Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 67 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 14, 2008, 05:43 PM   #1651
jwh2

New Owner of 336C

I purchased a 39A last week and ended up ordering a 336C this week based on the outstanding performance of the 39A. My 336C should be here Friday. I found the 336C for $429.00 which seemed to be a fair enough price. If the 336 is as good as the 39 I will be a happy camper. By the end of next week both should be outfitted with Skinner sights. The 39A (iron sights) was a shooter right out of the box and gave my custom Ruger 10/22 (scoped) a run for the money on it's first range trip. There certainly seems to be a lot of good information here and I look forward to participating.

James
Old May 16, 2008, 08:40 AM   #1652
jfountain2

How does the rear band screw on a 336W affect accuracy? Is it safe to shoot a 336 without the screw in place?
Old May 16, 2008, 08:52 AM   #1653
Fast Frank

You're talking about the band that's around the front stock, right?

I have no idea how shooting the rifle without the screw would affect accuracy. It might, or might not.

I'm pretty sure you could shoot the rile with the screw missing without causing problems. The worst case would be that the front stock comes off in your hand. It wouldn't blow up, that's for sure.

Personally, I would just get the parts needed to make it right, and THEN shoot it. It isn't going to be expensive or difficult to get the correct screw, so why bother messing around with shooting it with out it?
Old May 16, 2008, 09:12 AM   #1654
JustsayMo

jwh2, congratulations and welcome into the club.

I've owned four 336's in 30-30 and all have shot well. Some were picky about the ammo they liked and one of the bunch seems to shoot everything pretty well. You might get lucky like Fast Frank and find one that shoots factory ammo sub MOA or you might have to do some testing (good problem) and/or work up a hand load for it.

Great rifles. I have several choices but one of mine has become my "ranch rifle" because it'll do everything I need it too and then some. I have a plinking,Grouse and varmint load and a Deer and Black Bear load should the need/opportunity arise.

Jfountain, I've heard of guys loosening the screw but not removing it. There is a guy that does very well in Ranch Dog's postal match that says he likes the forearm to be a little loose.

I haven't noticed any difference between the banded or the capped forend models in the 336's I have.
Old May 16, 2008, 01:15 PM   #1655
jfountain2

Quote:
Personally, I would just get the parts needed to make it right, and THEN shoot it. It isn't going to be expensive or difficult to get the correct screw, so why bother messing around with shooting it with out it?
I have the parts but the hole in the forearm (ramline synthetic stock) does not quite line up with the space between the feeder tube and the barrel. A gunsmith told me to just widen the space between the barrel and feeder tube but I am not all that excited about applying a power tool to my barrel...

I don't plan on shooting with it until it is fixed but if SHTF or it was the closest gun during a home invasion I would like to know if it is still accurate.

Last edited by jfountain2; May 16, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 16, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1656
jwh2

JustsayMo said
"jwh2, congratulations and welcome into the club.

I've owned four 336's in 30-30 and all have shot well."

James replies:
Thanks for the welcome. It came in today and all looks well. I hope to get out and shoot in the next few days and try her out.

James
Old May 18, 2008, 03:03 AM   #1657
Nematocyst

Just checking in after another brutal week at work.
No days off. Work again tomorrow.
(This has got to stop soon; I'm not enjoying this pace at all ...
and my 336 is languishing from neglect in the safe.)

James & Jfountain, welcome in.
JF, I grew up in Meomphis.
(Well, Bartlett, actually.)

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 18, 2008, 08:46 AM   #1658
Eb1

I grew up in, Memphis as well. Midtown.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:39 PM   #1659
Nematocyst

Eb1, I, too, lived in Midtown for a while during part of grad school.
(Grad school for me stretched several decades, in and out ...)

Lived in a corner apt on the corner of McClein & Peabody.
Noisiest place I ever lived in with all the traffic noise.
Stayed there two months, then moved on.

I miss the BBQ a LOT.

I also owned my first 336 during that time: a 336C in .35 Rem.

Old May 18, 2008, 12:44 PM   #1660
Eb1

Last place I lived was Poplar and Auburndale. Auburndale isn't a through street there. It was nice. We did not have to deal with bums walking down the street.

I miss Memphis. I live in Little Rock now, and for being only 150 miles away. It is like night and day with the people and others.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1661
Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow

Oh yeah, well fine! Be that way, you snobs - I'm gonna go start my own Glenfield 30A club!
Old May 18, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1662
JustsayMo

Premium, We're sorry but by simply posting here you are officially a member of the 336 club now. WELCOME!

DNA testing (Nem can verify that) has proven you Glenfield 30A is blood kin to our 336's along with Revelations and whatever else they were marketed under. Like any family we have our differences but if it came right down to it I doubt there are many that would do without a fine levergun, regardless of the name on the barrel.

