Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 69 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old May 26, 2008, 01:04 PM   #1701
desertrhat

Please consider me a member of the 336 Club. I own a 336TS with a dot sight that I really enjoy shooting. It's short, light and easy to carry. A great rifle.
Old May 26, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1702
Nematocyst

Desertrhat, welcome to 336-ville and THR. How cool you chose 336 club for your first post.

I can relate strongly to your user name: despite my user name (Nematocyst, which is a projectile fired from specialized cells called cnidocytes in jellyfish, sea anemomes and their relatives for defense and food acquisition), I'm really a desert rat. Not only did I study desert biology in school, and do some amount of it professionally (though not nearly enough), I just flat out love deserts.

I'm curious, which dot sight do you have on that 336TS? And what is a TS? That's a new model for me, I think. Pictures are encouraged!

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old May 26, 2008, 03:36 PM   #1703
jfountain2

Quote:
Jf, I'm curious: why a saddle ring? Not being critical at all. I think they're interesting.
But I'm not sure what they're used for. Can someone enlighten me as to their use?
Nem,
I have no idea what they are used for but I would guess, it's something they used to use to keep a rilfe from falling out of a scabbard when rding a horse. I just think they look cool. To me it gives a lever a more old west kind of look.
Old May 26, 2008, 05:12 PM   #1704
JustsayMo

Jfountain2: I wish I could help you out but I have no idea where you'd find one. I have one on one of my 336's and I'd admit to not knowing why its there but it sure looks cool.
Old May 26, 2008, 05:18 PM   #1705
grimjaw

I'm going to hazard a guess that the saddle ring could be used to loop a piece of leather through to keep it from falling out of the scabbard.

jm
Old May 26, 2008, 08:50 PM   #1706
Z_Infidel

Quote:
BTW, for laziness sake and not wanting to do a "search" who amongst you have put LEVERevolution 160 gr (with FlexTip Technology) through the ole 336?
How did that work for you?
I've posted my thoughts on the LeverEvolution ammo a few times, but it's worth repeating here. I use the 160 gr .30-30 LE ammo exclusively in my 336XLR with good results. The rifle is very accurate with that ammo and my groups are consistent. I've heard many good reports of its performance on game, and hopefully will be able to see for myself this year. The LeverEvolution is certainly flatter shooting than conventional .30-30 ammo and extends the range of the old cartridge significantly.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1707
Z_Infidel

Quote:
Glad that people appriciate the classic stylings of the 336. Thinking of getting the XS sight rail/ ghost ring combo. Can anyone offer any pros or cons regarding whether to go with a scout scope (forward mount) or traditional scope placement?
The scout scope setup allows for very fast target acquisition and sight alignment, and encourages shooting with both eyes open. The scope is mounted very low to the bore and offers extended eye relief. With a lever gun it also allows the rifle to be carried the traditional way, with a hand wrapped around the receiver.

The down side is less light transmitted to the eye than a conventional scope and a smaller magnified field of view. Regular scopes are superior for shooting in dim light.

Of course it comes down to personal preference, but if I were to scope a rifle I would use a conventional scope mounted over the receiver. Right now all my rifles wear aperture sights, which offer many of the same advantages of a scout scope.
Old May 28, 2008, 02:52 AM   #1708
Nematocyst

Quote:
Right now all my rifles wear aperture sights, which offer many of the same advantages of a scout scope.
Z, could you elaborate on that a bit.

What are those advantages?

Certainly light weight, price. Definitely.

But clarity of target?

That's the one that intrigues me most about a scout scope.

My eyes aren't getting younger.
I'm not sure aperture is the way to go for me.

I'm fairly sure I don't want a traditional scope on my 336.
Just doesn't feel right to me to put one on a lever.
(Chalk that up to intuition. Does something to the balance.)

The scout seems better, yet the light weight aperture is appealing,
even if I'm concerned about clarity of the FOV with older eyes.

Thoughts?

Nem

Old May 28, 2008, 08:42 AM   #1709
JustsayMo

Peep sights with smaller apertures sharpen the front sight and make it easier for those of use with aging eyes to still use irons.

