Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 70 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 11, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1726
papajohn

If I really want to see what the gun and ammo are capable of, I'll let it cool until it feels like it did before I fired it. In warm weather it takes awhile! On cool days five minutes is enough. It DOES make a difference!

PJ
Old June 11, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1727
Eb1

PJ,

Thanks for the info. In the ever seek for accuracy, and just plain fun. I have bought some H335 to give a try with my 30-30. Loaded up some 150 Sierra, 150 Core-Lokt, 170 Hornady FN, and 170 Speer FN.
Old June 12, 2008, 12:35 AM   #1728
Nematocyst

Quote:
Nem, not wanting to pry, but are you doing the business, or dismantling the business to move it?
Not prying at all, PJ.

We - me & several clients and advisers who stepped up when my business ran into trouble last month that threatened to shut its doors here and move to a larger town more capable of supporting it - are restructuring the business. In the past, I've tried to manage it as well as do my thing (I'm an educational consultant, to oversimplify a complex business.) I'm good at the education stuff, but really suck at business. So we're inventing a new manager position to take that pressure off me, adding some more advertising, some collaborations with other local businesses, etc. Not out of the woods by far, but moving in the right direction. (The goal is to be successful here AND open a branch in the other city (Portland) instead of leaving this town entirely. We'll see.)

Now, back to guns. PJ, that's a compelling argument for the scout scope on the 1894C. I've been thinking mostly about either skinners or ghost rings for it since I don't plan to shoot it more than, say, 75 yds. And I like it fairly stripped down for camp use and hiking with a small carbine.

I mostly want the scout set up for the 336. But heh, no reason I can't try it out on both ... once the money gets better after the business gets rebuilt and stabilized and I have days off again to go to the range ... which is why I gotta get back to work right now.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old June 12, 2008, 11:52 PM   #1729
garyhan

First 336--Older RC--Receiver Sights

Oddly enough, after nearly fifty years of shooting, I aquired my first 336 today. It's a 1950 manufacture .30/30 336 RC in rather nice condition. I would like to put a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it and was wondering if anyone knows if the current manufacture 66, FP, and 5D sights fit the older guns without drilling and tapping?

gary
Old June 13, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1730
papajohn

Gary - Congratulations! You may have taken the long road to get here, but you arrived in style. I'd LOVE to see some pix of that rifle, hint, hint.

Nem, glad to hear you're finally getting some help! You've been a one-man show a long time, judging from what I've read over the past year or two. Maybe in another year you can actually take a day or two off, and hang out at the range like the rest of us lazy bums.

I'm focusing more on my AR-15's and the 1894's these days, cheaper to shoot, and despite the price increases I'm still shooting a thousand rounds or more per month out of the rifles. I still break out the 336's now and then, but I'm too poor to be shooting up several hundred rounds of that stuff on a regular basis.

On a happy note, I laid in several thousand pistol bullets last winter before the prices went nuts, so I'm in good stead for another year or two..........after that I'm scrod!

Papajohn
Old June 14, 2008, 02:28 AM   #1731
paintballdude902

guys.......something terrible has happened............im trapped behind enemy lines and i need help.....im stuck in L.A.

actually its a nice trip just got into town from yosemite today it was awsome

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 14, 2008, 04:18 AM   #1732
rdoggsilva

I have a 1979 Marlin 336C. It was given to me at my Step-Dads passing. I really enjoy shooting it and reloading for it. Need to try ghost ring sights, now that my 60 year old eyes, are having a hard time focusing on the sights. So can I joy your club, please.
Old June 14, 2008, 04:28 AM   #1733
Nematocyst

PBD, we're sending reinforcements.
Until they get there, stay away from Hollywood.
Repeat: stay away from Hollywood.

Rdoggsilva and garyhan, welcome in.

Old June 14, 2008, 12:25 PM   #1734
garyhan

Thanks for the welcome. Have ordered a Williams receiver sight for the old deer slayer. Will post pic when I get tech support from the wife.

gary
Old June 15, 2008, 02:07 AM   #1735
rdoggsilva

Thanks also for the welcome. Will post a pic of 336 in a few days.
Old June 15, 2008, 02:24 PM   #1736
desertrhat

Nem,

Sorry it took so long to reply. The Marlin 336TS is the short, 18.5 inch barrel version with a straight stock, sort of like a Trapper. The dot sight is a Tasco Tactical Series. Not a EoTech but works well none the less. As a matter of fact, I am going out into the Nevada desert today, Father's Day, to shoot it. Got some new reloads to try. Pictures will follow.
Old June 15, 2008, 06:37 PM   #1737
Brandon

Problems... I am out of ideas.

I have tried multiple sight options including skinner apertures and other ladder type sights. Both barrel and reciever mounted.

