Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 8 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old March 15, 2007, 12:23 PM   #176
Z_Infidel

Tang sight info:
http://www.marblescutlery.com/cowboy.../peeptang.html

XS Ghost Ring sight info:
http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
Old March 15, 2007, 11:24 PM   #177
Fred Fuller

SSN Vet,

You have PM re. that sight you mentioned...

lpl/nc

MINDSET - SKILLSET - TOOLSET - IN THAT ORDER! -with props to COL John Boyd, USAF
http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/john_boyd/
Old March 17, 2007, 10:37 AM   #178
electrode1998

Talking scope

Hey guys,
I am looking at the leupold 2.5x28 scout scope. So far the best price I have found is at Cabella's for about $270. Add a set of rings and you are easily at $300. This is not a problem but does anyone know of another place that may have a better deal?
Old March 17, 2007, 10:41 AM   #179
electrode1998

Talking sighting

I am looking for a good instruction book or dvd on how to sight in a rifle and scope. I can get one done for free here if I buy the scope from the store but their prices are a bit high. I also do not have easy access to a long distance range to shoot over 25 yards. So I have to work the conversion to do any long distance sighting.
Old March 17, 2007, 11:09 AM   #180
JustsayMo

Electrode,
Check out your library for books on Marksmanship. There is a lot of good information.

My guess is the local shop will "bore sight" your new scope which will probably get you on the paper but I wouldn't recommend you use it for hunting. Every year during hunter sight in at our club LOTS of guys show up with new rifles that are bore sighted at the shop. I make them start at 25 yards and get it close before I let them go to the 100 yard lanes. They are usually amazed how far they are off.

Also keep in mind that different ammo will print differently. In my 336 150's print 6" higher than 170gr. Different brands print differently too and some don't group at all (my 336 hates 170gr Corelokts but my Bro-in-law's Winchester shoots them into 1" at 100 yards...)
Old March 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #181
skud_dusty

Wow, the pics in this thread bring back some fond memories from about 10 years ago when my dad was teaching me how to shoot. He passed down to me his winchester model 94 .30-30, which his father passed down to him. Everytime I see these short barreled lever action rifles I fall in love with shooting all over again.
Old March 17, 2007, 02:18 PM   #182
oregonhunter

I have a leupold 1-4x-28 scout that I could sell you for $200 It is in perfect condition gloss black. I have pics if you are interested.
Old March 17, 2007, 05:23 PM   #183
Nematocyst

Quote:
...the leupold 2.5x28 scout scope...
E'trode, OpticsPlanet has it listed at $259. I haven't priced rings there yet, but UPS shipping is free.

Funny, though, my local shop has the same scope for exactly the same price.
Usually they're at least $20-30 higher than internet prices.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:02 PM   #184
Otony

Okay, I am in.

I have a 336 Texan in the safe, straight grip, walnut stock, brass saddle ring. I refinished the walnut due to previous owners nicks and scratches, and found a pretty darn fancy piece of walnut! Slimmed the fore-end in the process as well.

It currently sports a Williams peep, only until such time as I can find an older all steel receiver sight. Or if my eyes worsen to needing a low power scope, perhaps a Weaver V3 or Leupold 2.5x.

I also have a 30TK, which was a special run for K-Mart. Slim fore-end (beech?), straight grip, half magazine, 18.5" barrel. I wrote was as it is currently being rebarreled to .25-35 with a 24" Douglas barrel. It will also receive a fancy set of walnut, plus the 2nd all steel receiver sight I find! If I find another 30TK, the second one will remain intact and become my truck gun.

Third up is not exactly a 336, but it uses the same action more or less. An early re-pop 1895 .45-70 Government. It has the early straight grip, very nice walnut(thank you Marlin!) which was slimmed down and refinished, half magazine, and a sorely needed recoil pad (solid black Deccelerator). Also has a Williams peep, waiting for the third steel peep I find!

Last, but far from least, is a very clever little Marlin 1894 Cowboy .357 Magnum. 20" tapered octagon barrel, uncheckered walnut, straight grip (do we detect a theme here?). It will be soon be equiped with an all brass (fooled ya!) Skinner peep.

As a lefty, I find myself using lever guns for a practicality stand point, but the fact is I would like Marlins in any case, left, right, or ambi.

