Quantcast
The 336 Club - Page 85 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Rifle Country

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 12, 2008, 03:19 PM   #2101
paintballdude902

mo me too its just something that has a little more power than the dirt thirty that i love but before the .35 i have a .30-06 and a .45 to purchase so unless i find a screaming good deal its gonna have to wait because that new marlin xl7 is screaming to me

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old November 12, 2008, 03:39 PM   #2102
Shawnee

Here's mine...

Old November 13, 2008, 07:10 AM   #2103
macanudo14

well I don't hunt so unfortunately there won't be any pics. I only had time to put 10 rounds down range in maine. And unfortunately there are no public clubs here in RI that allow centerfire rifles . So hopefully we'll go back up after christmas and then I'll have to bring the camera and tripod for some good pics of the target as I put holes in it. Although I'll say this for the gun I fired it straight out of box, iron sights only, and no adjustments. I put all 10 rounds within a CD at about 70 yards, it's a real accurate gun
Old November 13, 2008, 05:03 PM   #2104
paintballdude902

shawnee switch that english with a western and ur set i love riding but hate english saddles lol

mac its a great gun u wond be disappointed

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old November 13, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2105
fptalbert

So here's a question from a new member. I have recently purchased an MXLR and want to use both iron sights and a scope. Cake and eat ....
So I bought a Leupold QR base and ring set. However, the QR base is too tall to use the existing sights. Can't see em. So, anyone have any suggestions as what to replace the existing iron sights with and still use the Leupold base? Thanks, in advance. PT
Old November 13, 2008, 06:30 PM   #2106
JustsayMo

A solution - but not a less expensive one - is to buy the XS scout mount rail, a long eye relief scope and some Skinner sights...

I "scouted" one of my Marlin 336's and used the Leupold QR rings and it worked well. Picture at http://www.grovestreet.com/PicPage.do?id=1057734

Probably not much help but it is an option. Good luck and be sure to share any solutions you come up with.
Old November 13, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2107
paintballdude902

this isnt a cheap option either but..

what my father did to his 03 when he was my age was have a flip off scope mount i dont know who makes them now but he had a smith do it for him

the scope was locked in place but when you pressed a button it unlocked and then you could fold it to the side

you could also look into some taller sights you would have to replace both front and rear though

Old November 14, 2008, 07:00 PM   #2108
macanudo14

is there anywhere to get just a fiber-optic front sight? or even just a brighter front sight than the brass bead?? I don't mind the rear sight cause I'm hopefully getting a scope for x-mas but that brass bead isn't cutting it
Old November 14, 2008, 07:53 PM   #2109
paintballdude902

yeah just look around the net i know they sell them

try midwayusa.com

edit

http://www.opticsplanet.net/truglo-m...fle-sight.html

Old November 15, 2008, 06:45 AM   #2110
macanudo14

thanks
Old November 15, 2008, 02:04 PM   #2111
paintballdude902

there are a few more just search the webz

Old November 15, 2008, 04:50 PM   #2112
B BRI

Add me the list . . . just picked up a nice 35 Rem last week.

Lots of good info here . . .

Now I've always been a brand W kind of guy when it came to lever guns, but this Marlin just fits right, can't wait to send a few downrange. I can see a new addiction kicking in - stopped by the local gun peddler yesterday and there in the used rack was a 44 Mag 1894 . . . yup that one's on layaway now . . .

Been shooting the 35 Rem for 25+ years out of my Remington Model 8, so I am already in love with the round and what those 200gr slugs do to deer and such.
An armed society is a polite society . . . "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington
Old November 15, 2008, 04:53 PM   #2113
B BRI

wow . . . how long have I been lurking ? ? ?

B BRI

. . . only took me 5 years to post something here !
An armed society is a polite society . . . "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington
Old November 16, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2114
paintballdude902

well nem i discovered the .30-30 isnt the best gun for a black bear this weekend

i got charged by a sal

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=406692

Old November 18, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2115
chuck4570

I would like to be a proud to be a member to this club, last season my 2 sons wanted to do a retro deer hunt using iron sighted lever actions, and since I handed mine down to 1 of my sons years before this, I found myself in need of one. I decided on a Marlin 336, and started looking at gun shows for good used ones instead of a new one, I was very lucky and found one in 35 Remington that was manufactured in 1950 (first year of production for the 35), and it was beautiful. The original owner bought it in 1950 for $76.27 (original receipt in case) and used it for a couple of years, until passing away, and it stayed in his gun case cared for by his son who did not hunt, until last year when he decided the guns were getting to much to take care of, lucky me!

