Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 60 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 4, 2008, 01:24 AM   #1476
Z_Infidel

hotlead: if you want to shoot at those distances with a .30-30 then I advise getting the 336XLR -- and even then it's kinda pushing it. The XLR is designed to optimize performance with the LeverEvolution ammo, and the 24" barrel will help obtain the velocity you will need.

That said, for shooting at those distances you might want to consider either a 308MXLR or 308MX chambered in 308 Marlin Express. This would get you close to .308Win performance.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:07 AM   #1477
Nematocyst

Well, here we are on page 60.

Life is great, no?

Sorry I've been so absent lately.
I've just been snowed at work.
(But I'm gaining on that monster ...)

(And (!) I got my 39A back recently,
and have been focusing on it...)

But my 336 hangs in its coveted position
in the studio, hungry for a day at the range,
and even more, a day in the woodlands hunting ...

I ask this on it's behalf:

Wuz' up?

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old March 5, 2008, 02:25 AM   #1478
Nematocyst

I just revisited the first post of this thread.

Found this statement which needs updating:

Quote:
... a new Marlin 336A [is] ... one of five guns in my optimal minimalist tool kit. (870P, 336A, 39A, 686+, 642)
Just an update: the 870 was replaced by an 1894C, and the 686 by a 65.

There may be another 686 in the kit someday (with a 3" barrel),
another shotgun (probably a Stoeger Outback in 20 g.),
and a .45-70. (Guess which one. )

Other than that, this nomad is content with the kit.

Alaska, where art thou?

Old March 5, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1479
Z_Infidel

'Sup Nem?

I've got a small project going on with my XLR. I ordered a set of Millet sights for it that might show some promise. They consist of a standard dovetail rear sight that is square notch with white outline and fully adjustable for windage and elevation. The front sight fits in the standard Marlin ramp and is blade style with highly visible orange on the slanted face. I'm hoping this combination will be quite visible in dim light and provide a more precise picture than the semi-buckhorn & bead factory sights. If nothing else it should provide better judgement of elevation than the bead. Once I've installed the sights and found time to try them out at the range I'll post an update.

I still have the XS ghost ring setup on the 336C.
Old March 5, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1480
Ford

I have been doing my part.
I have been a 336 owner for what?...Like 3 days now and I talked my friend in to buying one yesterday I will have my scope in a day or two and will through a pic up. You can never have to many pics.
Luke 22:36
He said to them, " But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Old March 5, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1481
chad1043

Anyone know what is up at marlinowners.com

Have not been able to get on for about a week.

Chad
Old March 6, 2008, 03:25 AM   #1482
Nematocyst

Quote:
marlinowners.com
Still down.

Nasty server problem ?

Or maybe they're switching to
a new server like we did last weekend.

One can hope so ... such a fine resource.

Old March 6, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1483
Ford

hers is a pic. 336W with Bushnell Banner scope. I may need to get some higher scope mounts. The ones I have are actuall Bushnell standard 1" mounts and you can fit an eye lash between the bottom of the scope and the rear sight if your lucky.

Luke 22:36
He said to them, " But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Old March 7, 2008, 04:02 PM   #1484
traveler54

New to THR with a 336

Found this place a couple of weeks ago, Its Great! About a year ago
I was looking to trade rifle off for something, did't know what.
I saw a old 336 RC and since I had never had a Marlin or 30/30 I traded.
I am hooked, now have 1 336 and 2 1894s and will have another 336
as soon as I find one I like within a couple weeks
Old March 8, 2008, 02:14 AM   #1485
Nematocyst

Ford, it's interesting that big Bushnell seems to fit that 336
whereas something smaller might not. Something about
the close fit to the top of the receiver that seems more natural to me.

(Only one thing: that sling is on backwards. )

Traveler, welcome to 336-ville & THR.
Watch out, lever guns are additive.

Old March 8, 2008, 04:11 AM   #1486
Nematocyst

Quote:
...that sling is on backwards.
Please allow me to justify that statement.

Slings can be mounted in two configurations:
* American carry.
* African carry.

American carry puts the pad near the fore end,
and the rifle is carried on the strong side shoulder,
barrel pointed up. It's the way that most of us learned.

African carry puts the pad near the butt,
and the rifle is carried on the weak side shoulder, barrel down.

Using African carry, I can point a rifle twice as fast
as when using American carry.

Carrying the rifle barrel down on my left shoulder,
with my left hand on the fore end, I pull it forward using my left hand.
My left arm automatically twists in a way that puts the stock butt on my right shoulder, pointing.

Old March 8, 2008, 08:46 AM   #1487
Dave Markowitz

Quote:
I may need to get some higher scope mounts. The ones I have are actuall Bushnell standard 1" mounts and you can fit an eye lash between the bottom of the scope and the rear sight if your lucky.
If the fit of the rifle and eye relief with the scope mounted there is good, I wouldn't put it in higher rings. If you need the scope higher for a proper cheekweld, then go for it.
Old March 8, 2008, 09:31 AM   #1488
moooose102

well, we have a glenfeild 30A, which is a cheaper version of the marlin 336 in 30-30. i bought this gun way, way back, i think about 1976. it was on sale at J.C.Penney, and i worked there, so i got my employee discount on it also. i will tell you this. as far as ammo goes for the 30-30, the best i have ever shot is the Hornady leveroution, and then either the winchester or remington hollow points. the first day i hunted with the hollow points, i shot a deer in the brisket. tore a hole big enough to stick my hand in! needless to say, it went down exactly where i shot it and never moved. i shot it at about 60 yards. i gave my wife this gun many years ago, she has shot and killed 5 or 6 deer with it, an 8 point, and once two deer with one shot. she didnt see the yearling behind the doe she was shooting at(@ aprox.200 yards). i call her annie oakley, because she can shoot like nobody i have ever seen with that gun.
Old March 8, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1489
Chazz

Rear Sight Elevator?