Out in the field the differences matter even less and that is why like our Marlins so much - they git'r done. Fast Frank has perhaps one of the least attractive 336's I've ever seen (no offense meant) but man does it ever shoot! I'll take that every time over a beauty contest winning wall hanger.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:22 PM   #1663
papajohn

"Beauty is as Beauty Does!"

My 336RC is the homeliest Marlin I've ever owned, plain as a mud fence. I tried desperately not to buy it, but you know how Marlinitis works...........it was inevitable, I just didn't realize it. But the moment I started shooting it, I found it had an "Inner Beauty". Nearly all my Marlins are good shooters, but this one outshines them all. More of those boring one-hole group photos to follow soon, when I get caught up on my reloading and case prep duties.

PJ
Old May 18, 2008, 07:28 PM   #1664
Nematocyst

Premium, like Mo said, looks like you're stuck with us.
Like a famous hotel, you can check in anytime you want,
but you can never leave.

Welcome to the lever mad house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ
More of those boring one-hole group photos to follow soon ...
Oh, no. <yawn> More one holers. Will it never stop?

Oh, wait: of course not. We're shooting Marlin 30's here.

OK, work week is over ... at least until tomorrow.
But I'm taking the rest of the day off.
Think I'll go for a long, long bike ride ...

Old May 18, 2008, 07:36 PM   #1665
pfsthib

Got mine this week. A marlin 336 30-30. Picked it up for $220. Looked up the serial number and it's a 1977 model. Also had a scope on it. They also had a ted williams for the same price. he told me it was made by winchester. the shells ejected from the top.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1666
jkingrph

You based your choice on a
fine .22. My first 336 was a 1952 model sporting carbine in 35 Rem. inherited from my father. He had bought me a 39a in that same year, so I grew up around a couple of Marlins. I really had a renewed interest a few years ago and acquired several , including 4 cowboy models, an 1895 and a guide gun. None of my Marlins have the barrel band, the barrel is dovetailed, a crossbar threaded for a screw on each side secures a forendcap. It still secures the forend cap too the barrel. I cannot tell if it affects accuracy in any way.

Come to think of it none of my lever actions have the barrel band, all have forend caps secured as I have described. This includes two models of Win 1894, an 1886, and two 1895's
Old May 19, 2008, 12:58 AM   #1667
papajohn

Yawn Time............

I threatened to show them, so here they are, courtesy of my sweet new Canon Powershot. I got sick of the same boring groups at 50 yards, so I shot a few rounds at 100, just to see if I could. I got this one, and decided I'd better quit while I was ahead.

A few of my compatriots at the range (The No-Hair Club For Men) ragged on me about quitting after one group, so after the barrel cooled, I shot another, knowing it couldn't be as good, and knowing that when it sucked, I was gonna take some serious abuse. I shot this one with a dozen witnesses, all eager to see me screw up, waiting to mock me and the Papajohn Load when it failed me. It didn't. (Thank the Load!)

I'm used to seeing it do this at 50 yards, but I have to admit I was pretty shocked when it did it at 100. I'm well-known as the Master Of The Last-Shot Flyer, so it was even sweeter when we all walked down to the 100-yard boards to see how we'd done. If I could do this kind of shooting when the side-bets are on, I'd be retired by now. But it was enough to hear the bolt-gun shooters making excuses when they saw this one!

Hey Mr. Desert-Biologist, when are we gonna see some of YOUR targets? Don't gimme that stuff about working all the time, either.............oh, that's right, you're too busy to reload, I fergot.

I wouldn't bother posting these boring pics, but this time they were at a real distance, not the usual 50 yard stuff. It's tough being an accuracy freak, but once in a while it gets REALLY good!

Papajohn, aka the lucky bastich that happened upon the ULTIMATE 30-30 load (for my gun, anyway)
Old May 19, 2008, 01:18 AM   #1668
papajohn

Here's the Prettiest Ugly Gun I Own...........

My fellow Monday Club shooters have all marvelled at how plain, non-descript, and almost ugly this 30-30 is, so I thought I'd share a pic of it, taken a year or two back. It's the third one from the top, and yes, compared to the rest, it's plain as they come. The stock barely even looks like it was finished. Looks don't matter, right? It gets a lot prettier when you shoot it.

I call her Plain Jane. $160 Out-The-Door, the gun I didn't want to buy, since I already had a much prettier 35 Remington. What more could a man need? Why get a 30-30 when you already have a sweet-shooting 35? I resisted as long as I could. Now I'm convinced that it was Fate. My 35 shoots pretty good, but this gun does me proud every time, no matter how much caffeine I've had. The funny part is, my youngest son (my gunniest kid) can shoot my AR-15 better than I can at 200, but he can't beat my groups with this rifle. I always thought I was born 100 years too late, maybe I was right!

Just a supposition, but maybe when I labelled the gun "Plain Jane", maybe she decided she had to prove herself............and boy, has she!

Papajohn the Born Lever-Cranker
Old May 19, 2008, 02:43 AM   #1669
ripcurlksm

New owner of a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and had a few questions on this great rifle. This is my first rifle purchase. I love it. The girlfriend loves it. Life is good.