Rifle still shoots 8 inches high at 25 meters (measured). Groups at 100 meters range from nickel to quarter size just really high.

Looks like I have a warped barrel.
What are my options?
This rifle is somewhat sentimental but am not afraid to let go of it if I am out of options.

It is the Glenfield Model 30A with the deer heads pressed into the wood.
Old June 15, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1738
desertrhat

Grettings Nem and the Group

My 336TS out for a Father's Day shoot in the Nevada desert....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 336TS.jpg (200.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by desertrhat; June 15, 2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Forgot photo
Old June 16, 2008, 09:46 AM   #1739
Z_Infidel

Brandon: Have you tried a taller front sight? It's easy to get one from Tim Skinner. Or if you need a bead front sight that fits a standard dovetail you can probably order one from Brownells or Midway.
Old June 16, 2008, 12:41 PM   #1740
Brandon

Yep, Mr. Skinner made me one over .6 inches high. After doing the math I would need a sight more than .75 inches high even with a barrel dovetail sight. Not optimal
Old June 16, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1741
Z_Infidel

Wow. Okay, I guess you do have a problem. You might contact Marlin directly and see if they can help you. Since the problem seems to be the barrel itself, have you thought of having them do a 336 Cowboy conversion on it, or just replacing the barrel for you?
Old June 16, 2008, 02:58 PM   #1742
Brandon

Have not contacted marlin yet. I have read that the cowboy conversion is about 300 dollars.
Any estimate on what it would be just to rebarrel?
Old June 17, 2008, 12:56 AM   #1743
rdoggsilva

What would you guys suggest to replace the factory sights with. As I get older the sights get fuzzier. I do not like scopes on a lever action. I have thought of Ghost Ring system. Thanks for any help.
Old June 17, 2008, 01:21 AM   #1744
Nematocyst

Quote:
What would you guys suggest to replace the factory sights with.
Rdoggsilva, I've installed the XS GR system on mine, even though
I've been too busy at work for the last year to get it properly sighted in.
(I even lost my range club membership in the last two months, so busy and poor am I.
But making progress. Maybe this fall, I'll have time to shoot again if I can survive my summer slow time ...).

Now, one other question: what shorter nickname do you prefer so that we can save keystrokes?

R-dog? Silva? RD?

Old June 17, 2008, 02:41 AM   #1745
Nematocyst

A new THR member is seeking info about 1895's in .45-70 gov.

Here's his intro. Clearly got the lever bug.
May I suggest that you go fan those embers?

Quote:
For some reason over the past few years I have been falling in love with marlin lever rifles. I am mostly a black gun fan but one marlin in particular has caught my eye its the model 1895 in 45-70 govt. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little history about them and if possible a few personal stories about your marlin firearms and the 45-70 as a hunting cartridge (mostly whitetails and hopefully elk). Since most lever guns end up being family heirlooms (atleast where I come from) I want something that will last for generations to come. So let me know what you think. thanks 1911

Old June 17, 2008, 08:45 AM   #1746
Mannlicher

I posted to this thread some time back, but I succumbed to the dark side, and bought another 336 yesterday at a local pawn shop.
This one is a 30-30, and was made in 1971. Straight stock, saddle ring, and in exellent condition. $250 out the door

Old June 17, 2008, 09:00 AM   #1747
JustsayMo

Mannlicher: SCREAMING good deal! I paid over $100 more than that for the same rifle earlier this year and felt good about it.

It has become a favorite of mine and primary general purpose rifle on our ranch.

Rdoggsilva: Check out the Skinner Sights ( www.skinnersights.com ) I'm very pleased with them and they look good too.
Old June 17, 2008, 09:08 AM   #1748
Z_Infidel

Quote:
Have not contacted marlin yet. I have read that the cowboy conversion is about 300 dollars. Any estimate on what it would be just to rebarrel?
Just a rebarrel should cost about half that much or slightly less. Marlin will also fix or replace anything else that needs it, and I understand they do excellent work. Call Marlin.
Old June 17, 2008, 01:53 PM   #1749
Mannlicher

Quote:
First 336--Older RC--Receiver Sights

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oddly enough, after nearly fifty years of shooting, I aquired my first 336 today. It's a 1950 manufacture .30/30 336 RC in rather nice condition. I would like to put a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it and was wondering if anyone knows if the current manufacture 66, FP, and 5D sights fit the older guns without drilling and tapping?

gary
Funny you should mention that. I just picked this one up from a neighbor today, for $100. The sight is a lyman receiver, and its a 1949 model 336 RC

That and the 1971 Texan Saddle Ring Carbine I found at the pawn shop yesterday make two fine old Marlins added to the collection in as many days.

Old June 17, 2008, 06:00 PM   #1750
TnBigBore

Mannlicher, your recent luck has been extraordinary. I wish my luck was that good. They are both nice looking rifles.