Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 7 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 13, 2007, 06:41 PM   #151
electrode1998

336 cc

Hey PaPaDog,
I forgot to tell you that $425 doesn't sound too bad for the price on the 336 cc. I think locally they were a bit higher than that at the end of last year.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:57 PM   #152
Nematocyst

2na, welcome to the club.

I added your name to the roster on the last page.
(I can still add by edit for a little while longer,
so your name appears on the roster before you posted.
Makes me look clairvoyant or something ... )

(In fact, welcome to all new members since the last time I wrote that.)

DR, beautiful Texan. {edit: I originally wrote "Mountie" because I didn't read your post carefully enough, and because of that straight stock. Do they relate? What's the barrel length on the Texan?} I would have bought [a Mountie], but didn't want the straight stock. (I'm thinking of eventually cutting down the A barrel to Mountie length, but haven't decided yet. Gonna give it LOTS of time first as is.)

E'trode, I'm curious to hear about those "custom modifications".
Want to tell us about them? You can always post pics of them later.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:59 PM   #153
nwilliams

Can I join

This is my 336 given to me by my grandfather just before he passed away, great old gun I would never part with it. I may restore it one of these days, the stock had a slip-on buttpad for many years as you can see and the metal needs rebluing. But I may just keep the way he left it to me, it still shoots fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336.jpg (207.2 KB, 332 views)
Old March 13, 2007, 07:01 PM   #154
Dr.Rob

For shame, that's a 336 Texan, the Mountie is in your Model 39 thread.
Old March 13, 2007, 07:09 PM   #155
Nematocyst

Quote:
For shame, that's a 336 Texan, the Mountie is in your Model 39 thread.
LOL!

Oh my god, where's my coffee? I should never wait this long before coffee!

Really, I was just testing to make sure everyone was awake. No really... why don't you believe me?

But since you brought it up, Rob: that's a new version for me. Never heard of one.
Where's it fit in the scheme of 336s?

NWilliams (NWill?), welcome. I just added your name ex-post-facto to the club roster.

Just ignore my mistake about the Mountie, er Texan. Most people in here are way more knowledgeable about Marlin's than me. I'm just getting into Marlins, so am still learning (which I why I started this club and the 39A club: to learn).

And that's a real purty older 336 you got. Great to see so much wear on one. Tells me it's led a useful existence.

Think you'll ever re-blue it?
Old March 13, 2007, 07:32 PM   #156
electrode1998

Talking modifications

Nem.
Yea, I think I have found an old marlin issued camo stock that will fit my gun from a private seller. I'll know if it fits when I hopefully get it sometime next week in the mail.
Other than that, I am just installing some peep sights I found online that are handmade by a guy named Tim Skinner. They look pretty nice and cost alot less than XS sights do. Finally I have a scout scope rail comming so I can mount the leupold 2.5 scout scope when I get the money for that.
Hopefully if this all works out it will look and shoot pretty sweet when all is said and done. The camo stock is the only question if it fits the model A. If it doesn't maybe someone else can use it on their model of 336.
Old March 13, 2007, 07:48 PM   #157
Nematocyst

E'trode, we're having similar thoughts about sighting systems.

I've ordered a set of XS GRs, and will very likely add one of their scout scope rails a bit later. (Unless someone here manages to talk me out of it, or if the GR's turn out to get me significantly improved groups at 75 and 100 yds...)

Someone mentioned those Skinner sights before - and they look real nice - and I asked: do they come with a new front post? Don't think anyone responded yet, so I'm curious. That could be part of the price difference (?)...

The XS GR's come with a new front post that looks (in photos, at least) to be more visible than the stock post.

Thanks, all, for discussion of sights. This is good homework for my promised essay summarizing sight stuff.
Old March 13, 2007, 07:52 PM   #158
Nematocyst

Confusion of Mountie v. Texan

Oh, I feel so much better.

I just realized why I got confused (well, part of why I got confused) about the 39 Mountie v. 336 Texan.

DR (Rob) posted this about a Mountie in the 39A thread AND his post about the Texan, both today.
I read them both, and got wires crossed.

Guess that's the price for trying to be part of two Marlin clubs.
(It's worth the price.)

Ah, so I'm not totally insane.
(Well, wait a minute ... )
Old March 13, 2007, 08:35 PM   #159
Marlin

Great thread you'all have going here,might as well add my handle to the list.I have a 336w 30/30,1894 in 44mag with a Ruger SuperBlack also in 44mag.Hopefully in the not to distance future I will have a 1894 in 38/357 to go with a 1982 Ruger Security Six 6in stainless,you just got to love the combos.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:00 PM   #160
Nematocyst

Wow, Marlin, with a username like that, I'm not sure you'll fit in here ...