And just to make sure you high power boys don't feel left out, I have a Browning BLR .30-06 also. All steel, straight grip, and a Weaver V3. Gotta love a lever!
Old March 17, 2007, 06:13 PM   #185
Nematocyst

Otony, welcome to the club! The edit window has closed on the roster post two pages back, so I'll formally add your name to the next edition of the membership list.

Awesome sounding collection. (By the way, club membership costs an extra $5 if no pictures are posted. ) {For the humor impaired: only kidding. }

Would you and/or others kindly offer a few more words about the history of that 30TK? Is the model designation really something as easy as "Texan K-mart"? Is it identical to 336 otherwise? Did it have Marlin's name on it, or is that one of the Glenfields?

Thanks,

Nem
Old March 17, 2007, 06:16 PM   #186
electrode1998

scope

Hey Nem,
I just lucked out and found the same scope on sale for $180. I checked it was new in box and perfect. Needless to say I grabbed it and ran as fast as I could pay for it.
Old March 17, 2007, 06:17 PM   #187
electrode1998

oreghunter,
Thanks anyway I found my scope on sale
Old March 17, 2007, 06:18 PM   #188
Matt King

Ok you 336 guys, I have a question. How easy would it be to cut the barrel down to 18 inches on a 336?
Old March 17, 2007, 06:31 PM   #189
Nematocyst

Question Seeking ghost ring installation advice

So, as I mentioned during the week, I installed the XS ghost rings (rear and new front post) this week. Haven't taken them to the range yet. (Hopefully next week on a weekday. (Dang tempted to go today - it's BEAUTIFUL out - but on weekends, especially days like this - the range can be a pretty crowded place and just a little..., um freneitc. )

But I digress. I have two questions that border on too simple to ask, but - you never know.

1) The GR's came with a small tube labeled "SUR-LOK 1262". There are general directions on the bag the tube is in, but no reference to it on the actual sight installation directions printed by XS. (* see below). So, should this sur-lok definitely be used, or is it optional? I understand the principle: to keep the fasteners from backing out. But I'm wondering

2) My stock front ramp sight had only one fastener. The new XS front ramp has two. I've attached it with one fastener (in the rear hole of the ramp). I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to have my gunsmith tap another hole, right? (I'm going to have him install a limb saver soon, anyway, so...)

Thanks,

Nem

*: A few comments about the installation directions (just venting here; nothing really important): I found them to be pretty maddening - - a large (long but narrow) sheet, hyper-folded (as in road map) into a 4" X 6" package with directions for every gun the sites fit (including directions for handgun sights) except 336! Some of it is printed upside down relative to other parts on the same side. I found it very inconvenient to decipher. Heads up XS: I liked your service very much (friendly people answering questions articulately), and so far I like your sights, but the installation directions need some work. )
Old March 17, 2007, 06:35 PM   #190
Nematocyst

E'trode, nice! Congrats on the scope. What a bargain!

Quote:
Ok you 336 guys, I have a question. How easy would it be to cut the barrel down to 18 inches on a 336?
Tex, I'm really glad you asked that question. I'll save my reasoning for another time.
(It's just too nice outside right now to be behind this computer screen ... must ... go ... outside ... )

But I look forward to reading responses. I'd also like to hear opinions about the consequences of doing so, especially in terms of the trade off between handling (quicker pointing, especially in brush and dense cover) v. velocity etc.

<...prying fingers off keyboard connected to discussions of my favorite rifle... >
Old March 17, 2007, 06:39 PM   #191
Karate

I'm in
Old March 17, 2007, 09:21 PM   #192
Otony

The 30TK is at my 'smith, waiting for its new barrel, but I seem to strongly recall that it was marked Marlin and not Glenfield.

It has uncheckered beech (birch?) stocks, with the forend retained by a band. Sort of an unusual configuration, as the forend was slim like a Winchester 94, had the barrel band, but sported a half magazine. It also had an odd barrel length, 18.5". Typically, Marlin uses forend caps when combined with half magazines, so it was an "oddun" all the way around.

You are probably correct in assuming that it stood for Texan K-Mart, while the 30 is what Marlin used to designate their Glenfield line, although I am sure this is marked Marlin. Sort of a Frank-lin (Frankenstein-Marlin, heh-heh). It was, apparently, a hodge-podge of new and old parts laying around the plant. BTW, we have a new steel forend cap for the walnut stocks that will be installed, plus the ever so slighty crescent buttplate that used to reside on my .45-70 1895, ouch!