I have been using the factory opens on most of my leverguns but I shoot the two Marlins I have Skinner Sights on better. I know the time I can use the factory opens is fading but I'm hanging on for as long as I can.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:54 AM   #1710
Z_Infidel

Nem, aperture sights allow quick sight alignment once one learns to shoot them -- which is also an advantage of the scout scope. An aperture allows for sighting low to the bore and doesn't throw the balance of the rifle off. It also reduces the number of focal planes your eyes have to manage when aligning the sights. Scope = 1 focal plane, aperture = 2 focal planes, traditional open sights = 3 focal planes. With the aperture/ghost ring, you focus entirely on the front sight -- similar to how with a scope you focus on the targeting reticle.

I even have an aperture sight on my CZ550FS bolt gun, although I wouldn't hesitate to scope it if I were going to hunt game at distances beyond 125 yards or so. I really prefer irons on my lever guns.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:04 AM   #1711
papajohn

I'm shooting three Scouted Marlins out of four I own, and the big advantage of the scope over the peep is that if Bambi is in thick brush, you can see what's between you and him. With the peep at any distance, you're assuming there's nothing to deflect a bullet on the way there, and hoping for the best.

That's only if you're both standing still, something that doesn't often happen in the deer woods in fall. But the scope does give you a chance to assess the rack, body size, or pick one animal over others. Seeing better, in my book, is worth the price you pay. Apertures are fine for some, but I can no longer see three (or even two) seperate planes anymore, I have to focus on the front sight OR the target.

Good Scouts do not come cheaply. If your budget is severely limited, get the peep, until you can afford a good scope. The cheapos are proof that you get what you pay for.

PJ
Old May 28, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1712
Nematocyst

Thanks for that little primer, guys. Very useful.

I've visited the scout concept in the past - including in this thread - and had pretty much decided on putting one on my 336. I even bought the XS rail for it but haven't put it on yet because I can't afford the scope yet. I want a Leupold Scout, but the budget just isn't there.

(And it may not be for a while; I was almost there business wise, now it's crashing with the economy; I'm looking at having to close doors here and move to a larger city up the road. That sucks.)

But, I digress. Back to rifles for a minute. I may try out a set of apertures in the interim (although right now I don't even have the money for them).

I'd probably try a set of Skinners.

Old May 31, 2008, 05:34 AM   #1713
ripcurlksm

Quote:
1) I've searched this thread seeking more information on smoothing the action; is there any online documentation or write ups on tuning this yourself? I found a post or two by Necro, but I am a hands-on type and wonder if anyone has tuned their own action (beyond shooting the blue off it)
Any thoughts on this? Necro, you have any luck smoothing the action?

I find that the roughest spot is when you start to close the lever, right after the the feed ramp hits the top of the chamber is when there is a big rough spot. Its like a big hump, just after closing the lever a short distance. Can I smooth this out somehow? Everything else is real smooth.

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God" - Stephen
Old May 31, 2008, 11:53 AM   #1714
paintballdude902

u guys ever wonder what a .30-30 will do to an alluminum boat propeller?

i sure found out last weekend, i went shooting out at the farm and had one in the bed of my truck that i had just replaced the day before.........well i put it out about 50yrds and punched a hole thru the center 4 layers of probable 1/4inch alluminum

infact it was so much fun i put 24 more into it lol

if u hit the blades the thing spins about 3 foot away fun times

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old May 31, 2008, 02:13 PM   #1715
FullEffect1911

I can be added as a member now. I put a down payment on a 336c in .35 rem.

I can't wait to get it. This will be my first lever action.
Old May 31, 2008, 07:12 PM   #1716
papajohn

Tips on Smoothing the 336 Action

Go to www.marlinowners.com and look for the stickies, they have recently set up a reference section will all kinds of goodies.

You can also look up posts by the resident expert, a retired machinist named Swany. There isn't much he can't tell you.

Personally, I've done a little smoothing on all my Marlins, but the easiest job is rounding off the hammer hump. It keeps the bolt from over-cocking the hammer, and it DOES make a difference. Just remember the rule about removing metal...........make haste slowly, you can't put it back!

PJ
Old June 1, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1717
csmkersh

I don't have a 336 but do have a 1946 Model 36Rc. It's my truck gun along with my Colt DS. The 5 digit SN seems to have a broken D prefix.

TSRA Life Member
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
http://thegunnerslair.com
http://home.flash.net/~csmkersh
Old June 1, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1718
Boris Barowski

I'm the proud owner of a 336W

if you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_336, that's a picture of my 336
I'm thinking of putting a better one online for the wiki
Old June 3, 2008, 03:38 AM   #1719
Nematocyst

This is the busiest week at work for me in seven years.

I didn't plan it this way. Just happened.

