing and then "browned" them. The small parts were left blued. I did not cut the barrel as the guy on the website did but I did touch up the crown. I refinished the stock using Tung Oil. I put a Williams receiver sight on it and wha-la -- a nice custom 336. The first two pic's don't really do it justice, but the re-finished metal work turned out great.

The first two pic's show the completed rifle. The last one has the original rifle (top) together with my 1895 (which has a Williams sight + Fire front sight). The 336 has become my go-to "fun gun" to take to the range. The rifle will hold inside of 2" at 100 yds with my 170 gr Speer handloads. Its yet to be "blooded", but hopefully I can rectify that this deer season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0957_Small.JPG (781.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0958.JPG (764.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg KMD_Leverguns.JPG (408.8 KB, 130 views)
Old October 8, 2007, 05:02 PM   #1059
Nematocyst

kragluver,

Welcome.

I love good stories, especially when accompanied by photos of beautiful guns.

You scored on both counts. Thanks for starting my day off nicely.

(In an indirect way, your post inspired a work-related solution
... unrelated to this thread so I'll omit the details ... I'm off get it done now ...)

Old October 8, 2007, 07:43 PM   #1060
greyling22

any good suggestions for a traditional scope mount/rings? weaver? leupold? walmart brand?
I know everybody likes the scout mount and peep sights, but I don't want them.
Old October 8, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1061
greyling22

part 2 of that question is will a 1 piece mount for a 336 fit a 30?
Old October 8, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1062
electrode1998

Cool

Hey Grey,
If you want a versital rail for your scope XS makes a rail that runs from the rear of the receiver to the scout scope posistion. This would seem to give you some major adjustment for what ever type of scope you choose.

I have seen traditional scopes in 3-9x40 used on 336's alot.

Cabela's has a lever action scope for about $100. Don't know bout the quality but for that price it might be worth looking at. It is matched mainly to the LE ammo but should work with other ammo with practice.

Enjoy,

e'trode
Old October 9, 2007, 09:44 AM   #1063
Z_Infidel

greyling22: When I had a scope on my 336XLR I used a quick detach setup made by Warne. It is a two-piece base with QD rings and it works well with the 336. You can use the same base with regular rings as well. Leupold makes a good quick detach system that will fit a 336 but unfortunately the base is too thick to allow easy use of the factory irons when the scope is removed.
Old October 9, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1064
greyling22

what height rings work best. I have a 40mm objective.
Old October 9, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1065
electrode1998

I find as low a possiable but you have to watch the height with respect to the hammer and its' opperation.
Other than that to me it is a matter of personal comfort.

Have fun,
e'trode
Old October 9, 2007, 10:06 PM   #1066
greyling22

will the hammer clear a set of low rings?
Old October 10, 2007, 09:29 AM   #1067
Z_Infidel

Quote:
will the hammer clear a set of low rings?
Generally, yes. But I've never tried it with anything but a low-power scope, which IMO is a better option for a lever gun. For optimum handling qualities and a good cheek weld, try to mount your scope as low to the bore as possible. With a high-power scope you might have to go to medium height rings.
Old October 10, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1068
md7

hey ya'll. like your club, matter of fact i will soon be joining your ranks in owning a marlin 336. i have always wanted one, and will soon be getting one. around christmas probably. lots of great info here, and it certainly stokes the fires so to speak about getting mine. one question, how does the .35 stack up against the 30-30? i have shot plenty of 30-30, but have never had the chance to shoot the .35. i really don't know alot about the cartridge.
Old October 10, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1069
Z_Infidel

md7: Welcome. The .30-30 and .35 Remington will both kill medium sized game dead within their effective range. The larger-diameter .35 is usually loaded with larger bullets (200 gr is common) and more powder than the .30-30. If loaded with a lighter bullet it can achieve a slightly higher muzzle velocity than the .30-30 but this is probably a "do-it-yourself" proposition. The .30-30 in 150 and 170 gr loadings will be somewhat faster and flatter shooting than the 200 gr .35 Remington, thus giving it a little more range.

To sum it up:

.30-30 = slightly higher velocity in common loadings, shoots a little flatter
.35 Rem = hits slightly harder, especially at close range
Either one = good for medium sized game within typical lever gun distances

Hornady offers their LeverEvolution ammo in both.
Old October 10, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1070
avmech

Well...............make me a part of this club: just picked up a 336CS 30-30 off of another forum. By serial, 1993 model in very good shape. Will take her to the range hopefully next week. Always wanted one, finally got one
Old October 10, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1071
md7

thanks for the welcome and the info z infadel. i am going to go with the 30-30 just because of how common ammo is to find in these parts.
Old October 10, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1072
Nematocyst

Avmech & MD7, welcome.

Good choice on .30-30, IMO, MD.

Avmech, any pics? I'm curious to see a CS ... when you get a chance.

Old October 10, 2007, 09:55 PM   #1073
greyling22

I mentioned a strange 30/30 marlin my uncle had a few weeks ago, and he called me tonight with the info off the gun. westernfield m72g 30/30 win serial #867050 montgomery wards.

what I google says it was made by mossberg, but he says the receiver is 100% marlin design, right down to the 3 piece firing pin.
I dunno. but it is weird because the trigger is pinned to the lever and cometh out when you work the action.
Old October 10, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1074
JustsayMo

Shorten the barrel on a 336 Cowboy?

While I do like my 24" barreled 336CB I'm considering shortening it to the more typical 20". My hesitation is that the 30-30 version of this rifle is no longer made and more difficult to come by (took me over a year to find one and even then had to pay a premium).

Other considerations:
-Over my chronograph the shortened barrel will equate to ~100-200 fps loss in velocity compared to the 20" versions I've chronied. It is the one rifle I own that equals or surpasses the stated velocity on factory ammo.
-The rifle handier in the field.
-I'm not sure who I'd trust with to do a good job locally.

I should probably just buy another 20" 336 for use in the field...
Old October 10, 2007, 10:26 PM   #1075
Brandon

Got mine a few days ago...

Have actually had an older one for a while but it's an heirloom type and I don't take it out much.

I took everything out and polished, but mine still has a real sticking point where the bolt meets the ejector. I don't mean a minor annoyance, I mean a real sticking point to where I have to re-work the lever with more force to overcome it.

How close together can I squeeze the ejector and spring and still maintain 100 percent function?