As a Californian (not for too much longer, sigh), I am familiar with the Marlin 1894's and 336's that Big5 sold for a few years. Those were also marked Marlin, and identical to cataloged items, save for, you guessed it, beech stocks. Another example of an un-cataloged rifle turned out for a price to match the order of a retailer. I would not be surprised if some of these orders are suggested and encouraged by Marlin to use up parts laying about.

I have always wondered what size order it would take to get Marlin to make a special order run. Say for example we specified a straight grip 336 with a forend cap, uncheckered walnut, and round 24" barrel. Would it take 100? 300? Or make an easier order, 336 Stainless with straight grip! They have ALL the parts for that right now (and probably for the 24" rifle as well).

It isn't economically feasible for a company to cater to everyone's needs and desires, but if enough enthusiasts got together, well..........
Old March 17, 2007, 11:06 PM   #193
Z_Infidel

Texas: I had the barrel on my 336C cut down as part of a customization project I had done by Mic McPherson. The mag tube was also shortened to half-length. I looks similar to a 336TK only with a pistol grip stock. I wouldn't try it myself, but some people may have the skills to do it without help of a gunsmith. Mine turned out very nicely -- the rilfe balances great and is very quick on target.

Nem: I suggest calling XS for any installation questions. As you said, they are very helpful. I did use the SUR-LOK on my threads, and from past experience I know they can still be backed out if need be. As for the front sight, my 336C has two holes. My 336XLR also has two holes, but they are drilled with a different length between them than the 336C. I explained to XS and they sent me what they refer to as a "universal" front sight that is made to be used by threading one screw into a threaded hole and another that tightens itself on the barrel. It works perfectly on the XLR. You might want to give XS a call and ask if that's what you need for your rifle.
Old March 18, 2007, 09:57 AM   #194
the lone gunman

Here is mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marlin 336.JPG (318.3 KB, 376 views)
Old March 19, 2007, 02:32 AM   #195
Nematocyst

Z,

Good advice re calling XS. Will do.

Lone,

What struck me first about your 336 was the dark wood.
Purty. Very purty.

After that, I grasped that it was a .32.

Very interesting.

This rifle has a richer history than I understood before.
Old March 19, 2007, 10:29 AM   #196
cavman

Got mine (a 336SS) from MikeSr. here on THR. I think it has been great.

Since leaving VA, however, where I could shoot rifles easier, I haven't shot it.

A strange story. Was shooting it a couple weekends a month for a few months and was getting pretty good at it, when one day it shot a foot above target at 100yards!

Fiddled around and that is where the group remains I guess.

My Isaac Walton league can shoot rifles but one has too shoot out of what looks like someone's converted woodshed, through another woodshed and I can't bring myself to enter to continue to try and figure out what is up.

There is a Range up the road in Turmont, MD, however that I am thinking of joining as they have more "normal" shooting conditions.

Glad to join the THR 336 club

cavman
Old March 19, 2007, 10:54 AM   #197
fiVe

Z_Infidel: Please post a picture of your cut-down 336.
Old March 19, 2007, 11:01 AM   #198
Z_Infidel

fiVe: Okay, I will try to take a pic and post it or email it when I get a chance.
Old March 19, 2007, 12:10 PM   #199
SSN Vet

Need a hammer spur.

Hey 336 Mates,

Any one willing to help a guy out and part with their hammer spur?

Bought my 336C used years ago and didn't get the spur with it.

Come on now....you're likely going to lose it in the drawer if you don't send it to aide my "worth cause"

willing to pay a fair price.

Maine Constitution Article 1, Section 16. To keep and bear arms.
Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.
Old March 19, 2007, 05:06 PM   #200
Nematocyst

Quote:
Z_Infidel: Please post a picture of your cut-down 336.
Ooooh, yes, please. And please post here rather than email so we can all see!

SSN, I'm going to hang onto my spur for a while longer. Haven't made final sighting decisions on this one yet (though now that I've put on the GR, and feel they're likely to stay, I 'spect a scope will be a scout).

Still, have you considered contacting Marlin and see if they'll send you one gratis? Couldn't cost 'em squat, and they should be willing to provide you with such a tiny part for a rifle that didn't come with one a long time ago.

You could just mention that you're a member of The 336 Club. We carry a lot of weight there.
Why, I was talking with Marlin's president over dinner last weekend, and ...

(And if you believe that, I've got a very nice piece of
beach front property up in WA state for sale for only $2/sf
)