1) I've searched this thread seeking more information on smoothing the action; is there any online documentation or write ups on tuning this yourself? I found a post or two by Necro, but I am a hands-on type and wonder if anyone has tuned their own action (beyond shooting the blue off it)

2) I found a helpful post again by Necro on easy loading of rounds into the magazine by using two hands. My initial thought before reading this post (and knowing nothing about the inner workings and function of the feed ramp spring) can you down the spring poundage on the feed ramp spring to ease loading? A second thought on this matter I am considering is to buff polish the feed ramp plate a little bit.

3) I like using iron sights but the ghost ring and rear sight is still taking some getting used to. I might consider getting a brighter tritium front sight down the road. The first marlin 30-30 I shot was my friends and he had a red dot scope, which I didnt care for in particular because it seemed that the red dot was a little large and obstricuted my view of the target at 25 yards in an indoor range Does this dot get smaller as the target distance increases? I cant imagine it being as big as it is and trying to shoot somehting a 200 yards out. Like JB said about 1911's and their range-- "If the target is bigger than the front sight, its in range". This principle has me scratching my head with this red dot scope.

4) It appears that the rear left and rear right side of the receiver (around the safety and hammer) isnt buffed out "as well" as the rest of the receiver, but is still nice. you can see it slightly in the photo below.

5) 30-30 Hunting question: I know this round has a long history in north american hunting, but would this round be effective in dropping a deer or would it run it out for a while? Looking at the round, and thinking about how it was used to hunt bears... im not a hunter, but I think I would want a bigger round to prevent my leg from getting chewed on? In your opinion what are the practical limitations for hunting passive and aggressive game? Humor is appreciated.

6) Why dont you guys post more pictures? for shame!

at 40 rounds

Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlin1.jpg (61.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg marlin2.jpg (127.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg marlin3.jpg (120.9 KB, 127 views)

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God" - Stephen
Old May 19, 2008, 08:21 AM   #1670
JustsayMo

Ripcurl, Welcome in.

I can't help you with the smoothing up part. My best guess is to take up reloading and shoot it a lot.

On the hunting question I might be able to help you. The 30-30 is adequate but like EVERYTHING bullet placement is KEY. By Bro-in-law shoots his 30-30 MUCH better than his geewizzMagnum bolt gun so the on game performance has been better. Last year we tracked a bear he shot with his bolt gun until dark. Had he used the 30-30 I'm guessing he would have put a better shot on him...

My point is put the bullet where it needs to go and you'll have a dead critter quick regardless of the caliber. My great aunt used to shoot them with a 22 in her garden way back when. The family used to joke whether or not her real reason for the garden was to grow vegetables or pot venison...
Old May 19, 2008, 08:33 AM   #1671
T.R.

This is my older brother John and his very first coastal blacktail buck. This 1991 photo was taken in Napa County.

John removed the iron sights but doesn't really make sense to me.

TR
Old May 19, 2008, 10:18 AM   #1672
336A

papajohn I sure wish I had your luck or knowledge. So Far I've tried W748 with 150gr Hornady, and Speer bullets with dismal results. I had the same reults with the Speer bullets an RL15. However I get very good accuracy (about 1") with factory Win 150gr PP ammo. I have some more ammo loaded with W748 but with Sierra bullets to try out soon. However I've been thinking about switching to either H322 or IMR 3031. Have you used either of these powders with the 150gr bullets with good results?
Old May 19, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1673
JustsayMo

336A, have you tried 170 grain bullets?

With the Remington 150's I've had good luck with 3031 around the starting load levels. I've had better luck with the PapaJohn 4895 load but don't have the stash of it that PJ has.

Of course PJ denies hording but then goes and shares his secret recipe with the world which creates a rush on it ... Twice now I've been to the toy store only to find out its been sold out

Now I'm not pointing fingers or making accusations... then again maybe I am
Old May 19, 2008, 11:08 AM   #1674
336A

I did try 170gr bullets but only in factory form. I dismissed them to try for reloading as my rifle has shot the 150gr much much better. The 170gr stuff had useful accuracy don't get me wrong. But they can't hold a candle to how well the the 150gr stuff shoots. Last year while confirming zero before deer seasson, I darn near pulled a papajohn group using 150gr Federal Fusion ammo.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1675
Z_Infidel

ripcurlksm, like JustSayMo said shot placement is always the key factor. Using the right bullet/cartridge for the job is also important. The .30-30 is more than capable of dropping a deer where it stands assuming a good shot on your part.

As for using the .30-30 on bear -- well, it makes a fine cartridge for hunting black bear but I wouldn't think of using it on the larger browns. For black bear you might want to use the 170 gr bullets for better penetration.

Stopping a bear charge really depends on shot placement. A well-placed shot with a .30-30 could stop a black bear, but again it wouldn't be my choice for brown bear. For that I would rather rely on at least a hot .45-70 load or one of the .375 magnums.