Glad to see all is well here.
I'll be back ...

Old June 3, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1720
jfountain2

The best way to end a busy work week is to shoot something ( not your coworkers... ) hope you make it to the weekend.
Old June 10, 2008, 05:51 AM   #1721
ShakyJake

Haallloo!

Hi,
We must all be like Nemo and working hard. Had to go a whole week to check on the 336's. Same with the M39 group. Take care of that shortly too. Ed. Found the M39 group, just can't read.

csmkersh: Welcome to the 336 Gang. That M36 must be a lot happier ridin' "truck gun" than sitting in a closet some where.
Maybe this will get some words flowing.
TaKe CaRe
Ted
Old June 10, 2008, 09:06 AM   #1722
Z_Infidel

Here's a tidbit for anyone thinking about equipping their 336 with an aperture/ghost ring sight:

I have had the XS Sights ghost ring installed on my shortened 336C for several years now and I'm still very happy with it. The little carbine is set up to be quick handling and to offer fast target acquisiiton and sight alignment for mostly close range work. And in that role it simply excels. This is due in part to the XS ghost ring's large aperture and the highly visible white line on the front sight blade.

On the other hand, I've spent some time now going back and forth between various sighting systems on my 336XLR. This is pretty much a dedicated hunting rifle, so I originally had a low-power scope mounted. That worked nicely as an optic, but I really like the handling characteristics of a levergun with iron sights. So I ordered another set of XS sights, but found I couldn't shoot that great with them out at 150 yards or so -- the XS aperture is just a little too big. Next I re-installed the factory sights which worked a little better for me, but at distances beyond 100 yards the front dot pretty much rules out precise jungement of elevation. Crap.

So I finally ordered a set of Skinner sights and installed them. Took the XLR to the range this weekend and I'm really liking the results. I might decide to order a slightly lower front sight, but it works okay the way it is for now. The aperture is smaller, and the front sight blade is thinner than the XS sight so it offers better precision for shooting at distance. My eyes are good enough to use good iron sights out to around 150 yards, and I was able to shoot good groups at that range. The XLR with Skinner sights and LeverEvolution ammo looks to be a fine combination for a general purpose hunting rifle.

Of course: YMMV, do what works best for you, etc...
Old June 11, 2008, 01:19 AM   #1723
Nematocyst

Quote:
Welcome to the 336 Gang.
Echoing that sentiment.

Just had to check in for a minute. Always good to see the club house still standing, hearing .30-30 shots from the range out back.

Work continues to be a cruel *****, but making progress. (Dang, where did that solid economy go; looked so good for a while.)

Z_, interesting thoughts on those Skinner apertures. If my eyes were 10 years younger, I'd definitely try a set. As it is now, I'll probably try a set out, even though I already bought the mount for that scout scope set up. (But with business so tight, I can't afford the scope, so why not try a set of Skinners?)

OK, back to work. No rest for the weary. Still, a minute to talk about 336 is cathartic.

Keep 'em shooting, folks. I'll be back.

Nem

Old June 11, 2008, 01:01 PM   #1724
papajohn

Nem, not wanting to pry, but are you doing the business, or dismantling the business to move it? I'm hoping it's the former.........

I know this is a 336 thread, but I also know Nem has an 1894-C he loves, and I wanted to encourage him to try the Scout Scope idea on it, if not also on the 336. I shot this Monday as the last group of the day with a random handload, 15.6 grains of Lil Gun under the Remmy 158-soft point. Not a hot load by any means, but it shoots okay. This was 5 at 100, the center of the 3" paster was the POA. The first shot was high, (for a 50-yd zero) the next three made the cluster, and the last was to the right. The high shot I'm blaming on the cold barrel, the one to the right was the stupid wind, and the good ones were ALL me.

This is a stock 1894-C with a cheapo 2X7 NcStar scope that cost me $35. I wouldn't bet the farm on the durability of these scopes, but so far this one's holding up like a champ after a year of constant use. YMMV.

The point is that the Scout Rifle setup is no handicap on a levergun, my 336C in 35 wears the same setup, and shoots even better. You can still carry the rifle at the juncture of the action and barrel, and it's VERY quick to acquire targets, moving or stationary.

I may try the Skinners down the road with my 38/55 build, but for now I'm wedded to the Scout Rifle concept, and I'm very happy with it.

Papajohn
Old June 11, 2008, 05:20 PM   #1725
Eb1

how long do you wait between shots when testing hand loads in you 336?