Only kidding. Great handle. I've added you to the roster.
Old March 13, 2007, 09:05 PM   #161
electrode1998

sights

Nem.
The Skinner sights can be ordered with or without the front sights. The front sights only add 5 dollars to the cost so I ordered a complete set. I went ahead and ordered an XS front rail and it should be here this week. I'll try the Skinner sights before adding the scout scope and am leaning heavily tword the scope since I wear glasses and I figured the added magnification would help where I get to hunt. I'll let you know what the Skinners are like when I get them and I'll check with you on the XS GRs.
E'trode
Old March 13, 2007, 09:08 PM   #162
electrode1998

beautiful

NWilliams
That is a beautiful gun. The color of the stock is amazing. My dad handmade furniture for years and that wood is very nice. The gun itself is nice too.
Old March 13, 2007, 11:41 PM   #163
Z_Infidel

Nem -- ya left me off the latest roster, pal. And our discussions about ghost rings go way back, too... .snif.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:13 AM   #164
Dr.Rob

As I recall it the 336T was a carbine length (20") model made from 1954 to 1983 or so. My brother wanted the "Texan" because of the straight stock, like dad's model 39 we grew up shooting. There have been other straight stocked 336's. This one is a 79-81 vintage I think. Most were .30-30 though there may be a .35 Remington also.

The 336T was also made in .44 magnum in 65-67 (Cabela's has one in Rogers, MN for $430) with that much metal you could certainly hot rod a .44 mag.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:59 AM   #165
WJR

Nem,

Thanks for putting me back on the roster.

In regard to XS Sights, to me the XS front post is a good deal more visible. Of course, my only experience is with a Spikehorn, which has a short barrel.

As soon as I can, I am ordering the XS Scout Scope mount and Leupold 2.5 for my 336.

I keep buying 686s instead of ordering the scout setup, but I hope to rectify that soon. (Yes I am a member of the 686 club as well)

WJR
Old March 14, 2007, 01:27 AM   #166
Nematocyst

Z,

Many apologies, buddy.
Yer back on, now.

I found that I also inadvertently left off xd9fan (XD9) from the new list.
(Back on now.)

Dang, roll call is more challenging than I thought. Who else did I leave off?

Maybe we need a club secretary so the president can do his job better.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:29 PM   #167
fiVe

Multi-part post

Nem,

This thread is great! I'm learning so much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Wieber comparison is good. I know Winchester is good, but I'm glad I have a Marlin.

Very interested in the Remington Express Ammo especially the 55gr Accelerator round.

I am definitely on a quest to increase my 336/lever action knowledge. I have heard the terms peep sights and tang(?) sights. What is this? Can someone give me a basic layman's description of these 2 sights (hopefully with pics)?

I've heard bits and pieces about how to clean a 336. What is the best way to clean it, how far do you go with field stripping, and how do you do it?

Don't mean to overload this post with so much stuff, but I wanted to keep from flooding the thread with so many posts (I don't know maybe a flood of posts is better?? )

Thanks for your time,
fiVe
Old March 14, 2007, 12:47 PM   #168
SSN Vet

Quote:
the Remington .30-30 Accelerator (55 gr).
I thought this was a small diamater bullet (.22?) shot in a .30 cal. sabot.

I bet they're pricey little plinkers

Maine Constitution Article 1, Section 16. To keep and bear arms.
Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
Old March 14, 2007, 03:31 PM   #169
Nematocyst

fiVe, really glad you're finding value here. I'm learning a lot, too, and we've only just begun.

More on sights later (though I'm hoping someone else will address your "tang" sight question, cause I'm still wrestling with that one, also).

(Speaking of sights: my XS ghost rings just got delivered! )

For now, SSN, about those Remington Accelerator ".30-30" 55 gr. I just spoke with my gun shop about them. The person I spoke with claims that indeed, they are as you say: a "sabot" adaptation. He claimed that it was a cool idea, but didn't work because the twist rate didn't work well in larger calibers, and that they're not really any longer in production.

Yet, I'm finding Remington Accelerators in 55 gr .30-30 for sale currently on the web. Here's an example from Outdoorsuperstore.com. Looks like to me there's an old technology (the sabot stuff) and now something new that's getting confused with the old ???

So, I'm still confused and hoping a knowledgeable person will shine some truth on this topic.
Old March 14, 2007, 05:28 PM   #170
W Turner

Can I be added?

