Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 73 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 12, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1801
testar77

New Rear sight for my 336

What is the absolute best rear sight to put on my 336?

Everyone of God's creatures are welcome at my table... Right next to the mashed potatoes.- Tred Barta

I still think the best weapon is that grey mass between your ears, but of course like any other weapon, some are more accurate and reliable than others :) - Me

A 9mm may expand, but a .45 will never shrink.

Life Member NRA
Old July 12, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1802
JustsayMo

Testar77 wrote:
"What is the absolute best rear sight to put on my 336?"

In my opinion THE best rear sight is the one YOU can shoot the most accurately with in the field without changing the excellent handling characteristics and portability of your rifle.

If your eyes are good enough you might find the factory opens work very well for you. Even the old "BB gun" style rear sights work well on one of my 336's and two 39's. I like the Marbles semi buckhorns that come on the cowboy models too.

For peeps I really like the Skinner Sights ( www.skinnersights.com ) Best looking, solid, rugged and Tim (Skinner) will make you an aperture to suit your shooting needs. If a Ghost Ring is desired you can simply unscrew the aperture and you have one.

Tang Sights have been around for more than a century and look good and work well on leverguns. I don't prefer them because they interfere with my thumb when I carry the rifle two handed in the field.

Some guys NEED a scope because of aging eyes or they can't shoot enough to stay sharp with the irons. I've found the Scout Scopes work well on leverguns and the impact on handling is minimal. Traditionally mounted scopes work well too. My own preference is for lower power - light weight levergun scopes for most calibers traditionally chambered in leverguns.
Old July 12, 2008, 08:54 AM   #1803
JustsayMo

Federal Ammo Rebate!

Riflemen,
Once again Federal is offering a $5/box (limit 2) rebate on PowerShok ammo.

http://www.federalpremium.com/pdf/FP...ShokCoupon.pdf

For those of us lucky enough to shoot 30-30's that means a $12 box of very good ammo will cost us $7 after the rebate. At today's prices that is less than I can handload it for with similar components. Another plus is the brass is very good for reloading and it shoots well in my rifles.
Old July 12, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1804
Nematocyst

Mo beat me to it, Testar.

Quote:
In my opinion THE best rear sight is the one YOU can shoot the most accurately with in the field
without changing the excellent handling characteristics and portability of your rifle.
Welcome in, btw.

Let us know what you do for sights.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old July 12, 2008, 07:46 PM   #1805
556A2

Price Check: Aisle 30-30

I have a guy that is getting rid of a 336CS in Excelllent condition, a mounted Bushnell Sportview 3x9 Scope, and 250+ rounds of 30-30 (mostly PMC) in boxes.

What would be a fair value on this? Hes mostly looking to trade, so I just want to figure whats a good price.
Old July 12, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1806
testar77

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific. I don't want a peep/aperature, tang, and especially not a scope for my levergun I want open sights but I know there are a few different types out there, so I want some reviews of the different types. I was initially going to just put the normal buckhorn sight on it, but I figured before I did I would get some reviews of what else is out there.

PS no offense to those who scoped their 336, I just think it's sacrilege but I'm kinda old fashion that way

Anywho, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Toby

Everyone of God's creatures are welcome at my table... Right next to the mashed potatoes.- Tred Barta

I still think the best weapon is that grey mass between your ears, but of course like any other weapon, some are more accurate and reliable than others :) - Me

Life Member NRA
Old July 13, 2008, 12:20 PM   #1807
Z_Infidel

If you like a bead front and U-notch open rear sight, there's nothing wrong with the Marlin factory sights. However, some people (including me) prefer a square notch rear and straight post front sight if open sights are to be used because the combination allows for more precise judgement of elevation.

Tim Skinner is working on an open blade-type rear sight that works with the standard rear sight dovetail on Marlin rifles. It will probably work well with a front sight post. The sight looks to be robust, fully adjustable, and maintains a traditional look. I don't think it's quite ready for sales yet, but you might want to contact him and see when it will be available.

www.skinnersights.com
Old July 13, 2008, 09:10 PM   #1808
testar77

Thanks alot, I will check him out!!!

Life Member NRA
Old July 14, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1809
Landlocked Pirate

Hi Y'all,

I spend a lot of time on this thread but I've never posted here, mainly because I have a lot to learn and little of value to say. So I'm posting now just so I can be considered a member (proud of owner of a 336W, which I'm considering doing a stock-slimming job on).

Thanks
Old July 14, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1810
edged1

Marlin 30 AW owner

Fellow Marlin Owners,

I also spent a lot of time on this thread but I've never posted here. I own a 30AW. I just added the Williams rear peep sight. I love it. I can aim the rifle with both eyes open and get an excellent sight picture. Still working on the front sight. Since I own the 30 AW it did not have a front sight ramp, just the front post sight. I am contemplating cutting the barrel down to 16.5 inches and adding a Williams Firesight front sight.