I have the 336W,
I need to find a Rear Sight Elevator for it, i looked at midwayusa and they had it for $3.89, but minimum order is 25.00 dollars! I don't want to spend 25 bucks just to get a rear sight elevator... Does anyone know where else to look?
Old March 8, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1490
JustsayMo

You can buy direct from Marlin.
Old March 8, 2008, 11:21 PM   #1491
JustsayMo

Range Report

Back out with the new to me 60's vintage 336 Texan. Here are the results.

Rem 150gr JSP
IMR 3031 29gr (IMR data; 3.5 below published max)
WLR
Fed 1x case
2125 fps average for eleven shot string.
four of five in 9/16" c-c at 50 yards, all five in <1.125", iron sights

These are Remington Bulk bullets I'm getting for ~$0.16 each at the gun shop. They are about as inexpensive a jacketed bullet that I'm aware of and I'm pleased that they shoot well in this rifle. Second notch up from the bottom prints these just above the bead at 50 yards and about 3" high at 100.

I've also had good luck with these bullets in this rifle using Varget and IMR 4895, velocities ranging from 2000-2100 fps.

Next load I tried were some plain base Oregon Trail Laser Cast 170gr RNFP bullets with an additional coat of Lee Liquid Alox, loaded over 5 grains of Red Dot using CCI 200 and CCI 250 LR Magnum Primers.

The CCI loads averaged 995 fps and were very accurate out to 50 yards (as far as I tried). They printed 3" lower and ~2" to the right of the Remington JSP load zero noted above.

As and experiment I loaded another batch of the LC 170 / 5g Red Dot and substituted CCI 250 Large Rifle MAGNUM primers. The velocity jumped 30 fps which interestingly equates to about what 5.5 grains of Red Dot gets me. The accuracy wasn't as good with this load.

It was a fun day.

Last edited by JustsayMo; March 11, 2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: correction
Old March 10, 2008, 02:38 PM   #1492
Dave Markowitz

Between last night and this afternoon, I reread this entire thread. What a wonderful wealth of information we have here.
Old March 10, 2008, 04:23 PM   #1493
Z_Infidel

For those interested, the Marlin Owners' forum is back up. Someone posted a beautiful 336CB custom built by Marlin in the 336 section.
Old March 10, 2008, 05:52 PM   #1494
MannyNY

Thanks Dave M

Ordered the Willam's FP336 and Fire sight, can't wait to get it and try it out - I'm sure it will make a big difference. It's always good to hear from someone that has first hand experience with a product- thanks again.
Old March 10, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1495
Chazz

Thanks JustsayMo,

Thinking about going with open sights.... maybe I should try something different like the FP336 or Skinner sights.

Great report on the ammo... for me the winchester silvertip 170gr is best, usually I hunt in some very heavy woodland areas.

camera doesn't do it justice.

Old March 10, 2008, 07:31 PM   #1496
Dave Markowitz

Glad to be of help, Manny.

Old March 11, 2008, 03:24 AM   #1497
Nematocyst

Have been buried at work for ten days, will continue for another ten ... at least.

Great to see good activity and friendly conversation in the club house. Good reading during my breaks.

Glad to hear MoF is back up.

Old March 11, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1498
MilsurpShooter

Marlin 336SC in .35 Remington. New buttplate and scope finished doing that about half hour ago, haven't had a chance to fire it yet, might do that this weekend, have about 5 new guns to try out courtesy of the gentleman that gave me this one as well

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants, they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old March 11, 2008, 11:09 PM   #1499
MannyNY

Tech question of sorts

Hi,
As I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered the Fire sights from Williams. I was reading about installation (in prep for when they arrive next week) and I see references to “drifting” left to right in order to remove the existing front sight. I have no idea what they are talking about. Can anyone shed some light on this? The post states” get someone to hold the rifle for you as you drift the old sight out” – well, I am clueless. Somehow I figured I’d just remove the existing front sight and “replace it” with the new one. Of course, I didn’t really think about it at the time. So, if anyone has any experience and patience, please let me know what they’re talking about. I’d really hate to screw up the front sight base.
Old March 12, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1500
Nematocyst

.30-30 v .357 mag

I'd like to revisit a topic:
Let's compare .30-30 v .357 mag.

Premise: they are not the same. We all agree on that.
They evolved under different circumstances for different tasks.

Given that, here's a question:
How similar are the ballistics of
.357 mag v .30-30 under 75 yds?

We know that both can drop a whitetail under 75 yds.
But what are the ballistic comparisons at that range?

Here's the source of this question.