Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 71 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old June 17, 2008, 07:33 PM   #1751
Mannlicher

TnBigBore, I know there was an element of luck there, but I frequent the pawn shops all the time, and constantly am looking for a good deal.
Old June 18, 2008, 03:32 AM   #1752
rdoggsilva

If you want cut it down to silva, last name. I have been called a rotten dog so that is why I went with rdoggsilva.
Old June 18, 2008, 03:35 AM   #1753
Nematocyst

Quote:
I have been called a rotten dog...
You too, eh?

That makes at least two of us.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old June 18, 2008, 06:21 AM   #1754
JeepGeek

got a 336 on layaway at the local pawnshop, complete with NICE glass on it, for $300

Be about 2 months before I can get it out, but there you go.

When I bring her home, the glass is coming off most likely. I'll be running reloads with the Leverevolution projectiles.
Old June 18, 2008, 08:16 AM   #1755
Z_Infidel

Quote:
I'll be running reloads with the Leverevolution projectiles.
Last I knew, Hornady isn't making the LE bullets available as components yet. Has this changed recently?
Old June 18, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1756
papajohn

Brandon, I got my 1894 rebarreled a year ago for $143, so Z-Infidel pretty well nailed it. Ever think about having the barrel straightened? How much worse could you make it? Might be worth looking into, they do it at the factories all the time. But I'd call Marlin first and see what your options are with them.

Papajohn
Old June 18, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1757
Brandon

I actually have a drawing done of a barrel straightener that uses a lever and hydraulic jack so I have some control over trying it. This way I can put a light at the end and apply pressure as I watch the light pattern in the tube. I was going to build it on 1/2" plate and use solid 1" round bar for the pressure points.
I have a foxfire book showing a guy straightening a flintlock barrel in the fork of a tree. That barrel is longer though and I dont think I would have enough leverage to do that without risking the reciever.
If this doesn't work I will be calling Marlin. It will most likely be fall before I can finish the jig. I have lots of stuff going on right now.
It will give me time to research my jig and maybe find a better way.
Any ideas?
Old June 19, 2008, 02:31 AM   #1758
Nematocyst

Quote:
Any ideas?
vs tree forks and hydraulic jacks?

Send it to Marlin.

Rumor has it they don't use tree forks or jacks.

Save the forks and jacks for a later time,
in case, say, for example, civilization comes to an end.

In the interim, send it to Marlin.

Just my 2c.

Old June 19, 2008, 03:07 AM   #1759
Nematocyst

What rifle action do you shoot most?

Levers are down by more than 3:1.

Old June 19, 2008, 03:53 AM   #1760
papajohn

Relax, Nem. That just means we're the Elite, The Enlightened, The Worshippers of The One True Action. Let the Great Unwashed have their turnbolts, their self-shuckers, their one-shooters, and their hand-crankers. Heck, I have a few of each, but a lot of levers, because I'm old and wizened. (But not necessarily wise).

The point is, I have more fun than anybody I know.

PJ
Old June 19, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1761
Nematocyst

<first laughter of the day ...>

Old June 19, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1762
JustsayMo

PJ wrote: "The point is, I have more fun than anybody I know."

PJ, somehow I already knew that.
Old June 20, 2008, 03:41 AM   #1763
papajohn

I guess the plain truth is that I have it pretty good. All four kids are mostly grown and on their own, I live alone with 2 male cats, in an apartment that smells of Hoppe's #9 , barbecue, and gunpowder. I have four days off a week, do half my reloading chores AT work, when I'm not playing on the internet or reading something gun-related. I still take a few dozen people a year to my club range to learn to shoot, and when the weather's nice, I'm at the range fifteen or twenty hours a week. Talk about stress-free!

I consider myself an ambassador of Gundom, I talk guns and shooting with dozens of people every week. So many of them equate firearms with evil and crime, then they hear me crowing about what fun I had shooting bowling pins or blasting at clay pigeons or shooting the heads off thistle blooms. Shooting used to be a national pasttime, people hunted and plinked and shot a lot, and it was as common as jogging is today. Even TV reporters liked guns!

Criminals have given guns a bad image, but the silhouette of a levergun is about as non-threatening as it can be. It harkens back to simpler times, when doors didn't need to be locked, people were less afraid, and things seemed so much simpler, good and bad. When I shoot there's a serious purpose behind it, but the act of shooting any firearm is mostly about FUN. The little kid in me still giggles and grins when I'm shooting, because I'm convinced there are few things in life that are that simple, pure, and downright enjoyable. Reactive targets are the best, be it a bowling pin flying backwards off a table, a clay pigeon shattering into a thousand shards, or a dirt clod disappearing into a cloud of dust. My inner child doesn't suck his thumb, he's too busy clapping and jumping up and down from all the fun I have. 1894's and 336's BEG to be shot a lot, and I'm just the simple fool who nods and says okay, let's go shooting.

It's good to be the Papajohn.

PJ
Old June 20, 2008, 04:01 AM   #1764
Fast Frank

Bravo, Pappa John!

Chalk that post up as another Bull's Eye!
Old June 20, 2008, 02:46 PM   #1765
rdoggsilva

I agree 1000% Pappa John
Old June 20, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1766
tubeshooter

Cool

Great post, papajohn.
Old June 24, 2008, 11:16 AM   #1767
JustsayMo

PJ, first you gloat about your 4895 stash now you tell me you spend 20 hours a week at the range AND reload at Work!??!!!