Thanks for the great read. I am still trying to decide if this will be my social rifle or if something with a magazine feed.

edged1
Old July 15, 2008, 12:34 AM   #1811
Nematocyst

Pirate and Edged1, welcome.

Pirate, don't worry about whether what you say has any "value" or not. None of the rest of us worry about that.

We just like talking with other Marlin owners. That's what counts.

Old July 15, 2008, 09:12 AM   #1812
Landlocked Pirate

Quote:
Thanks for the great read. I am still trying to decide if this will be my social rifle or if something with a magazine feed.
FWIW, Jeff Cooper recommended a lever 30-30 over for social situations.

Cooper quotes:

Quote:
This is the centennial of the great Model 94 Winchester, one of the outstanding artifacts of modern times. It is unsound to make the claim that any one instrument "won the West," but the 94 was the mainstay of the wilderness during the early years of the twentieth century, and in the days of my youth it was a rare household that did not contain one. This excellent weapon is still with us today, and rendering good service wherever it is found. It you do not own one, you should get one, and not only for the sake of sentiment. If the public scene turns nasty, as some say it may, you will be far better off with an M94 in 30-30 than you will be with an SKS, AK47, or an M16.
Quote:
The new "weapon of the masses" seems to be the Chinese version of the Kalashnikov. It is not very accurate, nor very powerful, nor very well made - but it is cheap, and this matters very considerably. It is not as good a weapon technically or tactically as a Winchester or Marlin lever action 30-30, but it is a self-loader, and that makes a great difference to a lot of moderns who feel that they must have semi-automatic fire in order to "keep up."

Note that Mike Root, our man in Cuchillo, cleaned up the iron sight category at the last Keneyathlon with his 30-30. I do not think anyone is likely to do that with an AK47, or clone thereof.
When I consider just how a rifle would likely be used in the event of a riot or other civil disturbance (not talking about military combat) I think a 30-30 levergun would be just about ideal. I'm not speaking from experience, but just what seems logical to me.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:22 AM   #1813
Z_Infidel

Quote:
When I consider just how a rifle would likely be used in the event of a riot or other civil disturbance (not talking about military combat) I think a 30-30 levergun would be just about ideal. I'm not speaking from experience, but just what seems logical to me.
I agree. A good levergun has many characteristics that make it desirable, such as excellent handling qualities, it's a repeater with decent capacity that can be topped off, is accurate enough for practical applications, and many levergun cartridges are commonly available. A good bolt gun is also a fair choice, as bolt guns are simple and rugged. I wouldn't feel too badly if my CZ550FS with full forestock and ghost ring sights in .30-06 was my only rifle, though on most days my leverguns are my favorites.
Old July 15, 2008, 10:48 AM   #1814
Landlocked Pirate

Quote:
A good levergun has many characteristics that make it desirable, such as excellent handling qualities, it's a repeater with decent capacity that can be topped off, is accurate enough for practical applications, and many levergun cartridges are commonly available
I also like the fact that the levergun, along with a bolt rifle, is more compact due to not having thingies like magazines and pistol grips sticking out of the bottom of it at right angles.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1815
edged1

Landlocked,

I agree with Col Cooper and the capabilities of the 30/30. Since I am in the Air Force I have carried the M16 in one variant or another for the past 20 plus years. Making the decision on which one will be the one I focus one is a tough decision for me right now.
Old July 17, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1816
Boris Barowski

Just bought an exact twin of the 336W I already own.

found one in excellent condition for about half the conventional price.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1817
JustsayMo

Testar77 wrote; "I know there are a few different types out there, so I want some reviews of the different types. I was initially going to just put the normal buckhorn sight on it, but I figured before I did I would get some reviews of what else is out there."

This is what I have tried.
Stock Marlin "semi buckhorn". It took me a while to master them but I've found these to be very good sights. I've had them on several Marlins in 22, 357, 44, 30-30 and 45-70. I will admit that I like the stock Winchester sight slightly better and it is better looking (less bulky) too.

The old Marlin "BB gun" style sights function just fine too. Cheap looking but do the job.

The Marbles semi buckhorn that comes on the Cowboy versions are very good. Even with my aging eyes I can usually shoot these pretty well. I like the adjustability and they work well when you need to do some hold over as the arms above the notch are not too far apart so alignment can be done more precisely.

I have some open fire sights that are very visible in low light but the large front bead makes precision a little more difficult. I like the set screw and elevation adjustments and they look pretty good on my 1895 GS. Good for aging eyes.
Old July 21, 2008, 01:10 AM   #1818
Nematocyst

Just back home from 10 days in a nearby city.

And what a city it is: excellent food, great beers, fine friends, phenomenal bicycling (designated bike boulevards).

Even work was a hoot.

Yet even though I haven't shot it in months, I missed my 336.

After a brief love affair with my little 1894C,
I think I'm falling in love all over again with this rifle.
Feels like the 336 may be the one I want to spend my limited time with.
(Along with the 39A ...)

(Even having thoughts about selling the '94C ... )

Pirate & Boris, welcome.