I just bought a Cooper and Co. marked 336. I have no idea how old it is, but I believe it was originally a saddle carbine because it has a hole in the side of the receiver that is in the right location for the extra screw that one would have.

The furniture is beautiful and has a deep red color to it. The trigger is very good and if the guy at the gun shop is to be believed, the serial # suggests it was made in 1969.

W
"Guys with 45's know they are right. Guys with 9mm know they are right. Some guy with a 40 smith will tell them why they are both wrong. And that old guy in the corner with the model 10 smith with no finish just shakes his head and grins as he puts another 6 rounds through the ten ring." -Dr.Rob, THR
Old March 15, 2007, 06:06 AM   #171
Nematocyst

Quote:
Can I be added?
Done.

(About twelve hours ago by now. )

After an exceptionally long work day,
I got them XS GR sights on a few minutes ago.

First report:

Phew'we!
Them done changed evera'thang
I thaught I unda'stu'od about sights!

_________

Also, what's the word on the street about "Federal Fusion" ammo?

I've got the 150 gr, but they also make a 170.

The bullet design is aerodynamically reasonable:
sleeker than the classic round nose .30/30
with a smaller, flatter, sharper apex
(more like an F-16 than a C5A).

No knowledge of the powder that propels the mass,
but I'll bet a 5 spot that it's powerful stuff ...

Story at 11 ...

Last edited by Nematocyst; March 15, 2007 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Corrected two typos
Old March 15, 2007, 06:57 AM   #172
Nematocyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
...what's the word on the street about "Federal Fusion" ammo?
Here's what Mr. Hawks had to write about Fusion:

Quote:
All calibers use bullets made by Federal's proprietary "molecular-fused" jacket technology. In this "electrochemicall" process, to quote the Fusion literature, "the jacket is applied to the core one molecule at a time to totally eliminate separation and assure mass integrity." The core is a pressure-formed lead alloy and the jacket is pure copper. A skived tip promotes initial expansion. Fusion bullets feature a perfect center of gravity and high ballistic coefficients (BC).

If I have correctly interpreted the process, the bullet is basically made by copper plating a (vitamin capsule shaped) pressure formed lead alloy core slug. Then the plated core is pressure formed into the correct bullet size and shape and the tip skived. Presto, a Fusion bullet.

The Fusion web site (www.fusionammo.com) is larded with techno-speak mumbo-jumbo (but does use an innovative little flame cursor). This approach is often the modern advertising equivalent of the old adage, "If you can't sell the product, wrap it in baloney and sell the baloney."

In this instance, however, that is not the case. The Fusion bullet, in our testing, does offer excellent accuracy and dramatic but controlled expansion. These bullets are expressly optimized for hunting CXP2 game (basically deer), but based on their controlled expansion they probably have a wider range of application, although this has not yet been proven in the field. Strip away the advertising hype and what is left is an excellent product, perfectly able to stand on its own merits.

<snip>

The result was that the Fusion ammo produced the smallest average group size (0.895") of all the loads tried. This is a very accurate rifle that produced excellent results with every load, and many sub-MOA groups, just as the name implies. But when push came to shove it was the Fusion load that came out on top. Every rifle is an individual and your results may vary, but I regard this as an impressive start for the new brand.
Hmm. Interesting. Think I'll buy more Fusion rnds, including some 170s.

But not until after sleep.

It's been a long day.
Very productive, but long.

Did I mention? I think I'm going to like those XS ghost rings...
Old March 15, 2007, 09:16 AM   #173
Z_Infidel

TANG SIGHTS: These are a more traditional alternative to receiver-mounted aperture or ghost ring sights. Marbles and Lyman are a couple of manufacturers who offer nice tang sights. These mount to the tang (the steel that extends backward into the rear stock on top of the rifle) and can be positioned upright for use or folded down out of the way to enable use of the regular barrel-mounted rear sight. Tang sights typically come with a couple different sized apertures so you can use it as a peep or a ghost ring. They are a good option if you want to retain a more traditional look to your rifle or if you want the option to use your regular open sight. I prefer a receiver-mounted ghost ring such as the XS sight with front post. To me these seem like the ideal setup.

Ya know, XS just might get some business out of this thread.
Old March 15, 2007, 10:01 AM   #174
chorlton

A quick question...
Out of interest, does anyone know who makes the optional factory-fitted scope available for the 336? If not, which model of scope is closest to the Marlin one?
Old March 15, 2007, 11:20 AM   #175
fiVe

Can anyone post a pic of a tang or ghost ring sight?