sorry having trouble adding a photo.
Please see here.
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/q...0/CIMG0025.jpg

Chuck

Last edited by chuck4570; November 18, 2008 at 12:42 PM. Reason: comment
Old November 18, 2008, 02:47 PM   #2116
Coyote Hunter

Hey Justsayno,

Sorry for the delay, still deer hunting here in KY...the ammo is factory soft point. I'm gonna half to get me a scope next year, my eyes are starting to dim a little more than I thought. Will try some of those Leveraction rounds next year. Had three does about 150-200 yards out in the field last night, but too far for the factory rounds and my eyes. Didn't want to maim one and loose it. This is the first year I've hunted from one of those tent blinds at the edge of an open combined corn field. Shots are father that I'm use to in the woods.
Old November 18, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2117
paintballdude902

chuck very nice rifle id love to have one

good luck with the hunt

Old November 22, 2008, 11:37 PM   #2118
Almond27

Hey new member checking just got my first 336 today in .30-30 made in 1969 and looks to be almost new. I bought it to hunt with but it is almost too nice for my First deer gun.
Old November 23, 2008, 01:31 PM   #2119
Almond27

bumping it up!!
Old November 24, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2120
Kentucky-roughrider

Cool, good with the new rifle
Old November 30, 2008, 03:44 AM   #2121
kiawahman

Just joined after reading some of the posts to this forum. Is this heaven? (hopefully not Idaho)

Had a Winchester model 94, 30-30 years ago, just fell back in love with lever actions this year when I picked up a Marlin 336RC, 35 Rem, at auction. Great firearm, and thanks to Hornaday ammunition (and a new Barska 4-9x40 scope) it's accurate up to 300 yards, and one of my favorites.

Some guns just cause your hands to melt right around them and not want to let go, that's the Marlin 336. This one is about my age, has been well cared for, and is already like an old & trusted friend. If I had to bug-out with one long gun, this would be it. It would be nice if 35 Rem ammunition was a little less expensive and as common as 30-30, but it's a 'one shot - one kill' type of tool, so I shouldn't complain.

I haven't read all 85 pages posted to this forum, so please foregive me if this information is redundant, but it's been very useful;
For Marlin parts - http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...del=082Zz336RC
For survivalist spare parts list - http://survivalpreps.blogspot.com/20...parts-kit.html
Disassembly - http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/marlin33.htm
And for tuning your Marlin LA - http://marauder.homestead.com/files/tuning_m_1894.htm

This internal simplicity and time-tested durability of the 336 make it a reliable go-to gun. Standard soft point ammo is good enough for 100 - 150 yards in brushy areas, the soft point Hornady for clear shots further out. I wanted a 500 yard .308 rifle, but I was looking at $1000 for a Savage FP or Remington VTR with a good scope. This 336 at $300 w/new scope fills the bill. I may not be using it at 500 yards, but here in Michigan you can seldom see 500 yards for all the trees, brush, and hills.

The only thing better than owning a Marlin lever action, is owning two.
Old November 30, 2008, 06:06 AM   #2122
Nematocyst

Last edited by Nematocyst; December 2, 2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old December 2, 2008, 11:51 PM   #2123
MidwestJay

Hi All,

I am new to the THR forum, new to The 336 Club, and new to gun ownership, in general. In fact, I just purchased my first rifle last week, and it is a Marlin 336. Since then, I have been fascinated by the history and following of this gun.

I need some help identifying exactly which model I own. Based on the serial number, I believe it was made in 1980, and it does not have a safety.

Are there a few key things to look for when trying to identify the specific model? I know, I know.... pictures will help. I agree. I'll do my best to get some up soon. I just thought I would ask in case there are any "obvious" indicators.

Thanks!
Jason
Old December 3, 2008, 12:22 AM   #2124
csaws

Best, least expensive ammo and where to buy?
Fair Tax supporter

Conservative

Our founding fathers were wise in drafting the constitution a guard against tyranny was written into the second amendment. In order for a free people to stay free they must be stronger than the government. An armed man is a sovereign citizen; a disarmed man is a subject.
Old December 3, 2008, 02:53 AM   #2125
paintballdude902

csaws

i actually like the plain jane winchester 150gr sp from walmart like 14 bucks or so and shoot good

but now i ca reload for half that so i do that unless im in a pinch and dont have time