PJ you are my HERO!
Old June 24, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1768
papajohn

JSM, I don't quite reload at work, but I do a lot of brass prep, so what I do at home goes faster. I work more or less alone in a 4-story building, watching the monitors for miscreants, who rarely come around anymore. (Word apparently got out there's a cranky old bald guy with a gun in here, and if he catches you transgressing on his watch, you will become fertizer for the pine trees out back. ) I bring in bags of brass and the tools I need, and I uniform primer pockets, ream flash holes, trim, chamfer, and reprime while I'm keeping an eye on the neighborhood. I've gotten some strange looks from folks who come in to work on the weekends, but I explain that what I'm doing is the male equivalent of knitting, and it doesn't detract from my duties, it's better than me sitting here with my nose in a book. They tend to agree, and some ask a dozen questions about the process. I'm always trying to recruit new shooters/gun owners, and having a good discussion about guns, shooting, hunting or reloading just makes the day that much better. In five years here, I've taken about a dozen people to the range who'd never handled a gun before, and all of them considered it a positive experience. I'm very careful, make sure they understand what kind of power they're dealing with, and then make sure there's a lot of positive reinforcement when they do well. I enjoy teaching The Gun, in whatever form it takes.

My club range is 20+ miles from home, and I decided if I'm going to drive that far to shoot, I might as well make the most of it. Tuesdays are when all the maintenance is done, grass is cut, target boards are mended or replaced, all that stuff. So I decided to join the work crew today, and they found the perfect job for me.......making new target frames on stands, the PD's and some of the pistol shooters use them for combat drills under 25 yards. They tend to get shot up pretty badly, and have to be replaced every month or so.

I brought tools and fasteners, they provided the wood, and off I went. I'm no craftsman, but if you need something sturdy built from 2X4's, I'm your guy. I worked up a good sweat, make some good solid frames, and felt like I was doing something worthwhile. I'll be back there next week, this is a labor of love.

Oh, BTW, I have a major reloading project coming up, and I just ordered another 16 pounds of IMR-4895. Sorry if this puts a crimp in anyone's load testing!

I still haven't found a 336/30-30 beater to rebuild yet, but I'm still looking. If anyone knows of one within 100 miles of St Louis, give me a holler!

Papajohn the Builder
Old June 25, 2008, 12:07 AM   #1769
bsaride

Can I join this "Club"?
Don't have a 336 but I do have it's granpa.
Marlin 1893 became the 36 became the 336.
I have a 1908 Marlin 1893 take-down 30-30.
Still working on gettin the 100yrs of lead out of the bore,
Action is stripped, need to clean and reassemble before
I see how much I have to weld up the takedown lever.
Who says ya can't bring em back from the dead?

JustsayMo,
Will these do? Won't take any pics until I get a chance to shoot it.

Last edited by bsaride; June 25, 2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old June 25, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1770
JustsayMo

AWESOME bsaride! And since you only really need to be interested in a 336 to be a member, Welcome in!

The bad part about this club is that you find out about rifles you didn't know about and then you NEED to get them...

I can't wait to read the range report for that rifle.

Last edited by JustsayMo; June 25, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old June 28, 2008, 05:38 PM   #1771
paintballdude902

bsaride thats awsome dude was it in the family and got passed down or did u buy it?

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 28, 2008, 06:41 PM   #1772
bsaride

Paintballdude

"bsaride thats awsome dude was it in the family and got passed down or did u buy it?"

Actually found it on auction, have been learning how to clean barrels with this one as it had 100 years of lead in the barrel. Got it down to about 20 years left to go. Excessive headspace will be dealt with by using a different locking lug, then will have to build up takedown latch with weld. This and my 1927 M39 and 1929 Win M52 will not get refinished (lot's of character). My 1890s Stevens Favorite will be my first full rebuild as it needs barrel liner and stock. Right now my newest gun is a 1946 IJ revolver (can you say hammer the hammer?). Back to the 1893, the reciever is completely apart for cleaning, new lug and reassembly (next weekend) and I will continue cleaning the barrel, probably won't disassemble the front end other than the t/d latch so I can shoot it!

I bought this one because it was one of those " that's my rifle" feelings I couldn't pass up.

My dad had a 41 mag in the 60's other than that I don't have any hunting/gun history in immediate family, I'm sure the cousins on the farm in WI would have had guns but never spent much time with them.

Took mom out to indoor range trying t find her a 38 she likes today. Niece (16) wants to go hunting and will see if she signs up for the hunter safety class in 2 weeks. I hunted and shot alot in the 80s and 90s and am just in the past year and a half getting back into it.
Old June 28, 2008, 07:20 PM   #1773
paintballdude902

send ur niece out to nc im only still 17 for few weeks lol jk

thats awsome man i think all i would do is put either lemon oil ,tung oil,or boiled linseed on it to bring out the color a bit more then just to make it all perty use some paste wax on it like you do a piece of nice furniture

im actually redoing the old browning semiauto take down .22lr, the story is my dads ex wife won it when he was stationed at goose bay but that was the only gun that he hung onto over the years and he never fired it so its barrel is perfect same with the inner workings but the stock is banged up from moving it arrounds from country to country when he was int he air force so im using some birchwood casey stock finisher

i have this thing for takedown guns lol that is a pretty rifle youve got

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 30, 2008, 01:21 AM   #1774
Nematocyst

Emerging briefly from 10 non-stop days at work ...
trying to save the business ... making progress ...

... even as my 336 sits collecting dust ...

At least it came up in a conversation today at work
with a client ... even if said client was an 'anti',
reference to it as a hunting rifle seemed to ease
his little agitated anti mind a bit ...

Old June 30, 2008, 01:04 PM   #1775
paintballdude902

nem i tell you what im gonna drive cross country and help you save ur business for free just gimmi a couch and some food

i figure that way maybe i can get u working 6 days a week instead of 7 so u can go shoot