Congrats on the 'new' one, Boris.

Quote:
... more compact due to not having thingies like magazines and pistol grips sticking out of the bottom of it at right angles.
Seconded.

I love the way this rifle just carries so naturally in the hand, balanced right there while you walk.

And so versatile. Everything from mid-sized to small game, HD, social work if necessary.

Speaking of social work, I've got a question. (See below.)

Last edited by Nematocyst; July 21, 2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added a link
Old July 21, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1819
Nematocyst

This is specially for you reloaders.

If you were going to load up one or more rnds for the 336 specifically for social work - ranging from HD to a situation where you might need to use it for, um, say, neighborhood disturbances where deer aren't involved, and distances are more likely to be 50 yds or less - what would it/they be?

And, let's make this an essay question: why?

Old July 21, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1820
Landlocked Pirate

Quote:
(Even having thoughts about selling the '94C ... )
I've kind of gone back and forth between my 336W and my 1894, too, and like you I've decided on the 336 as my go-to gun. But with six .357 revolvers laying around (my three plus the ones my sons own) I think that, since I already own it, having the carbine in the same caliber is an asset whether it's used a lot or not.
Old July 21, 2008, 10:53 AM   #1821
JustsayMo

Nem for the scenario you have put forth the 1894 sounds like the perfect fit...

However... If all I had was the 336 I would probably use the 170 grain cast bullet over 5 grains of Red Dot.
-Accurate well beyond the 50 yard limitation
-Better penetration than a handgun
-Less penetration than full power rifle loads, typically stopping inside of 4" in wood backstops
-Recoil is almost nil so sights never come off the target and followups can be made as fast as you can work the action.
-Report/muzzle flash is such that a shot would be less likely to reveal your position than the muzzle blast from full power loads.
-Cycles flawlessly in my 336's and Winchesters
-MUCH easier on the ears, especially if shooting indoors.
-comparatively cheap shooting, <$0.15 per round buying the bullets (not counting brass which is typically inexpensive or free).

500 Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 170grain bullets = $57.25 shipped ($104.50 for 1000)
http://www.laser-cast.com/30Cal.html
1 pound of Red Dot = $18.99 (good for more than 2000 loads at 5 grains ea)
1000 primers = $28

Not counting your time or the brass and assuming you have at least a Lee Loader (18.99 @ Cabelas http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ader&noImage=0 ) you can have a lot of plinking, practice and situationally adequate ammo for under $200 with components left over to make more.

...And all that will fit in a box that a pair of boots comes in so if you need to get out of Dodge quick it won't take up a lot of space in the rig
Old July 21, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1822
ECVMatt

Trying Pictures of my CAR again

Let see if it works this time.

Thanks,

Matt
Old July 21, 2008, 03:11 PM   #1823
Landlocked Pirate

Well that's great. Just when I had decided to keep the wood on my 336 you put up those pictures and now I can't decide again. Thanks.
Old July 21, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1824
papajohn

Nem, I know money's tight, but please don't sell the 1894C, it's just too handy to be without, and no matter what you got for it, it would always be a move you'd later regret. Trust me on that.

My 1894C is my current favorite Marlin, cheap to shoot, as accurate as I am on any given day, and good for all kinds of chores out to 125 yards or so. Mine wears the 2X7 Scout Scope, and is as handsome and useful as can be.

It might not be the perfect bugout rifle, but it'd do in a pinch, and ten rounds of 357 at about 1900 fps will handle a lot of chores. Were I to be taking on an army of angry moose, the 35 Remmy or the 30-30 wins hands down. Fortunately, that hasn't happened yet. But please hang on to the '94!

PJ
Old July 21, 2008, 05:17 PM   #1825
Nematocyst

<PJ grabs Nem with both hands by the collar & shakes him gently as a friend as if to talk sense back into him>

Quote:
Nem, I know money's tight, but please don't sell the 1894C, it's just too handy to be without, and no matter what you got for it, it would always be a move you'd later regret. Trust me on that ... please hang on to the '94!
OK, you're being pretty persuasive there.

Truth be told, I don't really want to sell it, but you're right, money's tight.
Still, I like the idea of a pistol caliber carbine to match my .357 mag revolver & .38 spl snub.

It honestly does seem to fit better than the 336 for walk-about (like day hiking and longer trips).

I'll confess also: one thing that concerns me about it, and motivated me to consider selling (that is, if I was going to sell one anyway, here's another reason), is that it's not cycling well. It hangs up; cartridges won't feed from the magazine into the chamber w/o the action locking up. Yes, that's with .357 mag rnds.

Admittedly, it's still relatively new and stiff. It's had shamefully few rnds put through it; hasn't even been properly sighted, let alone change out the sights. (I got it just before sinking into this business abyss a few months ago that has prevented any range time.)

Any suggestions about the jam issue? Do you find some rnds feed better than others?
(I may start another thread to discuss that more ... since we are in a 336 thread here,
but I don't think the OP will mind much if we talk about it here some ... )